Author Topic: Is there a list of cover artists for hire anywhere?  (Read 8327 times)  

Offline daveconifer

• Atlantic City
    • View Profile
    • DaveConifer.com
Re: Is there a list of cover artists for hire anywhere?
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2010, 09:01:49 am »
MJ, I pride myself as bring the most affordable quality cover designer here with a flat rate of $50. It isn't determined by project, method, or customer, everyone has paid the same price. There's a thread of testimonials around here somewhere if anyone needs references...  ;)

Ronnell, what if I don't have a clue about what I want do do on the cover of my nearly-finished WIP?  Should I wait until I get said clue before rapping with you about it?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline kcmay

• Florida, USA
      • View Profile
      • KC May home page
    « Reply #26 on: November 07, 2010, 05:41:04 pm »
    Ronnell, what if I don't have a clue about what I want do do on the cover of my nearly-finished WIP?  Should I wait until I get said clue before rapping with you about it?
    IMO, Ronnell comes up with terrific designs based on your description of the story.

Offline mathewferguson

• Melbourne, Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: November 07, 2010, 07:15:22 pm »
    I've now written and edited and published a novel for Kindle, but have been holding back on doing my own cover art, and still resistant to it. I could do a decent job, but if hiring out for it is reasonably priced, why not save the time and effort and let a pro do it?

Is there a list somewhere of reasonable cover artists for hire?  

thanks,
    John

I represent 12 illustrators http://www.onthewall.com.au. It wouldn't be down at the $50 level though ...

I'm also having a new cover illustrated for The Blurting Beetles of Baloogo Loogo. I found that illustrator via ifreelance.com

Offline DaronFraley

• View Profile
      • Daron D. Fraley, Author
    « Reply #28 on: December 13, 2010, 04:08:25 pm »
    If you are a Fantasy / Sci-Fi writer, I would recommend Duncan Long. Go check out his gallery. Over a hundred, high quality pieces of art. And he does book covers, front only or full cover.

http://duncanlong.com/

Offline Julie Christensen

• View Profile
      • Julie Living The Dream
    « Reply #29 on: December 14, 2010, 02:13:25 pm »
    Jennifer Digman did my cover.  She is an artist and graphic designer in my town (Omaha).  I think she did a terrific job.  If you are interested, send me an email and I'll pass along her contact info.
    When a funny, but introverted woman embarks on a quest to find a man, humorous and heartbreaking events redirect her to a different path in life. When a literary agent is murdered in Brooklyn, Ruby Neptune, an aspiring writer, tries to solve the crime. Ruby Neptune returns to solve the murder of a banker. A woman living a quietly miserable existence suddenly learns what happiness could be, but a secret from her past could ruin everything.

Offline par2323

• Aurora, IL
      • View Profile
      • Patricia Rockwell Author
    « Reply #30 on: December 14, 2010, 03:34:50 pm »
    Scott Saunders of DesignStudio7 did the cover for my cozy mystery "Sounds of Murder."  I found him through www.crowdspring.com which is a site devoted to individuals searching for a designer (book cover or otherwise).  You present your idea and interested designers bid on your idea.  You get to see all of their ideas over a certain time period and then, ultimately, you choose your favorite design.

Patricia Rockwell

Pamela Barnes Acoustic Mysteries
    Essie Cobb Senior Sleuth Mysteries

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
    • Urban Fantasy, Fantasy, Humorous Mysteries
      • View Profile
      • Bear Mountain Books
    « Reply #31 on: February 13, 2012, 08:41:45 am »
    Wanted to post about  wonderful artist I worked with who provides some great backgrounds/photomanipulation:  Assnezana

She sells through this site:

http://www.jaguarwoman.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=62&fb_source=message

And here is her DeviantArt site:

http://assnezana.deviantart.com/#/d4oyhzh

She did the cover artwork for my story for Snitched, Snatched:

She generally sells just the backgrounds and leaves it up to you to add the text and/or make changes.  But her work has flair and is a bit unusual.  Her prices are extremely reasonable.  She can be found on Facebook or if you want her email, please contact me and I'll pass it along:

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/assnezana

Offline CampbellCabs

• View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: July 11, 2012, 05:39:51 am »
    I've now written and edited and published a novel for Kindle, but have been holding back on doing my own cover art, and still resistant to it. I could do a decent job, but if hiring out for it is reasonably priced, why not save the time and effort and let a pro do it?

Is there a list somewhere of reasonable cover artists for hire?  

thanks,
    John

Hi,

I'm a cover artist and very reasonably priced.  You can check my work out at: http://www.andrewcampbell.weebly.com

Andy

Offline Craig Halloran

• Entertaining mankind one page at a time.
      • View Profile
      • The Darkslayer Report
    « Reply #33 on: July 11, 2012, 01:47:21 pm »
    Great info here.  I've already checked out many of these designers and I'm pretty impressed with the prices.  Very reasonable for what looks to be good quality work.  

I like what I see from Ronnel, very talented.
    I like Streetlightgraphics too.
    Duncan Long would be one to consider, pretty expensive, but if I had the funds I'd consider it.  

Thanks for all of this great info kindleboarders!

« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 03:19:05 pm by Craig Halloran »

Offline Victorine

• Nebraska
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: July 11, 2012, 01:55:10 pm »
    My sister and I are designing pre-made book covers and selling them here: http://indiebookcovers.blogspot.com/

They are in the $35 to $100 range.
    Not What She Seems - A NYT's Bestseller

Now Available! Accidentally Married

Offline DD Graphix

• Columbia, MO
    • Web, Print, eBook Cover and Text Design & Layout
      • View Profile
      • DD Graphix
    « Reply #35 on: July 11, 2012, 02:06:56 pm »
    I'm a professional graphic designer who also does covers. When researching cover designers, be sure to look at their portfolio of work. You want a cover designer that has a contract (that protects both of you). Depending on what you want my covers are generally $60 to $130. No matter who you go with though, price should NEVER be the primary consideration. Your cover will make the difference in sales of your books. An amateur cover or a cover that does not properly convey the genre and feel of your book will ensure poor sales.

I haven't had time to post there for awhile but I do have a few links to some wonderful designers at my book cover blog, http://www.bookcoverblog.com. I also have some tips on cover design.

Robin Nuttall, DD Graphix Design. Cover and interior typography and design for epub and kindle. Web and print design. See more work on my website!

Offline WillemThomas

• View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: July 11, 2012, 03:03:59 pm »
    Check out Kipp's unique cover styles over at http://www.waywardsunstudio.com/art.htm - very professional service, too.

Willem Thomas

Offline 911jason

• Simi Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • Kindle Screensavers
    « Reply #37 on: July 12, 2012, 07:13:26 am »
    Best guy around is Ronnel D. Porter. His fee (last I checked, though he's in more demand lately) is only $50, flat fee.

[email protected]

He's a Kindleboarder...

I realize this is an almost 2-year old post, but back in those days, I could not have disagreed with you more. I didn't say anything because that wasn't my place, but all I remember about 95% of his covers back then was Times New Roman stretched vertically. Cover after cover.

Then I saw this thread resurrected and visited his website (http://ronnelldporter.wix.com/design) to see his recent work and HOLY COW has his work improved. Those are hands down the best looking, most professional covers I have seen from anyone on Kindleboards.

Where's the crow? I'll eat it.

Offline Griffin Hayes

• View Profile
      • Kindleboards Page
    « Reply #38 on: July 12, 2012, 08:19:01 am »
    I was just browsing through Ronnell's website and have to say he's got some awesome covers.

FREE!                                                   FREE!

Offline DD Graphix

• Columbia, MO
    • Web, Print, eBook Cover and Text Design & Layout
      • View Profile
      • DD Graphix
    « Reply #39 on: July 13, 2012, 01:09:19 pm »
    Not to be against Ronnell at all; but his covers are manipulated stock art. Nothing wrong with that; it's what I do as well. As long as people don't think they are getting totally original artwork/photography. I'm very clear about it in my discussion with authors. I do produce some original art, but mostly deal with manipulating clipart since that's the only way to give an author a good cover at a price they want to pay.

Robin Nuttall, DD Graphix Design. Cover and interior typography and design for epub and kindle. Web and print design. See more work on my website!

Offline Janet Michelson

• Midwest
    • Uncanny chalk likeness of me.
      • View Profile
      • jm-editing
    « Reply #40 on: July 13, 2012, 03:11:47 pm »
    Bookmarking this page. Thank you John.

FREELANCE EDITING      www.jm-editing.com
    Janet Michelson

Offline George Berger

• no longer welcome here
      • View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: July 13, 2012, 07:02:47 pm »
    I've not added anything recently, but there's an ongoing list of deviantART users who do affordable cover (or in a few cases interior...) illustrations in various styles. A couple that I know folks here on KB have used in the past are LittleMeesh, Nephan/Char Marie, Kek19/Karri, and Nessamh, and undoubtedly others...

Offline CraigInOregon

• Oregon
    • Novelist
      • View Profile
      • Craig-Hasen.com
    « Reply #42 on: July 14, 2012, 01:08:50 am »
    My husband and I just opened up our doors here on KB, as well.  He's the graphic designer, I'm the editor.  You can check out his portfolio at www.streetlightgraphics.com.  He's the designer who did my covers.  He can do original artwork, stock photos or a blend of the two.  There are several artists we work with in the comic book industry locally whom he can tap for the original artwork, and since most of them are just starting to branch out into professional work, they're very reasonable about pricing.  Glendon's (my husband's) pricing is done on a per-customer basis, and is very affordable. 

If you like what you see at his website, just click on the contact tab and you can email him through there. 

Streetlight  Graphics is my cover designer of choice since MOST LIKELY, my first book, debuted about 14 months ago.

I've found their designs to be highly pleasing.
    « Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 02:07:34 pm by CraigInOregon »
    I believe the road to hell is paved with adverbs, and I will shout it from the rooftops. -Stephen King

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
      • View Profile
      • Bear Mountain Books
    « Reply #43 on: May 14, 2014, 08:58:25 am »
    I'm currently doing a feature on my blog and highlighting a few artists.   I have about three planned.  I do these features periodically, usually when I have a high number of emails asking me about artwork or where/who to hire for artwork:

www.BearMountainBooks.com

The first feature is up as today's post.  I'll be posting every other day on the topic or thereabouts.   If you have any questions for any of the artists, feel free to comment on the blog post.  Most of the artists are very good about answering questions!

Maria

Offline Melody Simmons

• View Profile
      • Bookcoverscre8tive
    « Reply #44 on: May 14, 2014, 10:58:42 am »
    You were asking of a list - check out the Kboards Yellow Pages:

https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,123703.0.html

(I'm listed there too - Melody Simmons.  I do photomanipulation.)

Melody

Offline [email protected]

• Cover Designer
      • View Profile
      • Cover Shot Creations
    « Reply #45 on: May 14, 2014, 10:34:39 pm »
    Wow, this post is a blast from the past. Dodge the dead links as best you can. :P

Cover Shot Creations Website | Facebook Group | Facebook Page | Deviantart

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
      • View Profile
      • Bear Mountain Books
    « Reply #46 on: May 15, 2014, 05:44:45 am »
    I'm not on this area of Kb much anymore and since I'm interviewing the artists rather than trying to add them to a master list, I didn't know where to put the thread.  I hate creating new ones when there is already one that will do!

Melody, I actually emailed you via your form about this project, but never heard back.  (I know you might just be busy, but in case that wasn't the case, you might want to make sure your form is working?)

TODAY, the FABULOUS John Dotegowski is my guest.  This guy can DRAW.   An absolutely AMAZING artist.

www.bearmountainbooks.com

Offline Melody Simmons

• View Profile
      • Bookcoverscre8tive
    « Reply #47 on: May 15, 2014, 06:01:16 am »
    I'm not on this area of Kb much anymore and since I'm interviewing the artists rather than trying to add them to a master list, I didn't know where to put the thread.  I hate creating new ones when there is already one that will do!

Melody, I actually emailed you via your form about this project, but never heard back.  (I know you might just be busy, but in case that wasn't the case, you might want to make sure your form is working?)

TODAY, the FABULOUS John Dotegowski is my guest.  This guy can DRAW.   An absolutely AMAZING artist.

www.bearmountainbooks.com

Sorry - My contact form is admittedly not the best and most reliable, that is why I started posting my email address on every page of my [email protected]

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
      • View Profile
      • Bear Mountain Books
    « Reply #48 on: May 15, 2014, 06:12:44 am »
    Ah.  That's a bit of a problem! 

Just a side note:  When I query an artist for artwork or whatever, I've had the best luck with those who get back to me within a week and I use that initial contact to help me determine if they are on top of the business and how responsive they are likely to be.  I'm probably hyper critical about it, but the ones who have taken even two or more emails to get back to me tend to be the ones who later are slow or late with deliverables...granted I was querying about the blog interview, so in this case I just was busy and had already gotten close to what I needed anyway so I didn't bother to try again.  But I probably wouldn't have tried again had I been querying for art either...

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
      • View Profile
      • Bear Mountain Books
    « Reply #49 on: May 25, 2014, 08:04:43 am »
    Melody, maybe next time I do one of these, we can manage to get in contact with each other!

Meanwhile, I have a storyboard up of the cover I'm currently working on.  I don't sell cover work, but I do my own so I'm posting a bit about the process and where I buy my stock art, etc.

This will be a two-part series--today I'm showing some of the stock art and Tuesday I'll show how I've put it together.

Feel free to stop by and opine!

www.BearMountainBooks.com

KBoards.com

• Advertisement