Author Topic: AudibleGate & what you can do about it!  (Read 6020 times)  

Offline ShawnaReads

• View Profile
Re: AudibleGate & what you can do about it!
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2020, 11:29:54 am »
Yeah, the new message from ACX seems to basically just say, "We hear you, and we're looking into it", which ... isn't exactly reassuring. It sounds a lot like a put-off. They need to stop giving their business partners vague reassurances with zero time frames.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online SusanMayWriter

• Perth, Western Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #51 on: November 12, 2020, 12:41:26 am »
    Yeah, the new message from ACX seems to basically just say, "We hear you, and we're looking into it", which ... isn't exactly reassuring. It sounds a lot like a put-off. They need to stop giving their business partners vague reassurances with zero time frames.

Exactly! I even saw a few people rejoicing that theyre listening. Give me a break if you havent been paying attention to this scam.

Let me remind everyone that Audible/ACX have been promoting the return of audiobooks for any reason, no questions asked, everywhere they can & it has grown to the point where that return number for authors is between 25-50%. They have been hiding that percentage from authors & when authors have asked up to ten times in the last three weeks for their returns data, theyve been ignored, brushed off or told no can do. In fact, many have asked more than a year ago & been sent on their way empty-handed.

Then they say, sorry, it hadnt been that bad. You just need to trust us on this. After all, were the best data collection and analyst company in the world but no matter where we look we just cant seem to find that pesky data that would prove what we say to you.

But, hey, heres 5% of nothing for a month. And if youre real good well let ya out in the exercise yard next month for a an extra hour a day. Now be good little feudal farmers & go back to writing books & please stop emailing us. You know we really care because we said so.

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns."
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #52 on: November 21, 2020, 06:39:21 am »
    I've just asked to be admitted to your Facebook group. I have 35 ACX/Audible audio books and have been selling with them since 2013. I had NO IDEA about any of this 'returns' problem. I tried to look on my ACX Dashboard to see if I could see any signs of returns, etc. I can't. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? Anyway, I will keep following this.

You have to look at individual days not a week or month. I've recorded daily sales of everything since I started seven years ago. If you look at a single day (and October 20 would be a good day to start with), you'll see that if a book had no activity on that day, it's simply not listed on the dashboard. If it did have activity, the cumulative number of sales for that day is shown. Even if it's zero. One sale and one return is a cumulative zero. So, count zeros as a known return. But it could just as easily be two sales and two returns. You might see a one, which would indicate one sale, right? Or it could be two sales and one return. Or five sales and four returns.

Audible's reporting is totally suspect.
    My Bestselling, 18-volume Jesse McDermitt Series and the spinoff,  5-volume Charity Styles Series, also bestsellers, are available in ebook, audiobook, and paperback, wherever books are sold. In my motivational non-fiction, Blue Collar to No Collar, I provide tips, advice, and strategies for new authors, also available in the same formats. Don't forget to visit the Ship's Store for Jesse McDermitt swag.
    Wayne Stinnett | Website | Facebook | Amazon Author Page | Twitter | Talk Write Podcast | Ship's Store

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns."
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #53 on: November 21, 2020, 06:44:38 am »
    Author's Guild has set up a petition page in advance of it's cease and desist letter. If you've been affected or just want to stand with those who have been, please consider signing on.
    https://www.authorsguild.org/industry-advocacy/sign-our-letter-and-tell-audible-to-stop-charging-authors-for-returns/
    My Bestselling, 18-volume Jesse McDermitt Series and the spinoff,  5-volume Charity Styles Series, also bestsellers, are available in ebook, audiobook, and paperback, wherever books are sold. In my motivational non-fiction, Blue Collar to No Collar, I provide tips, advice, and strategies for new authors, also available in the same formats. Don't forget to visit the Ship's Store for Jesse McDermitt swag.
    Wayne Stinnett | Website | Facebook | Amazon Author Page | Twitter | Talk Write Podcast | Ship's Store

Online SusanMayWriter

• Perth, Western Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #54 on: November 21, 2020, 08:35:57 am »
    Author's Guild has set up a petition page in advance of it's cease and desist letter. If you've been affected or just want to stand with those who have been, please consider signing on.
    https://www.authorsguild.org/industry-advocacy/sign-our-letter-and-tell-audible-to-stop-charging-authors-for-returns/

And make sure you share far & wide. This is an important letter.

Offline AugFul

• View Profile
    « Reply #55 on: November 24, 2020, 10:11:37 am »
    Audible will change their exchange policy, effective January 1, 2021

Apparently an email from ACX:

"...in recognition of these concerns, moving forward and effective as of January 1, 2021, Audible will pay royalties for any title returned more than 7 days following purchase. This adjustment does not impact our customers' current benefits of membership, and we look forward to continuing to welcome millions of first-time listeners, enabling our members to discover new content they enjoy and growing the audience for our valued creative partners."

Offline Loosecannon

• Western frontier
      • View Profile
      • Modus Operandi Press
    « Reply #56 on: November 24, 2020, 12:21:59 pm »
    Well, that's a positive concession on their part. But I still want them to be more transparent and give us full disclosure on Sales/Return details per month! Fight on!

Offline Sam Kates

• UK
      • View Profile
      • Sam Kates
    « Reply #57 on: November 24, 2020, 01:25:38 pm »
    Well, that's a positive concession on their part. But I still want them to be more transparent and give us full disclosure on Sales/Return details per month! Fight on!
    Also, the feeling seems to be we should press them to agree to a refund policy only if a maximum of, say, 30 percent has been listened to.

Offline Undercover Writer

• View Profile
    « Reply #58 on: November 24, 2020, 06:38:05 pm »
    That is a spit in the ocean. Here's what needs to be done:

1. We do not accept bearing the cost for the initial seven days of returns. Since, there's no guarantee that this will have any affect on the returns and they haven't supplied any proof that returns are "rare". In fact, we have proof that this is not the case and that there is no mechanism in place to identify those abusing the returns system, which is currently being advertised more like a library.

2. They must stop encouraging returns by advertising returns/exchanges as an easy process with "no questions asked" and "returns for any reason".

3. Returns should be limited to only if a book has been read for less than 20% (or not more than 30%).

4. Returns capped at seven days not 365 days, no matter who pays.

5. Further, we still require our returns data to be supplied, split into monthly reports for every audiobook since date of publication.

6. We require the dashboard to show a separate column for returns for each method of type of sale: AL, ALOP, ALC.

7. We need a posted, firm royalty rate that remains the same no matter how much Audible/Amazon prices the book.

8. We need control of our list prices.

Rights holders and narrators can no longer afford to produce audiobooks without proper accounting, review, and auditing of our sales. These are supposed to be our business partners, not people that take the lion's share of sales and pay us pennies.

Offline Marseille, France or Bust

• View Profile
    « Reply #59 on: November 25, 2020, 03:48:42 pm »
    2 years and counting down before I can remove my book from ACX. So disgraceful that they actually encourage people to unknowingly screw over authors. As if they are not making enough money.

Offline Becca Mills

• Global Moderator
    • California
      • View Profile
    « Reply #60 on: Yesterday at 12:57:38 am »
    A reminder that we don't badmouth other forums and groups here -- a longstanding rule.

Welcome! :)
    Read about using the Writers' Cafe here. Our larger "forum decorum" is here. The site's overall terms of use are here. Please be aware of this material.
    Troubleshooting: If you're having difficulties with advertising on KBoards, the contact email is [email protected] You can also use our PM system to contact the site's owners via the vsAdmin account. The Link-Maker and Author Signature Tool long longer function. There's a manual version of the former here and a workaround for the latter here.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement