Author Topic: Spammy Review Requests ... Very Odd  (Read 417 times)  

Offline randallcfloyd

• View Profile
Spammy Review Requests ... Very Odd
« on: November 19, 2020, 03:34:30 am »
I just wanted to see if anyone else out there is getting emails like these. I created a website that aggregates Middle Grade books, promotes book deals for kids' books, and I've been getting requests from random "reviewers" through my book submission portal on the site. I just started getting these odd requests earlier this week.

The first odd thing I noticed about the requests is that they are from seemingly random email addresses (usually from gmail) that don't have a dedicated domain. The second weird thing is that all of these emails say basically the same thing.

Here are the emails:

Hi,

Are you looking for a reviewer who has professional expertise and experience in reviewing books? If yes, you can contact me. I am also offering professional editing and beta reading services.

Regards,
Mary Jane

From [email protected]
Hello,

Do you want GUARANTEED, HONEST reviews for your Amazon book? As of this writing, I am the only guy offering legitimate reviews with a money back guarantee. Reviews get posted on Goodreads and Amazon. If you are interested, feel free to connect with me for further details.

From [email protected]
Hi,

I think you can already guess from my name that I am a huge bookworm. But that is just my partial introduction. The other fact about me is that I am also an English literature student. If you want a book review, please contact me.

I responded to one of them, just to see if I could get some website information and I was directed to a page asking me to pay $30 for the review. I don't have any issues with the fact that they want money for reviews, but this particular website had three reviews on it (here's a link: https://cherylreviews65.wordpress.com/) and the most recent review was from 2018, and not one of the books is a middle grade book. But the oddest part is that these requests came in asking I wanted to pay them for reviews for my books. The only problem is that this IS NOT my author website. It doesn't have anything to do with my books, other than the fact they're listed with the thousand of other books.

The whole thing just seems odd to me.

Has anyone else seen anything like this before?

Cheers,
Randall
The Missing Relic: 100%
Blurb-Writing Checklist |

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline unkownwriter

• View Profile
    Re: Spammy Review Requests ... Very Odd
    « Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 05:03:35 am »
    You start a business, you start getting the scammers. I guess it's just a fact of life. You're going to have to vet every single email you get. There's always someone out there trying to make money off you.

Offline randallcfloyd

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 05:47:20 am »
    You start a business, you start getting the scammers. I guess it's just a fact of life. You're going to have to vet every single email you get. There's always someone out there trying to make money off you.
    I'm less concerned about myself than I am for other new authors running into stuff like this.
    The Missing Relic: 100%
    Blurb-Writing Checklist |

Offline chrisstevenson

• Los Angeles
    • Warrior Writer
      • View Profile
      • Christy's Young Adult Fabuliers
    « Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 09:39:21 am »
    I get these emails as a matter of routine and ignore them. Anything that smacks of violating Amazon policy as far as reviews, I ditch. I unsubscribe and block most every one of them that lands in my email.
    Guerrilla Warfare For Writers (special weapons and tactics)
    http://guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com/

Christy's Young Adult Fabuliers https://christysyoungadultimagineers.com/

Amazon Page: https://www.amazon.com/Chris-Harold-Stevenson/e/B001K8UUBK

Online alhawke

• View Profile
      • A.L. Hawke website
    « Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 10:34:33 am »
    Ignore them. Some will review for a cost, like an editorial review. I've researched and you can find stuff about a few solicited services on Goodreads. I wouldn't respond though, unless you decide to use them, because if it's spam the bots will see a response and send you more.

A.L. Hawke | Author website | Goodreads | BookBub

Offline jb1111

• PNW US
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 05:20:37 am »
    Not into garnering reviews other than through the organic method, but looks like some people trying to make a buck. Maybe the economy is part of it... Maybe your website is on the radar of these sorts of people.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement