Author Topic: Part I: Farath Talam! (Welcome to our realm)--Chapters 1-11  (Read 6576 times)  

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
  • DH and me
    • View Profile
    • Origami Turtle's photostream
Re: Part I: Farath Talam! (Welcome to our realm)--Chapters 1-11
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2010, 07:32:01 am »
CHAPTER TEN:
How do the horses in Alterra compare with the portrayals of horses in other fantasy books? You'll see a lot of them throughout the series. I've noticed that many readers enjoy them, but that some do not! Which side of that fence do you come down on?
Similar to the horses in books that pay attention to the horses but more intelligent or crafty than most. Eros is especially intelligent, decisive, and independent.
CHAPTER ELEVEN:
Galador's tale is tragic, and it explains a lot about his attitude toward Nelwyn (and toward life in general). The belief that the souls of the Elves are forever separated from all mortal races has caused quite a lot of angst throughout this trilogy (in fact, it is responsible for much of the story, as you'll learn once you have completed Ravenshade). What is your reaction to this particular point of Alterran cosmology? Eventually, we will visit this question again.

Now that you have read Galador's story, has your opinion of him changed at all? How did you react to this revelation of his past?
I am not sure if the souls of the elves that have truly died are separated from the mortals. It may be that the separation is only for those elves who are not killed.

I am not sure if my opinion of Galador changed at this point the first time I read Elfhunter. Unfortunately I did not make a note at that time.

What happens to children of elves and humans? Gwynnyth died when she was seven months pregnant with their child. Where would the souls of the children go? Would they be separated from one or both parents? How would or should they choose who to fall in love with?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Chad Winters

• View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: April 05, 2010, 08:21:13 am »

CHAPTER FOUR-FIVE:
    1. Okay, so NOW we've met Gorgon. What is your impression of him now? What questions do you have about him?
    2. What do you think of the Elvish italics? Does it bother you?
    3. It is rare that anyone sways Gaelen's course, yet Orogond manages to strike a 'bargain' with her. Galador could never have accomplished this. What qualities does Orogond have that allow him to persuade Gaelen?

Quick note,
        I was reading on my Touch Kindle app in bed last night with the white text on black background and the italics were invisible. The text couldn't be read at all. When I reversed it to black on white it was ok, but that's too glaring for me so I swtiched to Kindle with booklight. Just to let you know in case you hear from some Touch only readers.  (or iPad now, I guess)
    « Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 08:26:12 am by Chad Winters (#102) »

Member since 10/28/2008 | (make your own reading bar)

Offline Archer

• Alterra
    • Author of Elfhunter, Fire-heart, Ravenshade
      • View Profile
      • www.elfhunter.net
    « Reply #27 on: April 05, 2010, 01:20:39 pm »
    Chad: Fascinating! I wonder whether ALL italics in all books do that. I can't imagine it's 'just me'.
    How annoying!

Thanks for letting me know.  :)
    NOW AVAILABLE FROM PARTHIAN PRESS

Offline ibrewalot

• Brookline, NH
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: April 06, 2010, 11:56:09 am »
    I'm shifting to the next set of chapters...12-15.  Anyone else game?

Offline crosj

• San Jose
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: April 06, 2010, 12:01:46 pm »
    I very much like the italics. 
    Sing like no one is listening and dance like no one is watching.

Offline ibrewalot

• Brookline, NH
      • View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: April 06, 2010, 12:11:48 pm »
    I very much like the italics. 

Seconded...

Offline crosj

• San Jose
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: April 06, 2010, 03:48:32 pm »
    I also very much like the book!!!!! 
    Sing like no one is listening and dance like no one is watching.

Offline Archer

• Alterra
      • View Profile
      • www.elfhunter.net
    « Reply #32 on: April 06, 2010, 05:03:28 pm »
    I also very much like the book!!!!! 

That is a writer's favorite song!

Perhaps you can win a hard copy for your very own.
    I've got a few to give away again.  :)

Offline Winter9

• Norway
    • Books read on Kindle 2015: 4
      • View Profile
      • Winters verden av e-boklesere og bker
    « Reply #33 on: April 07, 2010, 01:37:04 am »
    Now I have finally started! So far so good :D Just barely started though. I'm a little bit scared of reading spoilers before I have finished chapter 11, but I guess I will be okay. This is so fun! I finished Into the Wild for april reading game yesterday, I so much recommend (both the book and game) to paticipate!! And when I finished that one I could jump straight over to Elfhunter   :D Life is good  ;D
    Proud Kindle-owner since 2.February 2010 (15.22)
    Add me on goodreads: Winter9
    Recommended: Michael R. Hicks In Her Name
    Reading now:
    Michael R.Hicks - The Legend of The Sword
    C.S.Marks - Elfhunter
    J.R.R. Tolkien - The Lord of The Rings
    Jacob Abbott - Xerxes , Makers of History

Offline Winter9

• Norway
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: April 10, 2010, 12:31:17 pm »
    They are into the mountain now. 20% into the book :D I'm exited to see what happens next. Your writing style is just so smooth! 

Reading now:
    C.S.Marks - Elfhunter

Offline Carmyn

• the mapmaker
      • View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: April 10, 2010, 03:42:26 pm »
    CHAPTER FOUR-FIVE:

I like it.  It is an easy way to show that they are talking in Elvish, also indicating that many of the other characters present cannot understand them. 

CHAPTER SEVEN-EIGHT:
    1. Here we see the goings-on in the Greatwood. What is your impression of Llewellys' attachment to Gaelen? Do you see him as a future threat or as a future friend to Orogond?

I see Llewellys as having a very strong crush on Gaelen.  He does love her, and she also loves him, but only as a friend.  I see where this could be a problem until he actually matures more emotionally.  He is still very young for an elf.

2. Why do the Elves not approve of romantic attachments between themselves and mortal men?

Well, I am sure there are many that feel they are too good for humans, but it is deeper than that.  Even though elves live a long time, they only get one chance at finding a true soul mate.  This is the person they will be able to truly bond with, and can produce offspring with.  This is something very special.  Also, they would prefer to keep the elf blood pure, I assume.  Also, since humans live such a short time, the elf most likely would live for a very long time without the one they love, and could live for many years in sorrow.   

3. Ri-Aruin obviously does not approve of Llewellys' attachment to Gaelen. Why not, do you think?

I think his main problem with her is that she is so...well, rough.  She is a free soul and does not act like he thinks the mate of his son, who will be king, should act like.  She is very independent, blunt, and wild. 

CHAPTER TEN:

How do the horses in Alterra compare with the portrayals of horses in other fantasy books? You'll see a lot of them throughout the series. I've noticed that many readers enjoy them, but that some do not! Which side of that fence do you come down on?

I really like the horse of Alterra.  They act like, well, horses.  They are not magical.  They don't fly.  They are just horses.  I spend a lot of time around horses and I can usually think of at least one horse I know who behaves like the horses of Alterra.   

Carmyn, the mapmaker.

Offline Archer

• Alterra
      • View Profile
      • www.elfhunter.net
    « Reply #36 on: April 11, 2010, 06:58:35 pm »
    Hey Carmyn! Know what? You're pretty smart! Know what else? You draw GREAT maps!!

Offline Winter9

• Norway
      • View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: April 12, 2010, 09:37:05 am »

Part one: Introducing the World and the Characters! Chapters 1-11

CHAPTER ONE:
    1. What is your initial impression of Gaelen and Nelwyn? What differences do you see between them?

Gaelen never follows the rules. She is strong and independent. She has this urge in her body, she just can't follow the stream. Nelwyn are wise and sweet. I think she stands out in her sweetness, but still she seldom breaks laws , or unspoken laws. But that's just how I see them of course!

2. We really haven't 'met' Gorgon yet, but what is your initial impression of him? What sort of creature do you visualize in chapter one?

A little bit to late for that now. I'm 28% into it.

CHAPTER TWO-THREE:

2. You have now 'met' the four main protagonist characters. At this point, what four adjectives would you use to best describe each one?
    Gaelen - independent
    Orogond -
    Nelwyn - careful
    Galador - deep

CHAPTER FOUR-FIVE:
    1. Okay, so NOW we've met Gorgon. What is your impression of him now? What questions do you have about him?
    I feel like he maybe has a tragic story behind him that not justify, but explains the way he treats Elves.
    No! I like it!

CHAPTER SIX:
    1. What is the first sign that Galador might actually have a sense of humor?
    Wow hehe I don't quite remember...

CHAPTER SEVEN-EIGHT:
    1. Here we see the goings-on in the Greatwood. What is your impression of Llewellys' attachment to Gaelen? Do you see him as a future threat or as a future friend to Orogond?
    Definitely not a future friend if his feelings for her doesn't change. Maybe the two "men" will find a way to cooperate if that is needed, but they won't love it...
    2. Why do the Elves not approve of romantic attachments between themselves and mortal men?
    I think it's mainly two reasons. One of them beeing that they want to keep their blood pure, the other the high lifeage difference which can cause great sorrow.
    3. Ri-Aruin obviously does not approve of Llewellys' attachment to Gaelen. Why not, do you think?
    Mainly I think it is how she is independent and too strong for him. But he may cover that in an explanation of status difference.

CHAPTER NINE:
    1. If you were lost in a mountain blizzard, which of the characters would you prefer to have as a companion?
    As Gaelen and me would never agree on anything, being to much alike, I would prefer Galador for deep conversations  and sharing of grief.
    2. Do you identify with any of the characters you've met so far? If so, in what way?
    Yeah, Gaelen and I is very much alike. Never do what people expect us to. Galador has great sorrows. I think I am a combination of the two of them.
    3. We've seen a few small examples of 'magical' objects in Alterra, including the blue lamps and Orogond's ring. Do you find these examples plausible, or do they force you to 'suspend belief'?
    Huh? I like magic, is that what the question means ?

CHAPTER TEN:

I like the horses. Animals have great spirit. I have actually heard of horses pretending to limb (right word?)! It's obvious that you love horses, and that makes them more believeable!

CHAPTER ELEVEN:

Galador's tale is tragic, and it explains a lot about his attitude toward Nelwyn (and toward life in general). The belief that the souls of the Elves are forever separated from all mortal races has caused quite a lot of angst throughout this trilogy (in fact, it is responsible for much of the story, as you'll learn once you have completed Ravenshade). What is your reaction to this particular point of Alterran cosmology? Eventually, we will visit this question again.

Now that you have read Galador's story, has your opinion of him changed at all? How did you react to this revelation of his past?

I love that story! It gives the whole book another dimension and gives it lots of soul! When I read it I could very much relate to him, feeling his grief. I'm curious how it will evolve!

I just answered the questions I felt I could :)

« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 12:32:32 pm by Winter9 »
    Reading now:
    C.S.Marks - Elfhunter

Offline Archer

• Alterra
      • View Profile
      • www.elfhunter.net
    « Reply #38 on: April 12, 2010, 10:59:01 am »
    Winter: All of your answers made perfect sense. Remember that the questions are just there to stimulate discussion--you don't have to answer any of them, and you can feel free to pose questions of your own to the group! (I hope you do.)  :)

Galador's plight may be appreciated by anyone who has dealt with profound grief and loss--anyone who has had everything taken away from them through no fault of their own. Galador spent much of his life wishing he were human--only after Nelwyn walks into his life is he happy to be an Elf again.

I'm glad she came into his life.  :)

Offline Winter9

• Norway
      • View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: April 13, 2010, 02:10:27 am »
    I'm too, although she is sick right now so... ;)

Reading now:
    C.S.Marks - Elfhunter

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
    • Member 2434
      • View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: June 15, 2010, 12:52:50 pm »
    CHAPTER ONE:
    1. What is your initial impression of Gaelen and Nelwyn? What differences do you see between them?
    Gaelen is spontaneous and older.  Nelwyn is careful and responsible and caring.
    2. We really haven't 'met' Gorgon yet, but what is your initial impression of him? What sort of creature do you visualize in chapter one? Something powerful and vicious

CHAPTER TWO-THREE:
    1. Do you believe that Gaelen really had anything to do with saving Orogond's life? Do you believe he would have survived without her? Yes
    2. You have now 'met' the four main protagonist characters. At this point, what four adjectives would you use to best describe each one?
    Gaelen    impulsive
    Orogond  trusty
    Nelwyn    thoughtful
    Galador   reliable

CHAPTER FOUR-FIVE:
    1. Okay, so NOW we've met Gorgon. What is your impression of him now? What questions do you have about him?I don't like him
    2. What do you think of the Elvish italics? Does it bother you? I never had a problem with this. Some authors have used this method to convey when telepathy is being used.
    3. It is rare that anyone sways Gaelen's course, yet Orogond manages to strike a 'bargain' with her. Galador could never have accomplished this. What qualities does Orogond have that allow him to persuade Gaelen? Ooops - not done - will come back to this

CHAPTER SIX:
    1. What is the first sign that Galador might actually have a sense of humor?
    2. Ulfar, though disgusting, might be of some economic use. Can you think of products that might be sold by 'Ulfar Unlimited'?

CHAPTER SEVEN-EIGHT:
    4. Gaelen's attitude toward her hair is obviously very different from Galador's. What does it say about each of them?

CHAPTER NINE:
    1. If you were lost in a mountain blizzard, which of the characters would you prefer to have as a companion?
    2. Do you identify with any of the characters you've met so far? If so, in what way?
    3. We've seen a few small examples of 'magical' objects in Alterra, including the blue lamps and Orogond's ring. Do you find these examples plausible, or do they force you to 'suspend belief'?

CHAPTER TEN:

CHAPTER ELEVEN:

Miss you, Dona, Jeff & Harvey! | Member since 02/27/2009 | e-books by Lynn Abbey, CJ Cherryh, & Jane Fancher
    TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement