Author Topic: So, how much do bad review ratings bug you?  (Read 5491 times)  

Offline Dayseye

• View Profile
Re: So, how much do bad review ratings bug you?
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2020, 05:35:18 am »
Perhaps I've been reviewing books the wrong way. "2 stars - not enough Kate Beckinsale in this book, and where are the Jedi? I wanted Jedi, not farm animals rising up against a farmer".

That's an idea! Animal Farm: May the Farce be with you. Disclaimer: Features *none* of the following A-listers ...

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Ross Harrison

• Derry
    • Author of Sci-Fi and Thrillers
      • View Profile
      • Ross Harrison
    « Reply #76 on: November 29, 2020, 08:01:35 am »
    Ross, you from the Derry in Ireland, or the Derry where the maneating spider-clown lives?

The Ireland Derry, where no such clown has yet to be spotted.

Ross Harrison | ross-harrison.com | Twitter

Offline Doglover

• Cambridge, United Kingdom
    • If you want real love, buy a dog.
      • View Profile
      • Margaret Brazear Author
    « Reply #77 on: November 29, 2020, 10:40:51 am »
    The Ireland Derry, where no such clown has yet to be spotted.
    No clowns, only Leprechauns? :)

The past is another country; they do things differently there
    Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Newsletter

Offline Crystal_

• Portland, OR
      • View Profile
    « Reply #78 on: November 29, 2020, 10:53:11 am »
    I write for smart readers. The problem is a lot of dumb readers pick up my books. Kidding. Sort of.

Writing is like teaching in some ways. Write too "smart" (lots of subtext, not underlining points, not letting readers draw their own conclusions, a lot of what people call "good writing") and you'll lose the less smart readers. Dumb it down (spell things out, less subtext, more underlining) and you'll lose the smart readers because they're bored. You can't please everyone so find something that works for you and your genre.

Offline Usedtoposthere

• View Profile
    « Reply #79 on: November 29, 2020, 07:17:17 pm »
    I write for smart readers. The problem is a lot of dumb readers pick up my books. Kidding. Sort of.

Writing is like teaching in some ways. Write too "smart" (lots of subtext, not underlining points, not letting readers draw their own conclusions, a lot of what people call "good writing") and you'll lose the less smart readers. Dumb it down (spell things out, less subtext, more underlining) and you'll lose the smart readers because they're bored. You can't please everyone so find something that works for you and your genre.
    Haha you are right. These days I write for the smart folks and damn the torpedoes. Life is too short and I am too old not to please myself. Big words and subtext and all.  :).

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #80 on: December 01, 2020, 03:14:24 pm »
    Yikes. I used to write reviews along with my star ratings. Used to. Too much whining and complaining and I only do ratings now. Why should I spend so much time trying so hard to put in words what I felt when all I see are complaints about readers. Ratings are a perfect representation of how I liked a book. Or didn't like.

My lard some of you should really re-read what you write about readers once in a while. And then some of you come back complaining not getting reviews at all anymore. And then you go on eating your own being all salty at some of the "old" timers. Alexa asks me about star ratings about 3 times a week now. Haven't had a book come up yet though, just other products. But I rate every book I read on my kindle. What do I get out of it? A database of what I read and liked and also recommendations. It is absolutely used for what amazon puts in front of my eyeballs. Even without text.

And if I don't like a book I will rate it accordingly. Even if I didn't finish. I know what I like and don't like. Obviously. I regret the time I used to spend typing up reviews that were very difficult for me to do in the past. Eh, screw it. I just rather read my next book.

Offline Corvid

• View Profile
    « Reply #81 on: December 01, 2020, 04:03:07 pm »
    Yikes. I used to write reviews along with my star ratings. Used to. Too much whining and complaining and I only do ratings now. Why should I spend so much time trying so hard to put in words what I felt when all I see are complaints about readers. Ratings are a perfect representation of how I liked a book. Or didn't like.

My lard some of you should really re-read what you write about readers once in a while. And then some of you come back complaining not getting reviews at all anymore. And then you go on eating your own being all salty at some of the "old" timers. Alexa asks me about star ratings about 3 times a week now. Haven't had a book come up yet though, just other products. But I rate every book I read on my kindle. What do I get out of it? A database of what I read and liked and also recommendations. It is absolutely used for what amazon puts in front of my eyeballs. Even without text.

And if I don't like a book I will rate it accordingly. Even if I didn't finish. I know what I like and don't like. Obviously. I regret the time I used to spend typing up reviews that were very difficult for me to do in the past. Eh, screw it. I just rather read my next book.

Writers are readers. It's not as though "readers" are a monolith.

And, honestly, what is the point of the above other than high-horsing admonishment? If you don't like what someone says about 'readers' feel free to ignore it, and then you can write your book reviews to your heart's content.

Reviewing books you do or don't enjoy is not meant to be some kind of favor to lord over anybody's head as though it's some kind of altruistic act of service. That's not their primary purpose at all. Do it or don't do it. Who cares?

Offline NikOK

• VA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #82 on: December 01, 2020, 04:04:40 pm »

The complaining about people complaining argument is kinda blowing my mind.  I don't want to be mean, but I'm just very confused.  People come and vent about things on this forum, it's just, you can't take it 100% serious.  It's just a thing where a writer might be mildly irked about something and this is where other writers can say, yeah, I get that, I've been there.  You say that people complain about their readers, but I think that maybe they just want to vent a bit and feel a little better about the things they've worked on.

Offline Ross Harrison

• Derry
      • View Profile
      • Ross Harrison
    « Reply #83 on: December 01, 2020, 04:19:37 pm »
    The problem is that when writers are talking to other writers, there doesn't seem to be much need to point out the obvious thing that we all feel, I think, which is that it's amazing whenever an actual human being reads the words that came out of ours heads and then writes down their thoughts about it. Mentioning a 'negative' aspect of something doesn't mean we disregard all else, and we shouldn't need a little disclaimer at the beginning of every post to say so (not when, again, we're talking to other writers who know this).

Also, as a side note, writers don't seem to like it when other writers talk about how they've got good reviews, and take it as boasting, so we don't tend to.

Offline Crystal_

• Portland, OR
      • View Profile
    « Reply #84 on: December 01, 2020, 05:05:45 pm »
    Everyone vents about work.

As a smart friend of mine puts it, nowadays, readers treat authors like customer service or tech support. We aren't tech support, but readers still go to us first with their issues with Amazon, BookFunnel, BookBub, etc. WTF do I give Amazon 30% plus delivery fee for if readers are coming to ME with questions about how their Kindle Unlimited subscription works?

Readers are customers and customers are aholes. Most customers are fine but it only takes a few aholes to make you salty.

Offline Becca Mills

• Super Moderators-5
    • California
      • View Profile
    « Reply #85 on: December 01, 2020, 05:19:19 pm »
    Some nasty posts have been removed.

Welcome! :)
    Read about using the Writers' Cafe here. Our larger "forum decorum" is here. The site's overall terms of use are here. Please be aware of this material.
    Troubleshooting: If you're having difficulties with advertising on KBoards, the contact email is [email protected] You can also use our PM system to contact the site's owners via the vsAdmin account. The Link-Maker and Author Signature Tool long longer function. There's a manual version of the former here and a workaround for the latter here.

Offline Ross Harrison

• Derry
      • View Profile
      • Ross Harrison
    « Reply #86 on: December 01, 2020, 05:42:18 pm »
    It does occur to me that I actually only read a handful of posts at the end of the thread before I posted anything...

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
    « Reply #87 on: December 02, 2020, 12:11:16 am »
    It does occur to me that I actually only read a handful of posts at the end of the thread before I posted anything...
    You need to be careful doing that; you might miss what the original post is all about.

As to reviews, I have an ad for my six book series which clearly states: 'lose yourself in 1000 pages of romance during the brutal reign of Bloody Mary' - I got a comment this morning saying: 'it was romance, not historical fiction'. Okay, so did I not say it was romance? Did I imagine it?

Offline Ross Harrison

• Derry
      • View Profile
      • Ross Harrison
    « Reply #88 on: December 02, 2020, 03:01:46 am »
    You need to be careful doing that; you might miss what the original post is all about.

I sometimes read the whole thread, and I sometimes read the first post and the last page. If someone comes in to complain about what people are saying, I should probably remember which I did, because one of them means I don't actually know what a lot of people have said.

Offline Crystal_

• Portland, OR
      • View Profile
    « Reply #89 on: December 02, 2020, 11:03:52 am »

As to reviews, I have an ad for my six book series which clearly states: 'lose yourself in 1000 pages of romance during the brutal reign of Bloody Mary' - I got a comment this morning saying: 'it was romance, not historical fiction'. Okay, so did I not say it was romance? Did I imagine it?

There is nothing you can do to broadcast trope and genre enough.

I have so many books with the trope in the blurb with reviews complaining "I hate this trope."

You could call your book The First Time: A Virgin Romance and you'd still get a bunch of reviews complaining "why does every heroine have to be a virgin?"

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
    « Reply #90 on: December 02, 2020, 10:53:22 pm »
    There is nothing you can do to broadcast trope and genre enough.

I have so many books with the trope in the blurb with reviews complaining "I hate this trope."

You could call your book The First Time: A Virgin Romance and you'd still get a bunch of reviews complaining "why does every heroine have to be a virgin?"
    That is true. No accounting for dopiness. :)

Offline Simon Haynes

• View Profile
      • spacejock.com.au
    « Reply #91 on: December 02, 2020, 10:56:11 pm »
    I wrote a fast-pace space opera, announced it as such, then had a review from someone who said they liked my regular stuff but this was more like a fast-paced space opera (1 or 2 stars, can't remember which.)

The danger of writing in different genres using the same name.

Also yWriter, free novel-writing software for Windows PCs. (Mac version in progress).

KBoards.com

• Advertisement