Author Topic: I need your advice on Print on Demand  (Read 5642 times)  

Offline boydm

• Seattle
    • View Profile
    • Boyd Morrison author site
Re: I need your advice on Print on Demand
« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2010, 05:17:28 pm »
If it's tracked by ISBN, there shouldn't be a problem. The publisher has to have a new ISBN for your work. They can't use the Create Space ISBN. Plus, you can change the name of your book which Boyd Morrison did with The Ark when he was picked up by S&S. It's now Rogue Wave. 

Gertie, I actually only self-published electronically, so I never registered for an ISBN because of the exact reason that Kristin Nelson raised: I didn't want publishers and booksellers to see that my books had only sold a few copies if that had happened. I was planning to write more books, and publishers and booksellers look for you by name. They would see the old books that hadn't sold many copies and might think the new book wouldn't do any better, hurting my publishing chances. So there is a risk to registering for an ISBN when you self-publish.

We kept The Ark as the title when the S&S version came out in May. The title of The Palmyra Impact was changed to Rogue Wave.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #76 on: October 17, 2010, 06:17:07 pm »
    Gertie, I actually only self-published electronically, so I never registered for an ISBN because of the exact reason that Kristin Nelson raised: I didn't want publishers and booksellers to see that my books had only sold a few copies if that had happened. I was planning to write more books, and publishers and booksellers look for you by name. They would see the old books that hadn't sold many copies and might think the new book wouldn't do any better, hurting my publishing chances. So there is a risk to registering for an ISBN when you self-publish.

We kept The Ark as the title when the S&S version came out in May. The title of The Palmyra Impact was changed to Rogue Wave.

Thanks, Boyd. I didn't know if you still hung out here or not, but I knew you would have the right answer.

Offline David Derrico

• South Florida
    • My Kindle is my friend.
      • View Profile
      • Novels by David Derrico
    « Reply #77 on: October 17, 2010, 07:04:38 pm »
    David, the truth is I don't know yet.  I've had the CS store link only for a few days.  I agree with your premise.  And if I see a problem developing, I will redirect the link to the Amazon site, rather than the CS site.  I actually get very few sales from Amazon of the print edition, so I have little to lose with this experiment.  I'll let you know.

Thanks Gordon, I'd actually be interested to hear if you find a difference one way or the other, that would be useful info. Good luck!

I have a couple of questions (they've been sort of answered, but not clearly enough for my fuzzy brain right now):

1.) If you don't sign up for the Pro Plan at all - can you upgrade to it later with the same book?  And if anybody has done this upgrade, is it a hassle?

2.)  All this talk about offering through CS and Amazon and ED.... it sounds like they apply to the Pro Plan, but if one doesn't sign up for the pro plan, do you have to worry about them? 

3.) What do you all think of Palatino?

1.) Yes, you can upgrade later. No, it's not a hassle: you just kick yourself because the per-book discount (which makes proof copies cheaper and nets you more royalties on sales) isn't retroactive, so if you buy 3 proofs, sell 10 copies, then upgrade, you feel a little silly (not that I know anyone who did that!)  :-[  But, no, other than the $39, there's no "down side" to the Pro Plan: you're paying $39 to save about $2 on each book you print (whether buying for yourself, buying to resell, or selling through CS, Amazon, or ED). It's just a numbers game, and if the number of books you plan to buy + sell is about 20 or more, it's worth it. You pay it per title, and can have some with Pro Plan and others without. I believe the cost is $39 for the first year, $5 each year thereafter.

2.) The channels you offer your book at (CS, Amazon, and ED) aren't really related to the Pro Plan, except you must have the Pro Plan to use ED (which is of only marginal value anyway). But you can sell through CS or Amazon with or without the Pro Plan, using the Pro Plan just means your per-book cost is lower, whether you're ordering a proof, ordering an author copy, or selling a copy through CS, Amazon, or ED.

3.) It's my favorite font! I use it for my print novels, and I love the way it looks. I've always preferred Palatino to Times New Roman.

Right Ascension & Declination, thought-provoking, action/adventure sci-fi.
     The Twiller, humorous sci-fi (Red Adept Reviews: 4.75 stars).

Each is a Top 1,000 Amazon Kindle bestseller, for just $2.99
     Reviews, excerpts, & my blog can be found at www.davidderrico.com.

Offline daringnovelist

• Camille LaGuire
      • View Profile
      • Camille LaGuire
    « Reply #78 on: October 17, 2010, 07:18:32 pm »
    Thanks David! 

I'll definitely be going for the pro plan.  I'll have to think about ED, though.

I've always liked Palatino.  I also like Bookman, but I haven't used it in so long (I don't even know if I own it) I don't know if I would still like it. But I remember it as a nice round readable font. (Of course my favorites are in the Benguiat family, but those aren't for body text.)

Camille

Offline Gordon Ryan

• New Zealand
    • Generational Freedom
      • View Profile
      • Author Gordon Ryan
    « Reply #79 on: October 17, 2010, 07:32:22 pm »
    In future, please be sensitive to Phil and myself when discussing ED.  We believe it would be best to spell out the Expanded Distribution component of Create Space.  We wouldn't want anyone to think we were old men, right Phil???  ::)

Gordon Ryan
    "A writer of skill and originality." Midwest Book Review
                   as exciting as anything produced by Clancy.

Woodland Daily Democrat

| | | |

Offline Daphne

• England
    • Author of the Claresby and Pendlehurst mysteries
      • View Profile
    « Reply #80 on: October 18, 2010, 01:38:37 am »
    One last question: when ones book is up and ready, smiling coyly and expectantly like a virgin on their first date (actually the virgin analogy doesn't quite work for mine - someone bought one. I sent links to my ebook-challenged friends, so probably one of them is now on my Christamas list) - how does one promote it? Is there an equivalent to KBs Book of the Day or KND for paperbacks

Daphne Coleridge

Offline MosesSiregarIII

• Prescott, AZ (6,300 feet, cold)
    • Writer, Reader, Conquerer
      • View Profile
      • Moses and Dionysus Walk Into a Bar ...
    « Reply #81 on: October 20, 2010, 02:26:01 pm »
    So here are two questions I have about this:

1) If I buy copies of my novella directly from CreateSpace, and the work isn't ever for sale on Amazon or the CS store, are those sales still trackable via the ISBN? I guess I need to call CS and ask them that.

2) When using a CreateSpace-generated ISBN, do the sales stick to the ISBN just the same as if I had supplied my own ISBN? I think the answer to this is yes, but I'm not 100% sure. I'll probably call CS and ask them that, too.

The work-around for this, then, (I think) would be to only order proof copies for yourself. You can buy those proof copies 5 at a time, then change something about the interior file, then order 5 more proof copies, rinse, repeat. Then I would think you either wouldn't show up via Bookscan, or you'd show up with 0 sales and that would have to look fishy enough that no one would really care about it.

I talked to CS and a rep from Nielsen/BookScan today. The CS person checked with some higher ups and they said that when you buy your own books from within your own dashboard, it doesn't register as sales. However, the lady also told me to contact Nielsen to check with them.

So I emailed Nielsen. My question: "If I buy my book directly from CreateSpace, they say they do not report these purchases as sales. I'm hoping to make sure that any such books that I would buy would NOT show up as sales trackable to the book's ISBN."

The response: "We do not receive any data from CreateSpace, so anything you purchase from them will not show up in our sales data."

So it sounds like buying your own books from CreateSpace shouldn't be any problem if you're concerned about the point that Kristin Nelson raised. In that case, you might just want to make sure that you don't approve any sales channels within CS so that the book never goes out to Amazon, etc.

You could go ultra-conservative and still only work with proof copies as ARCs, so that you never even approve a proof copy. If you order a proof, all it has to indicate it's a proof is a page in the very back of the book that says "Proof" on it. You could just cut that page out if you don't want it there, although that shouldn't be any problem anyway with an ARC.

But I talked to CS a second time and I was told that approving the proof copy does nothing within CS to send your info out to anywhere else. And Nielsen doesn't get any info from CreateSpace anyway. So it sounds like it's safe to order non-proofing copies from within CS.
    Author of The Black God's War

Fantasy Book Critic Review | FantasyBookReview.co.uk | 5 Stars from MotherLode

"Moses is a fine writer deserving of success and I think that it will follow. I really enjoyed Mosess work." -NYT Bestselling Author David Farland

Blog: Moses and Dionysus Walk Into a Bar ...

TwitterFacebook | GoodReads

Offline MosesSiregarIII

• Prescott, AZ (6,300 feet, cold)
    • Writer, Reader, Conquerer
      • View Profile
      • Moses and Dionysus Walk Into a Bar ...
    « Reply #82 on: October 20, 2010, 03:01:39 pm »
    I asked another question to Nielsen/BookScan:

Q: "Can you tell me at what point you guys will even know a book exists? If I get an ISBN through CreateSpace and then only purchase copies directly through them, would my author name and book title even show up in BookScan?"

A: "No it would not. Ingram Book is a prominent supplier of author/ISBN data."

So that's good news.
    Author of The Black God's War

Fantasy Book Critic Review | FantasyBookReview.co.uk | 5 Stars from MotherLode

"Moses is a fine writer deserving of success and I think that it will follow. I really enjoyed Mosess work." -NYT Bestselling Author David Farland

Blog: Moses and Dionysus Walk Into a Bar ...

TwitterFacebook | GoodReads

KBoards.com

• Advertisement