Author Topic: Good forums to promote my novel?  (Read 5460 times)  

Offline GTurnbull

• Wollongong, NSW, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Good forums to promote my novel?
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2020, 10:51:38 pm »
Good artistry, no doubting that, but so dark it's hard to see what's going on.

Better to have a less arty cover, but have it bright and bold so people can see it at thumbnail size.

Yeah agree with Gareth one hundred percent. If you're an artist and like drawing, if I were you, I'd definitely want to design my own covers, but definite have to make sure it's up there with the current standards in the genre.

Plus. You will save money. I paid for two cover designs off fiver, one design from two different artists, costing me a whopping $250 bucks in total. (Which is cheap in comparison to what you could pay) and let me just say, they looked like the DVD covers to D grade movies no one has ever seen or ever will. DVD's you wouldn't have even picked up from the free basket back in 2007...

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Corvid

• View Profile
    « Reply #51 on: November 25, 2020, 11:19:57 pm »
    Okay, so I developed concept H a bit more, and how does this fare, at least for a placeholder? Contrasting colors, simple stylized imagery, vaguely plot-relevant but not saturated with characters and items, big weird thing smack-dab in the middle. Probably not perfect, but better than what I've got so far?

(If not, maybe I should just start a new thread on cover design, since I'm interested in the subject but I might have kinda derailed this thread with it.)

EDIT: Just realized, it might look a bit better if the text was silver or some other color.

I'm just a random stranger on the internet, so go ahead and ignore me if that's your preference... BUT...

I am telling you right now, not out of maliciousness, but out of an interest in telling you what's real... AND...

...if you're interested in making a living as a self-published author: RUN, do not walk, to a professional cover designer. Don't do the DIY cover thing. Trust me, don't do it. Based on your genre, and your current design skill level you're going to throw away valuable time, and cost yourself countless of potential eyeballs and therefore sales, and probably any shot of making a real go of things as a result.

And, expect to spend some money on said professional cover. Doesn't have to be thousands or even several hundred, you can shop around. But, just know that the cover is HUGELY important, and you should be prepared to have someone else do it, and it will cost some money to get the quality of design required. It might even cost more than you'd ever imagined spending. But, it really is a must. The bar for cover design nowadays is high, and the cover is a huge factor when it comes to purchasing decisions/sales.

If you're in this as a hobbyist, awesome, no problem with that - go ahead and dabble at making your own cover, and ignore all of the above.

BUT, again, if you're in this to make real money - you need to do all you can to attract eyeballs, and obtain clicks in this ATTENTION ECONOMY. It is harder than ever to not only get that attention, but to keep it. And, you must keep it in order to achieve the kind of sales numbers you'll need if you're going to have a hope of doing this full-time.

To do that, you HAVE to look ready for primetime. That's why the cover just HAS TO BE industry standard (which - again - is now a high bar), it is non-negotiable.

Straight up, you need to go with a pro on this if being a pro yourself is what you're after. Frankly speaking, your cover design skill level is not going to get you there.

I'm being blunt, but again, not because I'm trying to be mean, it's just the opposite actually, I'm trying to give you the distilled information to save you time and heartache; because I've been in this game long enough to know what works and what doesn't, just as many other kboarders do too. And, honestly, if you want to make a living at this, you have to recognize time is money, and you don't want to waste any of it doing things that don't work.

Sticking with the idea of doing the cover yourself, in your genre especially, is going to waste your time, and as much as it sucks to hear: trust me when I say, it will not work.

Offline Almyrigan Hero

• View Profile
    « Reply #52 on: November 26, 2020, 08:09:15 am »
    Okay, not trying to be rude or pushy here, but if you all really think I shouldn't bother, show me what goes into it so I can 'see for myself,' so to speak.

Just nitpick every aspect of my current cover designs to death. You don't have to be aggressive or rude about it, but leave no doubt in my mind. A few people standing me at the foot of the mountain and pointing out how distant the peak is will scare me way more effectively than a hundred people just telling me "it's too high, you won't make it, trust me." Explain in frank terms why all of those stock photo covers I find so boring are way more enticing. Tell me just how much I stand to lose by fumbling with this, and why spending $300-500 per book for pictures that will probably match the industry standard is a wiser long-term investment than learning to do it myself, when my general marketing skills might not even get more than a few hundred people in front of the thumbnail for the first decade of my potential career anyway.
    « Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 08:28:50 am by Almyrigan Hero »

Online Gessert Books

• Madison, WI
    • Book Layout and Formatting by Phillip Gessert
      • View Profile
      • Gessert Books: Book Layout and Formatting
    « Reply #53 on: November 26, 2020, 08:33:25 am »
    Okay, so I developed concept H a bit more, and how does this fare, at least for a placeholder? Contrasting colors, simple stylized imagery, vaguely plot-relevant but not saturated with characters and items, big weird thing smack-dab in the middle. Probably not perfect, but better than what I've got so far?

(If not, maybe I should just start a new thread on cover design, since I'm interested in the subject but I might have kinda derailed this thread with it.)

EDIT: Just realized, it might look a bit better if the text was silver or some other color.

One thing I noticed across a few of your examples: I think you tend to shove the title very near the trim, probably so that it doesn't obscure your artwork. This is one area where I think your art hobby might be getting in the way a little bit, as the title should be much more prominent even if it feels like a shame to cover something with it. The composition will be more appealing and look a little less homemade.
    « Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 08:41:19 am by Gessert Books »

Online Jeff Hughes

• Warrenton, VA
      • View Profile
      • JeffreyHughes.Net
    « Reply #54 on: November 26, 2020, 09:06:48 am »
    To make a sale, you have to...

First, have your book rendered on the screen of a prospective buyer.  That will probably require advertising.

Second, your cover has to - in a fraction of a second - communicate its genre, its title, its author, and it needs to elicit an emotional response in that prospective buyer.

Third, your blurb has perhaps five or seven seconds to pull that prospective reader into your story.

Fourth, the writing itself has to be compelling from the very beginning - the part that the Look Inside displays.

Fifth, it's helpful - but not strictly necessary - that you have a bunch of reviews talking about what a wonderful author you are and what an amazing story this is.

Fail at any of those, and there's no sale.

Like you, I originally contemplated creating my own cover.  I'm a photographer, after all.  Why waste several hundred bucks when I could do it myself?  Alas, after faffing around with it all for too many hours - including spending $66 bucks on a paperback copy of THE ELEMENTS OF TYPOGRAPHIC STYLE - I slowly came to the dawning realization of what a bunch of people here have already tried to convince you of - that a good cover is a whole lot more than a pretty image.

Amazon has literally millions of books in its database.  The vast, vast majority of those don't sell at all.  Even if you do everything perfectly, the odds against your title are daunting.  Don't make them impossible.

Jeff Hughes

Offline Almyrigan Hero

• View Profile
    « Reply #55 on: November 26, 2020, 09:28:36 am »
    Ah, who am I kidding? I know nothing about commercial art, and I guess even the premium price to get a cover done isn't that much, considering I'm not likely to be pumping out multiple books in a year. I'm sorry, guys, I've made this way too much of a point of pride; anybody who cares enough to read my book through will probably care enough to read my ending blurb where I shill my art page and give it a looksee. Literally every single detail doesn't need to be completely under my control.

That said, my family did bring up an interesting point; might it be worth seeking some advanced reviews beforehand? If nothing else, that could influence what I ask the artist to emphasize. I concede, but I'm still not eager to spend that sort of money blindly or in a rush.

Offline ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #56 on: November 26, 2020, 10:24:18 am »
    Ah, who am I kidding? I know nothing about commercial art, and I guess even the premium price to get a cover done isn't that much, considering I'm not likely to be pumping out multiple books in a year. I'm sorry, guys, I've made this way too much of a point of pride; anybody who cares enough to read my book through will probably care enough to read my ending blurb where I shill my art page and give it a looksee. Literally every single detail doesn't need to be completely under my control.

That said, my family did bring up an interesting point; might it be worth seeking some advanced reviews beforehand? If nothing else, that could influence what I ask the artist to emphasize. I concede, but I'm still not eager to spend that sort of money blindly or in a rush.

I think this is a really good idea. You don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get a good fantasy cover. If I were in the market for an illustrated fantasy cover (I'm a cover designer, but I do Daz and photo-manip, not illustration) and I wanted to stick to a $500-or-less kind of budget, I would be looking seriously at J. Caleb Clark. He does great work and his prices are very fair. He's booked out until August 2021, unfortunately, but if you don't mind waiting, he would be a great option. If you're willing to look at photo-manip covers, Deranged Doctor Design also makes very nice covers.

ARCs come out in advance of the book being published, so your review copies wouldn't be ARCs, but if you're looking for reviews, I think Hidden Gems will take books that are already published. I'm not sure if you can use them while being in Select, though. (Not sure if you are in Select, but I just wanted to mention it.)

https://www.jcalebdesign.com/

https://www.derangeddoctordesign.com/epic-and-high-fantasy-book-covers.html

Offline Almyrigan Hero

• View Profile
    « Reply #57 on: November 26, 2020, 01:38:30 pm »
    Well...I did enroll in KDP Select, actually, and a bit prematurely by the looks of it. I don't know exactly what Amazon would think of me distributing review copies on other sites, but if I'm not a marketing munchkin then I'm certainly not a legal eagle, so instead of tempting fate, I think I'll just put off those plans for the time being.

Meanwhile, though, I still want to at least develop a better placeholder; and no, I'm not too inclined to spend $80 - $100 on a premade that I intend on replacing in less than three months. I feel like I've got the start of something temporarily passible here, but I can't quite settle on a font that looks fancy enough to be fantasy, but still fits the whole title legibly in thumbnail size.

On another note, I should probably explain my ambitions and expectations a bit more thoroughly here. I am...sort of just writing for the enjoyment of it? I do want to make back more than I'm spending (obviously,) but I'm not necessarily expecting nor directly aiming to claw my way up the rankings or make this my primary source of income. For all intents and purposes, I'm just a hobbyist with mild ambitions and a vague hope that my book might happen into the right reviewer's hands.

I...could cough up $300 - $500 for a 'cheap' market-quality cover (and I still probably will, after my resolve finishes dissolving,) but as someone who's not necessarily looking at this from a business investment sense, it is a little bit difficult to wrap my head around that sort of investment. Sure, time is money, but money is also time, and it's gonna take quite a few sales for a low-to-no-profile indie book to absorb that kind of cost. Sales that, even after I have a good thumbnail, will probably require some fairly heavy advertising to get off the ground.

The point being, I'm looking for a balance. I'm not aiming to outbid the big leagues for the front page, not yet at least, I just want something that'll stand out (in an interesting way) amid the sea of cookie-cutter 'sexy photo model confidently staring at the reader while colors swirl in the stock background behind them' covers.
    « Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 01:48:21 pm by Almyrigan Hero »

Offline Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #58 on: November 26, 2020, 02:05:05 pm »
    I'd say you could make your own cover - you've got the skill.

But make the TITLE and AUTHOR NAME much, much bigger. And make the whole thing a lot brighter and easier to see at a glance in a thumbnail.

You enjoy the drawing, so give it a go first and post results back here before shelling out for someone else to do it for you.

What do you have to lose, lol?

Offline Simon Haynes

• View Profile
      • spacejock.com.au
    « Reply #59 on: November 26, 2020, 02:29:30 pm »
    Depositphotos has a $39 special on at the moment - 100 stock images, no expiry.

That's enough art to stitch together 25+ covers.

Also yWriter, free novel-writing software for Windows PCs. (Mac version in progress).

Offline GTurnbull

• Wollongong, NSW, Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #60 on: November 26, 2020, 02:55:37 pm »
     8)
    Well...I did enroll in KDP Select, actually, and a bit prematurely by the looks of it. I don't know exactly what Amazon would think of me distributing review copies on other sites, but if I'm not a marketing munchkin then I'm certainly not a legal eagle, so instead of tempting fate, I think I'll just put off those plans for the time being.

Meanwhile, though, I still want to at least develop a better placeholder; and no, I'm not too inclined to spend $80 - $100 on a premade that I intend on replacing in less than three months. I feel like I've got the start of something temporarily passible here, but I can't quite settle on a font that looks fancy enough to be fantasy, but still fits the whole title legibly in thumbnail size.

On another note, I should probably explain my ambitions and expectations a bit more thoroughly here. I am...sort of just writing for the enjoyment of it? I do want to make back more than I'm spending (obviously,) but I'm not necessarily expecting nor directly aiming to claw my way up the rankings or make this my primary source of income. For all intents and purposes, I'm just a hobbyist with mild ambitions and a vague hope that my book might happen into the right reviewer's hands.

I...could cough up $300 - $500 for a 'cheap' market-quality cover (and I still probably will, after my resolve finishes dissolving,) but as someone who's not necessarily looking at this from a business investment sense, it is a little bit difficult to wrap my head around that sort of investment. Sure, time is money, but money is also time, and it's gonna take quite a few sales for a low-to-no-profile indie book to absorb that kind of cost. Sales that, even after I have a good thumbnail, will probably require some fairly heavy advertising to get off the ground.

The point being, I'm looking for a balance. I'm not aiming to outbid the big leagues for the front page, not yet at least, I just want something that'll stand out (in an interesting way) amid the sea of cookie-cutter 'sexy photo model confidently staring at the reader while colors swirl in the stock background behind them' covers.

Yeah what you got there looks pretty sweet, but like a bloke above said, probably got to shrink the art down to give your title more prominence and not so close to the trim. And this here is just my personal opinion or taste, and black being my favorite color, I reckon a black, smoky style background or something to make the gold pop, any cover with those types of colors typically draw my attention for some reason.

But yeah, that design looks pretty sweet and you can craft graphics or images of that caliber by your own hand, I'd be designing my own cover too. On top of saving money, being an aspiring indie author, nothing truly encapsulates the process by doing everything single handedly. People will probably say, 'you can't do everything yourself!' but if you can, and the end product is attractive, well written, well, I tip my metaphorical bonnet to you.

Offline jaxonreed

• View Profile
      • jaxonreed.com
    « Reply #61 on: November 26, 2020, 04:40:43 pm »
    The latest graphic looks pretty good. I agree, shrink it down and nail your font for author and title. It reminds me a bit of Brandon Sanderson's Dawn Shard. https://www.amazon.com/Dawnshard-Stormlight-Archive-Brandon-Sanderson-ebook/dp/B08MXXWYT7/

For that matter, it's always good to take a look at the top 100 titles in your genre. After you get done with the artwork, take a look at the Fantasy Top 100 and compare their covers to your own efforts: https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Kindle-Store-Fantasy/zgbs/digital-text/158576011/

All told, if you're just in it for a hobby and would like to play around in cover design, far be it for us to discourage you. Get something you're proud of up there and go from there.

Offline chrisstevenson

• Los Angeles
    • Warrior Writer
      • View Profile
      • Christy's Young Adult Fabuliers
    « Reply #62 on: November 26, 2020, 05:36:19 pm »
    Nice improvement. I like that! I like that blue, which sets good with the gold. Just my opinion. I've never done a cover from ground up.
    Guerrilla Warfare For Writers (special weapons and tactics)
    http://guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com/

Christy's Young Adult Fabuliers https://christysyoungadultimagineers.com/

Amazon Page: https://www.amazon.com/Chris-Harold-Stevenson/e/B001K8UUBK

Offline Simon Haynes

• View Profile
      • spacejock.com.au
    « Reply #63 on: November 26, 2020, 05:40:32 pm »
    It does look good. Reminds me strongly of the 1970's LOTR covers, but not the content, just the overall design.

The typography definitely needs work though. Much larger fonts, for a start.

Also yWriter, free novel-writing software for Windows PCs. (Mac version in progress).

Offline ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #64 on: November 26, 2020, 07:19:08 pm »

That's much better! Now, what will make it look even better is if you shrink the image down to about 65% of the size you've got it there, so you can make the text larger and actually give everything room to breathe.
    « Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 07:21:11 pm by ShayneRutherford »

Offline Doglover

• Cambridge, United Kingdom
    • If you want real love, buy a dog.
      • View Profile
      • Margaret Brazear Author
    « Reply #65 on: November 27, 2020, 12:44:14 am »
    Depositphotos has a $39 special on at the moment - 100 stock images, no expiry.

That's enough art to stitch together 25+ covers.

Really? They keep sending me the usual 100 for $100. I'm off to have a look

The past is another country; they do things differently there
    Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Newsletter

Offline Simon Haynes

• View Profile
      • spacejock.com.au
    « Reply #66 on: November 27, 2020, 01:19:55 am »
    The difference with this one (other than price) is that it doesn't expire.

Here's the direct link. (It's always been $50 in the past, so it's even better than usual.)

https://appsumo.com/depositphotos-black-friday-2020/

Offline Doglover

• Cambridge, United Kingdom
    • If you want real love, buy a dog.
      • View Profile
      • Margaret Brazear Author
    « Reply #67 on: November 27, 2020, 01:41:26 am »
    The difference with this one (other than price) is that it doesn't expire.

Here's the direct link. (It's always been $50 in the past, so it's even better than usual.)

https://appsumo.com/depositphotos-black-friday-2020/

Thanks for that. I've got enough now forever!

The past is another country; they do things differently there
    Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Newsletter

Offline Corvid

• View Profile
    « Reply #68 on: November 27, 2020, 07:55:23 am »

Allow me to be the dissenting voice here. I believe you're being misled on this whole cover design thing, not in a malicious way, but it's still happening.

This is because, frankly, most authors are poor arbiters of what constitutes good cover design. I don't say that to offend anyone, but let's be real about what really works. Always look at the top sellers in your genre. What do their covers look like? Be honest in your assessment as a point of comparison.

Shayne is an obvious exception here, as a pro designer, but generally speaking there's a reason pro cover designers are paid good money by authors. It's because most writers have no clue what works from a design perspective. That's not their milieu. But, yes, the world is full of authors designing their covers, and you can tell that they have, not just in looking at their poor/homemade design, but also in what they earn in terms of income.

What's worse is, a lot of people believe their covers look good when they do not. A lot of authors leave a lot of money on the table in terms of sales because they think their covers are up to par when they're not.  Fact is, people are generally not great at judging or honestly assessing their own handiwork. It almost always takes an outside eye... an outside TRAINED eye.

So, again...

Do not listen to other authors when it comes to cover design, unless they happen to be one of those outliers who can do both. Just know that... THEY ARE RARE.

Show me an author designing her/his own covers, I'll show you an author whose sales performance you likely would rather not emulate. Yes, there are exceptions... but, not very many. Which is to say, odds are VERY good you're not one of them. That's okay, no big deal, everyone can't be good at everything, just hire it out to a professional.

And...

No, your cover design is nowhere near this, even after adding typography (which is a whole other, and yet no less important, skill-set, btw):

If you can't see the vast gulf in design quality between these two, then to me that would further exemplify the point I'm trying to make.

The people in this thread, I'm sure, are lovely people - believe it or not, I'm a nice person too - but, respectfully, anyone telling you to do other than hire someone to design your cover(s) for you is wasting your time and money.

Again, I'm not saying anyone here is misleading you out of maliciousness - I believe everyone means well. I'm just saying, they're giving you a false impression of cover design quality when you hold your design up against the top sellers in your genre (which you always should).

In the interest of maximizing sales, yes, spending $300-$500 on a cover that can stack up against the Top 100 in your genre is probably prudent. Doesn't necessarily have to be that amount, but it's probably in the ballpark.

AND AGAIN - HUGE CAVEAT TO ALL OF THE ABOVE:

If you're not in this to maximize sales, then go ahead and play around doing your own thing. But, if sales matter to you, do not listen to other authors outside of the extreme outliers.

Offline Almyrigan Hero

• View Profile
    « Reply #69 on: November 27, 2020, 09:21:08 am »
    Oh no, I absolutely do understand that I don't have bestseller cover material (and for that matter I'm not going to pretend I expect my first ever book to be bestseller material;) in that regard, I feel like I've already endeavored to make my point clear. For the time being, I'm more interested in developing new artistic talents than maximizing profits. Heck, I'd honestly be pretty thrilled if I got in the top 1,000s, much less the top 100s. Yeah, that cover looks more professional than mine, full stop, not gonna deny it. All of these have technically been 'placeholders' so far, and I haven't spent more than a day on any given draft; I could certainly boost the quality way, way up with proper time and effort, although I do still realize that's not going to make it a big-league cover.

I think I'm going to go through on what I said before, and just start a separate thread on cover design. I've already explained a few times over that I want to at least give it a proper shot, but given the initial tone of the thread, I've understandably been getting a lot more "don't"s and "do"s than "this is how you should if you're gonna"s, which is more what I'm after at this point. Respectfully considering your recommendation, I've already undergone enough confidence whiplash that I now want to give it a full shake, if for nothing else than to test my upward limits. Even if only for the remaining duration of my KDP Select enrollment and the time it takes to get my first review. If I haven't stumbled on a sufficient design by that point, then maybe I'll drop the price of a current-gen gaming console on a drawing of a snake in a circle.
    « Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 09:54:39 am by Almyrigan Hero »

Offline jaxonreed

• View Profile
      • jaxonreed.com
    « Reply #70 on: November 27, 2020, 10:48:29 am »
    Oh no, I absolutely do understand that I don't have bestseller cover material (and for that matter I'm not going to pretend I expect my first ever book to be bestseller material;) in that regard, I feel like I've already endeavored to make my point clear. For the time being, I'm more interested in developing new artistic talents than maximizing profits. Heck, I'd honestly be pretty thrilled if I got in the top 1,000s, much less the top 100s. Yeah, that cover looks more professional than mine, full stop, not gonna deny it. All of these have technically been 'placeholders' so far, and I haven't spent more than a day on any given draft; I could certainly boost the quality way, way up with proper time and effort, although I do still realize that's not going to make it a big-league cover.

I think I'm going to go through on what I said before, and just start a separate thread on cover design. I've already explained a few times over that I want to at least give it a proper shot, but given the initial tone of the thread, I've understandably been getting a lot more "don't"s and "do"s than "this is how you should if you're gonna"s, which is more what I'm after at this point. Respectfully considering your recommendation, I've already undergone enough confidence whiplash that I now want to give it a full shake, if for nothing else than to test my upward limits. Even if only for the remaining duration of my KDP Select enrollment and the time it takes to get my first review. If I haven't stumbled on a sufficient design by that point, then maybe I'll drop the price of a current-gen gaming console on a drawing of a snake in a circle.

Yeah I think we've been saying "don't don't don't" enough in this thread to get you the idea. We've given you plenty to go on from a professional standpoint, but the whole thing turns on a dime if you're approaching this as a hobby. If you don't really care from a genuine aspect how much money you're going to make selling books, by all means continue. As you can see, Sanderson's cover indeed reminds me a lot of your latest effort. It's that whole dragon in a circle thing. Find the right fonts and proportions and it will start to take shape. On this I think everyone can agree, encouragement is due.

On the other hand, if you want to start on the road toward trying to sell books, then the advice given earlier stands. It's a completely different ball of wax depending on how serious you are about writing.

Offline Almyrigan Hero

• View Profile
    « Reply #71 on: November 27, 2020, 11:05:11 am »
    I mean, I'm sorry if I came to the wrong forums, but I never claimed to be strictly professional, nothing about the site itself signposts that it's strictly for professionals, and I made my interest in designing my own cover pretty explicit from the moment the topic of cover design came up. I fail to see how exactly I've been leading anyone on, aside from...maybe flip-flopping a bit in terms of resolve on the subject? That said, if this place is for people looking to hit the big time, and I'm just not ready, then recommend freely. I'd rather be unceremoniously turned away to a site where I fit in better, than flounder around looking for the wrong thing in the wrong place and waste the time of everyone involved; you have all been fairly patient and kind, all things considered.

Edited to removed quoted post. Drop me a PM if you have any questions. - Becca
    « Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 10:54:45 am by Becca Mills »

Online J. Tanner

• California
      • View Profile
      • J. Tanner vs. the Page
    « Reply #72 on: November 28, 2020, 09:03:48 am »
    I mean, I'm sorry if I came to the wrong forums, but I never claimed to be strictly professional, nothing about the site itself signposts that it's strictly for professionals, and I made my interest in designing my own cover pretty explicit from the moment the topic of cover design came up. I fail to see how exactly I've been leading anyone on, aside from...maybe flip-flopping a bit in terms of resolve on the subject? That said, if this place is for people looking to hit the big time, and I'm just not ready, then recommend freely. I'd rather be unceremoniously turned away to a site where I fit in better, than flounder around looking for the wrong thing in the wrong place and waste the time of everyone involved; you have all been fairly patient and kind, all things considered.

This forum isn't exclusive to pros. You're fine. Getting the best DIY cover possible is a reasonable use. Those who don't want to assist can read other threads instead.
    J. Tanner vs. the Page (blog)

Collection        | Appearing in                          | Stories                                        (KU)          (KU)        | Action/Adventure Series

Offline Diamond Eyes

• View Profile
    « Reply #73 on: November 28, 2020, 09:44:16 am »
    You could probably figure out how to do a cover that works. Why not? It's a learnable skill. But I'd recommend to not look at what Brandon Sanderson, Tolkien, GRRM, etc. have on their covers as your inspiration or model. Those authors sell on their name and reputation, not the cover. The popular trad authors could stick a plain white cover with their name and book title in black comic sans and still sell a truck load of books. You'd do better if you look at the top 100 hot new releases in your genre and find what other newer indie authors are doing with current releases that are becoming popular. Then do something similar but different.

Offline alhawke

• View Profile
      • A.L. Hawke website
    « Reply #74 on: November 28, 2020, 09:55:09 am »
    You'd do better if you look at the top 100 hot new releases in your genre and find what other newer indie authors are doing with current releases that are becoming popular. Then do something similar but different.
    I agree with this. The trend with trad published covers are ... a little boring (sorry, I'm definitely generalizing, but it's my opinion). Why? Because trad don't want to take the chances Indies do. They want their books to appeal to everyone. Why do you think there are so few images and mainly writing on those covers?

Almyrigan, I actually liked your first cover and the "dark" one. You could hire someone for a small fee to spuce something like those up a bit, font/or whatever, size, lighting, to match genre and fit the bestsellers. You actually can hire artists to work on typography only. My biggest problem with your first book was that the size did not appear standard. But, if you ask my opinion, your cover and writing seem creative. Use that with your marketing. Good luck, whatever you choose.

A.L. Hawke | Author website | Goodreads | BookBub

KBoards.com

• Advertisement