Author Topic: Advertising Services?  (Read 520 times)  

Offline aaaalvin

• View Profile
Advertising Services?
« on: November 13, 2020, 05:17:30 am »
Could anyone recommend a good online advertising expert or service?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online alhawke

• View Profile
      • A.L. Hawke website
    Re: Advertising Services?
    « Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 08:09:09 am »
    Indies are a self-motivated bunch, right, so I think most of us do it ourselves. There are professional ad agencies you could look into, but tread carefully as they can be very expensive. I haven't bothered researching the pros because I rather put my money into my next books.

A less expensive ad option that I recently considered would be using LitRing or ILVN. These agencies have services where they will create ads for your book. I can't vouch for them, haven't used their ad service, and have been wary to do so as there's been negative press in the past on Kboards regarding them. But these two companies have helped me with success with their other services in newsletters, promos, and new release buzz. And when you think about ad services--which will still run you over a thousand dollars even with these two mentioned, btw--the expectations should run high.

Good luck. If you choose to do it yourself, run ads on AMS, BookBub, and Facebook. I think that's always the best option. And writing the next book.

A.L. Hawke | Author website | Goodreads | BookBub

Offline aaaalvin

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 10:01:08 pm »
    Indies are a self-motivated bunch, right, so I think most of us do it ourselves. There are professional ad agencies you could look into, but tread carefully as they can be very expensive. I haven't bothered researching the pros because I rather put my money into my next books.

A less expensive ad option that I recently considered would be using LitRing or ILVN. These agencies have services where they will create ads for your book. I can't vouch for them, haven't used their ad service, and have been wary to do so as there's been negative press in the past on Kboards regarding them. But these two companies have helped me with success with their other services in newsletters, promos, and new release buzz. And when you think about ad services--which will still run you over a thousand dollars even with these two mentioned, btw--the expectations should run high.

Good luck. If you choose to do it yourself, run ads on AMS, BookBub, and Facebook. I think that's always the best option. And writing the next book.

Thanks for your reply.  I will check those companies out.  I had the general idea that i'd be at least several hundred for professional anything, but I had hoped to consult with one or two to get the lay of the land, and a couple of possible options to at least think about. 

I have been doing Amazon since they first started allowing ads for self-published books.  The overall experience needs (a lot of) work, but I can handle it on my own for now.....however,  I was doing Facebook briefly but had many problems, finally leading to getting locked out (while my ads were still running and draining money from me!!), couldn't get any help, and had to nuke the whole thing, and the account even.  I even had to challenge the charges on PayPal, which I did win because they didn't even reply to that either.  On top of that, it isn't (or wasn't) user-friendly, and there is no help available .

I want someone else to handle Facebook ads for me, and it would be worth $1000 most likely.  No f'in way i'm going to try Facebook ads again on my own, and I take my hat off to anyone with the brains, fortitude, persistence, and patience involved.  kkkk

Offline Rosie Scott

• Cincinnati, Ohio
    • War. War never changes.
      • View Profile
      • Rosie Scott's Website
    « Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 05:52:11 pm »
    aaaalvin, this is a question I'm curious about as well. I have been doing my own advertising for years and have had success, but I was also spending dozens of hours per week on marketing up until the start of this year. AMS is what put my books on the map, but I'm just not willing to work 100 hours a week anymore. I have no issue with spending good money on advertising as long as it is justified by the returns. I want to spend my time writing!

I received an email a few months ago from a place called Adverley. I would love to hear from anyone who has tried this service or has more information about them. They claim to be a professional ad service catering to independent authors and publishers by managing AMS and Facebook ads. They have a few author testimonials and you can request a quote, which I might do since I cannot find anything else about them on the internet. The email was generally professional and their website looks nice so it seems legit, but I tend not to trust anything unless it's better known in author circles. Has anyone heard about this service or about its founder, Michael Beverley? He linked a few podcasts on which he'd been a guest and mentioned he was a co-founder of AMSAdWerks, which was dissolved early this year. I found some information about that company and how it worked for advertising even if the ACOS of certain campaigns remained high, so take from that what you will.

Fantasy/sci-fi. Writer of bloody warfare & witty banter. Provoker of questions.
    Rosie Scott | Website | Release Mailing List

Online Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
    • Destroyer of Science Fiction
      • View Profile
      • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
    « Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 05:57:20 pm »
    When you do your own ads, you care most about how well the ads work and how your books are selling.

When you hire someone, they care most about how much you pay them.

Offline Simon Haynes

• View Profile
      • spacejock.com.au
    « Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 08:28:28 pm »
    I spend a lot of time on my own ads, and I figure that even if I'm inefficient and waste more money than I should, it's probably still cheaper than paying someone else to spend my money.

Also yWriter, free novel-writing software for Windows PCs. (Mac version in progress).

KBoards.com

• Advertisement