Author Topic: 2011 One Year Bible Comments  (Read 7594 times)  

Offline Suzanne

• N. Huntingdon, PA
  • No. 336
    • View Profile
2011 One Year Bible Comments
« on: December 01, 2010, 09:12:59 am »
Time to get excited about our One Year Bible for next year!  When you do a search in the Kindle Store for "One Year Bible" there are three pages now. But it seems like the two we are familiar with are the best candidates once again. I highly recommend them both.

This particular Bible has a wonderful blog on the Net. It can be found here & is a treasure of information to read daily along with your daily reading.

http://oneyearbibleblog.com/

Another wonderful One Year Bible. It has a nice devotional comment for each day's reading.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Concrete Queen

• Lawrence, KS
      • View Profile
    Re: 2011 One Year Bible Comments
    « Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 12:05:38 pm »
    Will the Grace for the Moment Bible get you through the entire Bible, or is it just selected readings?

Offline arshield

• Marietta, GA
      • View Profile
      • Bookwi.se
    « Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 12:22:02 pm »
    I have been listening to the Daily Message this year.  I like the experience of listening to scripture, but I am looking for a paper and audio daily bible that I can listen and read.  I always get different things out of listening and reading.  Not an option for the Daily Message on Kindle.  One thing I like about it is that it is not a straight through daily bible experience.  It alternates between Old and New to shake things up and not get quite to lost in the Deut, Lev, Num section.

Offline Suzanne

• N. Huntingdon, PA
    • No. 336
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 08:17:02 pm »
    Will the Grace for the Moment Bible get you through the entire Bible, or is it just selected readings?

Yes, Grace for the Moment Bible will get you through the entire Bible in one year. Jan. 1st starts with four readings: one from Old Testament (Gen. chap. 1), one from New Testament (Matthew Chap. 1), a reading from Psalms (starts with Psalm 1) and a proverb or two (Proverbs 1).  Download a sample of both of the Bibles and you will get a good idea what they are like. Also, the other one I mentioned, the One-Year Bible gets you through the entire Bible in one year. It is quite a feeling of accomplishment when you are finished reading the entire Bible. And the daily readings take approximately 15 minutes.

Offline Concrete Queen

• Lawrence, KS
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 06:41:39 am »
    Thanks!  I'm currently reading the One Year Bible, but I want a different one for next year, just to change things up.

Offline Suzanne

• N. Huntingdon, PA
    • No. 336
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 08:24:43 am »
    Thanks!  I'm currently reading the One Year Bible, but I want a different one for next year, just to change things up.

Oh, okay! Then the format for Max Lucado's book is the same as the One-Year Bible. The difference between the two is that at the start of each day's reading on Grace for a Moment, there is a small devotional also that pertains to that day's reading.

Offline love2read

• Ohio
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 12:09:39 pm »
    Another difference between the two bibles is that in the One Year Bible you read through the book of Psalms twice in one year. Both of are very nice formats.

Many of the devotionals before each daily reading in the Max Lucado Bible are very though provoking and good way to start out that day's reading.

Both bibles are excellent.

I'm really attached to reading 4 different parts of the Bible in one day. It does break up some of the tougher parts in the Old Testament.

Offline lynninva

• Central Virginia, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 06:56:17 pm »
    I have been listening to the Daily Message this year.  I like the experience of listening to scripture, but I am looking for a paper and audio daily bible that I can listen and read.  I always get different things out of listening and reading.  Not an option for the Daily Message on Kindle.  One thing I like about it is that it is not a straight through daily bible experience.  It alternates between Old and New to shake things up and not get quite to lost in the Deut, Lev, Num section.

This is information, not a recommendation, because I haven't actually used this product yet.  The Bible Experience has both a print & audio version, but not a Kindle version.  It is in the Today's New International Version (TNIV).   

Amazon link:     

On the official website for The Bible Experience, they have been listing a special bundle of the print version & download for $24.99.  Here is the link if you are interested:
    https://ministry.infusionsoft.com/cart/store.jsp?view=4&i=p322&navicat=44&navisubcat=50&naviprod=322

I bought this earlier this year; my goal was to listen to the entire Bible in 2011.  I was not able to download the audio version at first & had to e-mail the company a couple of times to get it resolved.

I bought an iPod nano to listen to them, but I am still trying to figure out the best mechanics if I want to listen to OT & NT every day.  Also, they apparently include songs at various points in between the Scripture passages.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 07:11:22 pm by lynninva »

Offline onanothernote

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 10:03:59 am »
    Last year I picked up the Thomas Nelson Choronological Study Bible http://www.amazon.com/Chronological-Study-Bible-James-Version/dp/0718020685/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1293213146&sr=8-2  and this one The Daily Bible http://www.amazon.com/Daily-Bible-Chronological-Order-Readings/dp/0736901248/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293213339&sr=8-1  I just found the compain journal to The Daily Bible here http://www.christianbook.com/bible-devotional-journal-companion-reading-through/f-smith/9780736919128/pd/919120?item_code=WW&netp_id=437748&event=ESRCN&view=details for a $1.99  I found that to be a very reasonable price.  I also picked up a few more things on clearance including a The NRSV New Oxford Annotated Bible with the Apocrypha, Loose-Leaf Edition http://www.christianbook.com/nrsv-oxford-annotated-apocrypha-leaf-edition/9781598560329/pd/560328?item_code=WW&netp_id=419674&event=ESRCN&view=details for $39.99 instead of the usual $149.99  The binder was backordreed until Jan. 06, but it is due to arrive in Monday's or Tuesday's mail, depending upon how the mail runs.  The pages arrived today and boy is it thick, like 6 inches, but will be great for studing at my desk.  It would be a good present for someone in seminar school as well.  I plan on reading through both chronological Bibles I have now.  I did find an online bible from www.mystudybible.com from HCSB Study Bible.  I  also found loads of great books on sale at www.christianbook.com  There are loads of great books there for present from .99 and free shipping coupons on the web as well.  Now I just with I could figure out how to make the whole picture link thing work!
    Life is like a toilet paper roll: the closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.

Offline Luvmy5brats

• Enabler Extraordinaire
    • Eastern Shore, MD
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 10:42:28 am »
    Good morning, and Happy New Year! I hope to read the One Year Bible this year with you. I have it on my Kindle, but I also bought the iPhone app (there really is an app for everything) which includes the audio version and commentary. 

I may not always post, but I'll be here...

Offline LauraB

• midwest, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 06:58:12 pm »
    I started just after Christmas, with the December 26th. I was hoping maybe I won't get so bogged down in the genealogy if I started at the end. Odd I know. I began with. Jan. 1st reading today. I'm reafing the first one listed in the thread.
    Books read in 2010: 43 2011: 42 + the Bible 2012: 60; books read 2013:56*

Offline Suzanne

• N. Huntingdon, PA
    • No. 336
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 01:33:42 pm »
    I started just after Christmas, with the December 26th. I was hoping maybe I won't get so bogged down in the genealogy if I started at the end. Odd I know. I began with. Jan. 1st reading today. I'm reafing the first one listed in the thread.

Yes, I know what you mean about those genealogies. Also, I find difficult some sections of the Old Testament which deal with minute details of the Mosaic Law and minute details on how certain things are to be constructed. That is when I really appreciate that each day's reading is more than just the Old Testament, but has a section from the New Testament, Psalms & Proverbs. I think that is why some people give up when they try to read the Bible from front to back; when they hit those difficult sections in the Old Testament, their eyes glaze over eventually & they give up!  :o

Offline Angela

• Texas
    • aka: tx_angel, A Wayt, Babe, Mom, Grandma, Hey YOU
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 02:59:12 am »
    I know I am a bit late, but I will be reading the One Year Bible this year (I read the Max Lucado one last year). Don't know that I will be able to post much, but I will be reading! Happy New Year!!

Offline StarGazer

• Long Island, NY
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 07:20:23 pm »
    Hi all,

Could someone comment on Mathew 5:20? "But I warn you-unless your righteousness is better than the righteousness of the teachers of religious law and the Pharisees, you will never enter the Kingdom of Heaven!"

What is being said here? At first read it appeared that I need to be more righteous than say my local pastor.  :o But that can't be right.

Thanks,
    Chris

Offline LauraB

• midwest, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 07:26:22 pm »
     I think (and I'm no expert), that Jesus was speaking of the teachers of religious law at the time. He was of the view that they weren't (at least not all of them) doing the correct things, for the correct reason. What it means to me, today, is that I can't just follow a religious leader without giving thought for myself about if I believe I am learning from someone who is knowledgeable and seems motivated by the right things, and is doing the right things personally. Not just saying the right things.  At least that is how I read it.

Offline StarGazer

• Long Island, NY
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 08:23:06 pm »
    Hi Laura,

That is actually a very good insight into this. Such can also be said of the teachers of religous law today. Insofar as not doing the correct things as you say. I mean considering what's been peppered all over the news in the past few years about the atrocities committed by some of the supposed "teachers", I would most definitely consider myself much more righteous than they.

Thanks for sharing

Offline Concrete Queen

• Lawrence, KS
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 07:38:57 am »
    Hi all,

Could someone comment on Mathew 5:20? "But I warn you-unless your righteousness is better than the righteousness of the teachers of religious law and the Pharisees, you will never enter the Kingdom of Heaven!"

What is being said here? At first read it appeared that I need to be more righteous than say my local pastor.  :o But that can't be right.

Thanks,
    Chris

My interpretation (FWIW):  The Pharisees were the ultra-orthodox religious.  They kept every single command of Moses and they kept them perfectly and they made sure everyone knew it, too.  Basically in that day and age, if someone asked your average Joe Blow who had God's favor, Joe Blow would point to the Pharisees, because you couldn't get any more "righteous" than they were.  

So what Jesus was said would have been pretty darn frightening, because if the Pharisees weren't righteous enough, who was?  Jesus' point is that works alone aren't enough, your heart has to be right.  Romans 1:17 puts it very nicely --"The righteous shall live by faith."  The Pharisees had faith -- in themselves.  That was why they weren't big fans of Jesus.  Here he was blowing their carefully crafted lives to bits, saying they had to have faith in Him.  For the less "righteous", like our friend Joe Blow who knows he hasn't got a hope on his own, this is fantastic news.

This is applicable to us, not just in watching whom we emulate (we should be emulating Jesus).  It's also a reality check for us.  Are we like the Pharisees, checking off our list of "Good Christian" things -- I go to church, I tithe, I teach Sunday school, therefore I'm right with God.  We need to make sure our hearts are right with God and that we're doing these things to please Him, not to make "check marks" on some imaginary list, like the Pharisees.  

A big problem with "checking off" the "righteous" things we do is that we may begin to feel we're "earning" our salvation.  And if we can "earn" our salvation (we can't), then we become less dependent on God and more dependent on ourselves and our false righteousness, which is a bad, bad place to be.  

The problem with declaring ourselves more righteous than someone else (like the Pharisees did, only they went for everyone else) is that our standard isn't other people.  Our standard is Jesus, where we will always come up short, every single time.  If we compare ourselves with other people, we inevitably choose people against whom we come up "better" and we can become complacent about ourselves, our lives, and our faith.  Complacency is deadly and should be guarded against at all costs.   We should always strive to become more like Jesus, not just better than our fellow sinners.  

The righteous shall live by faith.  

{My credentials -- none.  I'm an armchair theologian.}

Offline Suzanne

• N. Huntingdon, PA
    • No. 336
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 10:56:31 am »
    Concrete Queen, that is such an awesome answer! You really hit the nail on the head!

In Matthew Chapter 23 Jesus really lets the Scribes & Pharisees have it. It is well worth reading that chapter to get a better understanding of what the religious leaders were like in Jesus's day. My impression of them from reading the scriptures is that outwardly they liked to appear good and righteous, but inwardly they were snakes. If they were truly righteous and good, they would have recognized Jesus for who He was, the Messiah. Instead, they plotted to murder Him.

I agree, Concrete Queen, we should never try to imitate ANY human. Our example is Jesus. And like you said, we will always come up short. Which is good in a way. Because like you said, there is no way whatsoever that we can earn salvation on our own. Only through God's grace will we have salvation.

Offline Angela

• Texas
    • aka: tx_angel, A Wayt, Babe, Mom, Grandma, Hey YOU
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011, 04:08:26 pm »
    Very well put Concrete Queen.

Offline StarGazer

• Long Island, NY
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 04:14:43 pm »
    "{My credentials -- none.  I'm an armchair theologian.}"

Very impressive indeed. Thank you. I now have what I think to be a very good understanding of this now.

Offline LauraB

• midwest, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: June 25, 2011, 07:32:54 pm »
    It is June 25th, and I'm still doing the readings each day.  I feel like I am really getting something out of this. I am enjoying reading the word of God each day.  I have tried the one year Bible readings before but always got bogged down by March.  I am so glad I have stuck through it.  This time I decided to take each days reading as it's own and not get to frustrated if I don't understand all of what I read. I figure I'll get more out of the Bible each time I read the book.

Anyone else still at it?

Offline LauraB

• midwest, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: December 22, 2011, 02:43:33 pm »
    I got a little ahead of myself on breaks, and I did it!! I have finished the whole Bible!! I've wanted to do this as long as I can remember and I'm so happy I did.  I read this one:

This next year I'm going to read a New King James Version:

I've sampled and the links work and are good and I want to experience the Bible in a different translation.

Offline Rita

• Kentucky
    • Aspiring Amateur Picture Taker!!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: December 22, 2011, 05:00:31 pm »
    Laura, I read this same edition of the One Year Bible. Like you I had been wanting to read the bible in its entirety and was never able to accomplish it until I came across this bible. It took me a little longer than a year, but I finished it in September. A very great accomplishment indeed! Congratulations!!

Offline CrystalStarr

• View Profile
    Re: Re: 2011 One Year Bible Comments
    « Reply #23 on: January 10, 2012, 06:25:28 pm »
    I've been going through the one year since August or so. Not everyday. If I'm lead to something else in the bible I'll go! I'm up to about mid March. You all will probably pass me by!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement