Author Topic: Computer Bug Day  (Read 516 times)  

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Card-carrying melodrama villain
    • View Profile
    • All about me....<hee hee>
Computer Bug Day
« on: September 09, 2010, 06:54:11 am »
You've heard the story of how the term ' computer bug' originated when a moth got fried in the circuits of an early computer?

According to my phones Today In History widget, it happened on this date in 1947 at the Mark II computer in Harvard.

So let us honor the start of all those frustrating moments!
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
    • Member 2434
      • View Profile
    Re: Computer Bug Day
    « Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 07:04:24 am »
    It has sometimes been attributed to Grace Hopper.

Throughout much of her later career, Grace Hopper was much in demand as a speaker at various computer-related events. She was well-known for her lively and irreverent speaking style, as well as a rich treasury of early war stories.

While she was working on a Mark II Computer at Harvard University in 1947, her associates discovered a moth stuck in a relay and thereby impeding operation, whereupon she remarked that they were "debugging" the system. Though the term computer bug cannot be definitively attributed to Admiral Hopper, she did bring the term into popularity.[15] The remains of the moth can be found in the group's log book at the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of American History in Washington, D.C.

Miss you, Dona, Jeff & Harvey! | Member since 02/27/2009 | e-books by Lynn Abbey, CJ Cherryh, & Jane Fancher
    TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
    • Member 2434
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 07:08:03 am »
    To confirm today's significance, you will notice that the log book with the moth on it is dated 9/9 in the upper left corner.

Just sayin......

Miss you, Dona, Jeff & Harvey! | Member since 02/27/2009 | e-books by Lynn Abbey, CJ Cherryh, & Jane Fancher
    TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 07:28:45 am »
    I have met Admiral Hopper. . .she was a Captain at the time. . .there's a small park dedicated to her in Arlington near the condo building where she lived. . . . . she was a very cool lady and is a large part of the reason I joined the Navy out of college.

I think I still have the 'nanosecond' she passed out at her lecture. . . . .
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline NogDog

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 08:17:16 am »
    I will tenuously connect myself to this great moment in history by passing along a little poem, and thus conveniently also linking this to literature and thus to Kindleboards. It was inspired by the Multics operating system, used by the Naval Warfare Gaming System (NWGS) and later the Enhanced Naval Warfare Gaming System (ENWGS), which I worked on for about 9 years starting in the latter '80s. From the ENWGS Multics humor (using the term loosely) page:

SHAKESPEARIAN MULTICS

Ah, another daye hath bit ye olde dust.
        What cometh on the morrow?
        Mayhap bugs, those insidious wretches,
        Scuttling from 'neath olde lystings.
        Or the Spectre of a Crash, 0 glorious Pain.

We are possessed of Daemons, great and small,
        Who watch our daily processes, bumping at a whim
        Those who hoard not their bits and bytes.
        Our lives trickle away down the queue,
        To be lost forever in the labyrinth of Rings,
        Looping blindly down the corridors of Time.
        The objects of our lives are not free,
        But are tightly bound
        To the Root of the World.

And yet, such is our quota.
        We are all terminally ill
        And virtually mad.

Offline Scheherazade

• Hampton, VA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 10:50:35 am »
    Computer bug day is everyday for me.  I can't do anything to my computer without it going wrong.  I've been trying to upgrade my RAM and video card for a week now.  The RAM was finally recognized, but the video card seemed to have fried itself and I had to return it for another one.  I just hope the second time works okay, I'm not sure they'd like me returning two for the same problem... then it might look like it's my fault.
    "A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read."  - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement