Author Topic: Is It Possible To 1-Star a Book Without Reading It, Under Current Rules?  (Read 1725 times)  

Offline StephenBrennan

• Vancouver, BC
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Brennan.ca
Got into an argument with a troll the other day. Details aren't important, but it got pretty heated.

Today there's a fresh 1-star rating on one of my books. The first 1-star that book has gotten. It could just be a coincidence, especially since my dashboard hasn't registered any fresh sales or page reads, but I figured I'd ask if it's possible to just open a book in Unlimited and 1-star it.

I don't think it is, and it didn't hurt my star average either way. I just like to know these things.

Stephen Brennan | www.stephenbrennan.ca

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

• Ontario, Canada
    • I should probably be writing...
      • View Profile
    Re: Is It Possible To 1-Star a Book Without Reading It, Under Current Rules?
    « Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 07:43:55 pm »
    Yes.

Offline nightwork

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 07:57:41 pm »
    Got into an argument with a troll the other day. Details aren't important, but it got pretty heated.

Today there's a fresh 1-star rating on one of my books. The first 1-star that book has gotten. It could just be a coincidence, especially since my dashboard hasn't registered any fresh sales or page reads, but I figured I'd ask if it's possible to just open a book in Unlimited and 1-star it.

I don't think it is, and it didn't hurt my star average either way. I just like to know these things.

yes

you can leave reviews on amazon for items you didn't buy or open as long as you spend $50 a year on Amazon on something, anything

in other words, anyone can one-star your book without reading or opening it

your pen name loses their freedom of speech

Online H.C.

• Chengdu
    • Loving every minute
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 12:24:18 am »
    yes

you can leave reviews on amazon for items you didn't buy or open as long as you spend $50 a year on Amazon on something, anything

in other words, anyone can one-star your book without reading or opening it

your pen name loses their freedom of speech

Huh? Freedom of Speech means the government won't punish you for saying something unpopular. Not friends, family, or customers in a marketplace. I so wish people would stop making these silly FoS comments.

Offline jb1111

• PNW US
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 05:14:38 am »
    Huh? Freedom of Speech means the government won't punish you for saying something unpopular. Not friends, family, or customers in a marketplace. I so wish people would stop making these silly FoS comments.

You are confusing the US First Amendment with the actual concept of freedom of speech which goes back waaaay before the First Amendment was enacted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech
    « Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 05:18:21 am by jb1111 »

Offline Lady Runa

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 06:07:04 am »
    It is, but you can still write to support and ask for it to be taken down. I had a 1-star review removed that way. Mind you, it was obvious from the review that the reviewer hadn't read the book so I just said it created a "negative customer experience" :)

Storyteller

Online Carol (was Dara)

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 09:03:12 am »
    Anyone who's spent $50 on Amazon can review items without ever purchasing them. That's one reason some authors go anonymous online, or just avoid controversy altogether. It's all too easy for someone you don't even realize you're offending to "get even" by dropping a string of one stars on your catalog. Hard to say how often it happens, but it's always a risk if you share your name or book title.

Offline StephenBrennan

• Vancouver, BC
      • View Profile
      • Stephen Brennan.ca
    « Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 09:36:04 am »
    Thanks for all the feedback. It's strange, because I seem to remember Amazon throwing up all these obstacles for reviews a while back. Oh well. Guess it's a good thing in some ways.

Offline nightwork

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 05:23:51 pm »

i wasn't talking about your constitutional right to freedom of speech

i meant... and it was VERY CLEAR in context what i meant... that if you want to debate openly & honestly without being a fake phony friendly person, you need a different name in your social media that isn't attached to your pen name or your other business name

and you KNEW that's what i meant too

you picked a fight for fun, which proves my entire point

Offline jb1111

• PNW US
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: October 21, 2020, 06:39:03 pm »
    The starring thing, to me, is a double edged sword. I've gotten some one-stars without accompanying reviews, and have no idea who starred them, obviously, but I also have some three and four stars without reviews, too -- which are nicer to see.

I suppose a phantom one-star is better than a lengthy diatribe accompanying a one star, which also happens to authors. I've had it happen, and there have been posts on KB about such reviews and one-stars.

It seems to go with the territory. Ya can't please everybody....

Online ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #10 on: October 21, 2020, 08:08:44 pm »
    i wasn't talking about your constitutional right to freedom of speech

i meant... and it was VERY CLEAR in context what i meant... that if you want to debate openly & honestly without being a fake phony friendly person, you need a different name in your social media that isn't attached to your pen name or your other business name

and you KNEW that's what i meant too

you picked a fight for fun, which proves my entire point

In point of fact, it wasn't clear to me, either. I had no idea what you meant until I read your clarification just now. I just couldn't be bothered to comment on it at the time.

Offline Doglover

• Cambridge, United Kingdom
    • If you want real love, buy a dog.
      • View Profile
      • Margaret Brazear Author
    « Reply #11 on: October 22, 2020, 06:00:07 am »
    I left a review the other day on a book I bought in a charity shop. You don't need to have KU or open the book; you only need to have spent your $50 in a year.

I have a few one stars from people I've argued with on forums. I got one from someone because I live alone with my dogs; that's why I write romance, apparently. Obviously a man! I prefer my dogs.  :-[

The past is another country; they do things differently there
    Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Newsletter

Offline A past poster

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: October 22, 2020, 12:36:17 pm »
    I left a review the other day on a book I bought in a charity shop. You don't need to have KU or open the book; you only need to have spent your $50 in a year.

I have a few one stars from people I've argued with on forums.
    That's the danger of anonymous stars. There is no transparency. Anyone can leave them with no reason given.

Offline unkownwriter

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: October 23, 2020, 03:56:42 pm »
    You are confusing the US First Amendment with the actual concept of freedom of speech which goes back waaaay before the First Amendment was enacted.

And that means not a thing to Amazon. Someone leaving a review per guidelines is allowed, and does not restrict your right to free speech.

Online H.C.

• Chengdu
    • Loving every minute
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: October 23, 2020, 06:56:56 pm »

And that concept has NOTHING to do with this topic. Someone one-staring a book regardless of the reason is THEIR FoS. You want to silence it. How is that FoS???

Offline Sheri LHP

• View Profile
      • Light Hand Proofreading
    « Reply #15 on: October 23, 2020, 11:56:26 pm »
    It is sometimes very difficult to sit on one's hands and stay out of the fray. The price of doing business online.  ;D
    You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." C.S. Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/lighthandproofreading/

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns."
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #16 on: October 24, 2020, 11:37:59 am »
    Yes, it is. I recently got a one-star because of a Facebook post. She even said so in the review.
    My Bestselling, 18-volume Jesse McDermitt Series and the spinoff,  5-volume Charity Styles Series, also bestsellers, are available in ebook, audiobook, and paperback, wherever books are sold. In my motivational non-fiction, Blue Collar to No Collar, I provide tips, advice, and strategies for new authors, also available in the same formats. Don't forget to visit the Ship's Store for Jesse McDermitt swag.
    Wayne Stinnett | Website | Facebook | Amazon Author Page | Twitter | Talk Write Podcast | Ship's Store

Offline Bite the Dusty

• I was being patient. But it took too long.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: October 24, 2020, 12:45:52 pm »
    Yes, it is. I recently got a one-star because of a Facebook post. She even said so in the review.

At least she owned the pettiness. I don't get how people convince themselves stuff like this is worth the effort.

Offline StephenBrennan

• Vancouver, BC
      • View Profile
      • Stephen Brennan.ca
    « Reply #18 on: October 24, 2020, 01:22:26 pm »
    I did report it to Amazon. We'll see if they do anything.

Offline ScottThrower

• View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: October 24, 2020, 03:59:50 pm »
    I've seen one-star reviews left because shipping was slow. I don't think anyone looks at the stars too too seriously. In fact, a few dings makes a books rating look more realistic, IMO.

Scott Thrower

Offline BellaJames

• View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: October 25, 2020, 04:30:23 am »

Yes unfortunately I have seen people leaving a 1 star reviews because:

1. The paperback copy took long to be delivered.

2. There is a small handful of malicious authors leaving 1 star ratings or reviews because that author is stiff competition. I reported someone who was leaving 1 star reviews on dozens of romance short reads books and admitting that she had 'never read the book'. She was an author and started promoting her books in her reviews. This was a while back.

3. Some people leave 1 star reviews after reading the sample. Seen this mentioned too.

4. On Goodreads I see people leaving 1 star reviews because they don't like the cover (books in pre order stage), the description is offputting and sometimes it's simply that the authors last book was a 1 or 2 star read so they pre judge the next release. (I saw this with E.L. James)

5. Sometimes the author annoyed the reader on social media, maybe a heated argument or negative reaction to a past 1 star review. So that person gives them a 1 star review for their next book.

Offline BellaJames

• View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: October 25, 2020, 04:41:02 am »
    Anyone who's spent $50 on Amazon can review items without ever purchasing them. That's one reason some authors go anonymous online, or just avoid controversy altogether. It's all too easy for someone you don't even realize you're offending to "get even" by dropping a string of one stars on your catalog. Hard to say how often it happens, but it's always a risk if you share your name or book title.

I do agree with this and it's a shame that an author has to take so many precautions when online.

I have seen people get offended when someone said they prefer clean romance books to steamy books. If that person was an author and revealed their name, I could see a couple people dropping 1 star reviews on their books.

Social media can be toxic as hell for authors.

Offline JackHughes

• View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: October 27, 2020, 06:42:43 am »
    I just received a one-star review that was so unhinged and apparently based solely on a difference of political opinion -- although it's obvious the reviewer did not actually read the book -- that readers might be tempted to read/buy the book out of curiosity.

Maybe vicious reviews can be a plus sometimes?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement