Author Topic: Accessories Anonymous - Post your fun shopping finds here! Anything Goes!  (Read 697382 times)  

Offline julip

• My sweet English Staffy, aka "The Nanny Dog"
    • View Profile
Re: Accessories Anonymous - Post your fun shopping finds here! Anything Goes!
« Reply #125 on: October 16, 2010, 09:57:12 pm »
Neo - links please on the two steamers!  ;D I hate to iron but I will spend 20 minutes trying to smooth out one stubborn little wrinkle even when I know it will be back the moment I sit down, so I hear you on the perfectionist thing  :D I love the idea of a steamer but have never looked into one. What is it about the Jiffy that you like better than the Tobi?

Good luck on the Tassimo browsing  ;D. The Starbucks Espresso Roast t-discs are excellent too - too bad they only sell it in the packs of capp and latte.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline julip

• My sweet English Staffy, aka "The Nanny Dog"
      • View Profile
    « Reply #126 on: October 16, 2010, 10:01:59 pm »
    What fun that Skki would be!!

That's a Skki Trikke... it's the winter version of the Trikke:

That was my Spring I-have-to-have-it toy. Tons of fun.
    I think the Skki is going to be even more awesome...now watch the snow amounts be nonexistent this year...

Offline unknown2cherubim

• Lost in the Mighty Redwoods, No. Cal.
    • I'm a librarian, it is the best job on earth.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #127 on: October 16, 2010, 10:07:14 pm »
    Neo - links please on the two steamers!  ;D I hate to iron but I will spend 20 minutes trying to smooth out one stubborn little wrinkle even when I know it will be back the moment I sit down, so I hear you on the perfectionist thing  :D I love the idea of a steamer but have never looked into one. What is it about the Jiffy that you like better than the Tobi?
    <snipped>

Ditto on the steamer.  I keep thinking about getting one but the reviews put me off.  I do still need to iron for work.

Offline Candee15

• lynnbyer.wordpress.com
      • View Profile
      • My Blog
    « Reply #128 on: October 17, 2010, 06:05:30 am »
    And here I go, looking at the Tassimo now  ::)!... Please shoot me!!!!!

I know that many people don't really iron anymore, but I still do, especially for my work clothes. Except that I have switched from an iron to a steamer! It has truly changed my life, and I now do in 15mn every week what I used to do in 2 hours or so (granted, I was never a fast ironer, and a bit of a perfectionist -- my friends say I'm anal, but I prefer the term perfectionist  ;D). It also goes a long way in refreshing clothes in between trips to the dry cleaner!

I have a Tobi and I'm quite happy with it (although it seems to get a lot of negative reviews  ???). After 2 and a half years of good and faithful service, it is however tiring a bit. I am considering replacing it with a Jiffy somewhere down the line.

But I'm not going back to the iron, and I'm sticking with the steamer  :D

Add me to your list!  I gave up ironing a few years ago in favor of a garment steamer.  I have a Rowenta that I love.  It has definitely made my life easier!!!

Lynn Byer - Author of TROUBLE IN PARADISE, CHRISTMAS IN PARADISE, and DAISIES NEVER LIE

Offline Someone Nameless

• View Profile
    « Reply #129 on: October 17, 2010, 06:33:54 am »
    I have a steamer and I never use it.  I guess I'm not really sure HOW to use it for everything.  Mine is a Jiffy Steamer.  I was hanging things on a hook placed on a door and then I started worrying that doing that constantly would take the paint off the door.   ;D

I'd like to know more.  Do you hold the steamer right on the clothes?  Please give me a lesson in steaming clothes.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~ Groucho Marx

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #130 on: October 17, 2010, 07:03:07 am »
    I'll have to check the particulars when I get home later today, but I bought a new iron with a vertical steam function last week and it works fabulously.  I think it is a Shark.  Much easier to travel with than a separate steamer unit (which I also have).  It doesn't spit water, it looks like a regular iron, but continues to steam when held vertically and has a burst of steam function for stubborn wrinkles on hanging clothes or drapes.  I took it travelling the day after I bought it and it worked perfectly on formal dresses and DHs tuxedo when they came out of the suitcase.  I hold it just away from lighter fabrics like chiffon or satin, right against heavier fabrics like the tuxedo.

Offline Candee15

• lynnbyer.wordpress.com
      • View Profile
      • My Blog
    « Reply #131 on: October 17, 2010, 07:18:13 am »
    I have a steamer and I never use it.  I guess I'm not really sure HOW to use it for everything.  Mine is a Jiffy Steamer.  I was hanging things on a hook placed on a door and then I started worrying that doing that constantly would take the paint off the door.   ;D

I'd like to know more.  Do you hold the steamer right on the clothes?  Please give me a lesson in steaming clothes.

I have one of these.

It works great.  I can't remember the brand we had before, but I hated that one.  This works like a charm.  Yes, I put the hanger over the door in my bathroom, but I haven't had a problem with it.  I wouldn't say that much steam hits the door itself.  I am always moving the wand and steaming the clothing.  Remember, the back of the dress, shirt, whatever, it another layer of protection.  It's just really handy for me!
    Lynn Byer - Author of TROUBLE IN PARADISE, CHRISTMAS IN PARADISE, and DAISIES NEVER LIE

Offline lonestar

• View Profile
    « Reply #132 on: October 17, 2010, 07:51:14 am »
    I am seriously considering the Clarisonic skin care system.  Yikes!  These boards have enabled me into a K3, a Vera Bradley bag, 4 Fossil bags already.

I shouldn't but I probably will.  I'm looking at the model that has a body brush.  I know I would love that.

About the Tassimo- anyone that has one- can we use well water in it.  I have purchased so many coffee makers including the Keurig.  It worked for a time then began leaking water.  I found out through research that well water should not be used.  That's what we have- well water.  The Keurig also did not make what we consider hot coffee.  We love the single cup concept but have had several with no luck.  Would appreciate comments on the Tassimo.

Happy shopping everyone.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 09:17:29 am by Harvey »

Offline Kindled Spirit

• View Profile
    « Reply #133 on: October 17, 2010, 08:05:46 am »
    I am seriously considering the Clarisonic skin care system.  Yikes!  These boards have enabled me into a K3, a Vera Bradley bag, 4 Fossil bags already.

I shouldn't but I probably will.  I'm looking at the model that has a body brush.  I know I would love that.

About the Tassimo- anyone that has one- can we use well water in it.  I have purchased so many coffee makers including the Keurig.  It worked for a time then began leaking water.  I found out through research that well water should not be used.  That's what we have- well water.  The Keurig also did not make what we consider hot coffee.  We love the single cup concept but have had several with no luck.  Would appreciate comments on the Tassimo.

Happy shopping everyone.

I read on a Tassimo forum where someone said they had well water and also had a water softener. They said they could not use the water than ran through the softener. They bought a Brita water filter...pitcher..and use that, or bottled water. So I would say if you want a Tassimo buy a Brita water pitcher and just use that instead of buying bottled water. Hope that helps.
    "1000th person to post on the AA thread"

Offline Candee15

• lynnbyer.wordpress.com
      • View Profile
      • My Blog
    « Reply #134 on: October 17, 2010, 08:27:26 am »
    Still onTassimo ... because I think I'm going to buy one today or tomorrow ...

I'm leaning seriously towards the Tassimo T-20.  I think the T-45 has a larger water reserve (which I don't need since I'm the only coffee drinker in the house) and a water filter.  We have a filter on our refrigerator, and I always use that water.

That being said (well, that being written), are there any other important differences between the two models?  Thanks!!!

« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 09:18:54 am by Harvey »

Offline Neo

• View Profile
    « Reply #135 on: October 17, 2010, 08:31:59 am »
    Sorry about the late reply guys! I posted last night and went to bed, exhausted (too much virtual shopping, lol).

Anyway, right now, I have the Tobi:

As you will see, the reviews are all exceptionally bad! There must be some kind of quality inconsistency or people are just not doing things right, because I never had any of the problems all those folks seemed to have! I bought mine at Bed Bath and Beyond at the time.

To learn how to use it, I simply followed the instruction provided on the demo video on the Tobi website - which now that I'm looking for it to link it here seems to have completely disappeared (hem, that can't be good!!!!). However, the infomertial also shows how to use it and can be viewed on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCPkqlLwhlE

What I have learned through practice: it works better for me when I steam clothes from the inside. And while you can't burn/scorch any clothes (that's one of the big pluses: works on EVERY type of fabric), you can definitely burn yourself with the super hot steam!!!!! I've always hug all clothes on a hanger which I then hang to the Tobi hook thingy where the nozzle also rests.

I am now considering the Jiffy:

The reason I'm considering the Jiffy instead of the Tobi now, is that if I'm already so in love with the product everybody else seems to hate according to the reviews, I figure I will be totally delirious with the Jiffy which gets so many glowing reviews, lol  :D! I know, totally rational, right  ::)...

Hope this helps and answers some of the questions  :)
    « Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 09:20:08 am by Harvey »

Offline Someone Nameless

• View Profile
    « Reply #136 on: October 17, 2010, 08:39:31 am »
    So, it looks like you DO hold it right to the clothes, not slightly away from it!
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~ Groucho Marx

Offline angelmum3

• View Profile
    « Reply #137 on: October 17, 2010, 08:50:39 am »
    Not sure how good this is (will you be spammed for instance?)  but thought I'd share just the same!

www.winfreekcups.com

Free K-Cups for life ~ Grand Prize
    Keurig Platinum B70 Brewer ~ A winner every month
    One Box of K-Cups ~ A winner every day
    One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
    Helen Keller

Offline Kindled Spirit

• View Profile
    « Reply #138 on: October 17, 2010, 08:51:23 am »
    Still onTassimo ... because I think I'm going to buy one today or tomorrow ...

I'm leaning seriously towards the T-20.  I think the T-45 has a larger water reserve (which I don't need since I'm the only coffee drinker in the house) and a water filter.  We have a filter on our refrigerator, and I always use that water.

That being said (well, that being written), are there any other important differences between the two models?  Thanks!!!

I can't think of any...I love my T-20. I'd say just read the manual and follow the instructions. I try to always do everything step by step as I read it. It's really simple. Just the first time you use it you just run a tank of water through and that's it. There's a light that will tell you when to refill the tank and one that will tell you when it's time to descale. I bought a box of something called Cleancaf at BB&B. It's a cleaner to use occasionally to prevent scale from occurring. I would say  maybe use that once a month to keep it clean. I haven't had to use it yet since I've only had my machine a week or so. It also comes with what's called a T-disc cleaner. It's a little plastic disc that stores in the back of the machine that has a barcode on it. Use  that about once a week to keep the bar code scanner clean. You just put it in where a t-disc goes and run a couple cycles of water through with no t-disc in. It's really not hard at all. Just read your manual. Still to me a lot easier than messing with filters and coffee grounds and washing a pot. :D

Offline Candee15

• lynnbyer.wordpress.com
      • View Profile
      • My Blog
    « Reply #139 on: October 17, 2010, 08:58:49 am »
    I can't think of any...I love my T-20. I'd say just read the manual and follow the instructions. I try to always do everything step by step as I read it. It's really simple. Just the first time you use it you just run a tank of water through and that's it. There's a light that will tell you when to refill the tank and one that will tell you when it's time to descale. I bought a box of something called Cleancaf at BB&B. It's a cleaner to use occasionally to prevent scale from occurring. I would say  maybe use that once a month to keep it clean. I haven't had to use it yet since I've only had my machine a week or so. It also comes with what's called a T-disc cleaner. It's a little plastic disc that stores in the back of the machine that has a barcode on it. Use  that about once a week to keep the bar code scanner clean. You just put it in where a t-disc goes and run a couple cycles of water through with no t-disc in. It's really not hard at all. Just read your manual. Still to me a lot easier than messing with filters and coffee grounds and washing a pot. :D

Thanks.  I'm sold.  I've been making instant coffee (yes, you can cringe) because we have an instant boiling water unit in our kitchen sink.  I have FINALLY gotten absolutely sick of instant coffee.  The only thing it has going for it is it's extremely easy....but I don't like the taste.

Offline Neo

• View Profile
    « Reply #140 on: October 17, 2010, 09:12:20 am »
    So, it looks like you DO hold it right to the clothes, not slightly away from it!

Yes, totally! Actually, when steaming from the inside, I hold it right to the clothes, and slightly pull on the bottom of the garment with the other hand: I then just glide the nozzle up and down the fabric from the inside. The nozzle being against the fabric actually helps maintaining the "tension" or rather keeps it straight (if you know what I mean) and helps getting the wrinkles out in a faster and easier way.

Offline Candee15

• lynnbyer.wordpress.com
      • View Profile
      • My Blog
    « Reply #141 on: October 17, 2010, 09:26:52 am »
    Yes, totally! Actually, when steaming from the inside, I hold it right to the clothes, and slightly pull on the bottom of the garment with the other hand: I then just glide the nozzle up and down the fabric from the inside. The nozzle being against the fabric actually helps maintaining the "tension" or rather keeps it straight (if you know what I mean) and helps getting the wrinkles out in a faster and easier way.

That's exactly what I do, too <g>.

Offline Kindled Spirit

• View Profile
    « Reply #142 on: October 17, 2010, 09:49:09 am »

Thanks.  I'm sold.  I've been making instant coffee (yes, you can cringe) because we have an instant boiling water unit in our kitchen sink.  I have FINALLY gotten absolutely sick of instant coffee.  The only thing it has going for it is it's extremely easy....but I don't like the taste.

Well I will say the Tassimo isn't quite as easy as the boiling water thingy, but I'm sure it tastes better. :D Oh I forgot to add, when you register your machine, either by calling them, which is what I did, or doing it online....there is a code in your paperwork. You give them the # and you receive 2 free boxes of T-discs of your choice. You can go to tassimo.com and see all their t-disc choices and decide which ones you want. :)

Offline Candee15

• lynnbyer.wordpress.com
      • View Profile
      • My Blog
    « Reply #143 on: October 17, 2010, 10:06:29 am »
    Well I will say the Tassimo isn't quite as easy as the boiling water thingy, but I'm sure it tastes better. :D Oh I forgot to add, when you register your machine, either by calling them, which is what I did, or doing it online....there is a code in your paperwork. You give them the # and you receive 2 free boxes of T-discs of your choice. You can go to tassimo.com and see all their t-disc choices and decide which ones you want. :)
    [/quote

FREE T-discs! That's exciting. Thanks for telling me about that.

Offline Addie

• Texas
    • Hook 'em! <3
      • View Profile
    « Reply #144 on: October 17, 2010, 01:27:00 pm »
    I already have a Keurig mini, so I don't think I want a Tassimo. It does sound great, though. Does the Tassimo have the option of using your own coffee? I use the My KCup accessory almost exclusively now. I like that I brew only one cup, but using the My KCup accessory so often does kind of defeat the point of Keurig's simple-use feature. I'm just difficult, I suppose. ;D I definitely think I want to add the Nespresso to my countertop. I was supposed to go take a look at one at Sur la Table when I was in Austin, but I ran out of time. I'm going back to Austin next week, though, so I'll probably check it out then.

And I'll probably get a Clarisonic some time soon because it sounds fantastic. Carry on! Or perhaps I should say, "Stop posting! You're all making me buy things!"
    "No man ever steps into the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
    -Heraclitus

Offline Kindled Spirit

• View Profile
    « Reply #145 on: October 17, 2010, 03:39:03 pm »
    I already have a Keurig mini, so I don't think I want a Tassimo. It does sound great, though. Does the Tassimo have the option of using your own coffee? I use the My KCup accessory almost exclusively now. I like that I brew only one cup, but using the My KCup accessory so often does kind of defeat the point of Keurig's simple-use feature. I'm just difficult, I suppose. ;D I definitely think I want to add the Nespresso to my countertop. I was supposed to go take a look at one at Sur la Table when I was in Austin, but I ran out of time. I'm going back to Austin next week, though, so I'll probably check it out then.

And I'll probably get a Clarisonic some time soon because it sounds fantastic. Carry on! Or perhaps I should say, "Stop posting! You're all making me buy things!"

No, you can only use the T-discs in the Tassimo. The T-discs have a bar code and the Tassimo reads it. That's how it knows what kind of drink you are making...for instance if you are doing an espresso, then it stops at the 3oz. size. The Nespresso only uses capsules purchased through nespresso.com. It does espressos and lungos. But it is fantastic. You will love it!

And the Clarasonic is great! :)
    « Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 03:40:51 pm by Kindled Spirit »

Offline hsuthard

• Honolulu, HI
      • View Profile
      • Suthard, Party of Five
    « Reply #146 on: October 17, 2010, 03:51:28 pm »
    FYI, I have the Jiffy steamer and love it! The model i have has a wood/metal handle, though.it's nice because the metal heats way up and can act as an iron on stubborn spots.
    -- Holly.

The more we live, the more beautiful we are.

Offline Ruby296

• View Profile
    « Reply #147 on: October 17, 2010, 05:35:37 pm »
    I bought the Clarisonic Mia at Aspen Leaf Spa last night....read so many great reviews and I can't wait till it arrives!
    « Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 12:46:30 pm by Harvey »

Offline lonestar

• View Profile
    « Reply #148 on: October 17, 2010, 06:29:11 pm »
    I just bought the Clarisonic with the body brush.  Might have to get rid of my computer- the bought list is getting longer and longer.

Offline Neo

• View Profile
    « Reply #149 on: October 17, 2010, 06:31:27 pm »
    Ruby: I'm on Clarisonic Mia watch with you!!! But I went with Amazon as I'm partial to white  :D

Lonestar, which one did you get? Links please  ;D

KBoards.com

• Advertisement