Author Topic: Amazon discontinuing Kindle format for public libraries?  (Read 403 times)  

Offline GBear

• New Hampshire
    • View Profile
Amazon discontinuing Kindle format for public libraries?
« on: November 30, 2020, 11:50:37 am »
I just discovered this alarming post dated 11/18/20 on the "Official Blog of the NH Downloadable Books Service," which provides books for the NH statewide Overdrive service for the local libraries:

We are disappointed to share with our readers that Amazon is not providing the Kindle Book format to popular bestselling titles recently purchased for your digital collection. We hope that Amazon recognizes the importance of their partnership with public libraries and their readers and will choose to reinstate the Kindle Book format to all new titles in the digital collection.

Please contact your local librarians for assistance with using the Libby app to read eBooks on newer iPads, iPhones, and Android devices or to request books in print from your local public library.

I tried googling for more information and I didn't find any other mention of this on the Kboard site, other sites, or Amazon. There are a few articles that bemoan the unfortunate possibility of establishing a delayed window for new digital book releases, to libraries, similar to movie releases. I can't tell from the post if this is something like that or if Amazon and/or publishers might be phasing out making Kindle-formatted books available to libraries at all. In any case, I was surprised to only see this mentioned on NH library sites, with no associated hue and cry, so I thought I'd see what Kboarders may have heard...

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online Ann in Arlington

• Super Moderators-5
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    Re: Amazon discontinuing Kindle format for public libraries?
    « Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 03:08:43 pm »
    I don't think it's Amazon. I think it's the publishers. For example, the most recent of the Robert Galbraith (pseudonym of JK Rowling) is currently only available in ePub via the library. But it's for sale on Amazon. And yet, lots of other new releases from this fall were available in kindle format via the library.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement