Author Topic: So, how much do bad review ratings bug you?  (Read 2088 times)  

Offline jm2019

• View Profile
So, how much do bad review ratings bug you?
« on: November 18, 2020, 09:02:21 am »
Just curious as to who still get bummed out by the occasion 1 or 2* vs. who is zen and past it all?

Even after hundreds of reviews, I still get sad (briefly, even if) when I see that 2*. I recently got one and then I looked up the reviewer's history on Goodreads and they give 2 and 3 for almost everything. So I was like, guess I'm not alone... I thought I'd be over reviews and ratings by now, but I guess I'm still not.

As some have suggested too - interestingly I've seen very little correlation b/w my sales patterns and reviews, so there's that as well.

So, who's still bothered and who's beyond it all?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    Re: So, how much do bad review ratings bug you?
    « Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 09:50:36 am »
    I'm very careful when I check my reviews to sort by rating, so I only read the nice, glowing reviews.

Make of that what you will.

Offline NikOK

• VA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 10:12:07 am »
    The first one bugged me, but now it's not such a big deal.  I think I've realized that it's just going to happen.  Most of the time I'm more interested in writing the stories I want to, so can I really be mad if some people don't like them?  I do wish people gave more reasons though.  Like, why did you love one book but hate the other?  It would be nice to know, but I can't get worked up about it really.

Offline ImaWriter

• Canada
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 11:21:08 am »
    If the review provides me with some sort of fair and actionable feedback, I have no issue with it at all.

Online BuckarooBanzai

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 11:26:01 am »
    I think we'd all like to be aloof about it, but it still gets under the skin occasionally.

Offline wearywanderer64

• Spain
    • I wander lonely as a cloud
      • View Profile
      • Scribbling Tales
    « Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 11:55:59 am »
    It's a pain when you've only got a couple of reviews and it brings your average down to two.

A.T. Mahon | Scribbling Tales

Offline Simon Haynes

• View Profile
      • spacejock.com.au
    « Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 01:23:27 pm »
    I agree - it depends how many reviews the book has already, and what the average is.

A 1* is just a flicker on the radar screen if you have a book with 400 ratings and an average of 4/5.

On the other hand, a 1* rating on a title with a handful of reviews is very painful.

Also yWriter, free novel-writing software for Windows PCs. (Mac version in progress).

Online Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: November 18, 2020, 01:58:47 pm »
    I agree - it depends how many reviews the book has already, and what the average is.

A 1* is just a flicker on the radar screen if you have a book with 400 ratings and an average of 4/5.

On the other hand, a 1* rating on a title with a handful of reviews is very painful.

Mine has nearly 500 reviews and over 4/5.

I still don't want to look at the 1 stars... lol.

Call it a fragile ego from never being encouraged as a youth, I don't know.

I don't intentionally pick up hot pans or trap my fingers in the car door, either. I don't go looking for hurt if I know I can avoid it, haha.

Offline Simon Haynes

• View Profile
      • spacejock.com.au
    « Reply #8 on: November 18, 2020, 02:22:23 pm »
    Oh, sometimes they're useful. I had a couple complaining about the slapstick humour in a first-in-series, and a few others said the main character was too self-destructive to survive. (He's a space pilot. The fact he's too incompetent to fly his own ship - but is deluded enough to think he's great at it - is kind of the point.)

I added a comment to the book description, mentioning that it contains british humour along the lines of Basil Fawlty in space. You know - self-destructive with a bit of slapstick.

The ones I really hate are reviews where they've read someone else's damn book and then reviewed mine. I had a 3 star the other day where the guy said it was 'probably written for Americans' and 'the author should look up the English spelling of certain words'.  I checked my manuscript, and sure enough none of the examples he gave were in it, with either US or UK spelling. (I'm English and I don't use bring when I mean take, which was one of his complaints.)  Those ones are really annoying because I hate getting blamed for something I didn't do.

Also yWriter, free novel-writing software for Windows PCs. (Mac version in progress).

Online Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: November 18, 2020, 02:28:20 pm »
    Oh, sometimes they're useful. I had a couple complaining about the slapstick humour in a first-in-series, and a few others said the main character was too self-destructive to survive. (He's a space pilot. The fact he's too incompetent to fly his own ship - but is deluded enough to think he's great at it - is kind of the point.)

I added a comment to the book description, mentioning that it contains british humour along the lines of Basil Fawlty in space. You know - self-destructive with a bit of slapstick.

The ones I really hate are reviews where they've read someone else's damn book and then reviewed mine. I had a 3 star the other day where the guy said it was 'probably written for Americans' and 'the author should look up the English spelling of certain words'.  I checked my manuscript, and sure enough none of the examples he gave were in it, with either US or UK spelling. (I'm English and I don't use bring when I mean take, which was one of his complaints.)  Those ones are really annoying because I hate getting blamed for something I didn't do.

That would boil my  p*ss !

Offline Crystal_

• Portland, OR
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: November 18, 2020, 02:33:20 pm »
    For the most part, I only get upset by reviews that are sexist... Which is most of the bad reviews on any romance book, mind included. People are really hard on heroines and they like to name call too.

Okay, I also get annoyed by reviews that complain 18-22 yo characters are immature when they're acting like 18-22 yos.

Offline Simon Haynes

• View Profile
      • spacejock.com.au
    « Reply #11 on: November 18, 2020, 02:38:20 pm »
    That would boil my  p*ss !

I broke my own rule and left a very polite response, pointing out that the examples he gave weren't actually in the book.

That wasn't the worst by any means. I had a review in 2012 on my middle-grade series starter, complaining it was full of really bad swearing. (They helpfully quoted passages in their review, which were enough to send any self-respecting parent running for the hills.)

Of course, those passages weren't from my book at all. They'd switched to something else on their Kindle halfway through, and then proceeded to read that adult novel aloud to their kid without realising it had completely different characters, an entirely new plot and vastly more adult language. It'd be funny if it wasn't so tragic.

Offline Simon Haynes

• View Profile
      • spacejock.com.au
    « Reply #12 on: November 18, 2020, 02:41:57 pm »
    Okay, I also get annoyed by reviews that complain 18-22 yo characters are immature when they're acting like 18-22 yos.

They're probably used to 30-year-olds playing teenagers on TV.

Online Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: November 18, 2020, 03:06:41 pm »
    They're probably used to 30-year-olds playing teenagers on TV.

Smallville springs to mind.

Oh wait, so the 6ft4" star quarterback with the chiselled abs... is the outcast geek, bullied by the other kids?

What hope do real kids have, haha?

Offline jb1111

• PNW US
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: November 18, 2020, 03:12:20 pm »
    If the review provides me with some sort of fair and actionable feedback, I have no issue with it at all.

^^^^^^ What ImaWriter said.

Ultimately, you have no control over reviews. Not everyone is going to appreciate / understand / love / hate the plot or characters equally. There always is going to be someone who may ding your book for whatever reason. You just take whatever you can from it and move on. Sales are more important. I've had books which were dinged that still sold well. I do pay some attention to reviews' contents, because sometimes it can inform me as to whether my 'point' in the story got across. There is always some room for improvement.

Offline Bite the Dusty

• I was being patient. But it took too long.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: November 18, 2020, 03:31:43 pm »
    My opinion doesn't matter much because I haven't published, but I would try to avoid circling the drain over it. When recent advice about reviews came my way, I decided to take a hard look at goodreads for the first time and what I saw was this: all books, universally beloved or not, with 1 or 2 star reviews at the top or near it. Every book I've ever found to be brilliant has been torn to shreds by somebody.

If that's what reviews are, then that's what they are, and critical reviews are unavoidable. Can't please em all.

Offline chrisstevenson

• Los Angeles
    • Warrior Writer
      • View Profile
      • Christy's Young Adult Fabuliers
    « Reply #16 on: November 18, 2020, 03:38:07 pm »
    I can actually use negative reviews as a Beta-type editing offering and use them for corrections. They can be helpful.  But I've had a few damaging zingers.

I had a character that described his ethnic origin as "black Irish." What I meant here was that term identified him as a dark complected, normally fair-haired Irishman. You know, dark hair and all? I am such a person of that decent.

The reader read a passage that revealed that the love interest of the black Irishman wished he'd had a normal job and that she was worried about his lifestyle direction.

The reader assumed that I made it plain that he was a black man in Ireland who had a propensity to sell drugs rather than seek out a regular job. A "racist" discriptor was implied.

I mean, you can't get anymore damaging than that. For the first time in my life, I took her to the side (privately) and politely, and explained who this character was, and why he was just plain lazy about employing himself.

And I agree that a 1-Star can torpedo a book that has very few reviews. Yet, all we can do is walk over the flak and continue on, selling books. 
    Guerrilla Warfare For Writers (special weapons and tactics)
    http://guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com/

Christy's Young Adult Fabuliers https://christysyoungadultimagineers.com/

Amazon Page: https://www.amazon.com/Chris-Harold-Stevenson/e/B001K8UUBK

Offline Simon Haynes

• View Profile
      • spacejock.com.au
    « Reply #17 on: November 18, 2020, 04:34:56 pm »
    My opinion doesn't matter much because I haven't published, but I would try to avoid circling the drain over it. When recent advice about reviews came my way, I decided to take a hard look at goodreads for the first time and what I saw was this: all books, universally beloved or not, with 1 or 2 star reviews at the top or near it. Every book I've ever found to be brilliant has been torn to shreds by somebody.

If that's what reviews are, then that's what they are, and critical reviews are unavoidable. Can't please em all.

Goodreads star ratings are different to Amazon's (on the former, a 3 is 'good' and a 4 is 'excellent' whereas on amazon it's more like 'so-so' and 'good').  To translate between the two, you need to add about one star to a Goodreads ranking.

Offline Bite the Dusty

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: November 18, 2020, 05:34:24 pm »

Goodreads star ratings are different to Amazon's (on the former, a 3 is 'good' and a 4 is 'excellent' whereas on amazon it's more like 'so-so' and 'good').  To translate between the two, you need to add about one star to a Goodreads ranking.

I looked and it does seem that way now you mention it. Why do you think that is?

Offline NikOK

• VA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: November 18, 2020, 05:35:33 pm »

I had a character that described his ethnic origin as "black Irish." What I meant here was that term identified him as a dark complected, normally fair-haired Irishman. You know, dark hair and all? I am such a person of that decent.

The reader read a passage that revealed that the love interest of the black Irishman wished he'd had a normal job and that she was worried about his lifestyle direction.

The reader assumed that I made it plain that he was a black man in Ireland who had a propensity to sell drugs rather than seek out a regular job. A "racist" discriptor was implied.

Uggh, that's a rough one.  I feel like everyone runs into a case of, crap, I didn't mean what you think I mean, but that sounds particularly harsh.  Did they listen to you when you talked to them?

Offline NikOK

• VA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: November 18, 2020, 05:40:06 pm »
    My opinion doesn't matter much because I haven't published,

Your opinion totally matters!  It's a writers cafe, not a people who published things cafe.  I think you had a really good even tempered mind set about it, I just wanted to say, you know, your opinion is as important as anyone else's.

Offline Bite the Dusty

• View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: November 18, 2020, 05:50:43 pm »
    Your opinion totally matters!  It's a writers cafe, not a people who published things cafe.  I think you had a really good even tempered mind set about it, I just wanted to say, you know, your opinion is as important as anyone else's.

Thanks, NikOK. You're right, and I could stand to be less self-conscious.

Offline chrisstevenson

• Los Angeles
    • Warrior Writer
      • View Profile
      • Christy's Young Adult Fabuliers
    « Reply #22 on: November 18, 2020, 05:55:38 pm »
    Uggh, that's a rough one.  I feel like everyone runs into a case of, crap, I didn't mean what you think I mean, but that sounds particularly harsh.  Did they listen to you when you talked to them?

Actually she did not respond back because I think she was embarrassed. She was a very young reviewer and, ya know, I kind of felt sorry for her for the misinterpretation. But I'm sure now that she'll know what that phrase means in the context that I meant it.
    Guerrilla Warfare For Writers (special weapons and tactics)
    http://guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com/

Christy's Young Adult Fabuliers https://christysyoungadultimagineers.com/

Amazon Page: https://www.amazon.com/Chris-Harold-Stevenson/e/B001K8UUBK

Offline K'Sennia Visitor

• Deep inside the AGU
    • I've got an idea!
      • View Profile
      • The Indie Authors Accountability Group: Open to All Genres!
    « Reply #23 on: November 18, 2020, 06:07:21 pm »

*sings* If you hate my writing I don't care to knooow. Cos while I'm writing I feel beeyootifuuuul.*

Paraphrased from a Shirley Manson song. :D

In order to get reviews you first need readers.
     The more readers you have, the more reviews you get.
      The more reviews you get, the more negative ones you receive.
      The more popular you become the nastier the neg reviews become until you're a hashtag on twitter, and an entire niche on YouTube has revolved around videos making fun of your books. If you're lucky a poor YouTuber could one day make a living solely slagging off your writing.
    The Disabled Frog - Not Your Average Self Help Book
    https://www.amazon.com/Disabled-Frog-Stories-Productivity-Motivational-ebook/dp/B07LC4534L
    The Christmas Funeral - Not Your Mother's Christmas Story!
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LCH28BN

Offline Carol (was Dara)

• View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: November 18, 2020, 06:09:17 pm »
    After ten years, I should say I no longer care about reviews. But the honest truth is that I stopped reading them years ago, because the harsh ones made me ridiculously defensive and even the glowing ones paralyzed me with a fear of disappointing fans next time. I forced myself to read maybe the first 2,000 or so, thinking I might learn something from them. What I ultimately learned was a lesson about myself - that I handle criticism well outwardly but, inwardly, it sticks in my head longer than it should.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement