Author Topic: Month-long Amazon Kindle Deal report  (Read 617 times)  

Offline ShaneCarrow

• View Profile
Month-long Amazon Kindle Deal report
« on: November 30, 2020, 06:14:22 pm »
Amazon emailed me a few months back with an offer for a "Kindle Deal," in which they knock down the price of one of my books at their own discretion. I figured, hey, why not. The book in question was my $9.99 End Times box set which Amazon chose to knock down to $1.99 for the 30 days of November.

This is September, October and November. (I had a Bookbub in August and some other promos in early September, so that was a bit higher than usual). You can see a noticeable uptick in actual units shifted, but the lower royalty amount and the shift from KU reads to actual sales (the box set is so long I make more money from a KU read than a sale even at normal royalty) meant that financially, it was a wash.

I don't regret doing it but probably wouldn't bother again if they offered me another. The first book in a series, on the other hand, I think would be very worthwhile.

Shane Carrow

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Alex Anders

• At the intersection of Business and Pleasure
      • View Profile
      • AlexAndersBooks.com
    Re: Month-long Amazon Kindle Deal report
    « Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 11:59:49 am »
    Thanks for this. I just got offered one for Germany and was trying to decide.

Looking at your chart, it looks like you made slightly more in blue in November compared to Oct. And you made significantly more in red. It almost looks like double the earnings compared to Oct. Is that not the case?
    MMF Bisexual Romance Author

Website | YouTube | Facebook| Twitter | T-shirts

Offline ShaneCarrow

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 02:35:20 pm »
    Visually, Book Report stacks the blue on top of the red - the blue sales are "higher" in November than October because they're sitting on top of higher red sales. I actually made less in blue KU sales in November, which I usually see in any kind of promo, because people are more inclined to purchase outright when the price has been lowered.

Book Report doesn't break down earnings of sales except day-by-day, and I can't be bothered adding 60 of them up, but I know the box set shoots past the 3,000 page cap so I earn about $12 for a full-book "borrow." So, back of the envelope calculations:

October - $333.47
          23 borrows = $276 in KU reads
          6 sales at full royalty = $57.47

November - $439.99
          18 borrows = $216 in KU reads
          165 sales at reduced royalty = $223.99

So, yeah, an extra hundred bucks, which isn't pointless, but isn't exactly earth-shattering for an official Amazon promo. To be honest I don't know exactly what a "Kindle Deal" gets you except the book being put on one of those endlessly long lists. I assume the algorithm becomes kinder to a book Amazon is promoting but that's just conjecture.

On the other hand, of course, it's free; I could probably get better results with several of the promo sites (and obviously with a Bookbub) but maybe not the same net profit. I suppose there's also the argument that extra copies in readers' hands has the longer-term benefit of more reviews and more readers potentially interested in your other books (though I'm not convinced many readers of this box set ever actually migrate to my other books).

Shane Carrow

Offline Alex Anders

• At the intersection of Business and Pleasure
      • View Profile
      • AlexAndersBooks.com
    « Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 04:27:18 pm »
    So, yeah, an extra hundred bucks, which isn't pointless, but isn't exactly earth-shattering for an official Amazon promo. To be honest I don't know exactly what a "Kindle Deal" gets you except the book being put on one of those endlessly long lists. I assume the algorithm becomes kinder to a book Amazon is promoting but that's just conjecture.

On the other hand, of course, it's free; I could probably get better results with several of the promo sites (and obviously with a Bookbub) but maybe not the same net profit. I suppose there's also the argument that extra copies in readers' hands has the longer-term benefit of more reviews and more readers potentially interested in your other books (though I'm not convinced many readers of this box set ever actually migrate to my other books).
    I like to think of it from the aspect of, "if I were to invest the same amount in the stock market, would I be happy with those returns." So, a 30% increase in one month for doing nothing is great. And now more readers know you exist and may read more of your work. That's not life changing. But I would certainly take that.
    MMF Bisexual Romance Author

Website | YouTube | Facebook| Twitter | T-shirts

Offline ShaneCarrow

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 10:50:14 pm »
    Yep - I guess I just sort of expected a bit more from something that Amazon itself came to my door with (as opposed to me going cap in hand to Bookbub every month).

Shane Carrow

Offline Crystal_

• Portland, OR
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 11:04:23 pm »
    IME a deal of the day is great. Any other promo is just okay. But of course you can't say yes, I'll take a promo but only a daily.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement