Author Topic: Is There a Difference In PAPERBACK Quality Between Amazon v IngramSpark v Lulu?  (Read 525 times)  

Online Marseille, France or Bust

• View Profile
I always print paperbacks through Amazon. But wondering if the quality is different when using another service?
Your experience?

Thanks.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline DmGuay

• OH
      • View Profile
    YES!!

I ordered paperback author copies through Amazon. And boy. There's a difference. The ones that come from Barnes & Noble--which they print via Ingram-- are sooooo much nicer. Better cover stock. Better binding.

The paperbacks I ordered from Amazon, the cover paper curls up slightly at the ends, fresh out of the box. And, I have had readers complain of the bindings completely falling apart even on new books.

I'm considering migrating all of my paperbacks to Ingram Spark next year, because of this.

I cannot speak to Lulu though. If you have the option of ordering a sample, I'd recommend doing so.

D.M. Guay | Web site

Offline ShawnaReads

• View Profile
    I've ordered books from Lulu (for personal projects) over the years, and I think their quality has gone down noticeably. It's not terrible, but I would say it's not up to the standards of IS, and it's also too expensive for anything but one-off personal things. I would never consider using it for publishing my books to readers.

• View Profile
    Thanks so much for the insight. I have never ordered one of my paperbacks from B&N, though I offer them there.

YES!!

I ordered paperback author copies through Amazon. And boy. There's a difference. The ones that come from Barnes & Noble--which they print via Ingram-- are sooooo much nicer. Better cover stock. Better binding.

The paperbacks I ordered from Amazon, the cover paper curls up slightly at the ends, fresh out of the box. And, I have had readers complain of the bindings completely falling apart even on new books.

I'm considering migrating all of my paperbacks to Ingram Spark next year, because of this.

I cannot speak to Lulu though. If you have the option of ordering a sample, I'd recommend doing so.

• View Profile
    Just checked prices, and you are right.  Will stick with alternatives. Thanks.

I've ordered books from Lulu (for personal projects) over the years, and I think their quality has gone down noticeably. It's not terrible, but I would say it's not up to the standards of IS, and it's also too expensive for anything but one-off personal things. I would never consider using it for publishing my books to readers.

Offline CatherineM

• Never judge a book by its cover.
      • View Profile
    Thanks for asking, OP. I have wondered about that, too. I've only ever seen Amazon copies.

• View Profile
    Me too.

Thanks for asking, OP. I have wondered about that, too. I've only ever seen Amazon copies.

Offline CatherineM

• Never judge a book by its cover.
      • View Profile
    Me too.

From what I can see, my readers most definitely prefer paperbacks. I have almost zero ebook sales. When the expanded distribution stats come in, all I can do is wonder. I guess they are receiving better copies at a discounted price now.

Hmmm.

Who knows?

Amazon.

lol

Offline GeneDoucette

• View Profile
      • Gene Doucette's Blog
    I agree with the above opinions, Ingram is a better quality than Amazon. I don't use Lulu so I can't compare.

• View Profile
    Seems like Ingram/B&N have it over Amazon.

I agree with the above opinions, Ingram is a better quality than Amazon. I don't use Lulu so I can't compare.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement