Author Topic: ISBN Problems  (Read 590 times)  

Offline catslover

• View Profile
ISBN Problems
« on: January 09, 2021, 11:16:53 am »
My book is done, I'm just taking the last steps, buying the ISBN and the barcode is the next step, something simple I thought ...

I reviewed this step a long time ago and it was only paying $125 for an ISBN, $295 for 10; or even $320 for 10 ISBNs and a barcode, the option I was going to select.

So this was just take out the credit card, get the code, put it on the book and the cover, and get on with it.

But when trying to do this I have noticed that these options and offers are only for the US, I am not in the USA nor am I a citizen.

Apparently to get my ISBN I have to go to the local office in my country? There is no other way to do it online??

In my country all these procedures usually take months.

EDIT: The problem is solved, I already have an ISBN for the digital version and one for the printed version.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 09:46:35 am by catslover »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Some Random Guy

• Planet Earth
      • View Profile
    Re: ISBN Problems
    « Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 11:35:59 am »
    Yes, you need to get the ISBN from your country of residence. BTW, don't spend money buying barcodes. Both Amazon and IS will generate them for you at no extra expense during the cover preparation process and there are free applications available online if you want to generate a barcode yourself.

Offline catslover

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 12:13:34 pm »
    This is actually a bad new for me  :(

The process now will be larger that i was expected.

In relation to the barcode, I think that the barcodes for books cannot be autogenerated, because they are associated with a code/number within the database that is not equivalent to the ISBN number.

Offline ImaWriter

• Canada
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 12:42:03 pm »
    I have never bought a barcode. As pointed out above it is part of the cover process for both Amazon and IS. So don't stress yourself about that.

Does your country have no online registration for ISBNs?

Offline catslover

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: January 09, 2021, 02:00:29 pm »
    Does your country have no online registration for ISBNs?

No, they don't; and due to pandemic the offices are closed, this is going to be something very complicated.

Offline Some Random Guy

• Planet Earth
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 02:22:09 pm »
    In relation to the barcode, I think that the barcodes for books cannot be autogenerated, because they are associated with a code/number within the database that is not equivalent to the ISBN number.

You think wrong. I run a publishing business, and all of the hardcover and paperback books we publish use the barcode generated by KDP Print and IngramSpark during the cover creating process based on the ISBN we enter into their system.

Offline catslover

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 02:28:38 pm »
    You think wrong. I run a publishing business, and all of the hardcover and paperback books we publish use the barcode generated by KDP Print and IngramSpark during the cover creating process based on the ISBN we enter into their system.

Thank you for your clarification, this is a good new because i can save some money  ;)

Offline ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 03:17:04 pm »
    You can publish on Amazon without buying an ISBN. The ebook doesn't need one, and Amazon will give you one that you can use in the Amazon store.

Offline catslover

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: January 09, 2021, 05:50:07 pm »
    You can publish on Amazon without buying an ISBN. The ebook doesn't need one, and Amazon will give you one that you can use in the Amazon store.

Thank you for your feedback, i will research how to get my local ISBN for at least a week, and if i can't i will just publish with Amazon.

Offline Lady Runa

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: January 10, 2021, 06:08:56 am »
    Thank you for your clarification, this is a good new because i can save some money  ;)

And you should also check the ISBN issue procedure in your country. Quite a few countries outside of the US provide ISBNs for their citizens/businesses for free or much cheaper. You absolutely don't need American ISBN numbers to publish with KDP: what you need is the numbers issued by the country where you or your business are located. I don't even think it's legal otherwise.
    « Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 06:12:30 am by Lady Runa »

Storyteller

Offline catslover

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: January 10, 2021, 06:28:19 am »
    And you should also check the ISBN issue procedure in your country. Quite a few countries outside of the US provide ISBNs for their citizens/businesses for free or much cheaper. You absolutely don't need American ISBN numbers to publish with KDP: what you need is the numbers issued by the country where you or your business are located. I don't even think it's legal otherwise.

I am researching it, and apparently yes, it is free!

The problem are the it takes them to give it to you the ISBN, and the apparent need for a editorial in order to get the ISBN. I'm not sure about the second part, but in the future, the first part is solved by requesting the ISBN with more anticipation, I did not know about this, otherwise I would have requested it during the writing process.
    « Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 08:50:54 am by catslover »

Offline catslover

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: January 11, 2021, 09:48:25 am »
    Just to upgrade the thread, the problem is solved, I already have an ISBN for the digital version and one for the printed version.

Before I said that in my country the procedures with the government offices are long and cumbersome, I continue to maintain that, but to register the ISBN the thing is different. The process is fast and free.

I am so happy now  :D

Offline Lady Runa

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: January 11, 2021, 10:09:32 am »
    Just to upgrade the thread, the problem is solved, I already have an ISBN for the digital version and one for the printed version.

Before I said that in my country the procedures with the government offices are long and cumbersome, I continue to maintain that, but to register the ISBN the thing is different. The process is fast and free.

I am so happy now  :D

Congratulations!

Storyteller

KBoards.com

• Advertisement