Author Topic: Forum decorum  (Read 504776 times)  

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Re: Forum decorum
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2010, 03:27:08 PM »
Victoria--

You're cool, not to worry!

I suggest you browse the Bazaar to see what other authors have done.  In general, a little bit about yourself, the book cover(s) with a link to your Amazon page, and your blurb about the book from Amazon are good choices for your first post. 

We ask that Amazon reviews not be copied here as they are easy enough to find at your page. (We've had bad experiences with authors posting both good and bad Amazon reviews, beiieve it or not,  ::) so we made the rule.) Brief excerpts from reviews from other sources may be posted with a link to the full review, if available online.

I've included below a copy of the welcome letter that we will post in your book thread, once you've created it....it has some more information about our rules.  And don't worry, if you accidentally do something wrong, we'll gently let you know.  We don't put people in the stocks until they've been around a bit longer.....  ;D

Betsy
Book Bazaar Moderator

The aforementioned Welcome Letter:
Welcome to KindleBoards and congratulations on your book!  

(If you've gotten this welcome before, it's just as a matter of housekeeping. We like to put a copy of the "welcome letter" in each book thread.  It doesn't mean you've done anything wrong, it just helps us know that you know the rules.)

A brief recap of our rules follows:

--We invite you to use your book cover as your avatar and have links to your book and website in your profile signature. You may find tutorials on using images on KindleBoards here

--Please bookmark this thread (using your browser's bookmark/favorite function) so you can update it as we ask that authors have only one thread per book and add to it when there is more information.  You may start a separate thread for each book (or you may have one thread per series of books, or one thread for all of your books, it's your choice).

--While you may respond to member posts to your thread at any time, you may only bump your thread (back-to-back posts by you) once every seven days.  Once you've responded to a member, that resets the clock to zero and you must wait seven days to post, unless another member posts before then.

--We ask that Amazon reviews not be repeated here as they are easy to find at your book link.  Also, full reviews from other sites should not be posted here, but you may post a short blurb and a link to the full review instead.

--Although self-promotion is limited to the Book Bazaar, our most successful authors have found the best way to promote their books is to be as active throughout KindleBoards as time allows.  This is your target audience--book lovers with Kindles!  Please note that putting link information in the body of your posts constitutes self promotion; please leave your links for your profile signature that will automatically appear on each post.  For information on more ways to promote here on KindleBoards, be sure to check out this thread:
Authors: KindleBoards Tips & FAQ.

All this, and more, is included in our Forum Decorum: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,36.0.html.  Be sure to check it from time to time for the current guidelines and rules.

Oh, and one more thing:  be sure to check out the index threads at the top of the Book Bazaar. . . .there are details there about how you can be listed so that our readers can find you.

Thanks for being part of KindleBoards!  Feel free to send us a PM if you have any questions.

Betsy & Ann
Book Bazaar Moderators
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
  • Nothin' but a hound dog.
    • View Profile
    • Carmen-Ashland Building
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2011, 12:38:28 PM »
I have looked and probably missed this but I just want to know if in a signature I can link to my book if it isn't on Kindle/Amazon.

Absolutely. There are instructions for how to do so in my tutorial:

Creating Signatures - An updated tutorial for Link-Maker 2.0
   my e-readers: Kindle 2 Kindle 3 nook iPad Sony-950

Offline Hedra Helix

• syllable singer, coming soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2011, 06:40:55 AM »
Thank you for making these boards available and for the friendly environment.
Read the rules. Check!

Offline SHauzelSailo

• View Profile
    • What do you want in life? What are you seeking in life?
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2011, 06:16:15 AM »
It's important that we read this.

Thanks to Valmore Daniels for bring to my attention through reply http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,56550.msg956624.html#msg956624

Be blessed.
S. Hauzel Sailo
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 08:45:55 AM by shsailo »

Offline EchelonPress

• Laurel, MD
  • Great books. Great reads!
    • View Profile
    • Echelon Press LLC
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2011, 01:48:36 PM »
Um, not sure if this is the place to ask, but I responded to a post in the "tell us about strong female characters" or something along those lines. I posted about another author's books, which was totally relevant to the topic and it was edited out for "no self promotion. But they were not my books.

Now in all fairness, I am a publisher and an author, but they were not my books. What did I do wrong? They had amazon links made with your link maker.

Any clues on how I messed up?  ???  Am I not allowed to mention the books of other authors that I publish, even though I am a reader as well? I do talk about all kinds of books, not just my authors. and I always make sure they are relevant. :-\

Karen L. Syed aka Alexis Hart TOO FAST FOR LOVE at Kindle now!
Echelon Press LLC http://www.echelonpress.com
Life as a Publisher: http://klsyed.com Twitter: @echelonpress

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
  • Nothin' but a hound dog.
    • View Profile
    • Carmen-Ashland Building
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2011, 03:56:52 PM »
It appears to me we've edited a few of your posts. It can happen that if we need to edit a particular members posts a few times, we go on autopilot without verifying whether the book is theirs or not. All of a sudden, we've been inundated with members who are self-promoting all over the place, and with the thousands of posts we read daily, will make a few mistakes. Sorry if one of your posts got trimmed unnecessarily. However, please be diligent in only recommending books you are not associated with, or your posts will be removed.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 04:38:32 PM by pidgeon92 »
   my e-readers: Kindle 2 Kindle 3 nook iPad Sony-950

Offline bobdev

• Northern Colorado
    • View Profile
    • Robert Devereaux
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2011, 06:52:36 PM »
I just added info to my Book Bazaar posting for "Zombie Mashup."

The story is included in a new printed short story collection whose title contains words not allowed by your filters. Feel free to remove my latest posting if you find it in violation, either because of the title, or because I point readers to the Amazon non-Kindle entry.

Thanks for this forum!

Robert

Robert Devereaux

Offline Bri_Clark

• Boise ID
    • View Profile
    • Bri Clark The Belle of Boise
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2011, 05:49:05 PM »
Thanks for the info it was much appreciated and easy to find for a new author to the Cafe.
Grazi, Bri

Offline John Booth

• Reading, England
  • This is the real me.
    • View Profile
    • Scrawls in the Dust
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2011, 03:50:02 AM »
Thanks for that  :)

Offline Not Here

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2011, 07:02:17 PM »
I have a question about posting my services as an editor/proofreader. I see that several other have posted about their services. Is there a specific place I should do this (aside from the yellow pages and signature)? Thanks!

Offline Evelyn Collier

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2011, 08:57:36 AM »
Thanks for the guidelines. They sound sensible. I'm new here, so it's helpful knowing the rules.

Offline PJJones

• View Profile
    • Squee Your Pants Funny!
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2011, 09:51:30 PM »
I have created a fan page for a character in my novel. May I post it in the writers' cafe?

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2011, 03:25:39 AM »
PJ--

Anything that is promotional in nature related to your book should be part of your book thread in the Book Bazaar.

Thanks for asking!

Betsy

Offline Andrew Davis

• View Profile
Re: Forum decorum: I'm lost, Harvey.
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2011, 01:37:33 PM »
This is all a bit Greek to me right now, so I have questions about the rules.
Please be so kind as to shed some light on these for me, if you will.
In relation to authors posting stuff:

1. Can I put "links" in all posts and replies?
2. What does "bump" mean?
3. What is a back-to-back post?
4. How do we get on the Master List---I did not see instructions at the instruction link page.

Thanks, Harvey.

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2011, 06:09:48 AM »
I'm not Harvey, will I do?  :D

Andrew--

Welcome to KindleBoards!

You may put links to your book in your signature (as you've done).  As self promotion is only allowed in the Book Bazaar, you may have a thread for each of your books, or one for all of your books, and have links to the books and links that pertain to the books (reviews, blogs, etc) in posts to that thread.

In the Writers' Caf, a sub-board of the Book Bazaar, you may have links in the posts & replies if you are asking for advice about your book.

In all other places, the only links about your books must be those in your signatures.  You can however put links to other things in your posts, as appropriate to the thread you are posting in--other books, good movies, etc.

"Bump" as we use it here means to post to your thread to bring it to the top of the Topic listing, which is sorted from newest to oldest, based on the latest post.

"Back-to-back posts" are when yours is the last post in the thread and you reply, making yours the last TWO posts in the thread.  If you are posting to your book thread in the Book Bazaar, you must wait seven days between making back-to-back posts.  If someone else has posted, you may reply.

The Master List is closed while we work on a less labor-intensive way of providing the information to our members.  The last post in that thread has information about this.

Hope this clarifies things, don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions!  It looks like you're finding your way around just fine!

Betsy
KB Moderator

Offline Andrew Davis

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2011, 01:09:45 PM »
Yes, Betsy; you'll do fine.
And, great avatar photo.
Is that recent? If it is, I want your phone number and the planet you live on!  :D

Thanks for your help.
As you well know, I'm new to the kindleboards forum, so it's slow-going for now.
Your answers shed much-needed light on the process.

I sent "Leslie" a note to list me in something---I don't remember---I think the Master List, and she sent the request on to Harvey, so I assume that's what it was about.

Also: Are you allowed to offer an opinion on placing all your books in one thread in Book Bazaar, or putting each book in a different thread? If so, I'd like to have it. Does it really make much difference? Looks like having them all in one thread would make things easier for the reader...?

Thanks again for your help.

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2011, 04:37:08 PM »
Ahhh, Andrew, you sweet talker you....no, I'm quite happily married, no phone numbers are given out...  8)  Our member NogDog made me that avatar.  I still haven't figured out how he got the picture of me.  ;)

One thread per book or one for all is up to you...it's certainly easier for both you and us moderators to track if there is one...and probably for the readers too.  Many authors seem to have decided to have one thread after being here for awhile, others like their individual threads.

Betsy

Offline Nicholas Andrews

• Dayton, OH
  • authornicholasandrews.com
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2011, 10:07:02 PM »
What if someone is requesting recommendations and I think they might enjoy my book? Is it okay to respond with a link to my book thread in the Book Bazaar?

The Whims of War (The Law of Eight - Book 4): 3%

Nicholas Andrews | Website | Facebook | Twitter

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2011, 02:24:27 AM »
Nicholas-

Regrettably, no.  Amazingly, we have had authors who think that if someone is requesting a historical romance recommendation, their post-apocalyptic zombie war book is a perfect fit.  So, after much discussion with our membership, mention of one's books in posts outside the Book Bazaar is not allowed, even in response to recommendations.  Or via unsolicited PM.

However, most authors here find that joining in the conversation here and letting readers know you as a fun and interesting person, and having your books in your signature, will result in people seeking out your books.

Betsy

Offline HeyDrew

• The Internet
    • View Profile
    • andrew van wey dot com
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2011, 01:30:24 AM »
Hi There,

I'm thrilled to join this board, but I have a sort of grey area question.  I sometimes blog about topics that are relevant to questions the members ask (one topic already covered is about my experience using a crowd sourcing site, 99designs.com, to create cover art for an eBook).

Am I allowed to link to my blog if it answers the question?
Can I include excerpts or entire answers in the kindle board thread?
Or should I just copy my entire blog page to the kindle board forum if it answers the question?

Cheers,

-D-

Van Wey, Andrew

Offline angelamcconnell

• Highland, California
  • Speculative Fiction writer
    • View Profile
    • Angela McConnell
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2011, 09:10:15 AM »
I generally hang out in the Writer's Cafe section, and I see some authors cross-posting blog posts as a new topic, which I really like. I wanted to share the links to my latest blog posts today, but I noticed a thread entitled, "Have You Posted to Your Blog Today?" that's 156 pages long (which I did post to).

My question is: Is it a requirement that blog posts and links are shared only on this thread, or is it acceptable to post a topic in Writer's Cafe specifically for sharing a blog post I've written?

(Note: I am not pimping any books...yet...just my blog.)

Thanks heaps! :)

Angela McConnell | www.AngelaMcConnell.com

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2011, 02:31:12 PM »
While it is difficult to keep the KB writers corralled (they keep breaking out of the special pen we keep them in ;)), we do prefer that notifications of blog posts be in the "Have You Posted in Your Blog today" thread.  Don't be afraid of the 156 pages--many readers (like me) read the newest posts first.

You are always welcome to start a discussion topic on the same thing that you've blogged about, but we'd like the discussion to take place here.

Betsy
KB Moderator

Offline angelamcconnell

• Highland, California
  • Speculative Fiction writer
    • View Profile
    • Angela McConnell
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2011, 03:04:15 PM »
Ah, got it. Thank you, Betsy. I'm glad I asked. :) Appreciate you answering so quickly. :)

Angela McConnell | www.AngelaMcConnell.com

Offline AliciaStreet

• Northeast US
    • View Profile
    • Alicia Street & Roy Street
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2011, 02:36:24 PM »
I am new and look forward to all the interesting discussions. But I am just learning my way around. I want to upload a profile photo and fill out the profile info, but cannot find a a way to get there. When I followed the Main Menu and what they suggested I found no links or highlighted areas to click. Sorry to sound dumb, but if anyone would be able to give me some direction on this I would truly appreciate it.
Thanks.
Alicia Street http://aliciastreet-roystreet.com   @AliciaStreet1

Offline Jeff

• McGregor, Texas
  • Member 95
    • View Profile
    • J. Hepple, Inc.
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2011, 02:38:21 PM »
I am new and look forward to all the interesting discussions. But I am just learning my way around. I want to upload a profile photo and fill out the profile info, but cannot find a a way to get there. When I followed the Main Menu and what they suggested I found no links or highlighted areas to click. Sorry to sound dumb, but if anyone would be able to give me some direction on this I would truly appreciate it.
Thanks.
You must have at least one post before you can edit that portion of your profile. Try again.