Kindle Forum banner

New Word Game--the UNscrabble Alterran Scrabble Game...

18K views 96 replies 7 participants last post by  Winter9 
#1 ·
OKAY--we tried to play Scrabble but without a board it was difficult. Despite Brew's best efforts in sending us Scrabble boards, the multi-dimensional concept was just too daunting. SO...there's a new game afoot!

Suppose I start off with a word: 'ALTERRA'. The last three letters (RRA) must appear in the next word. Suppose Brew responds with 'ARRAH!' (An expression of disgust.) He gets credit for the word, plus five bonus points because the letters appear in the same order. I might also give a couple for obscurity on that one. The next player (whoever responds first) will come up with a new word containing the letters 'RAH'. They do NOT have to be in the same order. Example: Say Winter comes back with 'HATTERAS' (from Fire-heart). She gets credit for the word, plus five for a character name, but no bonus for 'order' because the letters are not in the same order. The next player must use the letters 'RAS'--perhaps 'SALASTOR' from 'Ravenshade' would fill that one. Five extra for character name. Next word must use 'TOR' and so on.

You will receive points for obscurity and relevance in Alterra. Character and place names are allowed and get FIVE bonus points each.

Words must appear in one of the three books.

I am 'she who decides extra points for obscurity and relevance'.

The first word is 'FARAHIN'.
First player must therefore provide a word including letters 'HIN'--bonus for character/place name and for letters in same order.

Let the game begin!!  :D

See less See more
#4 ·
Free space can be used for any letter!  :)

'Gain' is undoubtedly in the books. Free space is still open! Brewie gets six points for 'Gain'

New tiles are: H, F, W, T, A, E, L
(Next player can use the free space, but will have to incorporate one of Brew's letters, too. (G, A, I, or N)

Remember...character and place names get extra points!

#5 ·
archer said:
Free space can be used for any letter! :)

'Gain' is undoubtedly in the books. Free space is still open! Brewie gets six points for 'Gain'

New tiles are: H, F, W, T, A, E, L
(Next player can use the free space, but will have to incorporate one of Brew's letters, too. (G, A, I, or N)

Remember...character and place names get extra points!
Okay -- let's do E L A N I with the N being the free space and the I from Gain.

#7 ·
Hey Archer -- you are gonna have to 'splain your scorin' to us dear.  ??? ::)

And do I gotta wait till someone else plays before I kin play again?

#10 ·
ibrewalot said:
Tip, I'm guessing it is 1 point for each of e, a and i and 2 points for L. No points for the N since it is free space (blank tile gets no points).
Actually I was looking at 1 point each for e, l, a, and i , no points for n. Total 4 points (I guess it doesn't qualify for the 5 bonus points for being a character though :( )

But I was also looking at G=2, A=1, I=1 and N=1 and trying to figger out how that got to be 6?

And, the MAIN reason -- I also was poking at Archer because, well, because its FUN! ;D (ohhh, bet that's gonna cost me points!!)

But then again she did say "I am 'she who decides extra points for obscurity and relevance'. " so maybe's we both got bonus points!! ;D

#11 ·
archer said:
New letters:

T,W,F,H,A,O,K

Tipperoo gets 5 points for 'Elani'. You will need to incorporate one of his letters in the next word. :)
Okay -- to get back on track I'll offer up:

AWOKE -- working off the E in Elani

#12 ·
A few points to remember:
1. Archer is mathematically challenged.
2. Anyone can play any time and one does not have to wait one's turn.
3. Once in a while I'll have a double word score or triple word or letter score.
4. This game is a lot like 'Fizzbin'--especially when it's dark on Tuesday!

#14 ·
T,F,H,E,I,N aaaaannnnd K!

(Remember that you must incorporate a letter from one of the previous words--not necessarily the most recent one)
I'm making a makeshift 'board' on paper so I can keep track.

'Elani' is a general term referring to Elves--perhaps we should include ALL proper names as bonus words!
Okay, Mr. Tips--you've got your 5-point bonus!

#16 ·
Okay...now that I have a board, I can state that Tip's 'AWOKE gets him a bunch of points!
The 'W' is a double letter score which means it's worth 8 by itself. Add the rest and you get 8 more=16 points!

Brew, not to be outdone, put his K on a double word score. (Gasp!) Plus, he gets 5 big ones for the proper name! I calculate twenty-one points for 'Kino'.

T, F, H, E, M, A, and O

#17 ·
archer said:
Okay...now that I have a board, I can state that Tip's 'AWOKE gets him a bunch of points!
The 'W' is a double letter score which means it's worth 8 by itself. Add the rest and you get 8 more=16 points!

Brew, not to be outdone, put his K on a double word score. (Gasp!) Plus, he gets 5 big ones for the proper name! I calculate twenty-one points for 'Kino'.

T, F, H, E, M, A, and O
Okay then I'll have to jump on the I in KINO with our wonderful Loremaster FIMA

#20 ·
Ahhh, but your 'R' is on a double-letter score, as is your 'T'. So you get...eight points plus five for proper name. That's thirteen?
Not too shabby.

New letters are: B, H, O, D, E, U, I

(ewww! What a motely assortment!) See what you can do...

#21 ·
archer said:
Ahhh, but your 'R' is on a double-letter score, as is your 'T'. So you get...eight points plus five for proper name. That's thirteen?
Not too shabby.

New letters are: B, H, O, D, E, U, I

(ewww! What a motely assortment!) See what you can do...
This is really difficult without a board....

Okay working off of the first A in Realta lets go with ABODE as in the "abode of Mikla, the poisoner."

#22 ·
Tip, I have the words played so far just written in a grid to keep track of where they are.  Given that, I think the "o" in abode will end up right in front of gain creating "ogain".  Is that what you have down, Archer?  I need to transfer them to the board I sent Archer, but haven't printed it off yet.  If you want to PM me your email I'll send it your direction too.

#23 ·
GAAAH! Archer has the flu! Hit me like a freight train last night. I'm pretty wobbly today, and I'm not going in to school. However, I did bring my scrabble board.

Brew, I think you're right! Let's send Tip a board so he can visualize. I had trouble, too, which is why I started a grid. But the board is so much fun because of the double-letter scores and such. ABODE would be a pretty good word...I think Tip can fit it in elsewhere!

#24 ·
He sent me one but it'll be real late tonight before I can get some time to do anything with it. 

BUT, since we seemed to run everything upwards from the original GAIN perhaps ABODE will work going down from that A?

#25 ·
Sorry to hear you're under the weather, Archer...perhaps some tea with honey is in order?  Hope you're better soon!

I tried to transfer all the words over to the board but need to know where you started the first word (gain).  Also, the board I sent didn't have a legend and I don't have a real board to look at for comparison (at work).  What are you using for each color?

Red
Light Red
Blue
Light Blue

#26 ·
Hey Archer -- just wanted you to know that there I already have three books queued up to be delivered to my K3 WIFI when it arrives tomorrow and I connect it to my network. 

Care to take a guess on which three??  ::)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.