Author Topic: Amazon Kindle, 3rd Generation: FAQ plus shortcuts and tricks  (Read 56579 times)  

Offline NogDog

• View Profile
Re: K3 FAQ plus shortcuts and tricks
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2010, 02:00:43 pm »
I noticed that the K3's Home screen sorting algorithm has changed a bit. As I posted on my KindleMinds.net blog today:

I have noticed on my new Kindle 3 WiFi  that the sorting algorithm for book titles  has changed. The good news it that it now ignores leading articles (a, an, the) when sorting. The not-really-bad news is that it also ignores leading punctuation. Most of the time this is a good thing, but it messed up the way my collections sorted, as I had named them all with a leading period (full stop for our British friends) so that they would sort to the top when the Home page was sorted by title.

The work-around was simple, if not quite as esthetically pleasing. I changed the collection names to begin with a 0″ (zero) and a space. Now my collections sort to the top again, and life is good.

PS: I just checked, and the hyphen and tilde characters work just fine to make my collections sort to the top, so I suspect it's only things like period and comma which are ignored -- but I have not tried them all.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 04:23:51 pm by NogDog »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline NogDog

• View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: September 17, 2010, 09:22:27 am »
    To view detailed WiFi information on your K3, got to Home -> Menu -> Settings, then type 711 (Alt-U Alt-Q Alt-Q), which will bring up the "711" screen with a bunch of data.

Offline anguish79

• View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: September 18, 2010, 08:14:39 am »
    To view detailed WiFi information on your K3, got to Home -> Menu -> Settings, then type 711 (Alt-U Alt-Q Alt-Q), which will bring up the "711" screen with a bunch of data.

Related to this, 411 (Alt-R, Alt-Q, Alt-Q) brings up a status page that looks like it has to do with the connection to Amazon.  611 (Alt-Y, Alt-Q, Alt-Q) also brings up a page, but it's completely blank.

EDIT:  I noticed in Jaffa's page that these are listed.  611 is blank because I only have the wifi version.  The more you know.. :)
    « Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 08:21:40 am by anguish79 »

Offline Roger Knights

• View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: September 18, 2010, 09:45:06 pm »
    Hi folks

I've put up a list of K3-specific keyboard shortcuts and some other tips at http://bit.ly/k3shortcuts.
    However, "http://bit.ly/k3shortcuts" does not show up in Article Mode on the Kindle's browser. Its line is omitted. Nor does it show up in the similar "Readability" plug-in on the Firefox browser. I suspect this is because the text is indented three levels down, on its own bullet point. De-indenting it should be attempted, to see if it fixes this flaw.

Edit: Typo in the first line under the Searching heading:
    Change "to from" to "from"

Under "General," are both the 5th and 9th bulleted items needed? (They both reference "Kindle store," but #9 adds the words "shop in".)
    « Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 10:18:31 pm by Roger Knights »

Offline Jaffa

• View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: September 18, 2010, 10:53:16 pm »
    However, "http://bit.ly/k3shortcuts" does not show up in Article Mode on the Kindle's browser. Its line is omitted. Nor does it show up in the similar "Readability" plug-in on the Firefox browser. I suspect this is because the text is indented three levels down, on its own bullet point. De-indenting it should be attempted, to see if it fixes this flaw.

Hi Roger. I'm not having a problem with Readability (which I use all the time in Firefox). It won't work from my home page, but that's normal. The post at http://bit.ly/k3shortcuts works fine, however.

Article mode in the K3 browser is also working for me. I was at one stage having a general K3 browser problem where I got frequent 'Web browser cannot display this web page' messages; article mode wasn't working for any site. A restart fixed that, so I assume it was a low memory thing.

Edit: Typo in the first line under the Searching heading:
    Change "to from" to "from"

Under "General," are both the 5th and 9th bulleted items needed? (They both reference "Kindle store," but #9 adds the words "shop in".)

Aaarrgghh. Many thanks for pointing out the typos. I'll fix them.

Offline Jaffa

• View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: September 19, 2010, 08:54:36 am »
    However, "http://bit.ly/k3shortcuts" ...
    Roger: I have, I hope, fixed the typos; I also added a note about using Alt+Shift+H for screenshots (thanks to Little Professor for pointing out that one - it seems to work and is better than Alt+Shift+G because it's too easy to do an Alt+G by mistake); also added notes on the various file formats used by the Kindle.

Offline Roger Knights

• View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: September 19, 2010, 11:44:59 am »
    Hi Roger. I'm not having a problem with Readability (which I use all the time in Firefox). It won't work from my home page, but that's normal. The post at http://bit.ly/k3shortcuts works fine, however. Article mode in the K3 browser is also working for me.
    I haven't got my point across. When I click on the live link on this site http://bit.ly/k3shortcuts I obtain your article containing the following two lines:
    Type in the following short URL and press <Enter> (use Sym to select the / and the 3″)
        * bit.ly/k3shortcuts
    However, when I click on Readability, the second line fails to appear. Likewise when I visit the site on my Kindle and click on Article mode, the second line fails to appear. Try it and see.

BTW, here's one more minor copy-edit suggestion: insert the boldfaced material:
    "(use Sym to select the ":", the /, and the 3″)"

Offline Robin

• Charlotte, NC
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: September 22, 2010, 06:19:15 am »
    On the MobileRead forum (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94129) isotherm and others pointed out that the K2 trick to decrease margins works on the K3. I can confirm that it works on my K3. To decrease the margins on the K3 follow these steps:

Step (1): If using Windows be sure to set Folder Options to Show hidden files, folders, and drives and uncheck the Hide unprotected system files option.

Step (2): Close all books and go to the K3 Home screen.

Step (3): Connect your K3 to your PC via the USB cable.

Step (4): Using windows Explorer locate the following file KINDLE:\system\com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader\reader.pref. Where KINDLE equals the drive Windows assigned to your K3.

Step (5): Using Notepad edit KINDLE:\system\com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader\reader.pref and change the setting HORIZONTAL_MARGIN=40 to a smaller number like HORIZONTAL_MARGIN=20.

HORIZONTAL_MARGIN=40 equals 20 pixel margins on left and right for a total of 40 pixels. So decide how many pixels you want your margin left to be and multiply it times two. Using 20 works well. Using 10 it gets a little small. Using 0 (zero) gets rid of margins but makes it difficult to read.

Step (6): Save the file KINDLE:\system\com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader\reader.pref.

Step (7): Eject and unplug your K3.

Step (8 ): From the K3 Home screen press Menu and select Settings to go to the Settings page.

Step (9): From the K3 Settings screen press Menu and select Restart to restart the K3.

NOTE: Once the K3 restarts your margins are reset and will remain reset unless you change the Words per Line setting which will return to margins to factory settings.

I'm trying this, but there is no system folder under the drive (D:) of my Kindle. I checked the folder option to show hidden folders and it is correct. Tried it on 2 different PCs. Any ideas?

Offline Linjeakel

• Moderators-10003
    • United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: September 22, 2010, 07:38:03 am »
    I'm trying this, but there is no system folder under the drive (D:) of my Kindle. I checked the folder option to show hidden folders and it is correct. Tried it on 2 different PCs. Any ideas?

As well as checking the option to 'show hidden files & folders' have you also unchecked the 'hide protected sytem files' option?
    Linda

Offline grizedale

• View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: September 22, 2010, 07:58:40 am »

Have a look here

Code: [Select]
    http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_HowTo:_Change_Margin

Offline vermontcathy

• I don't believe in gravity but stuff keeps falling
      • View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: September 22, 2010, 09:33:49 am »
     I did 25. But note that if you press the Aa key and change the "words per line", it will revert to the old defaults. Not a biggie, but then you have to plug it into the computer to change again. It's pretty funny how fast I got used to narrower margins. When I accidentally put it back to the default, it really bugged me.
    « Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 05:30:03 am by Ann in Arlington »

Online Ann in Arlington

• Super Moderators-5
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: September 22, 2010, 12:42:02 pm »

Everyone should be aware that there is a difference between RESET and RESTART.

RESET, is ONLY accessed through the menu system and is designed to essentially wipe the Kindle and put it back to the way it was when you got it -- Kinde of like the old Format C:.  It will remove ALL your content except what came with the device.  It clearly says, when you do the operation "Reset to Factory Defaults".  

RESTART can be done via the menus, as I stated above, and can ALSO be done with the switch.  It's more or less just a reboot of the system which tends to clean out any stray electrons that might be causing problems.

They are two different operations and it's important to talk about them clearly so that someone doesn't accidentally do a RESET if all they need is a RESTART. :)
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline NogDog

• View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: September 22, 2010, 02:05:21 pm »
    RESET, is ONLY accessed through the menu system and is designed to essentially wipe the Kindle and put it back to the way it was when you got it -- Kinde of like the old Format C:.  It will remove ALL your content except what came with the device.  It clearly says, when you do the operation "Reset to Factory Defaults".  

And the Reset (really "Reset to Factory Defaults") does not uninstall any hacks.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Super Moderators-5
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: October 02, 2010, 05:31:00 am »
    Here's a link to the thread where alternate sleep pictures are discussed (frequently referred to as "the screensaver hack"):

https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,33973.0.html
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline playful

• Right Here
      • View Profile
      • The Best Kindle DX and K3 Tips
    Experimental Browser shortcut?
    « Reply #39 on: October 05, 2010, 03:46:54 pm »
    Hi everyone,

I would love a shortcut to launch the experimental browser...
    Has anyone discovered one?

Smiles,

Andy
    // suggestions for my best Kindle DX and K3 tricks gratefully accepted! :)

Offline 911jason

• Simi Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • Kindle Screensavers
    Re: Amazon Kindle, 3rd Generation: FAQ plus shortcuts and tricks
    « Reply #40 on: October 05, 2010, 04:47:58 pm »
    I haven't tried this, but you should be able to create a document with a link to Google or whatever page you want to start on when you launch the browser. Then all you'll have to do is open the "book" and click the link.

Offline Jeff

• McGregor, Texas
    • Member 95
      • View Profile
      • J. Hepple, Inc.
    « Reply #41 on: October 05, 2010, 05:05:54 pm »
    I haven't tried this, but you should be able to create a document with a link to Google or whatever page you want to start on when you launch the browser. Then all you'll have to do is open the "book" and click the link.
    I've done it and it works fine.

Offline playful

• Right Here
      • View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: October 05, 2010, 06:40:48 pm »
    Hi 911Jason!

Thanks for your message, I'm aware of that trick and should have mentioned that I have a mobi ebook loaded with bookmarks on my Home screen... All the same, I'm still hankering for a shortcut that makes that browser work the way it should... LOL... And was hoping that someone here might have discovered a trick...

Another shortcut I'd love is one that takes you back to the beginning of a book.

Smiles,

Andy

Offline fidjit

• View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: October 13, 2010, 09:54:20 pm »
    If you need to know the time, date and time zone your Kindle's set to....

Do a search and type in @date or @time. 

The time and date will be on the top of the search list.

If you want to then see the time zone properly , hit enter and you'll see

Time
    Date
    Time ID
    Time zone

Offline fidjit

• View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: October 13, 2010, 11:14:58 pm »
    Oh and Shift H and Shift J can be used to scroll your Browser window without having to "bump it" with the arrow .

Offline 911jason

• Simi Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • Kindle Screensavers
    « Reply #45 on: October 14, 2010, 12:27:52 am »
    Speaking of the browser, anyone found a way to get rid of the box with the magnifying glass in the middle? I hate that thing...

Offline Joe Chiappetta

• North Riverside, IL, USA
    • Joe Chiappetta, author of Star Chosen sci-fi novel
      • View Profile
      • Star Chosen science fiction novel and Silly Daddy comics
    « Reply #46 on: October 21, 2010, 05:12:42 am »
    There are some great tips here. Thanks.
    Where can I find a list of online applications that work well with Kindle 3G's experimental web browser? I am specifically interested in online text editors that are minimalistic, yet when you zoom in, the experimental browser doesn't trail off the page.

Google Docs as well as m.gmail.com are too small and when you zoom in, the text you type does not magnify. I also tried writer.bighugelabs.com, yet that site is the same: Typed text does not magnify well as it scrolls off the page.
    Help please.
    « Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 05:25:43 am by Joe Chiappetta »

Offline Joe Chiappetta

• North Riverside, IL, USA
    • Joe Chiappetta, author of Star Chosen sci-fi novel
      • View Profile
      • Star Chosen science fiction novel and Silly Daddy comics
    « Reply #47 on: November 16, 2010, 03:46:45 pm »
    Love all these tips. Wish there was one to launch internet

Offline playful

• Right Here
      • View Profile
    « Reply #48 on: November 16, 2010, 05:18:31 pm »
    Love all these tips. Wish there was one to launch internet

Yes,
    I have the exact same wish/gripe!... LOL...
    On my Home screen there's a "Bookmarks" file with a few sites I like, but that's still too many clicks.
    Sometimes when I want to look up something, I hit DEL (to bring up the search box), type in the query, then that select "search on google".
    Then there's the Duokan replacement Kindle firmware, with altogether different shortcuts (a bit more info on my Kindle K3/DX Tricks page and ebook).
    Still waiting for that one-click "launch browser" shortcut, though...
    Smiles,
    Andy

Offline pippa81

• View Profile
    « Reply #49 on: December 01, 2010, 11:29:38 am »
    I have the 3G and wifi version.

I remember reading that the Kindle would try to connect to a Wifi network, and then to the 3G network.

Now my neighbours have Wifi networks, and my Kindle insists that I try to connect to one of these.

I, of course, can not. So I 'cancel', and 'close'.

I have tried to 'turn wireless off' and on again, and just keep on with that process.

It works sporadically.

I did the software update, hoping it would fix it, but I still cannot get it to access 3G.

I dont want to have to go to 'settings' and dial '311' everytime to 'change network providers'.

Does anyone else have this problem?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement