Author Topic: Posting text (and a bookcover picture) that links to the Kindle Store  (Read 191282 times)  

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
    • View Profile
Re: Posting text (and a bookcover picture) that links to the Kindle Store
« Reply #475 on: April 30, 2020, 05:52:48 am »
Thanks. So will management be doing the upgrade?  :)

I'd say it's extremely unlikely.
My Kindles
Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
    • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
      • View Profile
      • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
    « Reply #476 on: April 30, 2020, 08:34:06 am »
    I'd say it's extremely unlikely.

Do they even know about it?  ::) Has anyone requested it?  :D

Non-fiction, Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
    Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #477 on: April 30, 2020, 09:15:59 am »
    Do they even know about it?  ::) Has anyone requested it?  :D

No clue. But they should have gotten the same message I did from Amazon. I didn't care because I don't use the function -- my little affiliate account was actually set up by Harvey years ago as a way to somewhat reward those of us who were moderators. But you'd think someone who has a website and relies on accurate linking to Amazon to make money would have acted.
    « Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 09:17:34 am by Ann in Arlington »
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Yorkshire Lass

• View Profile
    « Reply #478 on: June 08, 2020, 11:16:45 am »
    Please help! I'm trying to use your Link Maker to put a link to my Kindle book in my signature. But every time I put in the ASIN and click Search, it comes up as 'not successful'. Neither will it let me type in the title underneath in the Key Words. What am I doing wrong? Any help gratefully received!
    Ann
    Ann Erleigh 

Facebook ://www.facebook.com/Ann-Erleigh-101165114905865/?modal=admin_todo_tour

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #479 on: June 09, 2020, 04:34:20 am »
    The link maker was developed/coded by the original owner of this site, who died several years ago. It has since been sold to an organization that apparently makes money by owning bulletin boards. NONE of the coding/design/navigation has been updated since (except to switch to their own affiliate links). Specifically, Amazon changed something in how such searches work to link items on their site. Of course, current ownership has not updated the link maker, which is probably why you are having problems.

However, there is a manual version that, as far as I know, still works. See the italicized note below the search box on the main link maker page. The word 'here' is a link to the manual version. All you need is the ASIN and Title for a text link or do a 'copy image location' and enter that for an image link.

If THAT doesn't work, I'm afraid you're out of luck. You can try emailing the ownership, but they are generally pretty unresponsive. But I did just try it with a random book and it seemed to work.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Annalise Clark

• NYC/NJ
      • View Profile
      • Annalise on Amazon
    « Reply #480 on: June 20, 2020, 09:16:55 am »
    The link maker was developed/coded by the original owner of this site, who died several years ago. It has since been sold to an organization that apparently makes money by owning bulletin boards. NONE of the coding/design/navigation has been updated since (except to switch to their own affiliate links). Specifically, Amazon changed something in how such searches work to link items on their site. Of course, current ownership has not updated the link maker, which is probably why you are having problems.

However, there is a manual version that, as far as I know, still works. See the italicized note below the search box on the main link maker page. The word 'here' is a link to the manual version. All you need is the ASIN and Title for a text link or do a 'copy image location' and enter that for an image link.

If THAT doesn't work, I'm afraid you're out of luck. You can try emailing the ownership, but they are generally pretty unresponsive. But I did just try it with a random book and it seemed to work.

Thank you for this! I have updated covers and I was trying to fix mine, since it didn't pull the new covers automatically. Now I know why it's not working. Is that also why the paid promo thread is getting no response? For the kBoards promotions they used to do here? I was here in 2016/2017, then left and came back late 2019. I did not know about the owner's passing.

Offline MichaelPritchett

• Kansas City
    • Winner of the Iowa Short Fiction Award
      • View Profile
      • michaelpritchett.co
    « Reply #481 on: June 22, 2020, 09:10:33 am »
    I have a new Kindle book TANIA THE REVOLUTIONARY and wasn't able to make this link feature work.  Thx Michael Pritchett

Offline Kate R

• UK
      • View Profile
      • kjrbooks
    « Reply #482 on: July 02, 2020, 06:36:35 am »
    I can't use either link makers :(

I tried the manual one and copied the ASIN and what you said about 'copy image location' but what to do after that?  Didn't seem to be anywhere to copy them too :(

I just copied and pasted from an earlier message but only came up with the old image of that book ???
    « Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 08:38:05 am by Kate R »

Offline MalcolmJWardlaw

• View Profile
    « Reply #483 on: July 20, 2020, 03:56:15 am »
    I am trying to get my five books to appear in the signature, but they don't show up. There is some problem with the system being unable to find the books on Amazon (although they have been there for several weeks). Please could you advise?

Malcolm J Wardlaw | Website

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #484 on: July 20, 2020, 04:30:57 am »
    See this post, just up thread, from June 2020:

My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Online LDB

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #485 on: August 06, 2020, 08:31:15 am »
    I tried searching by title and by author's name and got this same reply both ways. Not sure I've ever gotten it to work.

API call did not execute successfully.
    My Service on the KBoards Yellow Pages
    There's no bad day if you have a good book.

Offline Roger Cave

• UK
    • Author of the Alec Fincham Novels
      • View Profile
    « Reply #486 on: September 04, 2020, 01:45:38 pm »
    Hi all

I've just updated the covers on my books and come across the same issue. The link makers doesn't work, and I had old links and they brought up the old image, so I've had a look at the HTML coding, and here's what I've come up with.

Below is the coding, with the image.

url=http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QT6ZZ0/?tag=kindleboards-20][/url

I've taken the [ from the start of the string and the ] at the end just to get the text to show, so you would have to add those back.

First up for the link to the book to work you need to replace the B004QT6ZZ0 with the Amazon ASIN found in the product details of your book on Amazon. I.e this one's mine, you need to add yours to get the "click link" to take you to the right Amazon page. Otherwise all your links will go to my page (a plus for me, but not ideal for someone looking for a romance book!)

The next part of the string generates the image itself. Everytime you amend an image on Amazon it's given a new "name."

How do you get the image name? Go to the page of your book on Amazon, where you can see the "Look inside" feature. Click on the image to open in another tab (usually a left click). The image will open in a new tab and will have a URL in this instance,
    https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/41Pa+va4AcL.jpg._SL160_.jpg (where the SL160 image quality (I'll load another image below at at 500 and you'll see the difference.)

You now just want the bit 41Pa+va4AcL.jpg. (with the full stop - your version of this, of course).

And insert into the text [img height=325]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Pa+va4AcL.jpg._SL160_.jpg[/img
    Again you'll need a ] at the end after img (I had to take it off, or the image pops up again)

The height of the image is shown as [img height=325], so the image above is 325 (125 was the original size, so the bigger the number the bigger the image, but you will lose quality the bigger you go, as such 325 seems about the best).

This part of the string will display the image itself, but will not hyperlink to the book in Amazon.

This then simply (Ha!) inserts where the image is above i.e after Kindleboards-20]

Of course once done, you can save and re-use!!!!!!

At bit of a pain, and if you can figure out what I've done you're away. Easiest way, copy all this into Word, copy and paste all your Amazon stuff and start inserting and adding the missing square brackets ] [ then test in pre-view here!

« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 01:23:57 pm by Roger Cave »
    Roger Cave
    Author of the Alec Fincham Novels

Offline Roger Cave

• UK
    • Author of the Alec Fincham Novels
      • View Profile
    « Reply #487 on: September 04, 2020, 02:18:47 pm »
    And at SL500

« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 01:25:47 pm by Roger Cave »
    Roger Cave
    Author of the Alec Fincham Novels

Offline Kate R

• UK
      • View Profile
      • kjrbooks
    « Reply #488 on: September 08, 2020, 08:50:51 am »
    See this post, just up thread, from June 2020:

It doesn't work - I can't do it with old link maker either :(

It just come back with API didn't execute properly :(
    « Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 08:54:55 am by Kate R »

Offline Davidjb

• maidstone
      • View Profile
      • David Burrows, fantasy author, homepage
    « Reply #489 on: October 20, 2020, 08:25:24 am »
    Link maker not working?? what other options are there? I also cannot find a way of searching the forum as this topic may have been dealt with. How do I search??
    « Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 08:43:19 am by Davidjb »

Prophecy of the Kings is a traditional fantasy trilogy in the vein of David Gemmell
    David Burrows | Prophecy of the Kings Website | David\'s Author Blog | David\'s Facebook Page

KBoards.com

• Advertisement