Author Topic: Amazon Will Not Add A Box Set To My Series Page. Has Anyone Else Succeeded?  (Read 1308 times)  

Offline Thalstead

• View Profile
I just had this exchange with Amazon.
I asked them to add a box set of my first four books to my series page. They refused.
I asked why not. Their answer was that it was not possible.
Obviously, it is possible. They just refuse to do it.
The only explanation I can think of is that on the series page, there is presently a button to click allowing someone to buy all four books for 11.96.
I am selling the same four books in the box set for 7.99.
So, maybe they do not want to go to the trouble of deleting the check box?
I have two goals here. The first is to make sure anyone who wants to buy all four books does not pay four dollars extra for them. The second is to ensure anyone who wants to buy a title in the box set individually can do so without a separate search.
So, here is my question. Has anyone else asked Amazon to add a box set to a series page? What did they tell you?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Undercover Writer

• View Profile
    Not a box set, but I have four short stories in my longest-running series, and they are canon...numbered #2, #5, #6, and #7. They won't add them because they're short stories!

My thinking is, "So what? Please add them anyway!"

Sometimes I wonder what Amazon is thinking...

Offline ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    I believe they will only add single novels to the series page.

Offline Carol (was Dara)

• View Profile
    I've seen it done, but the author gave the box set a volume number (for example, book 7 of the Awesome Book Series). That throws off the numbering on all the later books in the series, so I'm not sure the advantage is worth the downside, personally.

Offline Thalstead

• View Profile
    Thank you for that info. I did add a number 5 in the same place for book details that I used to get books one through four on my series page. So, I do not think that was the problem.
    But since you have seen a box set on a series page, that tells me that either there has been a policy change, or there is some additional criteria I do not know about that I have not met.

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
    • Destroyer of Science Fiction
      • View Profile
      • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
    They refuse to do this, so I made a six-book series into two box sets and then made those two a series. They allowed that.

Offline Decon

• View Profile
      • Declan Conner, Blog
    Is there anywhere in their Terms and conditions where their policy re box sets is explained?

Scorpion ebooks: Full length  thrillers with a sting in the tale. All enrolled in KU & Prime.
    Declan Conner | blog

Offline Thalstead

• View Profile
    I could not find any written criteria regarding series page content.
    If written criteria did exist and I did not meet it, fair enough. Ditto if a reason that made sense existed for refusing to include a box set on a series page.
    The only reason I was given was this one. We cannot.
    So, now someone who goes to my series page and wants to buy all four books can check the box provided by Amazon and pay 11.96.
    Or, they could buy my box set and get the same four books for 7.99. In fact, I spent the money to create the box set because I got so many requests through my blog for a set with a discount, mostly from readers wanting to give them as a gift.
    But, from the series page they cannot see that a box set exists.
    As other posters have noted, in some cases boxed sets have been allowed. I have yet to hear a reason why it makes sense not to include a box set on a series page.

Online Simon Haynes

• View Profile
      • spacejock.com.au
    They refuse to do this, so I made a six-book series into two box sets and then made those two a series. They allowed that.

Same. 9 book series into 3 box sets, those three box sets into their own series page.

Also yWriter, free novel-writing software for Windows PCs. (Mac version in progress).

Offline RinG

• Brisbane, Australia
      • View Profile
    They wont do it because of the buy all button on the series page. It would be a poor customer experience if they bought the whole series only to discover that theyd paid extra for double ups.

Offline Thalstead

• View Profile
    That is exactly my point.  Right now, they can press that buy all books check box on the series page and pay 11.96. 
    And later discover they could have bought the box set with the same four books for 7.99.
    I am suggesting the buy all books check box on the series page should be removed, and the box set listed on the series page instead.
    That is how a poor customer experience could be avoided. 

Online Simon Haynes

• View Profile
      • spacejock.com.au
    But there's a valid advertising strategy (e.g. Bookbub ads) where you direct people to the series page instead of an individual book.

Also yWriter, free novel-writing software for Windows PCs. (Mac version in progress).

Offline Thalstead

• View Profile
    Agreed. But I am not proposing elimination of the series page.
    I simply want to add my box set to the series page so buyers can choose what they want.  Buy one or two books at the regular price.
    Or, buy all four books at a discount.
    I did not say buy three books at the regular price, since it is cheaper to buy all four in the box set than to buy three.

Offline Decon

• View Profile
      • Declan Conner, Blog
    I really don't understand box sets if someone could explain.

I will be publishing a trilogy available as individual books for the fist time. They will be numbered and with a series name but there will be no more. It will remain a trilogy.

I unerstand they set up a series page to buy all the individual books, but is it that you can set a lower price for all three?

I intended to market them via AMS as a box set and not the first book in the series where I have seen box set covers.

I guess my question is, is the series page optional, or can I upload a box set for marketing purposes, or both?

Do the allow a box set cover to be uploaded?

Any advice you could give me would be welcome as I should be publishing all three in time for Christmas or the early new year.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 07:52:54 am by Decon »

Scorpion ebooks: Full length  thrillers with a sting in the tale. All enrolled in KU & Prime.
    Declan Conner | blog

Online Azalea

• View Profile
      • Website
    I actually don't think adding a box set into a series page is a good idea, precisely because of that "buy the whole collection" button. If the series is long, or they're not paying attention, readers could easily essentially buy the series twice. I do think having the 1-click buy is a good idea, especially since it's an easy way for readers who've started the series some time ago and then forgotten about it to pick up everything they don't have at once.

However, there is a way to do what you want, Thalstead. An amazon store page dedicated to all the books in your series, including the box set. This has no one-click to get everything on the page, so readers can decide whether to get 1-2 books, while still seeing that a box set exists if they want to buy everything.

The problem? The ability to create one might not be available to all authors. It's something you can do through Amazon Advantage, but I don't believe they are accepting any new accounts, and they're even shutting down authors who got into Advantage before the policy changes. When capability for all ad types is finally ported over to the KDP Amazon Ads platform, you will likely have this feature.

@ Decon
    A series page is just a collection of all the books in the series, where people can go to see and buy all books at once. If you discount the individual books, the books in the series page will reflect that, but the series page has no capability to provide a discount. It's just a different type of buy page, really, more focused to your books rather than all the ads and also-boughts, etc.

As long as you correctly list your books as a series, the page will be automatically created. It is not optional. You can upload a box set, discounted from the full series price or not, for marketing purposes, yes. This has nothing to do with the series page and will not be allowed to be listed on the series page.

Series pages do not take short stories, novellas, or prequels, either. If a book is listed as any of those in the description, the current policy is to reject your request to add it to the series page. I know, because I just tried to add a novella to the end of my current series, and they turned me down. 

Offline Decon

• View Profile
      • Declan Conner, Blog

@ Decon
    A series page is just a collection of all the books in the series, where people can go to see and buy all books at once. If you discount the individual books, the books in the series page will reflect that, but the series page has no capability to provide a discount. It's just a different type of buy page, really, more focused to your books rather than all the ads and also-boughts, etc.

As long as you correctly list your books as a series, the page will be automatically created. It is not optional. You can upload a box set, discounted from the full series price or not, for marketing purposes, yes. This has nothing to do with the series page and will not be allowed to be listed on the series page.

Series pages do not take short stories, novellas, or prequels, either. If a book is listed as any of those in the description, the current policy is to reject your request to add it to the series page. I know, because I just tried to add a novella to the end of my current series, and they turned me down.

Thanks for the info.

MY other question is that after I have published the trilogy, I am going to work on WIPs I'd already started for 2nd and 3rd books to add to some of my standalone books.

I know you can't alter anything to do with the print books, but can you alter the meta data of the e-books and add the
    volume  numbers to the title page to have them set up a series page once you have 2 books?
    « Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 08:04:19 am by Decon »

Declan Conner | blog

Offline Thalstead

• View Profile
    Once again, I am proposing that the buy all books check box be eliminated if an author adds a box set to a series page.  So, double purchases would be impossible.
    I checked and the suggestion that I open an Amazon Store account as a solution is, as predicted, impossible.
    So, I guess customers will just be stuck paying four dollars extra to buy the books via the series page check box, unless they happen to see one of my ads for the box set.

Online Azalea

• View Profile
      • Website
    @Decon

Yes, if you later add onto a standalone book, making it a series, you can just go back into your KDP dashboard and update book 1 with series information that will link it and book 2 together. It's easy-peasy.

@Thalstead
    I understand what you're saying, but that's not Amazon's purpose for the series page. Either you push readers to the box set (perhaps by mentioning it in the blurb of the individual books, if you really don't want them to buy the individual books), or they have to do a little extra digging.

Offline Jude Thaddeus

• View Profile
    Not a box set, but I have four short stories in my longest-running series, and they are canon...numbered #2, #5, #6, and #7. They won't add them because they're short stories!

My thinking is, "So what? Please add them anyway!"

Sometimes I wonder what Amazon is thinking...

What if you put these short stories in a book and tried to add that?

Jude Thaddeus

Offline Thalstead

• View Profile
    Re: Amazon Will Not Add A Box Set To My Series Page. Has Anyone Else Succeeded?
    « Reply #19 on: November 18, 2020, 08:49:07 am »
    I am now running a 99c/99p Kindle Countdown on the 4-book box set. To my disgust, since the box set is not visible on the series page, readers continue to buy the individual books for $2.99.
    I added the box set to my author page. I also did a blog entry linked to my author page about the Countdown, hoping it would help.  Apparently it did not.
    Why not celebrate making the extra money? Because I really want people to get the box set, since if they like it I am pretty sure they will want the book I am writing now.
    Oh well. If any readers complain, at least I can honestly say I tried.

Offline unkownwriter

• View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: November 19, 2020, 05:15:56 am »
    You just have to deal with it. Amazon doesn't consider a box set part of a series, so they won't add it. Same with shorts. Many have suggested it be changed, but so far nothing is happening.

The best you can do is promote the box set, do the best you can to make readers aware. From looking at the ads on a sales page, it seems most everything an author has out will be listed, so if anyone looks, they'll see the box set.

From what I've learned from others, those who buy single books and those who buy box sets are different audiences. It's not always about saving money, it's about the way people read books.

Personally, I hate reading series, so a low priced box set will sometimes get me to click on that, because at least all the books are together (or part of the series, if it's a long one). Oddly, I'm never tempted to continue with the subsequent books as I find series are just fluff to extend a single story. But, others are crazy about series. Go figure. (That different audience thing.)

Offline Thalstead

• View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: November 19, 2020, 07:05:50 am »
    To unkownwriter.
    I hope my series is the exception to your general observation that they are fluff designed to pad out a single story. I agree that some series are exactly that.
    Mine is a series only in the sense that some of the characters repeat from book to book. Others, including protagonists, die and so dont continue.
    The story in every book ends, and each book is set in a different region.
    If you like thrillers, and are willing to part with 99 cents this week, I encourage you to give my four book series a try. Hundreds of five star reviews suggest it might be worthwhile!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement