Author Topic: Question on sharing an account  (Read 589 times)  

Offline PraiseGod13

• Iowa
  • <'///>< Member #54
    • View Profile
Question on sharing an account
« on: September 20, 2010, 08:40:15 am »
I have never shared my Kindle account, but I am giving my son's girlfriend a K3 for her birthday and we are considering whether she should be on my account or have her own.  Obviously, even though our reading tastes aren't always the same, I have quite a few books that we'd like to be able to share.  If she gets, say, 20 books that I have already purchased.... but then three months from now decides that they are in better shape financially and she would like to get her own account to make things simpler..... what happens?  Obviously I would deregister the K3 from my account and she would add it to her new account.  Would she then lose the 20 books from my account from her K3?  I realize that they wouldn't be archived at Amazon on her new account..... but would she still have them to read as long as she doesn't delete them?
     Thanks for your help.... this is uncharted territory for me and I confess I haven't read the discussions on sharing an account because I haven't had anyone to share my account with until now.

MaKK (K1) & Shemar (K3)
Books let us into their souls and lay open to us the secrets of our own. ~ William Hazl

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    Re: Question on sharing an account
    « Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 09:05:38 am »
    She would have access to the books as long as they are on her device. Once she deleted them, they would be gone.

Offline kim

• Minnesota, USA
    • Member #701
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 09:28:51 am »
    If she is on your account and switches to her own account - she will have them on her Kindle until they are delete, then they are gone and she won't have access to them again.  But this form of sharing books is considered illegal since you are the one who ones the books.

Many people have different definitions of "girlfriend"; unless you think this is a permanent relationship, you might not want her on your account.  If this isn't a long term relationship and they break up, she will be left without any of the books she purchased.  Or if you are just thinking of having her on your account just because she has a tight budget and she will want her own when she is more financially stable, you might encourage her to have her own account now and give her an Amazon gift card for Christmas.  Again, once she leaves your account she would loose the books she bought.

Offline PraiseGod13

• Iowa
    • <'///>< Member #54
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 09:40:23 am »
    If she is on your account and switches to her own account - she will have them on her Kindle until they are delete, then they are gone and she won't have access to them again.  But this form of sharing books is considered illegal since you are the one who ones the books.

I guess I'm not sure why this would be considered at all illegal since, if she is on my account, she would legally own any book in the account archive as a member of that account.  It could easily be a year before she is able to support her own account... we have no way of knowing.  During that year on my account, wouldn't she be reading any of my books legally since they would be hers also?  I had just wondered what would happen if she still had books TBR when she was ready to get her own account.  Not trying to do anything illegal here... just trying to figure out how this all works.
         And, yes, she is the mother of my granddaughter so she will always be part of my family... I'm not concerned about that aspect.  I have thought about just giving her gift cards for her own account, but she is always very concerned about me doing too much for her - she already feels that way since I'm giving her the K3.  We'll get it figured out and see what works best and go with that.
          Thanks so much for the help/advice!
    « Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 09:52:17 am by PraiseGod13 »

MaKK (K1) & Shemar (K3)
    Books let us into their souls and lay open to us the secrets of our own. ~ William Hazl

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Super Moderators-5
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 09:51:21 am »

Giving away or selling a Kindle with content is considered against Amazon's terms of service.  If you share an account and subsequently decide not to, I think an argument can be made that the sharer who leaves can take the books he/she actually purchased when they move to a new account -- subject to the conditions that if she deletes them without making her own back up they're gone for good.  Pretty sure it's not been tested, and I'm not sure if this specific scenario has even been addressed by Amazon.  Note that they don't currently have any way to 'split' an account, which is why I think they'd not really get bent out of shape about something like this. . . . .

That said, though I share my account with my brother, I'm not sure I'd be willing to share with my son's girlfriend.  Probably not even a fiancee or spouse. . . . . . .that's possibly based as much on some of my content as anything.  BUT, in terms of what happens to shared books if they break up, well, I think that's a valid thing to consider.  Haven't seen a Kindle dispute on Judge Judy yet and we'd hate for you to be the first! :D

I think if it was me, I'd lean toward letting her have her own account. . . when I feel like giving her a little something, I could always send a gift certificate. . .maybe even with the name of a book I think she might like. . . .if she doesn't want to feel beholden, make it small amounts as 'thank yous' for any little thing. . . . .remember there are a TON of free and very cheap books available. . . . .And when she's better off, she can do the same for you if she wishes!
    « Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 09:53:52 am by Ann in Arlington »
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline PraiseGod13

• Iowa
    • <'///>< Member #54
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 09:59:37 am »
    Thanks, as always, for the excellent advice, Ann!  It's sounding to me like this is a lot more complicated than we wanted it to be or thought it was.... and we absolutely don't want to have to worry about getting in trouble when we certainly meant no harm.  Sounds like the best thing will be to get her her own account......

MaKK (K1) & Shemar (K3)

Offline Sunshine22

• San Diego
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 10:05:48 am »
    I vote for her own account too, along with an amazon gift certificate. 

We're probably getting my MIL a Kindle for Christmas, and I'll be sharing my account with her.  I think.  Not sure what she'll think of some of my collections  :D

KBoards.com

• Advertisement