Author Topic: Anyone know if this is legit?  (Read 1039 times)  

Offline MMSN

• View Profile
Anyone know if this is legit?
« on: November 19, 2020, 02:49:31 pm »
I got this email. Anyone know if it's legit?

Hello,

Our records indicate youre scheduled to receive a payment from KDP at the end of November. We are currently unable to verify your payment details. To ensure youre paid on time, please update your banking information in your account using the instructions provided below by November 25, 2020. Until you update your banking information, your payments will be on hold and you will see a banner alert in your KDP account. To learn more, check our Help page:  https://kdp.amazon.com/help/topic/GUFL3496V6U2ESA7

To update your banking information:

- Sign in to your KDP account: https://account.kdp.amazon.com/account
- Complete Two-Step Verification
- Go to the Getting Paid section of your account, click Delete account and then confirm
- Click Yes under Incomplete Payment Setup. Follow the steps to enter your banking details, following these guidelines:
o When setting up the bank details, ensure the 'Account holder name' field exactly matches the name associated with the bank account. A name mismatch can result in payments being rejected by the receiving bank. If youre unsure who the account holder of your bank account is, contact your bank for additional information.
o Please use the full name(s) for the account as it appears on the banking account you want to use. Please put a space between the first and last name.
o Please use Latin language based letters (no symbols or characters)
o Please provide your Bank Name in the name of bank field - not your name.
o Please do not include salutations such as Mr, Mrs, etc as part of your name.
- Please also review that your address in the Author/Publisher Information section matches the address on file with your bank. The name in your address field should also match the name you entered for your bank account.

After you've updated your KDP account, we will automatically review your submission. If we are able to verify your payment details, we will release the payment hold, remove the alert from your KDP account, and issue your payment in our next payment cycle.

If you have any questions, please contact us: https://kdp.amazon.com/contact-us

We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your prompt attention in making these changes.

1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. All Rights Reserved. Amazon and Kindle are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. 410 Terry Avenue North Seattle, Washington 98109 US.

Please note: This is a transactional message regarding your account. Your subscription preferences will continue to be honored for all future commercial e-mails from Kindle Direct Publishing.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline ImaWriter

• Canada
      • View Profile
    Re: Anyone know if this is legit?
    « Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 02:56:44 pm »
    have you checked you message center in your amazon account?

Offline MMSN

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 03:07:20 pm »
    Thank you, I didn't think of that. It's not there. I guess I just won't do anything and wait and see if the "banner" they are talking about shows up on my account. If that is a phishing message though, it's a really good one!

Offline LDB

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 03:20:32 pm »
    Every email received is a phishing email. Just like every snake on the planet is a deadly venomous snake. Very carefully inspect them and confirm or refute. Approach them both that way initially and you aren't likely to go wrong. Never click links in emails like that one. Go to the site/company in question and log in and go through your own account. If it's legitimate you'll find it.
    My Service on the KBoards Yellow Pages
    There's no bad day if you have a good book.

Offline Philip Gibson

• Laos (Moved from Yorkshire)
    • Philip and Cookie the Dog
      • View Profile
      • Hashtag Histories
    « Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 02:53:44 am »
    I got that exact same very detailed email warning.

A red flag for me was the 'delete account' instruction.  Never seen that before. Also there is no banner alert posted in my account.  Everything looks normal.  I was careful not to click on any links in the email - I suppose that is how a phishing attack would work.

I've copied and pasted the email to KDP support and wait to hear what they say. 

Philip
    « Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 02:57:33 am by Philip Gibson »

What if there had been social media during important historical events?
    Philip Gibson | Hashtag Histories | Word By Word Graded Readers for Children

Offline Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
    • If you want real love, buy a dog.
      • View Profile
      • Margaret Brazear Author
    « Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 04:16:57 am »
    The rule is, never follow a link in an email. If the message isn't in your Amazon inbox, it's a scam.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
    Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Newsletter

Offline unkownwriter

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 05:45:15 am »
    It seems there will be new banking rules going into effect the last day of this year (I don't know which country), so Amazon is starting to verify some accounts that may not be valid after that. There's a thread started on the KDP forums about it, no one seems to know much.

At any rate, never click on links in emails, always go directly to your account and check for messages.

Offline Corvid

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: November 20, 2020, 07:59:48 am »
    I've just received the exact same email. I read through the thing looking for signs of phishing and fakery. The 'delete account' instruction was a dead giveaway. But, I was surprised at how much better the scammers have been getting at constructing these emails.

As everyone else has said, definitely do not click any link provided in these emails - even if it is really Amazon. Always go directly into your account, and check for messages there.

Funnily enough, I did receive an email recently regarding the tax interview which required updating, and which turned out to be legit, so as always you have to stay on your toes.

What a world.

Offline viper9826

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 04:56:16 am »
    I was sent this email Thursday night and immediately requested support to call me. They confirmed it is a legit email and that I had to delete and re-enter my information. I also have a notification in my dash. It's frustrating because I haven't changed my info since 2012.

Offline Lady Runa

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 05:53:30 am »
    As a suggestion: no, never click on a link but do hover over the link which will display the real address it leads to. In this case, I hovered over the links and they're all legit Amazon addresses. With phishing, it's either some crazy address or one that only differs from the real one by a dot or an extra letter which is a dead giveaway.

Unless some computer whiz here knows of a way to camouflage the crook's real address? Is it possible?
    « Last Edit: Yesterday at 05:56:13 am by Lady Runa »

Storyteller

Offline LDB

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 06:01:35 am »
    As a suggestion: no, never click on a link but do hover over the link which will display the real address it leads to. In this case, I hovered over the links and they're all legit Amazon addresses. With phishing, it's either some crazy address or one that only differs from the real one by a dot or an extra letter which is a dead giveaway.

Unless some computer whiz here knows of a way to camouflage the crook's real address? Is it possible?

I do that and when it's some email like oafhgiwerta;[email protected] I know for certain but I don't have any/all legit email addresses memorized so if it looks remotely real I still consider it fake and never click any email link that could possibly be phishing.
    My Service on the KBoards Yellow Pages
    There's no bad day if you have a good book.

Offline MMSN

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 06:36:02 pm »
    Yeah, I got the message and the banner, so it was legit. :D

KBoards.com

• Advertisement