Author Topic: Belkin Protective Case for K2: review by KasperKindle  (Read 9558 times)  

Offline KasperKindler

• Boston, MA
    • View Profile
Belkin Protective Case for K2: review by KasperKindle
« on: February 25, 2009, 10:47:48 am »
I purchased the Belkin case to have something for the Kindle until I made up my mind what kind of cover I wanted.  This is my first Kindle and at this point I'm not sure if I want to hold it naked  ??? or read it in a case, so I my main reason for buying this case was for protection until I make up my mind.  Cost: $24.99

No fancy packaging here - just the cover in a plastic wrapper.

Here is a picture of the case with my Kindle zipped up inside:

It zips up nice and snug, and the padding in the case is very substantial.  There is a leather swatch on both the front and back that gives a good surface for you to grab.
In the next shot I have tried to illustrate the interior padding and how the Kindle sits snugly inside.  There are two zippers (you can see in my top pic), and the case unzipps on the top and the right side only.  So - obviously, you have to take the Kindle out to use it.

Overall - if it's protection that you are looking for - I think this is an excellent choice. 
I had bought it thinking that I would probably return it - however I am suprised at how "functional" this one actually is.

I have a couple of plane trips coming up and I thnk this will do a very nice job of protecting my kindle in my carry-on.
It's "compactness" also allows me to slide the Kindle into my pocketbook - with confidence that it's going to be protected.

So - the bottom line; if you are looking for a case for protection - I would definitely recommend this one.  However if you want to read and leave your K2 in the cover - this one is not for you.  For a PROTECTIVE case I would give it an B++.  I thought that as this is more of a "storage" case rather than "reading in the cover" case - I thought if there had been a way to store the USB cable with it, it would be quite handy.  Regardless, I think I will be keeping it after all!

Link to Amazon page: Belkin Neoprene Sleeve Case for Amazon Kindle 2
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 08:48:34 pm by Harvey »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
    • Global Moderator
    • Maine, USA
    • Kindle Paperwhite for Dummies available now!
      • View Profile
      • Maine Desk
    Re: Belkin Protective Case for K2
    « Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 11:07:51 am »
    Kasper, great info and pictures! Thanks!

Where did you buy your case?

L

Leslie Nicoll

Offline KasperKindler

• Boston, MA
      • View Profile
    Re: Belkin Protective Case for K2
    « Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 11:30:33 am »
    Kasper, great info and pictures! Thanks!

Where did you buy your case?

L
    Amazon Website - it's under Kindle 2 Accessories (sorry - I should have mentioned that!  ::))

Offline Elmo

• View Profile
    Re: Belkin Protective Case for K2: review by KasperKindle
    « Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 02:30:21 pm »
    I got the Belkin and the K2 today. The case may be perfect for protection in a backpack.

Mt only negative: no place to store cable and light. They will go in my pack completely nude!

got it on amazon.
    Elmo
    "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face." - Ben Williams

Offline lb505

• Batesville
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 03:30:56 pm »
    I got the Belkin and the K2 today. The case may be perfect for protection in a backpack.

I was planning on taking my (soon to be arriving) Kindle with me backpacking so this is good news.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 03:32:26 pm »
    I got one of those also.  It's a good compromise until I decide what Oberon case to get.
    I did put the Kindle in upside down so the extra padding is more over the screen (but I am weird).
    Now I can take Athena to work and show her off.  She stayed home today for lack of a case...

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
    • Bellingham WA
    • Love all, moderate all.
      • View Profile
      • KBoards
    « Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 08:49:41 pm »
    Thanks, Kasper - love the review and the pix! I like the looks of this case.

I added links to Amazon's detail page for the Belkin case.
    Flint and Flame: 15%

Authors: set up your own work-in-progress bar with our Author Sig tool.

Offline BambiB

• Normal is relative, just not my relatives!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 09:00:15 pm »
    Thanks for the pics, Kasper Kindle....although, its kinda like a K2 strip tease.  Maybe Harvey should put a warning on this thread so minors don't inadvertently enter by mistake!! :o

Offline gigglebox1231

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 09:05:14 pm »
    I'm so glad to hear this is a good case! I ordered this one because the price was right but I was worried about the protection. Thanks for the review!

Now, if only my kindle and case would arrive...

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
    • Bellingham WA
      • View Profile
      • KBoards
    « Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 09:24:36 pm »
    Kasper, we'll be featuring this in tomorrow morning's blog. Thanks for posting the review!

Offline KasperKindler

• Boston, MA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 05:22:40 am »
    Thanks, Kasper - love the review and the pix! I like the looks of this case.

I added links to Amazon's detail page for the Belkin case.

Thanks Harvey!

Offline Joe Paul Jr.

• Philadelphia area
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 09:07:02 am »
    I ordered the official leather Kindle cover, though it hasn't arrived yet (though my Kindle did).  I'm thinking of getting the Belkin cover, too, because I lke the idea of that it completely encloses the Kindle.  I'm guessing, though, that the K2 in its cover won't fit into the Belkin sleeve.  That would be just too convenient.
    Joe

Offline libro

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 10:06:44 am »
    Thanks so much for the great review and photos, Harvey! 

Bambi -- Your analogy to the photo "strip tease" gave me my LOL for the day!   :D   Love it!

Offline Joe Paul Jr.

• Philadelphia area
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 11:29:42 am »
    Okay, my Kindle leather cover was waiting in my office when I got back from lunch.  It's pretty nice, and the sliding hook mechanism to secure/free the K2 works well, too.  Think I might still get the Belkin cover to supplement the leather cover, though: leather cover for work and other "gentle" activities, and the padded, totally enclosed Belkin for when I'm doing rustic weekend activities.
    Joe

Offline KasperKindler

• Boston, MA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 01:26:22 pm »
    I ordered the official leather Kindle cover, though it hasn't arrived yet (though my Kindle did).  I'm thinking of getting the Belkin cover, too, because I lke the idea of that it completely encloses the Kindle.  I'm guessing, though, that the K2 in its cover won't fit into the Belkin sleeve.  That would be just too convenient.

Hey Joe - you're right, the K2 in tis cover would not fit into the Belkin.  The Belkin is a very snug fit around the nekkid Kindle.  ;D
    Another plus I have realized over the past couple of days is that as it is completely zipped up it will keep out dust, pet hair etc, etc.  Someone in another thread mentioned that they thought this case great if the Kindle is put into a backpack.  I think this is an excellent description of where this case would function best.

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
    • Bellingham WA
      • View Profile
      • KBoards
    « Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 02:52:52 pm »
    Thanks so much for the great review and photos, Harvey! 

Bambi -- Your analogy to the photo "strip tease" gave me my LOL for the day!   :D   Love it!

Actually, the thanks goes to Kasper who posted the review and the pics!

Offline journeyjane

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 05:47:01 pm »
    The Patagonia case also offers padding and is a case that can be left on when reading.  Not perfect, but a good case.  Also sort of hides the fact that a Kindle is inside--perhaps less likely to get ripped off...

Offline stu11926

• Lexington, SC CSA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 06:02:17 pm »
    Hey Joe - you're right, the K2 in tis cover would not fit into the Belkin.  The Belkin is a very snug fit around the nekkid Kindle.  ;D

That's a shame.  I would really like a similar cover that I could slip the K2 complete with its Amazon cover into so that it's protected from all dust and such when I'm not reading, and still protected from my hands when I am reading.

Offline libro

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: February 28, 2009, 08:29:46 am »
    Stu, I understand what you mean.  Since I have the Amazon cover and it's hinged, I'd like to get something like the Belkin sleeve that would hold the entire K2 with its Amazon cover in place.  That way I don't have to unhinge and hinge it each time I transfer it to its case.  If I was super handy (not), I suppose I could craft something up.  I'll have to measure the dimensions of the K2 with cover on and search, but whatever I buy I would want to be very well padded and as secure as the Belkin sleeve.

Offline Kind

• View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: March 01, 2009, 07:47:02 pm »
    Nice, looks like the Kindle is safe and sound in there.

Kindleholic - Addicted since Summer 2008.
    Original Kindle x 2  Woot Woot

Offline Angela

• Texas
    • aka: tx_angel, A Wayt, Babe, Mom, Grandma, Hey YOU
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: March 04, 2009, 01:48:22 am »
    Great pictures and review, Kasper!

Offline Joe Paul Jr.

• Philadelphia area
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: March 04, 2009, 12:39:06 pm »
    Thanks for the insights.  I've since ordered the Belkin case, though it hasn't arrived yet.  The problem with the offical leather cover (which I already have) for the K2 is that you have to be VERY careful each time that you hook the Kindle into it, or else the metal hooks will scratch the stainless steel (or whatever metal it is) on the side on the Kindle. I already got one teeny, tiny scratch on the side of my Kindle during an initial "hooking it in" episode (not enough to truly upset me, as I have to really squint to see it), but I want to avoid others.  So it's the Belkin for me, interspersed with some EXTREMELY CAREFUL use of the leather case from time to time (heck, I paid for it, after all).
    Joe

Offline dcom

• Suwanee, GA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: March 04, 2009, 01:27:23 pm »
    Stu, I understand what you mean.  Since I have the Amazon cover and it's hinged, I'd like to get something like the Belkin sleeve that would hold the entire K2 with its Amazon cover in place.  That way I don't have to unhinge and hinge it each time I transfer it to its case.  If I was super handy (not), I suppose I could craft something up.  I'll have to measure the dimensions of the K2 with cover on and search, but whatever I buy I would want to be very well padded and as secure as the Belkin sleeve.

Belkin makes another neoprene case that would hold the K2 and Amazon case. Target sells them for around $15-$20 and they come in multiple colors.

Offline Joe Paul Jr.

• Philadelphia area
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: March 05, 2009, 05:37:55 am »
    Of course, the other issue is pressure on the screen.  Even if the Belkin works out for me, I'm not going to be able to stack things on top of the Kindle, or apply too much pressure to the center of the case when I'm carrying it around.  That's the one advantage of the stiff covers: more protection from extra weight or pressure applied to the Kindle.
    Joe

Offline artsandhistoryfan

• Berkeley, CA
      • View Profile
      • A Kindle World
    « Reply #24 on: March 05, 2009, 09:06:45 am »
    Of course, the other issue is pressure on the screen.  Even if the Belkin works out for me, I'm not going to be able to stack things on top of the Kindle, or apply too much pressure to the center of the case when I'm carrying it around.  That's the one advantage of the stiff covers: more protection from extra weight or pressure applied to the Kindle.

And the stiffer cover is still pliable and looks like a little notebook!  I love it.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement