Author Topic: ACX contracts frozen forever  (Read 1202 times)  

Offline Lisa5

• View Profile
ACX contracts frozen forever
« on: November 25, 2020, 07:10:22 pm »
My ebook has been "in process" since 2018 on ACX because the narrator agreed to the contract but then said she had strep throat and stopped returning emails. I haven't been able to get them to return an email to dissolve the contract with ACX but the contract should have expired anyway in 2018 but I STILL can't claim the ebook and ACX is closed for thanksgiving right now.

Would it be OK to go ahead and claim the print book because it's not letting me claim the ebook to make my audio book but it says I can claim the print book or would that cause problems?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline EmparentingMom

• View Profile
    Re: ACX contracts frozen forever
    « Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 11:36:01 pm »
    Is KDP also not updating properly?

Offline Doglover

• Cambridge, United Kingdom
    • If you want real love, buy a dog.
      • View Profile
      • Margaret Brazear Author
    « Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 11:52:52 pm »
    Is KDP also not updating properly?
    What?

OP, I assume you've tried contacting ACX about this, but if I were you, I would go ahead with claiming the print book. It's totally out of order that you can't get another narrator because your existing one has stopped replying. What do they do if someone dies? Wait for them to reincarnate, I presume.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
    Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Newsletter

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
    • Destroyer of Science Fiction
      • View Profile
      • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
    « Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 11:56:33 pm »
    I very much doubt you'd be able to claim the print book. I had a similar situation and couldn't claim the print book.

Anyway, since you've been waiting since 2018, waiting until they open back up onMonday shouldn't be so hard.

ACX is a lot of things that I could name but would get me bleeped out on the forum, but unresponsive to emails is not one of those things.

Send ACX an email, explain what you've done and that you think the book should be available again, and it's highly likely they'll unfreeze it.

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 12:31:11 am »

Send ACX an email, explain what you've done and that you think the book should be available again, and it's highly likely they'll unfreeze it.
    I just assumed she had already done that, but perhaps not.

I'm getting peed off with them now; I've paid for the audible, got people asking for it, but there's still no sign of the wretched thing.

Offline Sam Kates

• UK
      • View Profile
      • Sam Kates
    « Reply #5 on: November 26, 2020, 04:36:14 am »
    I'm getting peed off with them now; I've paid for the audible, got people asking for it, but there's still no sign of the wretched thing.
    You're not the only one right now, though most of us are ticked off due to their shenanigans over returns - there's a thread around here about it.

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: November 26, 2020, 05:36:50 am »
    You're not the only one right now, though most of us are ticked off due to their shenanigans over returns - there's a thread around here about it.
    Didn't I read that they will not be taking our royalties back if it's returned after seven days?

Offline Sam Kates

• UK
      • View Profile
      • Sam Kates
    « Reply #7 on: November 26, 2020, 08:23:40 am »
    Didn't I read that they will not be taking our royalties back if it's returned after seven days?

Yes, from January. The trouble is that if they continue to withhold details of returns from us, we'll never be certain how many are being returned within 7 days. If the reality is that most returns take place within that period (and many voracious listeners can comfortably listen to an audiobook within that timeframe), then we're no better off. Authors/narrators are pressing for them to provide full details of returns and to agree to not accepting returns if more than, say, 30 percent has been listened to. There's certainly no reason why they can't provide full details of returns; their apparent reluctance to do so makes me, for one, highly suspicious.

Online ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #8 on: November 26, 2020, 10:27:53 am »

Yes. But the complaint a lot of people have is that someone can listen to an entire audiobook in far less than 7 days. I think they would rather have it be that if the book was listened to all the way through it can't be refunded, no matter how many days the person had it for.

Offline Lisa5

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: November 26, 2020, 01:26:39 pm »
    Yes I heard this as well so I was hopeful as I want to make 4 audio books now.

Offline Lisa5

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: November 26, 2020, 01:31:03 pm »
    I very much doubt you'd be able to claim the print book. I had a similar situation and couldn't claim the print book.

Anyway, since you've been waiting since 2018, waiting until they open back up onMonday shouldn't be so hard.

ACX is a lot of things that I could name but would get me bleeped out on the forum, but unresponsive to emails is not one of those things.

Weirdly it was saying I was able to claim the print book but that the ebook was still "in progress" But I was nervous something might go wrong if I followed through with that since it doesn't make logical sense that you can do that.

But you are right about ACX even though the website says they are closed and can't be contacted until after Thanksgiving someone HAS returned my email and said I have to send a message through the "production" system to the 2018 narrator telling her I'm dissolving it and that I don't have to get her permission after all like they were insisting back in 2018 I just have to send a message to her asserting I'm dissolving through their system so that sounds good.  :D I gave up on the situation back in 2018 but had decided I was going to try and fix it now.

Offline Lisa5

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: November 26, 2020, 01:33:49 pm »
    Yes I heard this as well so I was hopeful as I want to make 4 audio books now.

Yeah some people will definitely take advantage. I guess they want the customer to feel confident buying that they can return it if it really sucks but you can't make it be too long.

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: November 27, 2020, 12:40:00 am »
    Yes. But the complaint a lot of people have is that someone can listen to an entire audiobook in far less than 7 days. I think they would rather have it be that if the book was listened to all the way through it can't be refunded, no matter how many days the person had it for.
    But we've had that with e-books for years. Sometimes a whole series is read then each book returned and refunded.

Offline Sam Kates

• UK
      • View Profile
      • Sam Kates
    « Reply #13 on: November 27, 2020, 09:57:07 am »
    But we've had that with e-books for years. Sometimes a whole series is read then each book returned and refunded.
    The big difference, though, is that ebook sellers don't usually encourage ebook purchasers to return the book after they've read it for a full credit they can reuse on another book, no questions asked. If, say, Amazon did this with our ebooks so that refunds became far more prevalent than they are currently and significantly ate into our earnings (some audiobook authors estimate they're losing up to half of their income through returns), there'd be an almighty outcry.

Offline Lynn McNamee

• Carolinas
      • View Profile
      • Red Adept Publishing
    « Reply #14 on: November 28, 2020, 03:11:45 pm »
    We've had that happen a few times.

Just email ACX and tell them you wish to cancel the contract because the narrator has not met the deadline and won't respond.

Offline Moe D

• View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: November 28, 2020, 06:21:59 pm »

Thank you for this. I needed the laugh. ;D

Online ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #16 on: November 28, 2020, 08:36:07 pm »

Yes, I'm well aware of that. That's no reason that it shouldn't be changed for audiobooks.

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: November 29, 2020, 12:44:56 am »
    Yes, I'm well aware of that. That's no reason that it shouldn't be changed for audiobooks.
    I didn't say it did.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement