Author Topic: I need your advice on Print on Demand  (Read 5641 times)  

Offline Daphne

• England
  • Author of the Claresby and Pendlehurst mysteries
    • View Profile
Re: I need your advice on Print on Demand
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2010, 12:22:53 pm »
I think the proper term for me is "anal retentive."  ;)

I think the proper term for me is "Impressionist" - "You get the impression she was trying to.....(fill in as applicable)"

Daphne Coleridge

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: October 16, 2010, 12:25:56 pm »
    Thank you all once again for the great input.  I have decided to go with 6X9 which reduces the page count significantly over 5.5X8.5.  the extra page costs were a killer and I would have to charge something like $20 to even get a royalty in Extended Distribution. 

The margins I used were 1" top, 1" bottom and 0.75 on each side.  Is that O.K.?

You have to do it differently for a paper book because of the gluing.

Mirrored Margins
    Top .25
    Bottom .25
    Inside .75
    Outside .25
    Footer .2
    Gutter 0"

Don't forget to put in page numbers.

Offline Philip Chen

• I'm older, but wiser still hasn't kicked in.
      • View Profile
      • Falling Star
    « Reply #27 on: October 16, 2010, 12:31:57 pm »
    I offered to sign your Kindle   ;D

Offline MosesSiregarIII

• Prescott, AZ (6,300 feet, cold)
    • Writer, Reader, Conquerer
      • View Profile
      • Moses and Dionysus Walk Into a Bar ...
    « Reply #28 on: October 16, 2010, 12:40:08 pm »
    Your publisher would get a new ISBN. This happens all the time. It's not a problem. Your publisher would have you withdraw the book from Amazon and Create Space and then reissue it with their ISBN.

I'm referring to something else. Sales are tracked via ISBNs. If it turns out that your last book sold 40 copies, then major bookstore chains will be a lot less inclined to stock your book, if you get published traditionally in the future.

But is that an issue when you use CS's ISBNs?
    Author of The Black God's War

Fantasy Book Critic Review | FantasyBookReview.co.uk | 5 Stars from MotherLode

"Moses is a fine writer deserving of success and I think that it will follow. I really enjoyed Mosess work." -NYT Bestselling Author David Farland

Blog: Moses and Dionysus Walk Into a Bar ...

TwitterFacebook | GoodReads

Offline David Derrico

• South Florida
    • My Kindle is my friend.
      • View Profile
      • Novels by David Derrico
    « Reply #29 on: October 16, 2010, 12:52:20 pm »
    The last time I checked, CS wouldn't pay until you reached $150 and that was just in the last couple of weeks. I have yet to receive a check or a direct deposit and I've definitely made more than $20.

From CreateSpace:

Minimum Payment Amounts

Your royalties must meet a minimum payment amount before well send your earnings. If they dont, we'll keep a running total and once the amount exceeds the threshold, we'll make a payment at the end of that month:
    If youre paid by direct deposit, your minimum payment amount is $20.
    If you live in the U.S. and youre paid by check, your minimum payment amount is $28.
    If you live outside the U.S. and youre paid by check, your minimum payment amount is $20.

https://www.createspace.com/Help/Index.jsp?cid=02n70000000DfLw&orgId=00D300000001Sh9

Click on "Royalties" and then "Getting Paid."

I've definitely been paid regularly in increments under $150. I use direct deposit. If you're set up to get payments by check, you might have to request a payment (and pay the $8 check fee). Hope this helps.

Right Ascension & Declination, thought-provoking, action/adventure sci-fi.
     The Twiller, humorous sci-fi (Red Adept Reviews: 4.75 stars).

Each is a Top 1,000 Amazon Kindle bestseller, for just $2.99
     Reviews, excerpts, & my blog can be found at www.davidderrico.com.

Offline Brendan Carroll

• Texas
    • Only a fool can rule the world.
      • View Profile
      • Brendan Carroll
    « Reply #30 on: October 16, 2010, 01:15:03 pm »
    I offered to sign your Kindle   ;D

Are you talking to me?  Are you talking to me?  Someone else already signed my Kindle.  A little girl with a crayon!! >:( Thank God I have a screen protector. :D

Offline Philip Chen

• View Profile
      • Falling Star
    « Reply #31 on: October 16, 2010, 01:40:16 pm »
    Brendan,

Obviously a future writer who understands the importance of book signings even in the eBook era!

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: October 16, 2010, 03:56:15 pm »
    From CreateSpace:

https://www.createspace.com/Help/Index.jsp?cid=02n70000000DfLw&orgId=00D300000001Sh9

Click on "Royalties" and then "Getting Paid."

I've definitely been paid regularly in increments under $150. I use direct deposit. If you're set up to get payments by check, you might have to request a payment (and pay the $8 check fee). Hope this helps.

Thanks, David. I definitely have royalties coming in that case. I'll contact CS to find out what's happening.

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: October 16, 2010, 03:59:12 pm »
    I'm referring to something else. Sales are tracked via ISBNs. If it turns out that your last book sold 40 copies, then major bookstore chains will be a lot less inclined to stock your book, if you get published traditionally in the future.

But is that an issue when you use CS's ISBNs?

I guess I'm not understanding your question. If you're going through a trad pub, it's their job to get you into bookstores. Their isbn is going to be different than Create Space's isbn and you won't be allowed to sell through Amazon or Create Space, probably several months before they republish you.

Boyd Morrison (The Ark (now The Rogue Wave), The Palmyra Impact, The Adamas Blueprint) was picked up by Simon and Schuster after selling through Amazon and a POD, probably Create Space. There never seemed to be any difficulty with the switchover.
    « Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 04:01:05 pm by Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake' »

Offline Gordon Ryan

• New Zealand
    • Generational Freedom
      • View Profile
      • Author Gordon Ryan
    « Reply #34 on: October 16, 2010, 05:18:05 pm »
    Phil, I tried to post something here earlier, but had to run out and it looks as if it did not post.  So I sent you a PDF of my latest Create Space work, so you could see how it looks.  I use Adobe Garamond Pro, 12.5 with 15 leading.  11 is a bit small, and the unusual fonts are not that eye pleasing to read lengthy (which Falling Star certainly is) books.  Have a look and if I can help, I certainly will.  I use Adobe InDesign, CS 4, to typeset.  Very professional look and in the hands of someone more creative than me, even better.

Forgot to mention I have all ten of my novels republished on CS.  It is working just fine.  Not excellent sales, and they do not compare with Kindle, but worth having.  If I lived in the US, I would order some to sell at book signings, etc., but not here in New Zealand.

Cheers,

Gordon Ryan
    "A writer of skill and originality." Midwest Book Review
                   as exciting as anything produced by Clancy.

Woodland Daily Democrat

| | | |

Offline MosesSiregarIII

• View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: October 16, 2010, 08:16:20 pm »
    I guess I'm not understanding your question. If you're going through a trad pub, it's their job to get you into bookstores. Their isbn is going to be different than Create Space's isbn and you won't be allowed to sell through Amazon or Create Space, probably several months before they republish you.

Boyd Morrison (The Ark (now The Rogue Wave), The Palmyra Impact, The Adamas Blueprint) was picked up by Simon and Schuster after selling through Amazon and a POD, probably Create Space. There never seemed to be any difficulty with the switchover.

This blog post from Kristen Nelson, a literary agent, explains the issue:

An ISBN That Could Hurt

Here's the most relevant part:

Heres something to keep in mind though (besides the fact that self published books need solid marketing efforts to succeed). Self-published books (through Lulu or similar) are assigned an ISBNa sales identifier for that work. And heres where the ISBN could hurt you. Once a book has an ISBN, then sales of that book can be tracked on Bookscan. If the books sell thousands and thousands of copies, not a problem but if the book sells only 20 copies, this could potentially make the road to traditional publishing more difficult. Editors often check Bookscan when considering previously published writers. Book Buyers at the major chains are looking at these numbers as well.

If the sales record is strong, no big deal; if its not, those low sales could create a roadblock unless the writer is willing to change his/her name to start with a clean slate.

Im putting this out there because I imagine a lot of writers contemplating this route might not have considered the potential ISBN trap.

I'm wondering if using an ISBN generated by CreateSpace could have this same sort of problem. I'm guessing so, but I don't know. That's why I was thinking of not even selling my CreateSpace novella on Amazon or in the CS store.

"Moses is a fine writer deserving of success and I think that it will follow. I really enjoyed Mosess work." -NYT Bestselling Author David Farland

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: October 16, 2010, 08:22:45 pm »
    This blog post from Kristen Nelson, a literary agent, explains the issue:

An ISBN That Could Hurt

Here's the most relevant part:

I'm wondering if using an ISBN generated by CreateSpace could have this same sort of problem. I'm guessing so, but I don't know. That's why I was thinking of not even selling my CreateSpace novella on Amazon or in the CS store.

If it's tracked by ISBN, there shouldn't be a problem. The publisher has to have a new ISBN for your work. They can't use the Create Space ISBN. Plus, you can change the name of your book which Boyd Morrison did with The Ark when he was picked up by S&S. It's now Rogue Wave. 

Honestly, I don't see a problem. If you're selling thousands of books without a trad publisher, why do you need one? If you've only sold 20 books, no publisher is going to pick you up.

Your print book has a limited shelf life with a trad pub. On Amazon and Create Space, it's there forever.

Offline MosesSiregarIII

• View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: October 16, 2010, 08:56:05 pm »
    If it's tracked by ISBN, there shouldn't be a problem. The publisher has to have a new ISBN for your work. They can't use the Create Space ISBN. Plus, you can change the name of your book which Boyd Morrison did with The Ark when he was picked up by S&S. It's now Rogue Wave. 

Honestly, I don't see a problem. If you're selling thousands of books without a trad publisher, why do you need one? If you've only sold 20 books, no publisher is going to pick you up.

Your print book has a limited shelf life with a trad pub. On Amazon and Create Space, it's there forever.

There is a potential problem here if you want to keep your options open for traditional publishing. I don't know if I want to be traditionally published, but I do like keeping that option open.

In my case, let's say I put my novella up for sale as a CreateSpace book. Maybe I buy 50 copies by myself to give out to  reviewers and beta readers, and for hand-selling. Then maybe another 50 random people buy it off Amazon. Note: the hypothetical 100 sales would be on the novella that I have out there, not the full novel, but it could certainly be confusing because the title starts with the same words: The Black God's War.

According to that post from Kristen Nelson, editors considering buying my novel might look up me and the book's title via Bookscan and see those 100 sales for the novella, then reject my novel.

Or, if I were to have a publisher someday, even for another book, the major bookstore chains could do the same thing. They might see those 100 sales to my name and then decide not to carry my novel, or not carry enough copies in their stores.

The fact that they use a new ISBN when they publish the book doesn't change any of this. Nor does changing the title of the book do the trick if you use the same name as an author (you can still be looked up by author name). The issue is having people look up the sales numbers you had while the work was self-published.

"If you've only sold 20 books, no publisher is going to pick you up." Right, and that's the problem. When I publish my novel next year (Universe willing), I'll use either CreateSpace or LSI and just accept the consequences of the sales record on the ISBN. But for this novella, I would only expect to sell a small number of copies anyway, and I wouldn't want to hurt my chances with traditional publishing. And I do not want to have to use a pen name later on just because I self-published a novella and the sales weren't in the thousands.

Offline MosesSiregarIII

• View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: October 16, 2010, 09:01:58 pm »
    So here are two questions I have about this:

1) If I buy copies of my novella directly from CreateSpace, and the work isn't ever for sale on Amazon or the CS store, are those sales still trackable via the ISBN? I guess I need to call CS and ask them that.

2) When using a CreateSpace-generated ISBN, do the sales stick to the ISBN just the same as if I had supplied my own ISBN? I think the answer to this is yes, but I'm not 100% sure. I'll probably call CS and ask them that, too.

The work-around for this, then, (I think) would be to only order proof copies for yourself. You can buy those proof copies 5 at a time, then change something about the interior file, then order 5 more proof copies, rinse, repeat. Then I would think you either wouldn't show up via Bookscan, or you'd show up with 0 sales and that would have to look fishy enough that no one would really care about it.

Offline Maria Romana

• NC, USA
    • ...should be working on WIP...
      • View Profile
      • Research Triangle Publications
    « Reply #39 on: October 16, 2010, 09:48:33 pm »
    Hey Phil,

Just wanted to chime in on two points. 

1) I, too, am a bit long-winded, er, very thorough (and anal-retentive, but that's a topic for another thread :)).  My book is 180K words; the first pass at the paper version with page titles & numbers and full justification was over 500 pages.  Way too long & expensive.  I used a smaller font and narrower margins, but stuck to the 8.5 x 5.5 size.  That got me down to 367 pages, much more reasonable and manageable.  Yes, the page would be more inviting if the font were bigger, and there was more blank space, but IMHO, it looks pretty darn spiffy.

2) The cover file creator on their site enables you to use ordinary graphics files, like jpg's.  I used the template that allows you to upload one image for the front and another for the back.  It was a piece of cake to use.  I did not have a full 300 DPI image for the front as recommended, however, and it came out looking crummy, but the back, which was 300 DPI, looks great.  Needless to say, I redid the front and sent off for a new proof. 

I think the higher prices certainly put people off buying them, but when you actually see the books, you understand the price.  The paper and covers are thick and sharp-looking, not like the newsprint of a mass market paperback, and the type, even at my dinky 9.5 pt size, is still bigger than those Wal-Mart bestsellers.

--Maria

Offline Philip Chen

• View Profile
      • Falling Star
    « Reply #40 on: October 17, 2010, 12:36:49 am »
    Hey Phil,

Just wanted to chime in on two points. 

1) I, too, am a bit long-winded, er, very thorough (and anal-retentive, but that's a topic for another thread :)).  My book is 180K words; the first pass at the paper version with page titles & numbers and full justification was over 500 pages.  Way too long & expensive.  I used a smaller font and narrower margins, but stuck to the 8.5 x 5.5 size.  That got me down to 367 pages, much more reasonable and manageable.  Yes, the page would be more inviting if the font were bigger, and there was more blank space, but IMHO, it looks pretty darn spiffy.

2) The cover file creator on their site enables you to use ordinary graphics files, like jpg's.  I used the template that allows you to upload one image for the front and another for the back.  It was a piece of cake to use.  I did not have a full 300 DPI image for the front as recommended, however, and it came out looking crummy, but the back, which was 300 DPI, looks great.  Needless to say, I redid the front and sent off for a new proof. 

I think the higher prices certainly put people off buying them, but when you actually see the books, you understand the price.  The paper and covers are thick and sharp-looking, not like the newsprint of a mass market paperback, and the type, even at my dinky 9.5 pt size, is still bigger than those Wal-Mart bestsellers.

--Maria

Thanks, Maria.

How did you know that I was struggling with the font size at this very moment?  I am currently using Schoolbook 11pt and am thinking about Garamond.  I'm very tempted to leave it at Schoolbook, because to get the "readibility" up to my level, someone who needs reading glasses, it needs to be a large enough and open enough typeface.

Offline Philip Chen

• View Profile
      • Falling Star
    « Reply #41 on: October 17, 2010, 12:41:44 am »
    Phil, I tried to post something here earlier, but had to run out and it looks as if it did not post.  So I sent you a PDF of my latest Create Space work, so you could see how it looks.  I use Adobe Garamond Pro, 12.5 with 15 leading.  11 is a bit small, and the unusual fonts are not that eye pleasing to read lengthy (which Falling Star certainly is) books.  Have a look and if I can help, I certainly will.  I use Adobe InDesign, CS 4, to typeset.  Very professional look and in the hands of someone more creative than me, even better.

Forgot to mention I have all ten of my novels republished on CS.  It is working just fine.  Not excellent sales, and they do not compare with Kindle, but worth having.  If I lived in the US, I would order some to sell at book signings, etc., but not here in New Zealand.

Cheers,

Gordon Ryan

Thanks, Gordon.

I always follow the advice of my elders and have been struggling with typeface since you wrote me.  Garamond 12.5 seems to be too small even for me (about the same as Schoolbook 11).  I need to think about the right typeface (Font).

Phil

Offline Daphne

• England
      • View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: October 17, 2010, 01:03:54 am »
    Sorry to hop in on this thread from the other end of this process - but I recently approved the proof of mine and received an email saying it would be available "soon". Can anyone tell me how long it took for their book to appear for sale after the proof was approved? Also, is there a good way to promote paperbacks, as I've concentrated on Kindle until now. Thanks.

Daphne Coleridge

Offline Gordon Ryan

• New Zealand
    • Generational Freedom
      • View Profile
      • Author Gordon Ryan
    « Reply #43 on: October 17, 2010, 02:26:05 am »

I always follow the advice of my elders and have been struggling with typeface since you wrote me.  Garamond 12.5 seems to be too small even for me (about the same as Schoolbook 11).  I need to think about the right typeface (Font).

Phil

Phil, Falling Star is a dynamic story.  It is not going to be read ONLY by old farts.  Garamond 12.5 is quite large enough for most people, even those with reading glasses.  But, if you are going for the Large Print Edition Reader's Digest version, then I understand.  I was just offering to help with the typesetting if you so choose.  You would choose the font face and size.

Gordon Ryan

Woodland Daily Democrat

| | | |

Offline Gordon Ryan

• New Zealand
    • Generational Freedom
      • View Profile
      • Author Gordon Ryan
    « Reply #44 on: October 17, 2010, 02:29:02 am »
    Sorry to hop in on this thread from the other end of this process - but I recently approved the proof of mine and received an email saying it would be available "soon". Can anyone tell me how long it took for their book to appear for sale after the proof was approved? Also, is there a good way to promote paperbacks, as I've concentrated on Kindle until now. Thanks.

Daphne, my latest two books published with CS were up and available for sale in about 4 or 5 days. However, the description and reviews, etc., take a bit longer as it does not populate all at once.  They must have several departments doing the job.  They each play their part.  Within about two weeks it should all be up and running.  I even added a book trailer when I posted the Author Review.  That came up in about 48 hours.

Gordon Ryan

Woodland Daily Democrat

| | | |

Offline Daphne

• England
      • View Profile
    « Reply #45 on: October 17, 2010, 03:22:57 am »
    Thanks, Gordon. It is always good to know, otherwise I fret and think something has gone wrong. I'll be patient.

Daphne Coleridge

Offline Philip Chen

• View Profile
      • Falling Star
    « Reply #46 on: October 17, 2010, 05:25:22 am »
    Gordon,

Thank you for the advice as always.  I used the can Phil read it with his reading glasses test and settled on Cambria 11.5 pt. 

I am now going to start a thread to chronicle my journey through CS.

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #47 on: October 17, 2010, 05:44:50 am »
    So here are two questions I have about this:

1) If I buy copies of my novella directly from CreateSpace, and the work isn't ever for sale on Amazon or the CS store, are those sales still trackable via the ISBN? I guess I need to call CS and ask them that.

2) When using a CreateSpace-generated ISBN, do the sales stick to the ISBN just the same as if I had supplied my own ISBN? I think the answer to this is yes, but I'm not 100% sure. I'll probably call CS and ask them that, too.

The work-around for this, then, (I think) would be to only order proof copies for yourself. You can buy those proof copies 5 at a time, then change something about the interior file, then order 5 more proof copies, rinse, repeat. Then I would think you either wouldn't show up via Bookscan, or you'd show up with 0 sales and that would have to look fishy enough that no one would really care about it.

Proof copies are stamped PROOF. If you order regular copies through your CS dashboard, I doubt if it will show up as sales since you don't get any royalties that way.

Offline Ali Cooper

• Devon, UK
      • View Profile
      • Ali Cooper's World of Words and Music
    « Reply #48 on: October 17, 2010, 06:03:43 am »
    Depends where you live, what your ambitions are re writing/publishing, whether you feel you can be a publisher as well as a writer etc.

I have my own imprint and print and distribute with Lightning Source. In UK this gives me much more flexibility and a UK account. I have more print options - important because the US print options available in UK are not UK standard (not saying they're better or worse but they do instantly identify your book as different and homemade).

Cost per page is standard for any POD, I think. In fact it may well be standard for any sort of printing but big publishers use short books to subsidise long ones. Unless you have a print run of at least 1000 books (which you will have to pay for in advance) it is unlikely to work out cheaper than POD.

Offline Daphne

• England
      • View Profile
    « Reply #49 on: October 17, 2010, 10:19:52 am »
    I'm obviously missing a step here. My book is available through Amazon and I'm not currently interested in the ED, but mention has been made to selling through Createspace itself. How does one sign up for that? And does any one know what the e store sales option refers to?
    « Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 10:33:44 am by Daphne »

Daphne Coleridge

KBoards.com

• Advertisement