Author Topic: Reliable Wife  (Read 607 times)  

Offline Robin

• Charlotte, NC
    • View Profile
Reliable Wife
« on: October 22, 2010, 10:58:51 am »
I am 1/3 through Reliable Wife & not liking it at all. Anyone read it? Is it worth finishing? I'm reading it for my book group where we really do discuss the books, so I try to do all the reading. This one just isn't my thing.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline monkeyluis

• Somewhere in a galaxy far, far away.
      • View Profile
      • Goodreads Profile
    Re: Reliable Wife
    « Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 11:10:01 am »
    I am 1/3 through Reliable Wife & not liking it at all. Anyone read it? Is it worth finishing? I'm reading it for my book group where we really do discuss the books, so I try to do all the reading. This one just isn't my thing.

I'm glad you're posting this.  It sounded really good and I was interested in reading it.  I'll see what other people have to say about it.
    Have ebooks, will read.

Offline MLPMom

• View Profile
      • My Guilty Obsession Book Reviews
    « Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 12:47:32 pm »
    This isn't answering your question really but I was also looking at this book and I noticed on Goodreads that it doesn't have very good reviews. I don't think you are the only one having trouble finishing it.
    The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.-Jane Austen
    I also have a book blog where I review a new Indie Author every week. http://myguiltyobsession.blogspot.com/

Offline Robin

• Charlotte, NC
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 01:10:36 pm »
    On Amazon it has more 1 star reviews than 5 star reviews - Not looking good. I'm going to stop for now... unless/ until someone convinces me it's worth it!

Offline tsilver

• Decatur, Georgia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 07:52:18 pm »
    I read "The Reliable Wife," and for several chapters I wasn't sure if I wanted to finish it or not.  It seemed a little weird and the pace seemed a little too slow at the beginning.  But the pace does pick up and there are surprises in store for the reader.  I stuck with the story (I think I was rather hypnotized)  and ended up impressed with the author's originality.  As each chapter unfolded and more and more of the characters' past history  and current motives become known, the story became more absorbing.  If I were rating the author I'd give him five stars.

Terry Gelormino Silver
    Author of "Nunzilla Was My Mother and My Stepmother Was a Witch," "God Don't Take Crap from Nobody," and "Donkey Love"

Offline LibbyD

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 02:08:05 am »
    I've read A Reliable Wife and I loved it.  It is definitely not a mystery, thriller, romance, or gothic romance, so anyone who is looking for that sort of thing will be disappointed.  It does have some elements of all those but it's deeper and more complex than any of them.  The writing is poetic and gorgeous, though certainly not pretty in the way that genre fiction can be.  I think it can best be described as a literary psychological study.  The characters are wounded in various ways. They are needy, intense, and somewhat peculiar -- and their stories are played out in a rather surprising fashion.  The beginning grabbed me because of the way the cold and austere setting was described and I thought that placing a story with so much florid imagery against that icy backdrop was an effective choice for the author to make.  It is as erotic a novel as I have ever read, without it actually being erotic (at least in the way one encounters in genre fiction).  The characters are seriously flawed but that made them more interesting and real to me, and although there were painful moments they all led to what was, for me, a very satisfying conclusion.

Whether or not reading this book is "worthwhile" depends on what one is looking for and what one enjoys.  For me it was definitely worthwhile and memorable too.  For others it might not be.  I wouldn't try to persuade anyone to read it unless I knew them well enough to know a lot about their tastes and expectations.  I think I've said enough about it for anyone who is on the fence to figure out whether or not there is any reason for them to carry on. 

Offline LCEvans

• Matthews, NC
      • View Profile
      • L.C. Evans author page
    « Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 06:15:51 am »
    I've been wondering about this one, too. Based on the Amazon reviews I'm hesitant to buy it. Reliable Wife appears to be one of those books you either love or hate and I'm thinking I'd hate it.

Linda

KBoards.com

• Advertisement