Kindle Forum banner

New Word Game--the UNscrabble Alterran Scrabble Game...

18K views 96 replies 7 participants last post by  Winter9 
#1 ·
OKAY--we tried to play Scrabble but without a board it was difficult. Despite Brew's best efforts in sending us Scrabble boards, the multi-dimensional concept was just too daunting. SO...there's a new game afoot!

Suppose I start off with a word: 'ALTERRA'. The last three letters (RRA) must appear in the next word. Suppose Brew responds with 'ARRAH!' (An expression of disgust.) He gets credit for the word, plus five bonus points because the letters appear in the same order. I might also give a couple for obscurity on that one. The next player (whoever responds first) will come up with a new word containing the letters 'RAH'. They do NOT have to be in the same order. Example: Say Winter comes back with 'HATTERAS' (from Fire-heart). She gets credit for the word, plus five for a character name, but no bonus for 'order' because the letters are not in the same order. The next player must use the letters 'RAS'--perhaps 'SALASTOR' from 'Ravenshade' would fill that one. Five extra for character name. Next word must use 'TOR' and so on.

You will receive points for obscurity and relevance in Alterra. Character and place names are allowed and get FIVE bonus points each.

Words must appear in one of the three books.

I am 'she who decides extra points for obscurity and relevance'.

The first word is 'FARAHIN'.
First player must therefore provide a word including letters 'HIN'--bonus for character/place name and for letters in same order.

Let the game begin!!  :D

See less See more
#30 ·
OKAY--we tried to play Scrabble but without a board it was difficult. Despite Brew's best efforts in sending us Scrabble boards, the multi-dimensional concept was just too daunting. SO...there's a new game afoot!

Suppose I start off with a word: 'ALTERRA'. The last three letters (RRA) must appear in the next word. Suppose Brew responds with 'ARRAH!' (An expression of disgust.) He gets credit for the word, plus five bonus points because the letters appear in the same order. I might also give a couple for obscurity on that one. The next player (whoever responds first) will come up with a new word containing the letters 'RAH'. They do NOT have to be in the same order. Example: Say Winter comes back with 'HATTERAS' (from Fire-heart). She gets credit for the word, plus five for a character name, but no bonus for 'order' because the letters are not in the same order. The next player must use the letters 'RAS'--perhaps 'SALASTOR' from 'Ravenshade' would fill that one. Five extra for character name. Next word must use 'TOR' and so on.

LET THE GAME BEGIN!

Here's your first word:

'FARAHIN'

First player must use letters 'HIN'. Bonus for character/place names and for getting letters in same order.

#32 ·
ibrewalot said:
(You do know "hin" by itself is the word for "Rain", yes? 8))

I'll start with Cos-domhain...not in the same order, but first outta the chute is always a challenge.
So if I understand correctly the lette3rs are AIN

So, I'll go with AINCOR.

#34 ·
Archer (the Paladin) said:
Looks like COR are the next three. Good luck!
:)
Jump start time again!!

Okay we'll toss up Orogond and Galador's pack horse Cronan -- not in order but the right letters C O R.

That would make the next set be N A N

#35 ·
Ok, I'm going to play Finan and suggest a rule change...Finan keeps the same last letters "nan", right?

What if we changed the rules of the game to be the next player has to use "any" three letters in the previous name? It would make the ball roll faster, no? Too fast? It would prevent the same letters going turn over turn tho. I'll shutup now. :-X

#36 ·
ibrewalot said:
Ok, I'm going to play Finan and suggest a rule change...Finan keeps the same last letters "nan", right?

What if we changed the rules of the game to be the next player has to use "any" three letters in the previous name? It would make the ball roll faster, no? Too fast? It would prevent the same letters going turn over turn tho. I'll shutup now. :-X
Hey Brew -- how bout we morph it so that any three letters are fair game so long as they appear in order?

For example, I'd take the F I N and offer up Faladinn -- containing F I N in that order (but not required to be adjacent). Otherwise, I'll still offer it up since it contains NAN just not in order. :) :)

We'll have to wait till Archer gets done playing with the fine young lasses at the Woods and comes to visit again.
Ah yes, the memories of playing with the fine young lasses of the Woods! :D (I went to an all male (at the time) college not far from the Woods and we certainly enjoyed playing with the fine young lasses of the Woods!!) ;D

#37 ·
TIP! (ahem!)

(I'm sure they enjoyed playing with you, too. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.)

Take this game and morph it! The faster the ball rolls, the better. And I say, just play--don't worry about order or points (though the really obscure will deserve special mention). After all, Elves just wanna have fun!

#39 ·
ibrewalot said:
Hmmm, I want to see video of the Wood Nymphs! ;D

I'm going with Tip's new rules...using "LAD" and submitting: Alamand
Okay I'll go with LAM and put forth Farath-talam and give us lots of letters to work with.

#42 ·
Archer (the Paladin) said:
May I play, too? :)

If I may, I'll go with FALadinn

Sure but you also need to follow the morphed rules Archer (puhlease don't pick up your game and go home, dear one! :p ) -- pick 3 letters in a row from the last word and use them in the new one in order....

Finan -- FIN -- Faladinn
Faladinn -- LAD -- Alamand
Alamand -- LAM -- Farath-talam

So, for example, one could offer up

Farath-talam -- ALA -- Alduinar

Okay -- have at it! :D

Alduinar is in play.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.