Author Topic: Reviewing your kindle book with multiple accounts  (Read 6727 times)  

Offline BTackitt

• Texas, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Reviewing your kindle book with multiple accounts
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2010, 02:33:39 pm »
I understand the sentiment, BT, but what about official reviews?  I think the last 10 books I've reviewed have been review copies - and therefore I didn't purchase them.

If I see a review from a true review site that I have heard of, yes, those I will also read, but otherwise, from normal people, if it's not a verified purchase, I give that opinion alot less "weight".
"If man has no tea in him, he is incapable of understanding truth and beauty." ~Japanese Proverb
Screensaver Images: http://s684.photobucket.com/home/B_Tackitt/index

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline purplepen79

• View Profile
      • The House of Landers
    « Reply #26 on: December 17, 2010, 02:41:40 pm »
    Readers on Amazon are pretty savvy when it comes to reviews and indie authors so whatever sales you would make pulling a stunt like this wouldn't pay off in the long run, as you would get a reputation for desperation at best, unethical behavior at worst, when readers inevitably figured it out.  

In fact, after my experience yesterday with a review that I wrote for April Hamilton's The IndieAuthor Guide, I plan not to write another review of a fellow indie author's book any time soon.  I wrote this review several months ago after using Hamilton's Guide to self-publish through CreateSpace and DTP.  The Guide was so helpful to me that I wanted to let others know, so I wrote a review for it on Amazon.  Well, I was browsing yesterday and noticed my review had been voted down by 3 out of 4 people, and April's comment to me about my review had been voted down as well.  Granted, it wasn't the most detailed review, but I can't help feeling that some troll is after me.  The experience showed me that some readers are so wary of practices like "review swapping" and creating fake accounts, that they view even legitimate posts and reviews by writers with distaste.  I've noticed on discussion forums that even popular indie writers have gotten their posts voted down just because some troll had identified them as a writer.  I could write the most thoughtful review in the world for a fellow indie author, but if the fact that I'm an author means that my review might hurt that book's sales, than I won't do it.

If you want Amazon reviews, I would suggest looking for some top 500 or top 1000 Amazon reviewers.  If they have their e-mail address posted in their profile, they may be willing to review your work.  Either that, or check out various review blogs on line--a lot of those folks post to Amazon as well.  Of course, that process doesn't guarantee a good review, but it does guarantee an honest one.
    « Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 02:43:44 pm by purplepen79 »
    THE LANDERS SAGA ~~ Imagine being psychic in a skewed Renaissance world that burns witches at the stake . . .

Offline foreverjuly

• Crank Up The Awesome!
      • View Profile
      • Jason Letts's Blogathon
    « Reply #27 on: December 17, 2010, 02:48:54 pm »
    my review had been voted down by 3 out of 4 people, and April's comment to me about my review had been voted down as well.

Don't let this stop you from writing honest reviews. The voting up or down is almost meaningless. What is meaningful is that you express your opinion on the subject's merits.

Offline purplepen79

• View Profile
      • The House of Landers
    « Reply #28 on: December 17, 2010, 02:53:03 pm »
    Thanks for the confidence boost, foreverjuly.  I tend to get gun-shy pretty quickly with stuff like this--it helps to have someone put things in perspective.  I loved the sinking ship poster by the way.  I want that for our office here at work!
    THE LANDERS SAGA ~~ Imagine being psychic in a skewed Renaissance world that burns witches at the stake . . .

Offline D.A. Boulter

• View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: December 17, 2010, 03:04:45 pm »
    Thanks for the confidence boost, foreverjuly.  I tend to get gun-shy pretty quickly with stuff like this--it helps to have someone put things in perspective.  I loved the sinking ship poster by the way.  I want that for our office here at work!

And you can get it, too.  Go to http://despair.com/viewall.html

My favourite is:

Free: "Prey": http://bit.ly/hiFPUO
    I do not agree to the new terms.

Offline David 'Half-Orc' Dalglish

• Missouri
    • I tell stories.
      • View Profile
      • Official Website
    « Reply #30 on: December 17, 2010, 03:28:26 pm »
      |    |  |

Offline Laurensaga

• Florida
      • View Profile
      • Immortal
    « Reply #31 on: December 17, 2010, 03:55:41 pm »
    David and foreverjuly win the prize on this one. There are several threads at Amazon in the top reviewers community about people doing this. People defended the practice, but mostly it was lambasted. They seek out authors doing this at Amazon and rip them to shreds. If you are thinking about doing this don't. Not only will you give yourself a bad name, but the rest of us as well.

Offline foreverjuly

• Crank Up The Awesome!
      • View Profile
      • Jason Letts's Blogathon
    « Reply #32 on: December 17, 2010, 04:04:00 pm »
    David and foreverjuly win the prize on this one.

YAY! What did I win??

Offline NoahMullette-Gillman

• www.luminousandominous.com
      • View Profile
      • Noah Mullette-Gillman
    « Reply #33 on: December 17, 2010, 04:09:09 pm »

PS - It would have been much cooler if your name had been J'onn J'onzz.

WAAY cooler! ;)

Farther Than We Dreamed Episode One: Clay now FREE on Amazon! www.fartherthanwedreamed.com
    Noah K. Mullette-Gillman | blog | website

Offline nomesque

• Macleay Island, Australia
      • View Profile
      • Deadish Online
    « Reply #34 on: December 17, 2010, 04:14:32 pm »
    OP: Much better to gift copies of your Kindle book to every email address you can harvest off the net. Costs you more than just respect, that way. ;)

Offline xandy3

• K Crumley
      • View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: December 17, 2010, 04:32:30 pm »
    What happens if you do this? You become him.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/42588-robert-stanek-shat-directly-into-my-soul/

That was humorous...then again, I tend to have a sick sense of humor. 
    My favorite line was "...all of the glowing reviews were alternate personalities of Robert Stanek praising himself - some bizarre masturbatory self-promotion scam."

Offline Terrence OBrien

• Kansas City, MO
      • View Profile
      • Terrence OBrien
    « Reply #36 on: December 17, 2010, 05:18:56 pm »
    I can't say it would make you more visible, since those reviews are internal to the Amazon page. They wouldn't influence a consumer to go to the page. However, once a consumer landed on the page, it could make more interesting reading. For the subset of consumers who find reader reviews important, it could enhance sales.

To do this properly, you would need five credit or debit cards in five different names, with addresses distributed across the country. Then the reviews would have to look like they came from different people. It might simply be easier to enlist five accomplices across the country and feed them the reviews for their uploading to Amazon.

Even greater credibility could be had by posting reviews from each of those accounts for other books. In time, you could lead the lives of one famous author and five different reviewers, and control the future course of American literature. Your future could be the Thomas Pynchon of reviews, multiplied by five..
    When ideas become weapons, modern Templars make a last ditch attempt to stop
    terrorists from using an ancient treaty to rally moderate Muslims to their Jihad......

My Web Site: www.OBrienTerrence.com
    For UK Readers At Amazon UK
    For Canadian Readers At Amazon CA

Offline Jeff

• McGregor, Texas
    • Member 95
      • View Profile
      • J. Hepple, Inc.
    « Reply #37 on: December 17, 2010, 05:38:11 pm »
    Hahaha!

Offline Alain Gomez

• California
    • Scifi Short Story Author and Blogger
      • View Profile
      • Alain Gomez
    « Reply #38 on: December 17, 2010, 05:55:46 pm »
    The reviews make very little difference in terms of how visible a product is.  Both Amazon and B&N operate on a sales rank basis.  So if a customer types in certain key words, the products that have sold the most according to the tagged key words come up first.

So 100 sales would have more impact on visibility than 100 reviews.

Offline purplepen79

• View Profile
      • The House of Landers
    « Reply #39 on: December 17, 2010, 08:48:43 pm »
    And you can get it, too.  Go to http://despair.com/viewall.html

Thanks for the link!  In the office where I work, they have the motivational posters all over:  Energy and a lightning bolt, Vision and a lighthouse, Perseverance and some blond wench running up the steps in a stadium.  I go to sleep so I can escape these evil posters and their constant awful cheer.  Now I have a website to visit when the cheerleaders get to me.  Yay for the dark cousins of the cheerleaders: the demotivational posters.  It's what reverse psychology is all about.

And thanks David, for the link to the post about Stanek.  I ran across his books a few months ago on Amazon and couldn't believe what I was reading.  A better example of why one shouild never stoop so low couldn't be found.
    « Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 08:56:27 pm by purplepen79 »

Offline Anne Victory

• Victory Editing
    • The Original "Oops Detector"
      • View Profile
      • Victory Editing
    « Reply #40 on: December 17, 2010, 09:07:29 pm »
    And you can get it, too.  Go to http://despair.com/viewall.html

My favourite is:

God.  Some of those are funny.  Most are depressing.  I had to leave the site :(
    No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style. - Vlad Taltos
    From Jhereg, by Steven Brust

Services Offered - Manuscript Editing & Final Proofing Pass (AKA Oops Detection) - More Information

"An Editor's Tips for Selecting Editors"--Feel free to check out my free article on WritersWin.com.
    My Facebook page--Some silliness, lots of caffeine, and the occasional snippet from a project I'm working on :)

Offline CraigInOregon

• Oregon
    • Novelist
      • View Profile
      • Craig-Hasen.com
    « Reply #41 on: December 17, 2010, 09:21:57 pm »
    Hi,
    I was wondering if I created like 5 amazon accounts and reviewed my own ebook. Would it make my book more visible on amazon if It had a bunch of good reviews????

Definitely not recommended. Unless you want to be known at "that guy."
    I believe the road to hell is paved with adverbs, and I will shout it from the rooftops. -Stephen King

Offline Thumper

• Dixon, CA
    • Will work for cookies
      • View Profile
      • Thumper Thinks Out Loud
    « Reply #42 on: December 17, 2010, 10:03:42 pm »
    Dude, seriously. That's too much work. Just get on Craigslist and offer $5 a pop for good reviews. You'll have 10 just like that!

::)

Offline CraigInOregon

• Oregon
    • Novelist
      • View Profile
      • Craig-Hasen.com
    « Reply #43 on: December 17, 2010, 10:27:58 pm »
    Or.... write a dang good book, and just work on getting the word out that it's available, and let the reviews come naturally.

Nah, that'd make too much sense.
    I believe the road to hell is paved with adverbs, and I will shout it from the rooftops. -Stephen King

Offline chris.truscott

• Minnesota
      • View Profile
      • Fifth Novel -- as I Draft It
    « Reply #44 on: December 17, 2010, 11:04:39 pm »
    Don't do it. It's too sketchy.
    Dramas about life and politics in the 21st century. (And one work of non-fiction--Michele Bachmann's America.)
    http://warofchoice.blogspot.com

Offline LCEvans

• Matthews, NC
      • View Profile
      • L.C. Evans author page
    « Reply #45 on: December 18, 2010, 05:32:23 am »
    Forever July I love those posters.

Johnjoe--you're joking, right?

Offline Jon King

• Ohio
      • View Profile
      • Jon's Line of Sight
    « Reply #46 on: December 18, 2010, 05:40:34 am »
    Flinging a copy of your book at the president is a good way to get more visible, too...and a good probing by guys wearing sunglasses and earpieces.

Blogger/Reviewer

Offline kcmay

• Florida, USA
      • View Profile
      • KC May home page
    « Reply #47 on: December 18, 2010, 05:52:23 am »
    Only if you want to become the next running joke among readers AND writers and lose credibility all over the internet. Otherwise, BAAAAAAD idea!

Offline Terrence OBrien

• Kansas City, MO
      • View Profile
      • Terrence OBrien
    « Reply #48 on: December 18, 2010, 08:12:16 am »
    So, how do we know this is not being successfully done? Picture a characer who has successfully pioneered eBooks as best sellers using his own reviews, lives a very comfortable life, attends MOMA openings in his own tuxedo, pontificates on his blog about the pivotal responsibility of the post millennial author in an age of angst, and is now threatened with ruin as the bank on which the credit cards were drawn has been shut down by pale, flinty-eyed examiners. Look how long Bernie Madoff ran. Would Tom Wolfe pay for this idea?
    When ideas become weapons, modern Templars make a last ditch attempt to stop
    terrorists from using an ancient treaty to rally moderate Muslims to their Jihad......

My Web Site: www.OBrienTerrence.com
    For UK Readers At Amazon UK
    For Canadian Readers At Amazon CA

Offline farrellclaire

• Ireland
      • View Profile
    « Reply #49 on: December 18, 2010, 08:38:14 am »
    Who cares if it works?  It's wrong.  It's mean and dishonest to trick people into buying something. 

Even if nobody ever found out about it, even if people get away with it, it's never going to be the right thing to do.  Just . . . don't.   >:(

KBoards.com

• Advertisement