Author Topic: Going wide  (Read 809 times)  

Offline Trioxin 245

• View Profile
Going wide
« on: October 28, 2020, 07:14:51 am »
I've decided to go wide and had a few questions I am looking for help with.

1.  I am going to list on , B and N, Google Play, Kobo, Nook and that's it. Are any of the other sites worth the time? Any information I can find about some of them are  about two years old.

2. The pen I am going wide with has three different series. I do not plan on publishing anymore books under this pen. Should I stagger the releases like I would on Amazon? Or is best to upload everything at once?

3. Since I am only going to load these books and not any others, is it still worth going through draft 2 digital?

4.Any tips welcomed :)

Thanks

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Kathy Dee

• View Profile
    Re: Going wide
    « Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 07:36:13 am »
    I am going to list on , B and N, Google Play, Kobo, Nook and that's it. Are any of the other sites worth the time? Any information I can find about some of them are  about two years old.

Apple is the one notable store you missed.

The biggest impact I was personally able to make, when wide, was on Google Play. But these days, I am back in KU, with KENP reads just about making up for the shortfall in GP orders.

Good luck.

Offline CassieL

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 08:14:14 am »
    If you do Facebook you might want to check out Wide for the Win. They have some pinned posts at the top that walk through a lot of this, including a breakdown of which distributors get you on to which platforms, etc.

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.

Offline GrandmaBirdie

• Pecking-On-Keyboard, Terra
    • Everyone is a reader with an opinion that matters.
      • View Profile
      • Free Resources for Writers and Poets
    « Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 08:19:05 am »
    Try Smashwords and Google Play.

Smashwords distributes to:

Barnes & Noble
    Kobo
    Apple
    Library Direct
    Baker & Taylor's Axis 360
    Overdrive
    Scribd
    Gardners Extended Retail
    Odilo
    Gardners Library

If you use a quality conversion program like Jutoh, you can upload an epub to Smashwords, and you're done. The Smashwords Meat Grinder program is a tad touchy, so I recommend the Jutoh approach.

Jutoh can also produce the file you need for Google Play.

Offline alhawke

• View Profile
      • A.L. Hawke website
    « Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 08:19:38 am »
    Kobo, Apple (for sure, a top seller), B&N, Google Play. Those are the main ones. I've sold a book or two through Smashwords (their store) and Scribd otherwise.

A.L. Hawke | Author website | Goodreads | BookBub

Offline aimeeeasterling

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 10:19:05 am »
    1. Like everyone else says, add Apple. I also use both Draft2Digital and Smashwords to hit all the little stores (being careful to only use one distributor for each one). That's good for maybe $50 - $100 per month. In addition, if you write romance or anything borderline romantic, you might consider Radish. Lately, they've been beating Kobo and Apple for me.

2. I'd just throw it all out there at once.

3. See #1.

4. Make the first book in each series permafree. Apply to Bookbub as often as you can. Consider a permafree multi-author box set with other wide authors in your subgenre.

Try Shifter Origins and Shifter Origins II for FREE!
    Aimee Easterling | Aimee Easterling - Author Page | Facebook Page

Offline alhawke

• View Profile
      • A.L. Hawke website
    « Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 12:17:19 pm »
    In addition, if you write romance or anything borderline romantic, you might consider Radish. Lately, they've been beating Kobo and Apple for me.
    Interesting ... do you have any problems with price matching with Radish or payments with sales? These are always my concerns with lesser known retailers, but sounds like they're working very well for you.

Online Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
    • Destroyer of Science Fiction
      • View Profile
      • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
    « Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 12:46:30 pm »
    Join the Wide For The win Facebook group. No KU talk allowed! That's where we all hang out right now.

Offline nightwork

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: October 28, 2020, 12:49:58 pm »
    Interesting ... do you have any problems with price matching with Radish or payments with sales? These are always my concerns with lesser known retailers, but sounds like they're working very well for you.

radish is a phone app not an ebook retailer, people get chapters by using coins, no price is posted

price-matching issues for me come from amazon, google, apple, 99% of them being amazon not happy abt google &/or apple

Offline kwest

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: October 28, 2020, 06:20:45 pm »
    It feels like a lot of authors are making the transition right now. Myself included. Have been wide about a couple weeks waiting for that permafree read thru to trickle in ...

1. Use D2D if you hate the process of uploading everything to all vendors. That said, I like to use Wide Wizard which makes it pretty painless to upload a new book to all the major stores (seriously, look it up. Game changer!) I nickel and dime everything, though I do use D2D to upload to Apple. I did so in the past and sort of got locked into their ecosystem and don't want to lose my reviews.

2. I recommend uploading everything at once so it's out there and you can get the read through going immediately. The hardest part about wide is waiting for everything to kick in (that's the phase I'm in now).

3. I've had pretty good success with the permafree model but it's not for everyone. Something to consider.

4. Second for Wide for the Win group. Amazing resource. You'll find far more info there than anyone can write out here. Quite a few five, six, even seven figure wide authors there dishing their wisdom.

Offline alhawke

• View Profile
      • A.L. Hawke website
    « Reply #10 on: October 28, 2020, 08:26:03 pm »
    radish is a phone app not an ebook retailer, people get chapters by using coins, no price is posted

Thanks, Nightwork!

Offline Trioxin 245

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: October 29, 2020, 01:14:02 am »
    Cheers everyone, great advice.

Offline David VanDyke

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: October 31, 2020, 11:25:18 am »
    Go direct the the majors (KDP, GP, Nook, Kobo and Apple (the latter if you have a Mac or emulator--they just started with a new author page and promo system that will work in your favor--if not, use D2D for Apple)

Then upload to D2D and/or Smashwords to cover all the little cats and dogs. I make three figures a month from those little distributors, which helps keep me in Cheerios, even if it's not the major source of income.

Then start aggressively going after BookBubs for your permafrees. IMO that's the best way to kickstart your wide success.

Online Simon Haynes

• View Profile
      • spacejock.com.au
    « Reply #13 on: October 31, 2020, 12:19:50 pm »
    Back when I was wide I went Amazon, Kobo, Google Play and Smashwords.  (Back then aussies couldn't publish direct to B&N or Apple, although that's changed.)

I would still use smashwords because they reach a lot of other small stores as well. Just be sure to filter out the stores you're publishing to directly.

Also yWriter, free novel-writing software for Windows PCs. (Mac version in progress).

KBoards.com

• Advertisement