Author Topic: Kindle 3 Lighted Amazon Cover - my review of it :)  (Read 8469 times)  

Offline CandyTX

• Austin, TX
  • Shhh... I'm reading
    • View Profile
    • Candy's Raves & Reviews
Kindle 3 Lighted Amazon Cover - my review of it :)
« on: September 04, 2010, 03:50:47 pm »
From my blog

Also at Amazon HERE

==============

I ordered this cover because it was the only real game in town at the time. To let you know where I come from with this review... I purchased the 2nd generation Kindle back in March of 2009 with the Amazon cover. Didn't like that one, it actually cracked my mother's Kindle that I purchased shortly thereafter (Amazon replaced it, although it was probably from her opening the wrong side, doesn't matter, this isn't about Amazon great customer service). When that happened, we immediately went looking for a new cover and fell in love with the M-Edge Prodigy with light. Unfortunately, M-Edge isn't offering that for the 3rd generation Kindle, they changed it to have a nylon strap instead of leather and aren't utilizing the hinge technology for the light, which I think is genius and a terrible error on their part. I'm telling you this so you know that I ordered this new Amazon Lighted Cover with a WHOLE LOT of trepidation.

When deciding on the color, I didn't want black (I wanted purple, but Amazon doesn't offer that *boo*hiss*) and the green was backordered slightly, didn't like the other colors so I decided to get the orange. It looked interesting and since I live in Austin, some UT fan would buy it off me if I hated it, I was sure. It came in and it's the perfect burnt orange color. It might be slightly too tan colored, but it's not vibrant orange by any means. A great almost pumpkin pie color actually.

So... what did I think of the cover itself?

I slid the Kindle in there and pulled the light out and... nothing happened. I spent a good 3 to 5 minutes pulling the light out and pushing it back in, looking for a switch, something, anything. I finally gave up and turned the Kindle on and... yeah, the light came on. DUH! It works only if the Kindle is on. This is actually GREAT because I fall asleep reading a good deal and the light will go off when the Kindle goes to sleep after 15 minutes or so. I felt stupid, but at least I didn't call customer service and have them giggle in the background and the stupid lady that can't work the cover, eh?

ANYWAY... the Kindle slides in easily and the light works great. There is no glare at all because the LED lights are directed down the arm of the light so there's no "direct" light hitting the screen, it just flows down. It is brighter in the upper right than in the lower left because of that, but it's more than adequate. The light is NOT adjustable but you shouldn't need to adjust it either. I have found it really is a genius way of handling it.

The case itself is not too thick. In fact when I first picked up the case, I thought I had the wrong one because it looked too slim to have a light in there, but it's there. It is a little hard to pull the light out, but I guess the alternative is having it be too easy, right? I really wish they had included corner straps though. I read laying in bed and I worry it's going to flop open and crack the Kindle. I do realize this is probably unfounded and they fixed that flaw, but because I'm paranoid, I did put two small circles of velcro to the back of the Kindle and the cover so it couldn't accidentally bend the hinge system or crack the case. I'm aware this is insane overkill type stuff, so feel free to snicker... I'll wait... done? Okay, onward...

Now, back to reality... the chance of you opening the Kindle from the wrong side is basically zero. You have to unwrap it using this bungee cord thingy (yes, that's the technical term here, folks). It has a little leather tag on it that says "Amazon Kindle". The tag is a little annoying because I fold the cover back and use the cord to hold it and keep hitting the tag with my hand no matter where I put. I'm thinking of cutting it off. *shrug*

It does, of course, add some weight to the Kindle. The case, with Kindle and velcro circles weighs 15.5 oz on my postal scale. There's been some discussion if this is "too heavy" but I must say that I don't think so. I read with it folded back and the bungee cord thingy wrapped around the back. I have weak hands that keep me from reading hard backs and large paperback books. I think it's more of the force of holding the book open than the weight, so it's not been an issue at all for me. I also read with it propped up somewhere usually.

My favorite part is that with the new slim and sleek design of the Kindle and this slim and sleek cover (with a light, no less!) it really is a great size to grab and go, toss in my purse, in the car or my bedside. My other favorite (it's a tie) is the light. It runs off power from the Kindle itself so I'm never without a light. I don't have to find a battery somewhere when it burns out. Amazon knocked it out of the park as far as I'm concerned. I'm taking off a star just for the few little niggle things I mentioned before. After over a week of use though, this is the cover I'm recommending to friends/family at this time.

Well worth it.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Deb G

• Suburb of Seattle
    • You get what you give!
      • View Profile
      • FoxTail Ridge Labradoodles
    Re: Kindle 3 Lighted Amazon Cover - my review of it :)
    « Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 05:05:43 pm »
    I totally agree. I love my cover and got it in blue.

I was also worried about the hinge cracking my kindle so I too put little Velcro circles on the case and my kindle (great ocd minds think alike). 

I had an Oberon before with a mighty bright light and ordered the amazon case to use until the new oberons came out. I like the lighted amazon case so well that it's gonna take a lot to get me to consider buying another type of case
    Deb 
    Member since Jan 18 2009
    Member number 1630
    www.foxtailridge.com

Offline Luvmy5brats

• Enabler Extraordinaire
    • Eastern Shore, MD
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 05:09:54 pm »
    I had an Oberon before with a mighty bright light and ordered the amazon case to use until the new oberons came out. I like the lighted amazon case so well that it's gonna take a lot to get me to consider buying another type of case

I totally agree with this as well... And you guys all know how much I loved my Oberon.

Offline CandyTX

• Austin, TX
    • Shhh... I'm reading
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 05:20:54 pm »
    I was also worried about the hinge cracking my kindle so I too put little Velcro circles on the case and my kindle (great ocd minds think alike). 

Oh good! I thought I was maybe the only nutty one in the group. I'll turn around twice and hit the bookcase while screaming "Bonzai" and you go knock 4 times on the door and try not to step on the white tiles. K?

(this is a joke - mostly, I am actually a "checker" so the fact that I kept checking the hinge is partially why I put the velcro on. I know myself enough to know I'd be going crazy in no time flat. I won't tell you how many times I've turned around from going somewhere to make sure the oven was off - from 2 days ago.) LOL

Offline CandyTX

• Austin, TX
    • Shhh... I'm reading
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 05:25:30 pm »
    I totally agree with this as well... And you guys all know how much I loved my Oberon.

Agreed. M-Edge would have to do something pretty amazing to earn my business, I fear. I like the company, but I really am digging the slimmed down amazon cover. Darn good use of space.

Offline Deb G

• Suburb of Seattle
    • You get what you give!
      • View Profile
      • FoxTail Ridge Labradoodles
    « Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 05:44:27 pm »
    Oh good! I thought I was maybe the only nutty one in the group. I'll turn around twice and hit the bookcase while screaming "Bonzai" and you go knock 4 times on the door and try not to step on the white tiles. K?

(this is a joke - mostly, I am actually a "checker" so the fact that I kept checking the hinge is partially why I put the velcro on. I know myself enough to know I'd be going crazy in no time flat. I won't tell you how many times I've turned around from going somewhere to make sure the oven was off - from 2 days ago.) LOL

Got it. I've knocked on the door four times twice now to make sure I got it right. And since the white tiles are so small I'm just going to have to learn to fly which is perfect for someone who is OCD cause I'll always be polishing my wings!
    Deb 
    Member since Jan 18 2009
    Member number 1630
    www.foxtailridge.com

Offline Stormy

• Pocatello,ID
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 11:31:29 pm »
    Agreed. M-Edge would have to do something pretty amazing to earn my business, I fear. I like the company, but I really am digging the slimmed down amazon cover. Darn good use of space.
    The only way medge could get my business back would be to have the integrated light. which they will not be doing. I really don't like the amazon case but the integrated light that doesn't take separate batteries is a must for me.

Offline CandyTX

• Austin, TX
    • Shhh... I'm reading
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 08:06:21 am »
    The only way medge could get my business back would be to have the integrated light. which they will not be doing. I really don't like the amazon case but the integrated light that doesn't take separate batteries is a must for me.

I know... that has been SO nice. In fact, I am giving 3 kindles away this year and made sure to get a lighted cover for them all. It's pretty darn cool and I love never being without a light without adding any bulk. My 7-year-old inherited my K2 with the light and case and she really likes it... she doesn't know better though. LOL

Offline jhall124

• Midwest
      • View Profile
      • My first blog page...
    « Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 11:18:40 am »
    I have the lighted cover as well and like it a lot. I had the unlit but returned it for the one I have now. I didn't have the issues with the unlit as others, just wanted a cover with a build-in light.
     :D

Offline StaceyHH

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 04:05:41 pm »
    Good to know. I have a lighted one coming on a return (started having lock-up problems with my unlighted one.) I like the velcro circle idea!

Offline Hailey Edwards

• View Profile
      • Hailey Edwards
    « Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 07:48:22 pm »
    I agree. I love the lighted case, even the unlighted case. I have one of each. I think the design is so spot-on that I  haven't found one I'd rather have. Even the lovely Oberon cases haven't tempted me since giving this case a try.

Offline CandyTX

• Austin, TX
    • Shhh... I'm reading
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 07:49:31 pm »
    Yes, I am actually amazed at how good of a cover it is... Amazon's are usually just "starter" covers for me, it was nice to get one and be perfectly happy with it :)

Offline azurehi

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 04:35:24 pm »
    Just got my Kindle 3 yesterday from Target.  Is the cover you are recommending the lighted one on Amazon for 59.95?  This is a little steep for me.  Can you recommend just a good cover, not lighted - thanks.

Offline Sometimes Lucy

• Michigan
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 08:25:18 pm »
    I pretty much agree that it's a great cover. I got the blue one for my new K3 and it's really pretty. But--I had 2 Noreve covers for my K2. I think, if I hadn't had the Noreve, I'd think the Amazon lighted cover is perfect. Comparatively speaking, the Amazon cover seems a bit stiff, and maybe a bit bulky. The leather isn't nearly as luxurious, and although the clips seem secure enough, there's nothing that beats the rail system of the Noreve. I'm probably going to return the Amazon cover, and if no one here wants to sell me their Noreve for my K3, I'll probably order one. I'd say the Noreve is hands-down the absolute best if it weren't for the difficult ordering process....

Offline John Van Stry

• Van Alstyne, Texas
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011, 10:05:47 am »
    I got the cover with the light as well, bought it from Amazon. At first I thought the price was a little steep, but the quality of the cover and the brightness of the light made it well worth the money. It makes it feel like I'm holding a nice old leather bound book when I'm carrying it, or reading it.

Offline Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
      • View Profile
      • Impulse Books UK
    « Reply #15 on: May 30, 2011, 09:43:59 am »
    Oh man, your review makes me want to buy one for my (currently naked) k3, but amazon.co.uk want 50 for it! That's insane. That's like 33% of the kindle price i paid last week!

Mark E. Cooper

Offline CandyTX

• Austin, TX
    • Shhh... I'm reading
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: May 30, 2011, 05:25:12 pm »
    Yeah, they aren't cheap. I paid US$139 and something like US$60 for the cover... but I must tell you, I think that's probably the best $60 I have spent in a LONG time. It's one purchase I've not yet regretted and every time I gift a kindle, I gift a cover with it :)

Offline Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
      • View Profile
      • Impulse Books UK
    « Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 12:47:42 am »
    Yeah, they aren't cheap. I paid US$139 and something like US$60 for the cover... but I must tell you, I think that's probably the best $60 I have spent in a LONG time. It's one purchase I've not yet regretted and every time I gift a kindle, I gift a cover with it :)

Hmmm really? Ah heck... I'm going to have to buy it aren't I?

Gulp... looks in wallet and then furtively at piggy bank... eyes narrowing... where's my hammer?

Mark E. Cooper

Offline CandyTX

• Austin, TX
    • Shhh... I'm reading
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 09:11:03 am »
    Eh, Mark... that piggy bank was overrated anyway... trust me, it's a really fabulous cover. I was showing it someone the other day and they were surprised by how thin it is - and it has a light. LOL.

I swear, Amazon should put me on payroll.

Offline Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
      • View Profile
      • Impulse Books UK
    « Reply #19 on: June 02, 2011, 12:05:45 pm »
    Eh, Mark... that piggy bank was overrated anyway... trust me, it's a really fabulous cover. I was showing it someone the other day and they were surprised by how thin it is - and it has a light. LOL.

I swear, Amazon should put me on payroll.

I've ordered the cover... still not feeling great about the price though :( Had to be done. I can't walk around with a naked kindle, what would people say? I suppose i need to carry a box of wet wipes with me to keep the screen too.

Mark E. Cooper

Offline portiadacosta

• United Kingdom
      • View Profile
      • Portia Da Costa's Web Site
    « Reply #20 on: June 22, 2011, 03:26:21 am »
    I got the lighted cover too. In fact when I ordered, last autumn, I had the case several weeks before the actual Kindle was released.

It seemed a bit expensive, but it's definitely been worth it. It provides solid protection for the Kindle, something invaluable for a clumsy person like me, and the light works a treat. I was a bit dubious at the idea of it, but the luminosity is just right, and the positioning/spread of light is spot on too.

My only regret is that when I was ordering, I didn't realise you could get coloured lighted covers, and just ordered the default black. I would have loved a pink cover!  ;D
    SUNDAY TIMES Bestselling Author
    Portia Da Costa | author website | blog | facebook | twitter | goodreads

Offline Edie Claire

• Author and Playwright
      • View Profile
      • Edie Claire author website
    « Reply #21 on: July 21, 2011, 02:28:37 pm »
    I read laying in bed and I worry it's going to flop open and crack the Kindle. I do realize this is probably unfounded and they fixed that flaw, but because I'm paranoid, I did put two small circles of velcro to the back of the Kindle and the cover so it couldn't accidentally bend the hinge system or crack the case.

Just got my first Kindle last week :D and have been looking at cases...but I'm having trouble picturing this. How could the cover flop open and damage the Kindle? I read in bed too, and don't want something super bulky, but I do need a light, and I figured by the time I bought a case AND a light this might not be so expensive. On the other hand, I might just get a generic case for protection and read with the naked Kindle (plus light as needed.) Is there an advantage to having the case on when you read? Sorry if these are idiotic questions...sure wish I could handle the various options myself before buying!
    Check out Leigh Koslow's world: full of puzzling family secrets, certifiable relatives, a touch of veterinary lore, and a healthy dose of humor!

Never Buried now only $0.99 on Kindle! Originally published by Penguin-Putnam(Signet).

Offline John Van Stry

• Van Alstyne, Texas
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #22 on: July 22, 2011, 07:14:34 am »
    Just got my first Kindle last week :D and have been looking at cases...but I'm having trouble picturing this. How could the cover flop open and damage the Kindle? I read in bed too, and don't want something super bulky, but I do need a light, and I figured by the time I bought a case AND a light this might not be so expensive. On the other hand, I might just get a generic case for protection and read with the naked Kindle (plus light as needed.) Is there an advantage to having the case on when you read? Sorry if these are idiotic questions...sure wish I could handle the various options myself before buying!

The case has an elastic band built into it to hold it either open or closed. The front cover folds behind it when your reading and is easy to grip. The pins that hold the kindle to the cover do so rather securely and I would NOT take the cover on and off, as it will probably degrade the hinges and how well they function over time.

If you're not sure if you want one, try to find someone with one already and look at theirs. I like mine because it protects my kindle, is comfortable to hold, and has a neat little built in light that works off of the kindle's battery, so I don't need to worry about charging a second device.

Offline hakimast

• View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: August 06, 2011, 12:28:22 pm »
    Do you have a picture of the case in action?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement