Author Topic: Lending Books (discussion of the Kindle lending feature)  (Read 32171 times)  

Online amyberta

• View Profile
Lending Books (discussion of the Kindle lending feature)
« on: December 29, 2010, 11:06:45 am »
Does anybody know when we can start lending books?

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 03:12:19 pm by Harvey »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline history_lover

• CO
      • View Profile
      • Historical Readings & Reviews
    Re: Lending Books
    « Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 11:36:35 am »
    No, Amazon haven't announced an exact date. They previously just said "later this year" but unless they're cutting it very close, I imagine it got delayed. The least they could do is make another announcement about a delay - I hate being left in the dark.

Online amyberta

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 12:21:34 pm »
    Thanks, me too.

Offline deppeler

• View Profile
    E-Book loaning
    « Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 03:47:01 pm »
    Hi,

I am a new Kindle owner and saw when I read through the blurb that E-book loaning was coming to the Kindle by years end...any idea when???

Offline jbender

• View Profile
    Re: E-Book loaning
    « Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 12:05:11 am »
    was wondering the same thing, guess we see if released today or tomorrow, kinda thought it would be in beta first

Offline gentlespirit512

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 01:56:58 am »
    I saw in on one of my books when I clicked on it at the Amazon site--only one, though.

Offline foreverjuly

• Crank Up The Awesome!
      • View Profile
      • Jason Letts's Blogathon
    « Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 05:27:44 am »
    I think someone mentioned somewhere that it's just being introduced now. Some books might already have it. I'm not sure how they are going to roll out the feature.

Offline karenh1996

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 05:46:25 am »
    Hey, take a look at this link....http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_rel_topic?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200549320

Looks like it is enabled now!!
    I had heard that once you loan a book, you cannot loan again but not sure as the FAQ didn't say anything of that.

Offline jhanel

• Tulsa, OK
      • View Profile
      • Jerry Hanel
    « Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 05:53:52 am »
    Wow... okay, that's pretty cool. I like the idea that if I like a book, I can hand my "copy" to someone else, but still only one person at a time can view it... very similar to traditional books.

That's the common problem I hear with Kindle: "If I buy I paper book, I can let my friends read a book i like. Why can't I let them read my ebooks?"

Well... it appears that now they can. No more excuses to NOT buy a kindle. =)

Jerry Hanel | Website | Twitter | Facebook

Offline theaatkinson

• Canada
    • Fiction to the Left of Mainstream
      • View Profile
      • GonzoInk
    « Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 05:59:38 am »
    very cool. I just checked and all my books have lending enabled.

Fiction to the left of Mainstream| Phoenix is FREE
    Thea Atkinson | get more freebies

Offline Hoosiermama

• Central Indiana
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 06:01:14 am »
    I just test loaned a book to my cousin. From my list of books, it looks like a lot of the books with traditional publishers aren't loanable...at least yet. Looks like it's mostly indie books so far. Hopefully some of the others will be loanable, too. Does anyone know if ALL books on the Nook are loanable? Just curious.
    --Mary (Kindle Fire and Kindle Touch)

Offline Jasonmh

• New Mexico
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 06:08:34 am »
    Looks like it is working, very cool.  As expected, looks like quite a few publishers are opting out, but still a cool idea.

Offline vermontcathy

• I don't believe in gravity but stuff keeps falling
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 06:38:49 am »
    NOT all the books on the nook are loanable. I heard it's about 1/3.

I noticed it's not just the "big 5" publishers that haven't turned on lending. Even books that were free when I got them can't be lent! (such as Stupid Christmas). On my first page of books on Manage Your Kindle, only one of mine is loanable - and it was free.

I also can't figure out how they have implemented this without a software update. How does my kindle know not to let me open a book I've lent? If the book is already on my kindle, and I lend it... does it get deleted? Or is it just not openable? The help page says I'll be unable to redownload the title, which makes it sound like if it's on my kindle already, I can still read it.

Can someone who had tried this let me know? I don't  know anyone else with a kindle (except my mom with whom I share an account).

Offline brandydandy

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 07:06:08 am »
    Some of my books are lendable some are not.

I guess I am wondering why Amazon has not made a huge annoucement about this.  I know there last quarter sells were awesome.  So maybe they are wanting some testers before it is known to everyone.

I love my Kindle even a little more now. :)

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not really a moderator. :)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 07:14:35 am »
    Honestly, I don't see myself using the lending feature much -- but it is a cool concept and I can see where it will be very nice for many.  I expect there will be an 'official' announcement sometime later today. . . .they would want to be sure it was all up and running smoothly before announcing or else people would whine. . . . .
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline jhanel

• Tulsa, OK
      • View Profile
      • Jerry Hanel
    « Reply #15 on: December 30, 2010, 07:15:59 am »

I also can't figure out how they have implemented this without a software update. How does my kindle know not to let me open a book I've lent?

Okay, being an I.T. guy, I have to agree with Cathy... If I go online and lend it (not through the Kindle, right???)... how does my device know that I've done something online? All I'd have to do is keep Wi-Fi/3G off, and the book on the device has no clue that I've done anything online. The message doesn't get through. Have we just discovered a pirate hole??

If so, I may have to re-think this a bit. I want to enable lending. I think it's a great idea, but the "lend" has to happen from the device, or the web ONLY if it's not already on your device... but then it gets confusing to the user.....

Someone at Amazon that is smarter than me must have already figured this out, right? If anyone has a kindle and has tested the loan, let us know. Can you "pirate" a book by leaving the wifi/3g off?

Jerry Hanel | Website | Twitter | Facebook

Offline history_lover

• CO
      • View Profile
      • Historical Readings & Reviews
    « Reply #16 on: December 30, 2010, 07:21:58 am »

Only 16 of the books I have are loanable. Excluding the free/public domain books, I have about 75 Kindle books. So that's about 21%, not even 1/4, let alone 1/3. I really do hate publishers sometimes.

Offline PraiseGod13

• Iowa
    • <'///>< Member #54
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: December 30, 2010, 07:26:20 am »
    Now, one of my dilemmas is going to be that I have a DIL and a SIL with Kindles.... and we all have basically the same taste in books.... and I'll have to choose which one of them I loan one of my books to since you can only loan each book one time.  This is not going to be pretty...... but I do like the feature.....

MaKK (K1) & Shemar (K3)
    Books let us into their souls and lay open to us the secrets of our own. ~ William Hazl

Offline vermontcathy

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: December 30, 2010, 07:31:10 am »
    OK, I lent a book and here's some more info:

If I lend a book and don't turn on wireless, I can continue reading it (makes sense - they can't affect my kindle unless I turn on wireless).

When I turn on wireless, the book is deleted off my kindle and I can't download it from the archive. It looks normal in the archive, but when I try to download it, it says it can't because it is on loan. This is an example of how I'm wondering how they did this without a software update - where is the code that says to put that text on the screen regarding it being on loan? Either the code had generic abilities (code says if there is a problem downloading, display whatever message Amazon sends). Another option is that the loan code was already there in a previous software version, it just never showed up because Amazon's website wasn't letting us lend.

A "notice" is sent to my kindle explaining where my book is. This notice is at the top of the home page no matter how I sort, even if I put the notice in a collection. Only way to make it go away from the top of the home page is to delete it. Again, this makes me think the lending ability was already in the software, we just didn't know. How else would it know to put these notices at the top, regardless of sort?

Offline Elk

• View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: December 30, 2010, 07:32:29 am »
    All I'd have to do is keep Wi-Fi/3G off, and the book on the device has no clue that I've done anything online.

It will be fun to see what what we learn in the next couple of days.

Perhaps w-fi must be on to initiate lending; that is, the right to read on your Kindle must be released before the loan goes through.

Update: Nope.  The loan goes through with wireless off.  See above post.  I wasn't quick enough initially.   ;D
    « Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 07:34:57 am by Elk »

Offline vermontcathy

• View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: December 30, 2010, 07:33:26 am »
    Now, one of my dilemmas is going to be that I have a DIL and a SIL with Kindles.... and we all have basically the same taste in books.... and I'll have to choose which one of them I loan one of my books to since you can only loan each book one time.  This is not going to be pretty...... but I do like the feature.....

If you register all three kindles to the same Amazon account, you can share all your books as much as you like. You can even have them temporarily register to your account, download books, then go back to their own account if they don't want to stay on yours.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not really a moderator. :)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: December 30, 2010, 07:35:43 am »

Someone at Amazon that is smarter than me must have already figured this out, right? If anyone has a kindle and has tested the loan, let us know. Can you "pirate" a book by leaving the wifi/3g off?

I would guess that, theoretically, you could have it on your Kindle and loan it from your archive.  They probably would not pull it from your Kindle when you did that.    So, yes, technically, you could have it and your friend as well for two weeks -- if you never connect your Kindle.  Maybe.  Maybe they would pull it from the device when loaned.  I guess we'll see. edit: never mind, Cathy says they will be pulled once you connect.

Also, theoretically, the lendee may be able to leave it on his/her Kindle after the 14 day period. . .but it's also possible that it's set to be disabled after that time and it could be an automatic thing in the book file that wouldn't need a connection.  I'm sure that it will be set to be pulled once it's connected after the lending period is up, and it will go away.  Even if the friend could keep it, though, it's just one copy extra. . . . if someone really wanted to defeat the copy protection and distribute unlawfully, they don't need to 'borrow' or 'lend' a book to do it.

Really, we won't know for sure what happens for at least 2 weeks when the first batch of loaned books are due back. . . . .:)

edited to add after reading Cathy's post:  I don't think it's any part of the Kindle software -- I think it's all down to how the files are stored and tagged on Amazon's servers. . . . . .
    « Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 07:39:24 am by Ann in Arlington »
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline LauraB

• midwest, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: December 30, 2010, 08:02:38 am »
    On my first 5 pages of books on my archive only 5 books are loanable  ::) .  Doubt I'll be using it much.
    Books read in 2010: 43 2011: 42 + the Bible 2012: 60; books read 2013:56*

Offline karichelle

• View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: December 30, 2010, 08:16:34 am »
    I don't see any of what that page is talking about -- not even info on whether or not a book is loanable from the main product page. I wonder if this is some kind of a limited rollout beta?

Does anyone know if Nicholas Sparks, Safe Haven is loanable? Anyone have it and would be willing to loan it? LOL

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: December 30, 2010, 08:33:48 am »
    karichelle, you can see if a book is lendable by scrolling down to where the file size and publishers are listed. It will say
    Lending : enabled if it is.
     :)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement