Author Topic: Free Alternatives to Microsoft Word  (Read 1135 times)  

Offline Sam Rivers

• Planet Earth
  • Sci Fi Writer
    • View Profile
Free Alternatives to Microsoft Word
« on: January 13, 2021, 01:40:36 pm »
I have been using Microsoft 2010 for a long time and I decided to try something different. There are some free word processors that I can download.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/5-free-alternatives-to-microsoft-word/#listicle-44bb09e0-aa27-4ada-a215-914c87c93c63

I am considering trying Google Docs since I only want to do word processing. I have a Google account so that is not a problem.

Have you tried these word processors and which do you like?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Randall Wood

• View Profile
    Re: Free Alternatives to Microsoft Word
    « Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 07:43:15 am »
    Try Wavemaker. Similar to Scrivner but free and with more features.

https://wavemaker.co.uk/

Offline Arches

• View Profile
      • Michael Arches
    « Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 09:10:40 am »
    I have been using Microsoft 2010 for a long time and I decided to try something different. There are some free word processors that I can download.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/5-free-alternatives-to-microsoft-word/#listicle-44bb09e0-aa27-4ada-a215-914c87c93c63

I am considering trying Google Docs since I only want to do word processing. I have a Google account so that is not a problem.

Have you tried these word processors and which do you like?

I looked into Word alternatives last year because I bought a new computer, and Microsoft Office is expensive. Unfortunately, it's now hard to find a current version of Word as a standalone program. But I ended up paying for a cheaper version of Office because Word styles and formatting are hard-baked into the publishing world in lots of subtle ways. My life is already too complicated without me constantly being forced to deal with subtle differences between Word and Docs or other word processors.

Offline Nicole Simon

• Berlin, Germany
    • I write about marketing tactics and tools.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 11:46:45 am »
    just as a reference again: you can get a legal copy of office 2019 on ebay for about 5-10 dollars.
    these are oem keys which are usually deliverd with a direct download link.
    if you check the listings, you can see right aways the good sellers providing you enough information.

there are of course alternatives, but the value you get for this amount of money is unbeatable. hth.

Offline Sam Rivers

• Planet Earth
    • Sci Fi Writer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 03:27:08 pm »
    I downloaded  LibreOffice and installed it. I like LibreOffice Writer since it is similar to Microsoft Word.

I wrote on my novel and was pleased with the results.

Offline Kenneth Rosenberg

• View Profile
      • Kenneth Rosenberg
    « Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 05:16:02 pm »
    I've been using LibreOffice for years.  I've probably written my last four novels on it.  No complaints.  Some of the functions are a little different, so it takes a bit of getting used to at first, but overall I like it.

Kenneth Rosenberg | author website | blog | facebook | twitter

Offline unkownwriter

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 05:25:59 pm »
    Libre Office, Open Office. Both free, both pretty much the same as Word. If you send stuff to editors, you want to send a format they can use with Word, and either of the two will do that.

Offline WegR

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 04:32:47 am »
    I like to do things on my computer rather than in the cloud, so another vote for LibreOffice - it's free and it does more than I need it to.

People often suggest OpenOffice, but it's not maintained anymore, and LibreOffice is the far more stable and advanced option.

Offline Speaker-To-Animals

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 07:06:30 pm »
    just as a reference again: you can get a legal copy of office 2019 on ebay for about 5-10 dollars.

Spoiler: just because it activates, doesn't mean it's legal.

Offline jb1111

• PNW US
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: January 16, 2021, 12:46:27 am »
    WPS by Kingsoft has a free version that works. I've used it to write eBooks.

Offline catslover

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: January 16, 2021, 08:58:59 am »
    I use WPS Writer, a pretty nice free MS-Word clone

Offline Arches

• View Profile
      • Michael Arches
    « Reply #11 on: January 16, 2021, 09:51:10 am »
    these are oem keys which are usually deliverd with a direct download link.
    if you check the listings, you can see right aways the good sellers providing you enough information.

there are of course alternatives, but the value you get for this amount of money is unbeatable. hth.

That's what I ended up doing, but I think I spent $20 for a full office suite from some online outfit It ended up being a German version of Office but the download was in English, and Microsoft USA accepted the the access key, no problem. I have no idea what I would've done if they hadn't, but the cost was so low I took a chance.

Offline Nicole Simon

• Berlin, Germany
    • I write about marketing tactics and tools.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: January 16, 2021, 09:52:43 am »
    That's what I ended up doing, but I think I spent $20 for a full office suite from some online outfit It ended up being a German version of Office but the download was in English, and Microsoft USA accepted the the access key, no problem. I have no idea what I would've done if they hadn't, but the cost was so low I took a chance.
    It is possible to switch languages anyway. You may have to download an additoinal language pack, but MS is very good with this. I am currently on a full german windows but have switched office to english. :)

Offline WRPursche

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: January 17, 2021, 06:43:31 am »
    Libre office can read any Word file directly, so if you have an older document (even .DOC) in which you had set up styles you like, once it is opened by LO then those styles are incorporated. Alternatively, you can manually tweak LO's existing styles to match their nearest Word equivalents. I go back and forth between programs all the time. (Though I've read, but have not yet experienced, that some formatting issues can result by doing this).

There are some oddities: for example, if you often use em dashes to set off part of a sentence, LO will properly put the first em dash in when you type two regular dashes together, but insists on keeping two regular dashes for the second instance, and this can't even be fixed with autocorrect.

For both ebook and print , it doesn't matter what styles you use, since you can define styles any way you want (or as needed to match publisher requirements, such as margins and gutters). What's important is to use the styles in the first place, and of course how 'clean' the html is during the ebook creation process.

Offline Douglas Milewski

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: January 18, 2021, 05:14:30 am »
    I've written twenty novels on Libreoffice.

Note that, beyond the basics, LibreOffice does things very differently from Word. There will be a learning and figuring out curve.

Minimize switching formats. LibreOffice may be compatible with office, but it's best practice to minimize translation between software. Weird stuff does creep in.

The best software is the software that works for you. Each system comes with advantages and flaws, so don't get in a twist about perfect.

Disclaimer: I sell horribly. Set your filters accordingly.

Offline Emily Watson

• View Profile
      • eBook Conversion Services Company
    « Reply #15 on: January 22, 2021, 03:51:54 am »
    My suggestion will be "WPS Office". It has all the features like Microsoft.

Offline C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: January 22, 2021, 08:41:14 am »
    I use GoogleDocs for writing and sharing, and Pages which came with my Mac for reviewing edits.

I write books about Change, Chaos, and Loki
    C. Gockel | Website

KBoards.com

• Advertisement