Author Topic: Kindle Unlimited  (Read 1004 times)  

Online Gary_Berg

• View Profile
Kindle Unlimited
« on: November 30, 2020, 05:00:57 pm »
When I add a book to my KU list, should it download automatically to my selected device? I did a reset on my Oasis on Saturday and picked up 3 free months of KU when I ordered a replacement Oasis. So I'm not interested in doing a reset again, but I'm wondering if it should normally work like when I purchase a book? So far with KU books I'm 0 for 5...

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online Ann in Arlington

• Super Moderators-5
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    Re: Kindle Unlimited
    « Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 07:08:09 am »
    What exactly are you doing? Because I have a "KU list" but it's a wish list. Putting things on that list doesn't send it anywhere; it's just to keep track of what I want to read. To actually buy or borrow it, I have to go to the book page and do that.

That said, I do not subscribe to KU, so I'm not 100% certain, but there should be a prominent 'borrow' button on a page and, if you click that, it should go to your device. I know that's the case for books in Prime Reading, and I've seen the button for KU -- I'm sure if I clicked it they'd happily let me subscribe immediately. :)

One other thought: my recollection is you can only have 10 borrowed at a time. So if you've already borrowed 10, you can't borrow any more until you send one back.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Online Gary_Berg

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 08:11:09 am »
    I'm adding books to my Ku list on my phone. Basically borrowing them. So adding them to the list of 10.

And I haven't hit the borrow limit. Only borrowed 6 so far. I too expected it to be like Prime Reading.

Sent from my SM-T870 using Tapatalk

Offline Linjeakel

• Moderators-10003
    • United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 09:42:22 am »
    On the website book page, if you're a KU member, there's a large 'Read for 0.00' button instead of the usual 'Buy Now' button. If you're using the Kindle app on your phone to go to the store there should be a similar 'Read now' button.

Once you've clicked on the 'Read' button your book should download to your default device. BUT just lately Kindle users have been reporting intermittent problems with books downloading - whether borrowed or purchased. Switch the sort on your device to "All" or "Cloud" rather than "Downloaded" and see if you can find the book in the cloud. Then just tap on it and it should download as normal. Alternatively, you could go to the 'manage your content and devices' page on the website and download from there, although that's a bit of a long-winded way of doing it.

If the book isn't in the cloud either, then I'm not sure what the problem is.
    Linda

Online Gary_Berg

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 07:11:56 am »
    The book was in the cloud, and downloads to the device when I tap on it. And I reset the device about 2 days before.

Will have to see if the ku book goes to my new Oasis when I add it to my Ku list. New Oasis came yesterday but this is one thing I didn't have time to check...

Offline Linjeakel

• Moderators-10003
    • United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 10:31:56 am »
    The book was in the cloud, and downloads to the device when I tap on it. And I reset the device about 2 days before.

Will have to see if the ku book goes to my new Oasis when I add it to my Ku list. New Oasis came yesterday but this is one thing I didn't have time to check...

I'm still not sure what you mean by 'add it to my KU list'. If you've borrowed the book it automatically goes onto your KU list and (intermittent problems not withstanding) downloads to your default device. You don't have to borrow it again to get it on another device, you just download from the cloud onto whichever device you want it, in the same way you would for a purchased book.

If you new Oasis isn't your default device it won't have automatically downloaded to there when you borrowed it, but as I say, you can locate it in the cloud and download it from there.
    Linda

Online Ann in Arlington

• Super Moderators-5
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 10:32:47 am »
    Another thought: have you checked lately to see if the correct device is listed as your default. Even if you only have one kindle, if you have the app on a phone or tablet it might have reverted to one of them as the default. I've set mine multiple times, but every now and then, for no reason I can figure, it switches to whatever is alphabetically first.

OR ... it could still *think* you have a device on your account that you no longer do, and that is showing as the default. So new stuff is supposed to go there but, as it doesn't exist, it just ends up on your account without being delivered to any particular device.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Online Gary_Berg

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: December 03, 2020, 09:14:28 am »
    By "add to my Ku list" I mean to select "read for free". So I'm adding it to the list.

My new Kindle Oasis is selected as the default device. At least it's listed as such. But although when I borrow a book in ku it shows up in the cloud it doesn't download to the new device until I tap on it. I've not tried purchasing a book since I've had the new Oasis so I don't know if that will download or not. The old Oasis usually worked.

Offline Paperbackstash

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: December 11, 2020, 12:56:04 pm »
    By "add to my Ku list" I mean to select "read for free". So I'm adding it to the list.

My new Kindle Oasis is selected as the default device. At least it's listed as such. But although when I borrow a book in ku it shows up in the cloud it doesn't download to the new device until I tap on it. I've not tried purchasing a book since I've had the new Oasis so I don't know if that will download or not. The old Oasis usually worked.

That seems to be a bug that affects random devices. It affects all of mine unfortunately. I have to manually download books also, and sometimes it takes up to 10 times to get it to go through. Sometimes the issue persists, it randomly pops back up. This may be the issue you're having as well. In case not, just double check with the drop down that your default device is still enabled to send the books to on your amazon account.
    Kindle Family:

Leviathan - Oasis 3
    Inis Odyssey - PW4
    Moonsliver - PW3
    Nostromo - Fire HD 8
    January Embers - Fire HD 2nd Gen

Online Gary_Berg

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: December 12, 2020, 07:26:44 am »
    Having done some testing...

1) If I get a book via KU on my computer, it doesn't automatically download to my Kindle Oasis (default device). I can go to content and devices and send it, or use the option at the end of the free purchase to send it to another device (my Oasis)

2) If I purchase a book, even a free book, it is sent to my Oasis.

So it acts like the process of reading a book for free via KU doesn't send the book to the default device, but purchasing does.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement