Author Topic: Forum decorum  (Read 504777 times)  

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Re: Forum decorum
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2011, 02:50:43 PM »
Alicia, I also answered you here--
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,85343.msg1356223.html#msg1356223

Don't worry, you'll get the hang of it!
 ;D

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline AliciaStreet

• Northeast US
    • View Profile
    • Alicia Street & Roy Street
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2011, 03:08:57 PM »
Thanks, Betsy! (No, I guess we don't read all the terms too thoroughly.) I'll keep snooping around until I get the feel of things.
Alicia Street http://aliciastreet-roystreet.com   @AliciaStreet1

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2011, 06:18:11 PM »
Don't hesitate to ask if you have questions!  Lots of people willing to help!

Betsy

Offline D Michelle Gent

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2011, 12:56:39 AM »
I hope there's not going to be a test on the rules  :o

I think I'll manage not to break these :)

Offline ElizabethHunter

• Southern California
  • Writer. Photographer. Reader.
    • View Profile
    • Elemental Mysteries
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2011, 09:18:46 PM »
Thanks for posting these! I'm new here and I like to get a feel for what to expect.  Appreciate it.

Offline stephaniedray

• View Profile
    • Stephanie Dray
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2011, 03:26:28 PM »
I'm confused on the point of multiple accounts. As an author, I have two pen names in very different genres, such that I don't want my names conflated. I would never use one account to 'bump' the threads of the other or otherwise abuse posting privileges here, but am I to understand that if I want to talk about my books written under my other name I can't do so unless I'm willing to do so under this log-in ID?
~Stephanie Dray
Author of Historical Fiction & Fantasy
Newsletter  | Twitter | Website

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2011, 01:29:10 PM »
Stephanie--

PM me about your pen names and we'll talk!

Betsy
KindleBoards Moderator

Offline R J Askew

• London, England
    • View Profile
    • r j askew
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2011, 12:53:52 PM »
O bliss, a place with rules of behaviour. The good old British bus queue used to be a little like this. Now people just mill around and all surge fwd at once when said bus arrives. I wish this place well and hope it continues to prosper. *bows from across the whale roads*
English is the river which courses through us all and though which we live every aspect of our lives. It is 'all a river should be', to lift a line from Cannery Row. If we English speakers are lucky in our language, then those of us who write in said language are doubly so. To be in the language, in the wordfall, is to be part of a great natural force. Yet we think little of it for the most part. Yet how would it be were it to crumble in us through injury or illness, or be ripped from us by forces malign? We must guard it well for it is our greatest inherited common wealth, this river which stretches into our past through time out of mind and which we have a duty to instill in our children. Blimy, now where did that come from? London calling.

Offline Jaci Byrne

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • Jaci Byrne
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2011, 05:25:33 PM »
Thanks for all the info, but what if a cuss word is in the title - as in my latest novel? It really is pertinent to the story!! Really! ::) ::)

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2011, 05:28:56 PM »
Jaci--

If the word is in our filters, the filters will replace it.  People will still get the idea.  If the word is legible in your book cover, we'll ask that you use a text link with a filtered version...

People do browse KBs at work--you do want them to be able to check you out, right?
 ;D

Betsy

Offline sadievan

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2012, 08:32:12 AM »
Betsy,

I noticed that you removed my link for swagbucks and dropbox in my signature.  Is posting these links not allowed.

Thanks,
Carol
Free online storage with Dropbox. Sign up with my link and we both get extra storage free.  http://db.tt/AckwCI3Y

Swagbucks search engine. Earn points while you search. A great way to get Amazon gift cards. http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/sadievan

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2012, 08:52:25 AM »
I'm not Betsy, but. . . ::)

Carol. . . the links would be fine in your signature. . .but are not appropriate in the body of the post. . .well, unless maybe the thread was specifically asking questions about one of those services.  Anyway, that is why they were removed.

I notice you haven't set up a signature yet. . .you can do that by going to your profile.  There are some suggestions and guidelines in a couple of threads in the "Forum Announcements and Tips" board.  We pretty much leave signatures to the member's preferences with some size restrictions -- unless of course it's spammy or has non-family friendly content or something, of course.  :)  But your swagbucks and dropbox links would be o.k.

Let us know if you have any problems

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline sadievan

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2012, 05:24:53 PM »
I'm not Betsy, but. . . ::)

Carol. . . the links would be fine in your signature. . .but are not appropriate in the body of the post. . .well, unless maybe the thread was specifically asking questions about one of those services.  Anyway, that is why they were removed.

I notice you haven't set up a signature yet. . .you can do that by going to your profile.  There are some suggestions and guidelines in a couple of threads in the "Forum Announcements and Tips" board.  We pretty much leave signatures to the member's preferences with some size restrictions -- unless of course it's spammy or has non-family friendly content or something, of course.  :)  But your swagbucks and dropbox links would be o.k.

Let us know if you have any problems

Thanks Ann.  No the thread wasn't asking questions about any of the services, but I had just added them below my name so maybe that was the problem.  I'll have to go in and set up a signature, etc. and see if that works out ok.

Thanks
Carol
Free online storage with Dropbox. Sign up with my link and we both get extra storage free.  http://db.tt/AckwCI3Y

Swagbucks search engine. Earn points while you search. A great way to get Amazon gift cards. http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/sadievan

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2012, 08:11:29 PM »
Betsy,

I noticed that you removed my link for swagbucks and dropbox in my signature.  Is posting these links not allowed.

Thanks,
Carol

Sadievan--

I'm a little confused...to my knowledge, I haven't touched your signature.  Are you talking about this post?
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,99081.msg1523317.html#msg1523317

The only thing I did in that post is edit the link to the dimming app that was cited in the post you quoted, as I had put a KindleBoards link in the original post, and did the same in to posts that quoted it....

I didn't touch swagbucks and dropbox links...

Sorry for any confusion.

Betsy

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2012, 03:53:59 AM »
Carol. . .and Betsy,

Sorry for the confusion. . .I was the one who'd deleted the links in the post. . .:)  And it looks like your signature is all sorted now so yay! :)

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline sadievan

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2012, 05:48:24 AM »
Sadievan--

I'm a little confused...to my knowledge, I haven't touched your signature.  Are you talking about this post?
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,99081.msg1523317.html#msg1523317

The only thing I did in that post is edit the link to the dimming app that was cited in the post you quoted, as I had put a KindleBoards link in the original post, and did the same in to posts that quoted it....

I didn't touch swagbucks and dropbox links...

Sorry for any confusion.

Betsy

Yes that was the post.  I see Ann posted that she deleted the links.  At least I'm not going crazy.  LOL. 

Thanks
Carol
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 05:50:08 AM by sadievan »

Offline sadievan

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2012, 05:51:00 AM »
Carol. . .and Betsy,

Sorry for the confusion. . .I was the one who'd deleted the links in the post. . .:)  And it looks like your signature is all sorted now so yay! :)

Thanks for clearing that up.  I thought I was going crazy.  LOL

Carol

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2012, 05:53:27 AM »
Ann is trying to gaslight us...
 ;D

Betsy

Offline JD_Richard

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2012, 06:46:57 PM »
We welcome everyone to this forum, from newbies to tech warriors. No complicated rules here.

General Rules

- Harvey
KindleBoards Admin

Harvey,

I'm a little slow.  I made a Welcome and Introductions post without realizing that the "signature" is a whole area below a line that is created via the profile after the first post.  So, I just placed my book link below my signature.

Plus, I tried the YouTube function and the view screen is huge.  I can't make it smaller.  I could not find where YouTube is prohibited in the first post.  It got me a sale--I think.  But, I don't want to adversely affect or be kicked off this awesome site that can help get me on the right track for finding the perfect Kindle too.  Please advise.

J. D.

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2012, 06:58:39 PM »
JD--

Not to worry, we hardly ever put new folk in the stocks.  Let me take a look at what you've done.
 ;D

Be right back...

Betsy

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2012, 07:05:14 PM »
Harvey,

I'm a little slow.  I made a Welcome and Introductions post without realizing that the "signature" is a whole area below a line that is created via the profile after the first post.  So, I just placed my book link below my signature.

Plus, I tried the YouTube function and the view screen is huge.  I can't make it smaller.  I could not find where YouTube is prohibited in the first post.  It got me a sale--I think.  But, I don't want to adversely affect or be kicked off this awesome site that can help get me on the right track for finding the perfect Kindle too.  Please advise.

J. D.

JD--

you're fine.  The YouTube video is the standard size on our site, and in your Intro post, we let youi put links to your book and website in the body of your post.  Just copy the cover and link (not the YouTube video) into your forum profile signature (Profile, in the top blue menu bar, Forum Profile Information in the left side menu, then scroll down to the signature box.)

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions!

Betsy

Offline JD_Richard

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2012, 07:28:50 PM »
JD--

you're fine...  Just copy the cover and link (not the YouTube video) into your forum profile signature (Profile, in the top blue menu bar, Forum Profile Information in the left side menu, then scroll down to the signature box.)

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions!

Betsy

Betsy,

Thanks for such a prompt response and clear direction.  I think I got my signature.  That Forum Profile Information tip really helped.  I'm allergic to the stocks.  I'll be good.

Best,
J. D.

Offline intinst

• Shannon Hills, AR
  • 'just enough clouds to create a beautiful sunset
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2012, 10:58:12 PM »
Of course, an intro for the person behind the book is kinda nice. ;)
A great many people now reading and writing would be better employed keeping rabbits.  Edith Sitwell 
Your work is to keep cranking the flywheel that turns the gears that spin the belt in the
engine of belief that keeps you and your desk in midair. Annie Dillard

Located just outside Little Rock, Arkansas

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2012, 03:41:53 AM »
Any time you see a post that appears to violate forum decorum, please use the 'report to moderator' link so that we can check it out. :)

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)

Offline intinst

• Shannon Hills, AR
  • 'just enough clouds to create a beautiful sunset
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2012, 11:23:25 AM »
Well, the last thing I want to do is play moderator or snitch. But I've seen long threads with reviews copied. I personally don't understand why it is prohibited, especially if it is just limited to one review. Otherwise folks just post filler to get their "bump."

It's a tough game.

G
Something to remember is that Kindle Boards doesn't exist just for authors to sell books.
"KindleBoards is an independent resource for people who own or have interest in Kindle - Amazon's family of wireless reading devices, tablets, and content." (quote from the bottom of every page of KB)
It was started as and remains a place for Kindle owners and those interested in Kindles to have a place to discuss All things related to Kindle (and several not too related) Authors are allowed to promote their work in the Bazaar if they follow the rules. As far as making page long posts of reviews or excerpts, I never read them. If you can't interest me with your blurb, cover and title, I won't buy anyway.
A great many people now reading and writing would be better employed keeping rabbits.  Edith Sitwell 
Your work is to keep cranking the flywheel that turns the gears that spin the belt in the
engine of belief that keeps you and your desk in midair. Annie Dillard

Located just outside Little Rock, Arkansas

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac