Author Topic: Uploading word doc for ebook?  (Read 559 times)  

Offline EmparentingMom

• View Profile
Uploading word doc for ebook?
« on: November 15, 2020, 01:27:53 am »
Hi, I was wondering - is there any reason not to simply use a word doc for kindle books, rather than going to the trouble of converting to mobi etc? Assuming you don't want to embed any fonts?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Variath

• Ernakulam, India
      • View Profile
      • Ignatius Variath
    Re: Uploading word doc for ebook?
    « Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 02:54:40 am »
    Hi, I was wondering - is there any reason not to simply use a word doc for kindle books, rather than going to the trouble of converting to mobi etc? Assuming you don't want to embed any fonts?
    Yes these formats (mobi or Epub) are important to display in kindle eBooks. Normal word file will not work in Kindle. You can use Kindle creator tool to prepare the format for your book and this eBook can be uploaded directly to Kindle. The software tool is available free in Amazon.
    Goddess Rudra - The Destroyer: 20%
    Ignatius Variath

Offline Kathy Dee

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 03:26:27 am »
    You get much better control of formatting via EPUB, but if your formatting requirements are not too stringent, Word works just fine.

Online Simon Haynes

• View Profile
      • spacejock.com.au
    « Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 05:16:30 am »
    Amazon KDP now recommends Epub over Mobi. (The latter may not even be accepted any more. Something to do with enhanced typesetting and text reflow.)

Also yWriter, free novel-writing software for Windows PCs. (Mac version in progress).

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 05:22:57 am »
    Yes these formats (mobi or Epub) are important to display in kindle eBooks. Normal word file will not work in Kindle. You can use Kindle creator tool to prepare the format for your book and this eBook can be uploaded directly to Kindle. The software tool is available free in Amazon.

Um... what??  I've uploaded two dozen Word documents for ebooks.  Never had an issue or comment.

To the OP:  if you have a very simple, text-only document, Word is perfectly sufficient.  If you add "extras" or want specific formatting (fancy chapter headings, small graphics, or need for more than one font, for example), another method might be preferable.  I've never done anything fancy in my books as in the above examples, so I can't say what is best for those situations.
    Jena

Offline Ross Harrison

• Derry
    • Author of Sci-Fi and Thrillers
      • View Profile
      • Ross Harrison
    « Reply #5 on: November 15, 2020, 08:09:12 am »
    I always format my books via html, for control freak reasons, but as above, mine don't have anything fancy in them.

Ross Harrison | ross-harrison.com | Twitter

Online NikOK

• VA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: November 15, 2020, 08:49:45 am »
    Yep, word docs to kindle create works fine for just text.  You might want to look over it page by page in kindle create though.  I've had some weird formatting things appear when it gets imported.

Offline EmparentingMom

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: November 15, 2020, 09:28:47 am »
    Thanks everybody!

Offline jb1111

• PNW US
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: November 15, 2020, 09:33:17 am »
    Being old school, I used zipped, filtered HTML for several years until I realized that a) KP3 seems to have periodic issues with the HTML and b) docx uploads and works fine.

Consequently, my last book was uploaded as a docx -- no problems so far. It's also a smaller file than the zipped HTML, so you're not waiting forever for it to upload, if that's an issue.

Now, if you're using fancy formatting, then maybe doc / docx isn't the way to go. Not doing fancy formatting, I really can't comment on that.

Offline Nicole Simon

• Berlin, Germany
    • I write about marketing tactics and tools.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: November 15, 2020, 10:41:45 am »
    A lot of users over the recent years have moved away from PCs toward macs - and with it from MS Office to other tools. To cut down on their work they request epub files, more precisely validated epub files without errors. It is also a standard format with a lot of tools out there, so a good basis.

However: Amazon does work amazingly with Word-Files, recommends it on their pages. So if you start out with word, clean it up, dont use features you cannot use in kindle format (which at its core is epub or a variation thereof) and upload it to kindle create. It will create the optimized format for kindle. Word to another format has been established so well, it is not a surprise this is one of the best options.

Now if you want special features or use your file in other platforms as well it may not make sense to work in word if the other platforms do not import word as well -thus if you create the perfect epub file out of your original manuskript, you can use them elsewhere and expect good results.

If you only use amazon, word to create is fine, if you use others - it depends on the requirements to design the workflow you need.

Offline Decon

• View Profile
      • Declan Conner, Blog
    « Reply #10 on: November 16, 2020, 08:14:40 am »
    There is no reason whatsoever not to upload a Word doc for either the ebook or the print book text providing they are formatted correctly.

Scorpion ebooks: Full length  thrillers with a sting in the tale. All enrolled in KU & Prime.
    Declan Conner | blog

Offline unkownwriter

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: November 19, 2020, 05:22:04 am »
    Well, you won't use a Word file for a print book, Declan. But for a straight up ebook, without tables or stuff, Word works just fine. It's all I ever uploaded in the beginning, and I doubt Amazon has changed anything about it, despite them now wanting epubs.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement