Author Topic: Book categories  (Read 397 times)  

Offline PeterRhodan

• Gold Coast Australia
  • She'll be right mate
    • View Profile
Book categories
« on: January 11, 2021, 01:58:36 am »
Can someone explain this to me:

How do you get your book into 10 categories when I thought you could only put 2 ?
Am I just especially slow or something?

Peter

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Kathy Dee

• A pro writer is an amateur who didn't quit!
      • View Profile
    Re: Book categories
    « Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 04:19:56 am »
    Can someone explain this to me:

How do you get your book into 10 categories when I thought you could only put 2 ?
    Am I just especially slow or something?

Peter

You just call them, or email them; tell them which categories you want your book in - that's it :)

10 is  the max, but they'll hapily do it for you.

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 05:18:30 am »
    I don't read fantasy, but it seems that some of those "categories" are a little bit....  questionable.  Do all those "Teen and Young Adult (blank) Fantasy" categories really exist as options?

Most writers have the opposite issue:  they can't find cats available on Amazon that accurately fit their books.  In my own bookshelf (for books already published) I don't even see teen/YA as a chooseable option.
    Jena

Offline Darryl Hughes

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 06:52:11 am »
    As was said, you can choose two when you set up your title. After that you can ask Amazon to add new ones up to ten in total. As you can see Amazon will also add categories that they think your title fits into from your metadata. I had one of my children's books put into "Christian Children's bedtime stories" because I chose bedtime stories as a category. Don't know how they got "christian", but since it was pretty high up in the sales rankings I left it alone.

Yeah, but if you want to change a category that your book is in just call or email them and they change it right away.

Dee

"CHEVALIER THE QUEEN'S MOUSEKETEER: The Hither and Yon" by Darryl Hughes and Monique MacNaughton. It's a fabled fairy tale of enor-mouse proportions. NOW ON AMAZON FOR $.99!
    http://www.amazon.com/Kids-Fantasy-Books-CHEVALIER-MOUSEKETEER-Illustrated-ebook/dp/B00DW3LZY2/sr=1-40&keywords=kids+fantasy+books

Offline ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 09:35:12 am »
    I don't read fantasy, but it seems that some of those "categories" are a little bit....  questionable.  Do all those "Teen and Young Adult (blank) Fantasy" categories really exist as options?

Most writers have the opposite issue:  they can't find cats available on Amazon that accurately fit their books.  In my own bookshelf (for books already published) I don't even see teen/YA as a chooseable option.

I didn't check the other genres, but for Teen & YA Fantasy, yes, those categories really exist. Coming-of-Age, Contemporary, Dark Fantasy, Epic, Fairy Tales & Folklore, Historical, Magical Realism, Mysteries, Myths & Legends, Paranormal & Urban, Sword & Sorcery, and Witches & Wizards.

Offline jb1111

• PNW US
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 11:22:27 pm »
    Don't have an answer, really, but congrats on the #1's at the very least.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement