Poll

Do you want Amazon to support custom screensavers?

Yes! I want my own images!
375 (84.8%)
No. I like the default images provided by Amazon.
10 (2.3%)
Don't care either way...
57 (12.9%)

Total Members Voted: 440

Author Topic: POLL: Do you want Amazon to support custom screensavers?  (Read 9689 times)  

Offline 911jason

• Simi Valley, CA
    • View Profile
    • Kindle Screensavers
POLL: Do you want Amazon to support custom screensavers?
« on: August 31, 2010, 01:16:10 pm »
So, I'm thinking if we can get a significant number of votes here, I'll try to write a letter to Jeff Bezos and beg for support. Please vote. Suggestions for drafts of the letter are welcome. Also feel free to suggest other voting options.

Personally, my 1st choice would be a user-accessible folder on the Kindle that I could put images in to be used as screensavers.

My 2nd choice would be an "app" of some sort, even for a fee, that would allow me to control my screensavers.

My last choice, if Amazon is intent on not allowing user-created images as screensavers, would be to allow Kindle users to choose from a list of available screensavers. Checkboxes or something similar, so I can just quit seeing the images I don't like.

What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 07:51:22 pm by 911jason »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline auntmarge

• New Jersey
      • View Profile
    Re: Do you want Amazon to support custom screensavers?
    « Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 01:18:08 pm »
    Funny you should ask.  My 10-yr old niece (who is getting a K3 from Santa but doesn't know it yet) tried out my K3 today and wants one so, so badly.  But one of the first things she asked is if she can have her own screensavers.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 01:21:50 pm »
    Jason. . . . gotta say your poll isn't very objective. . . . . . ::)

No. I like the creepy pics of dead authors.

How about  "No. I'm fine with the stock images supplied" or "No, I like the stock images supplied."

::)  ;D
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline 911jason

• Simi Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • Kindle Screensavers
    « Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 01:27:04 pm »
    Jason. . . . gotta say your poll isn't very objective. . . . . . ::)

How about  "No. I'm fine with the stock images supplied" or "No, I like the stock images supplied."

::)  ;D

Fine!

Offline auntmarge

• New Jersey
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 01:30:25 pm »
    Awww - what was wrong with "creepy"? 

Offline cc84

• UK
    • My fab Noah ♥
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 01:31:50 pm »
    I voted i dont care either way.
    What will I be doing in twenty years' time? I'll be dead, darling! Are you crazy? - When I'm dead, I want to be remembered as a musician of some worth and substance. - The reason we're successful, darling? My overall charisma, of course. - The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs. - Money may not buy happiness, but it can damn well give it! - I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me. - I dress to kill, but tastefully - I won't be a rock star. I will be a legend.

Quotes by the amazing Freddie Mercury ♥

Offline Jasonmh

• New Mexico
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 01:35:33 pm »
    A lot of people like to customize their devices to make them feel more personal.  To me a custom screensaver option is a great way to do it, and is expected now on many electronic devices.  Seems strange to me that I can set a screen saver on my remote control at home, but not the kindle.  Anyone who doesn't want custom screen savers can stick with the default ones it comes with and everyone wins :)
    With such an easy thing to do, and how many people have been asking for it, seems like a no brainer to me.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 01:37:37 pm »
    I don't find anything "creepy" about the screensavers. What exactly makes them creepy, that the people happen to be dead? I'd be creeped out if they were still alive.

Really though, I never had any issues with the screensavers, I only see them a second to wake up the K so I can read.

I had never known what some of those authors looked like or presumed to look like so I find them nice. They can't help it that they dead  ;D

Offline thetonyclifton

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 01:38:39 pm »
    Without a doubt yes - i can think of no reason why we should not have such a simple option - which, given how the screensavers are used, plays such a high visibility role in kindle life.

Offline babyd

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 01:39:34 pm »
    I too would love to see this implemented by Amazon, it seems crazy that its not an option already.  At the very least we should be able to choose which of the stock images are used, so we can use a favourite.  But adding our own ones would be my preference.
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kindle 3 3G+WiFi graphite

Sony 600 black
    Sony 505 silver & red

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 01:40:24 pm »
    Fine!

;D  Thank you!  ;D

FWIW, I voted that I don't care. . .though, realistically, I'd probably not bother with custom pictures even if they were available free and fully supported by Amazon.  It's not that I particularly LIKE all of the standard ones. . . .I just. . . . . .don't care!  ::)  :D
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
    • Member 2434
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 01:54:19 pm »
    I want the artwork that I have selected.

Not sure I will get a K3 unless I am sure that I can do that.

I had gone for over a year with the K2 standard fonts and pics.

But now I don't want to go back.

Just sayin.....

Miss you, Dona, Jeff & Harvey! | Member since 02/27/2009 | e-books by Lynn Abbey, CJ Cherryh, & Jane Fancher
    TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

Offline BTackitt

• Texas, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 02:00:11 pm »
    With over 2000 screensavers made, I am  :o you even have to ask!  ::)  ;D

(yes I voted.)
    "If man has no tea in him, he is incapable of understanding truth and beauty." ~Japanese Proverb
    Screensaver Images: http://s684.photobucket.com/home/B_Tackitt/index

Offline kimbertay

• Indianapolis, IN
    • My Grandson
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 02:10:56 pm »
    I would LOVE LOVE LOVE it if we had the option of adding our own (without a hack).  Those that like the default ones could still keep the (creepy) dead authors if they like also. Win Win  ;D
    Earn points toward Amazon gift cards.  Free and easy way to gets books for Kindle!

Offline DarbyFett

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 02:26:55 pm »
    I don't have my Kindle yet, so I don't know if it would really bother me. Though it may be cool if the screensaver was the cover of the book you were reading last.

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: August 31, 2010, 02:28:59 pm »
    I think at the very least we should be able to choose which ones of the provided pictures we use. Maybe they could put up a whole list on the website of approved pics for us to choose from, with an app on the Kindle to get them onto it. They keep pushing the fact that you don't need a computer to use a Kindle and so I don't think they'll go with anything that requires you to hook it up to a PC.

As much as I'd like it, I'll be surprised if they allow people to put anything they like on - it probably has something to do with both copyright and their wanting to control the 'image' of the Kindle.

Linda

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: August 31, 2010, 02:29:53 pm »
    I don't have my Kindle yet, so I don't know if it would really bother me. Though it may be cool if the screensaver was the cover of the book you were reading last.

I think there are a lot of us that would hate that - the one thing about reading a Kindle in public is that no-one can tell what book you're reading!

Linda

Offline originalgrissel

• Kindlephile-Crochetphile
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: August 31, 2010, 03:05:27 pm »
    The fact that the Kindle's closest competition (the Nook) does allow consumers to customize the screensavers may not be a deal breaker for many people, but it may make them lean less toward Kindle and more toward a product that is giving consumers more "choices". Being able to make something personalized, allowing users to make an item more "theirs" is always going to be something that consumers want. It's only in Amazon's best interest to add this feature to either a future software update for all Kindle devices or to the next generation Kindle device that may be in development soon. Personally I would love to see customizable screensavers as a software update that could be applied to all generations of Kindle & Kindle DX and I think it would go along way toward making a lot of current & future Kindlers very happy!!!! ;D 
    ~Kristie~

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx~

Offline Neekeebee

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: August 31, 2010, 03:08:32 pm »

I agree, but as mentioned above, not everyone would want that with every book they are reading.  (I wouldn't like that with the Kindle books that come with generic covers, for example.)  I think it should be an option.  If you see a cover you like, you should be able to click on an option to make that the default screensaver (until it is changed) or to add it to a repertoire of screensavers.

I think there will be an app soon...

N :)

Offline ZsuZsu

• View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: August 31, 2010, 03:15:01 pm »
    I'm with Ann- I just don't care at all!  I actually kind of enjoy opening my kindle cover and seeing Ralph Ellison enocouraging me to read, or Emily Dickinson kind of IMPLORING me to read....
    I see them for a brief moment as I was up my Kindle and them promptly forget about them- I'd probably never spend the energy customizing the sleep images even if it was offerred....

Offline Dazlyn

• Vancouver, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: August 31, 2010, 03:17:36 pm »
    I think it would be great if we could use our own screensavers.  Most of us personalize our kindles with skins, covers, etc so screensavers would be another great way to do that.  I remember on the original kindle that the skins from Decalgirl came with a matching screensaver.

Offline Thalia the Muse

• View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: August 31, 2010, 03:18:59 pm »
    I like the existing screensavers, especially the sealife and the illuminated manuscript -- but sure, it would be fun to add my own! I'd like Rudyard Kipling's illustration for The Cat Who Walked by Himself, for a start.

Offline BruceS

• Albany, NY
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: August 31, 2010, 03:19:57 pm »
    Even if Amazon doesn't want us to be able to use our own images, it would be nice if we could just prevent our Kindle from using some of the default images.

Offline tschucha

• View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: August 31, 2010, 03:42:22 pm »
    I haven't received it yet but I have ordered and am looking forward to my first Kindle.  I'm actually shocked that this isn't a standard feature.  Of course you should be able to customize the screensaver.  They don't tell you what books you can put on it do they?  Why should they tell you what gets displayed when the power is off.

Offline NitroStitch

• Florida
      • View Profile
      • Nitrostitch's Smugmug Pages
    « Reply #24 on: August 31, 2010, 04:05:05 pm »
    So, I'm thinking if we can get a significant number of votes here, I'll try to write a letter to Jeff Bezos and beg for support. Please vote. Suggestions for drafts of the letter are welcome. Also feel free to suggest other voting options.

Personally, my 1st choice would be a user-accessible folder on the Kindle that I could put images in to be used as screensavers.

My 2nd choice would be an "app" of some sort, even for a fee, that would allow me to control my screensavers.

My last choice, if Amazon is intent on not allowing user-created images as screensavers, would be to allow Kindle users to choose from a list of available screensavers. Checkboxes or something similar, so I can just quit seeing the images I don't like.

What do you guys think?

I couldn't possibly put it better than you already did.  Your choice of preferences and even the checkboxes to eliminate the unwanted images are perfect suggestions and give options to Jeff Bezos, if he entertains the idea. 
    Why does life interfere with reading?!  :0)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement