Author Topic: I cannot post this on facebook so I must vent here.  (Read 2239 times)  

Offline caracara

• Texas
    • View Profile
Re: I cannot post this on facebook so I must vent here.
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2010, 08:02:52 pm »
Ah, the art of reading, and caring on a somewhat coherent conversation.  Actually I can only do that with books that I have already read... but it's nice to dream.

Surprisingly reading all of ya'lls rants has made me feel better because that makes so much sense. Thanks!
"Maybe we should develop a Crayola bomb as our next secret weapon. A happiness weapon... and cover the world with imagination." ~ Robert Fulghum
Stay Young! (or at least young at heart, my friends)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline kadac00

• Cedar Park, TX
      • View Profile
      • Duane Allan Clark Photography
    « Reply #26 on: September 27, 2010, 08:07:58 pm »
    ...unless you go to work and sing "the party don't stop" ...

Great! Now I'm singing it too!
    Me on Facebook and Twitter

Offline john_a_karr

• Raleigh and Wilmington, NC
    • write on
      • View Profile
      • John A. Karr, writer
    « Reply #27 on: September 27, 2010, 08:15:28 pm »
    Retirement....very, very good to me. ;D

And retired to Eastern NC, no less? If you are near the intracoastal waterway or the beach then you're living my dream and I'd like to have a slice myself.

Offline Meredith Sinclair

• Deep in the HEART of TEXAS
    • I am a TRUE Texas Girl...Missing My friend Dona...
      • View Profile
      • MySpace
    « Reply #28 on: September 27, 2010, 09:07:11 pm »
    There isn't a single day in my lunchroom that I get to sit quietly and read. My boss (and everybody else) have to ask me every time I'm in there, "watcha readin'?" I've been working on responses to that question and have been trying them out to see what I'll stick with:

Nothing, now...
    A book...
    War and Peace...
    Smut... Isn't it great that you can't tell from over there?

I also had one lady come by to interrupt me to tell me she thought the screen on my kindle is too small as well as the screen being too hard to see. My response was something along the lines of, it doesn't really matter if she thinks it's too small since she isn't the one reading it.

The best question I had was, "Is that an ipad?" Normally, this question wouldn't make me laugh, but I'm in IT... Must of us here are aware of technology. Apparently he wasn't.
    I have a thirty minute lunch... only 25 minutes when you figure in my restroom break, going to the front to punch out, unlocking the door to go back to the break room... and I usually can eat in 10 minutes, not huge lunches obviously... so I only get about 15 minutes of relaxation. AND invariably, someone asks, "whatcha eatin' today?" "Where did you get that?" (usually restaurant leftovers....) "whatcha cookin' tonight?" ... I am NOT antisocial but I do want SOME quiet! I thoroughly enjoy the person who comes in, smiles, heats up their food and quietly eats while I QUIETLY eat and THEN if they bring up something interesting that we may have in common...AWESOME!!!
    Just the way I would like it... is that asking too much?  ::)
    The Apprentice Diaries
    Hey, D'Lani Elliott is me!!! I helped Brendan write this book! Yay, Me!!

Offline 911jason

• Simi Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • Kindle Screensavers
    « Reply #29 on: September 28, 2010, 12:41:06 am »
    I'm in a very high stress job, so I use my lunch break (unpaid) to escape into another world and relax. Must of the people who try to strike conversations at lunch around here are only going to talk about work, which is NOT how I want to spend my break.

If somebody is genuinely interested in my kindle, I'll give a demo or even let them try it out. I've sold at least 3 this way.  ;)
    I have a thirty minute lunch... only 25 minutes when you figure in my restroom break, going to the front to punch out, unlocking the door to go back to the break room... and I usually can eat in 10 minutes, not huge lunches obviously... so I only get about 15 minutes of relaxation. AND invariably, someone asks, "whatcha eatin' today?" "Where did you get that?" (usually restaurant leftovers....) "whatcha cookin' tonight?" ... I am NOT antisocial but I do want SOME quiet! I thoroughly enjoy the person who comes in, smiles, heats up their food and quietly eats while I QUIETLY eat and THEN if they bring up something interesting that we may have in common...AWESOME!!!
    Just the way I would like it... is that asking too much?  ::)

Totally agree with both of you! If I'm sitting at work on a short break with my Kindle, I don't want to be interrupted for the most part. That seems to be simple manners... I don't usually just go up and start talking to someone who I can clearly see is very into their book. That said, away from work, I have no problem at all if someone wants to chat.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement