Kindle Forum banner

Goodreads Choice Awards

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  SanchoPansa 
#1 ·
Is anybody having any luck voting? I saw the banner when I checked in this morning and I was able to vote in one category but since then it's just been showing 2019 results.

Also have gotten a 'server is too busy' error a couple of times.

#2 ·
I was able to get in and view all the categories.

In the end I didn't cast a vote because, as usual, I hadn't heard of most of the authors or any of their books, not even in the genres I read.

I did recognise a couple of famous names like Harlan Coben and Hilary Mantel, but I haven't read any of their 2020 books. I'm reminded every year when these awards come out that I obviously don't read mainstream books (assuming those nominated are mainstream).

EDIT: I saw that you could add your own choices which may or may not be added to the vote, so I tried that. If I have as much luck (that is to say, none whatsoever) as I do when recommending books at the library ......

#3 ·
I was able to do the first category -- general fiction -- and was (I think) able to add a book I'd read that wasn't listed. But then it kept hanging up on me and I couldn't get to the next category.

Tried again later -- to do mystery. The latest Louise Penny was NOT one of the ones listed so I tried to add it, but it wouldn't let me. And then, again, it kept hanging up and just taking me to the 2019 results.

edit to add: and just now I was able to get in and vote without getting kicked out. Still didn't vote in all categories -- did add in some of my own suggestions. it is nice that there is a link to take you to your book lists where it's sorted by date published so you can see what you read that was published this year.

#7 ·
I can view all the categories as well as cast a vote but I didn't. Like a person few posts above me I haven't read or heard about most of the books. Either I read different things or Goodreads picks are just their own and not really wider. Harlan Coben is a fantastic author but like many other famous names he pops one book a year and they are all in the same vein. They are good, don't get me wrong, but are they award worthy? Not really. I may look closer at few titles but I don't get my hopes up and I don't consider those awards a super serious event. Just like I stopped having any regards for NYT bestelling lists.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.