Kindle Forum banner

Findaway Voices audio analysis tool driving me crazy

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  ........ 
#1 ·
Looking for some help if anyone has advice.

I'm uploading completed audiobook files to Findaway Voices in anticipation of leaving exclusivity. My files pass the audio analysis check except for one thing - no closing silence detected. Each file is meant to have between 1 - 5 seconds of closing silence.

The files do have this though! I've checked and rechecked them. Have deleted silence and regenerated silence. Have looked at the files through every view that exists on Audacity and Adobe Audition. They 100% have closing silence within the duration.

I've reached out to Findaway Voices but am wondering if anyone else hit this barrier and knows a solution?

#2 ·
Are you generating silence (which ACX hates because it sounds unnatural), or, are you using room noise (your microphone on and recording, but nobody talking, which is what ACX wants)?

Also, if you are using Audacity and run into a problem, the best thing to do is post a sample on Audacity's forum. People with super-duper equipment will check it for you and tell you stuff that's wrong with it that you might not be able to see/hear (and they'll tell you how to fix it too).

https://forum.audacityteam.org/viewforum.php?f=46

#3 ·
MMSN said:
Are you generating silence (which ACX hates because it sounds unnatural), or, are you using room noise (your microphone on and recording, but nobody talking, which is what ACX wants)?

Also, if you are using Audacity and run into a problem, the best thing to do is post a sample on Audacity's forum. People with super-duper equipment will check it for you and tell you stuff that's wrong with it that you might not be able to see/hear (and they'll tell you how to fix it too).

https://forum.audacityteam.org/viewforum.php?f=46
I've actually done both because I suspect the audio analysis tool is new and twitchy. In fact, I kept fiddling with files and uploading while leaving two that had failed the check in place. Next round they passed it, without being changed. I've just uploaded more files and so I'll see if the passed files suddenly fail the checks. I hope not - I have ten audiobooks and like 270 files to upload and can't be fiddling with things being approved and then not for no reason.

#4 ·
Just for anyone following this who might think of going with Findaway Voices - they've suspended their audio analysis tool only a few days after launching it.

From my experience it appears it wasn't working properly. I actually had files rejected that were subsequently accepted without being changed.

Looks like they're back to manual checking for now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.