Author Topic: Hidden Gems Question  (Read 819 times)  

Offline Bite the Dusty

• I was being patient. But it took too long.
    • View Profile
Hidden Gems Question
« on: November 14, 2020, 09:27:22 am »
I booked Hidden Gems for November of 2021 for my first in series. I finished the first draft and have moved on to book 2. My plan is to finish book 3, complete the editing process, and move on to something else. I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket.

Since I'm planning this far in advance, I'm wondering if you guys have opinions on the importance of reviews. Should I book additional spots for books 2 and 3, or is the 1st in series/entry point that's crucial when it comes to a series. The cost of Hidden Gems isn't going to break the bank, but every dollar I spend there is a dollar I don't have for AMS.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Trioxin 245

• View Profile
    Re: Hidden Gems Question
    « Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 12:35:41 am »
    I would use HG for the first in series and not the rest. For books 2 and 3, use a smaller service but do not forget to include them with book 1 as well. That way those readers will come along for the rest in series.

So in theory book one would launch with 50 reviews, 2+3 with 10 or 20.

Online alhawke

• View Profile
      • A.L. Hawke website
    « Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 08:32:22 am »
    I agree with Trioxin. Your 1st book is most important in the series for garnering reviews close to release. After, you can accumulate more reviews with free runs of the first book. It's easier to get reviews for a first book through review services than it is for subsequent books. If you have the funds, you can, of course, do multiple Hidden Gems. You'll get more reviews, but is it necessary?

Putting numbers down as data with my experiences, the only Hidden Gems I did was for a second book in a series. When weeding out ARCs from my newsletter and so forth, I guess I garnered around 17-18 reviews. It currently stands at 25 reviews and was released two months ago (Hidden Gems actually apologized for the reviews being so few. Gives you an idea why they're a year out for scheduling).

My first book was not featured on Hidden Gems but I had a very big launch and ran a free run two months after. The free run garnered me around 30 reviews after 6k free books given out and it currently stands at 43 reviews (though a few reviews could be from Hidden Gems for the 2nd). Free runs can be extremely effective for reviews. Had I done Hidden Gems for the first one too, I might have closer to 50-75 reviews for the first book. But does it really matter at that point for sales? I'm guessing the next threshold for more sales would be over 75-100 reviews or higher.

A.L. Hawke | Author website | Goodreads | BookBub

Offline Bite the Dusty

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 11:07:02 am »
    I would use HG for the first in series and not the rest. For books 2 and 3, use a smaller service but do not forget to include them with book 1 as well. That way those readers will come along for the rest in series.

So in theory book one would launch with 50 reviews, 2+3 with 10 or 20.

Thanks, Trioxin.
    What smaller services have you liked?

I agree with Trioxin. Your 1st book is most important in the series for garnering reviews close to release. After, you can accumulate more reviews with free runs of the first book. It's easier to get reviews for a first book through review services than it is for subsequent books. If you have the funds, you can, of course, do multiple Hidden Gems. You'll get more reviews, but is it necessary?

Putting numbers down as data with my experiences, the only Hidden Gems I did was for a second book in a series. When weeding out ARCs from my newsletter and so forth, I guess I garnered around 17-18 reviews. It currently stands at 25 reviews and was released two months ago (Hidden Gems actually apologized for the reviews being so few. Gives you an idea why they're a year out for scheduling).

My first book was not featured on Hidden Gems but I had a very big launch and ran a free run two months after. The free run garnered me around 30 reviews after 6k free books given out and it currently stands at 43 reviews (though a few reviews could be from Hidden Gems for the 2nd). Free runs can be extremely effective for reviews. Had I done Hidden Gems for the first one too, I might have closer to 50-75 reviews for the first book. But does it really matter at that point for sales? I'm guessing the next threshold for more sales would be over 75-100 reviews or higher.

That was my thinking also. Once readers try me out, they're either going to like my work or not, so the reviews as social proof to get readers to take a chance on you just seems like a first in series challenge to me. But a few weeks ago I wasn't even thinking about reviews, so here I am.

Reviews as a sales ceiling is an interesting concept. I would've guessed reviews would be more reflective of sales, but I have no experience publishing. I just have to push past my reading habits and take into account what's being shared here. As a reader, I prefer a look inside, or even better cracking it open at B&N and reading a chapter or two. That's how I decide what to buy, but from what everyone's been advising I shouldn't build my strategy around my habits as if they are everyone's.

Offline Trioxin 245

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: November 16, 2020, 01:09:37 am »
    I would use booksprout and pay the ten bucks a month its worth it. As I mentioned above, use them for the first in series as well so that those readers will read on to book 2.

Offline Bite the Dusty

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 04:53:19 pm »
    Got it. Sounds like a solid plan, and common sense that people wouldn't want to start at booksprout on book 2. Thanks!

Offline kathrynoh

• Melbourne, Australia
      • View Profile
      • Kathryn O'Halloran
    « Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 01:04:00 am »
    Put a signup form to receive an ARC of #2 in the backmatter.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement