Author Topic: iBooks publishing for non-US author  (Read 419 times)  

Offline Sheridan_West

• View Profile
iBooks publishing for non-US author
« on: November 27, 2020, 01:54:26 pm »
I'm trying to set up an account on iBooks and it requires US tax number. I live in Canada and don't have one. I am confused, should I get a US tax number even if I'm not a US tax resident?

Sheridan West

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline unkownwriter

• View Profile
    Re: iBooks publishing for non-US author
    « Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 02:49:01 pm »
    You can go through an aggregator, like Draft to Digital. I don't think it's possible to get a US tax number as a non-citizen, but you should talk to a local tax person who knows this sort of thing.

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
    • Destroyer of Science Fiction
      • View Profile
      • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
    « Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 03:46:15 pm »
    You can apply for an EIN over the phone in half an hour. They give it to you one the spot.

Just drop 5 bucks in your skype account and listen to a terrible American radio station for half an hour while you wait. There are lots of online posts on how to do it, just google

However, if you want an EIN you actually need to be a business and registered as such. This is a really good idea if you plan to publish more. With Apple I strongly advise setting up a business first and applying for a new Apple ID that's not your personal Apple ID because otherwise you may have issues with Apple listing your personal name as the publisher.

Then google  How to apply for an EIN

Offline Sheridan_West

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 04:00:15 pm »
    You can apply for an EIN over the phone in half an hour. They give it to you one the spot.

Just drop 5 bucks in your skype account and listen to a terrible American radio station for half an hour while you wait. There are lots of online posts on how to do it, just google

However, if you want an EIN you actually need to be a business and registered as such. This is a really good idea if you plan to publish more. With Apple I strongly advise setting up a business first and applying for a new Apple ID that's not your personal Apple ID because otherwise you may have issues with Apple listing your personal name as the publisher.

Then google  How to apply for an EIN

Thank you! Yes, I have registered a company already.

Sheridan West

Offline Simon Haynes

• View Profile
      • spacejock.com.au
    « Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 04:49:20 pm »
    I have an Apple account for my app publishing, but to be honest it was easier to use Smashwords to get to Apple than go direct. Just my opinion.

Also yWriter, free novel-writing software for Windows PCs. (Mac version in progress).

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 05:19:40 pm »
    I have an Apple account for my app publishing, but to be honest it was easier to use Smashwords to get to Apple than go direct. Just my opinion.

It really depends on what you want. If you want to flipflop in and out of KU, you're better off using an aggregator. If you're committed to being wide, those bits of 10-15% really, like *really* start to add up.

Also, aggregators use a lowest-common-denominator formula for uploading metadata which means you have very poor control over your discoverability on those platforms because you can't use all their little quirks and categories.

Offline Simon Haynes

• View Profile
      • spacejock.com.au
    « Reply #6 on: November 27, 2020, 09:03:04 pm »
    It really depends on what you want. If you want to flipflop in and out of KU, you're better off using an aggregator. If you're committed to being wide, those bits of 10-15% really, like *really* start to add up.

Also, aggregators use a lowest-common-denominator formula for uploading metadata which means you have very poor control over your discoverability on those platforms because you can't use all their little quirks and categories.

I agree with all of the above.  It does take away fine control and you end up with a lower commission too.

It still suited me due to the streamlined process, and aside from that I never did get the apple books software to accept any of my epubs. I couldn't afford to spend any more time on it, and soon afterwards (August last year) I switched to KU exclusive where I've remained ever since.

But before that I was wide for 7 years straight, and one of the things that did get to me was having to maintain so many books (50+ titles) on multiple stores. I love uploading to Kobo, tolerate uploading to Amazon, but the rest drove me nuts at times. (Eventually I learned to live with Smashwords by uploading my finished EPUB.)

Also yWriter, free novel-writing software for Windows PCs. (Mac version in progress).

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 01:16:26 am »
    I agree with all of the above.  It does take away fine control and you end up with a lower commission too.

It still suited me due to the streamlined process, and aside from that I never did get the apple books software to accept any of my epubs. I couldn't afford to spend any more time on it, and soon afterwards (August last year) I switched to KU exclusive where I've remained ever since.

But before that I was wide for 7 years straight, and one of the things that did get to me was having to maintain so many books (50+ titles) on multiple stores. I love uploading to Kobo, tolerate uploading to Amazon, but the rest drove me nuts at times. (Eventually I learned to live with Smashwords by uploading my finished EPUB.)

I upload at Kobo, Apple, B&N, Google, Amazon, my own website, DriveThruFiction, Smashwords, D2D, PublishDrive, Streetlib and audio at Kobo, Audible and Findaway.

I have more than 60 books.

If you are able to fine-tune your listings on each retailer, they will each bring in a steady amount. I run almost no  ads.

You do  have to be patient and take each retailer by the horns one at a time. I do use the tools that make it easiest and quickest for me.

But a lot of the stuff you only need to do once.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement