Author Topic: Lending Books (discussion of the Kindle lending feature)  (Read 32172 times)  

Offline gina1230

• Amarillo, Tx
  • Angel
    • View Profile
Re: Lending Books
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2010, 12:59:54 pm »
Also, on "Manage Your Kindle", if you click the + sign for a book you have bought, if it is lendable, there will be a button for lending the book.

Thanks for the tip.  I was thinking I would have to check my books one by one.  This will be much easier.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #51 on: December 30, 2010, 01:02:43 pm »
    I would be interested in seeing if I can read a "loaned" book on my K1.  Does anyone know if that's possible?  Anyone want to loan me a book so I can try it out?  ;D  (I can always read them on my iPad.)

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline MLPMom

• View Profile
      • My Guilty Obsession Book Reviews
    « Reply #52 on: December 30, 2010, 01:13:40 pm »
    I would be interested in seeing if I can read a "loaned" book on my K1.  Does anyone know if that's possible?  Anyone want to loan me a book so I can try it out?  ;D  (I can always read them on my iPad.)

Betsy
    I will! If I have one you would be interested in that is loanable. You can PM me if you want. :)
    The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.-Jane Austen
    I also have a book blog where I review a new Indie Author every week. http://myguiltyobsession.blogspot.com/

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #53 on: December 30, 2010, 01:20:25 pm »
    I will! If I have one you would be interested in that is loanable. You can PM me if you want. :)

Pm me with a couple choices (i'm generally pretty easy) and I'll Pm you back with my email and choice!

Betsy

Offline scottnicholson

• View Profile
    « Reply #54 on: December 30, 2010, 01:44:49 pm »
    It sounds like a pretty good compromise to me--readers get to share something they love, writers get to meet new readers, publishers don't get so scared about nobody ever buying books again. I look forward to trying this out.

Scott

Offline Alice Y. Yeh

• Ann Arbor, MI
      • View Profile
      • Alice Unblocked
    « Reply #55 on: December 30, 2010, 01:52:55 pm »
    Based on what Amazon's page says, and also if Amazon is following the Nook model, the book is loanable once, period.  So pick the person you loan it to carefully.  ;)

Betsy

Why does that suddenly remind me of a cell phone commercial?

I can see what they're going for here, but oddly enough, I'm actually less likely to lend a book now, since I only ever get once "chance" to lend it out. If the object is to get more people hooked on Kindle, those of us who think this way won't really be contributing.

• Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #56 on: December 30, 2010, 02:43:58 pm »
    OK, I'm happy to report the lending feature works fine for those of us with K1s...which lends credence to the idea that it's a web-based feature.

MLPMom sent me an invite (the email I provided her was the one that I use for KindleBoards, which is neither one of my approved Kindle addresses nor the main one I use for Amazon, and it worked).

I opened the email on my iPad, clicked on the "Get your loaned book now" button which took me to a web page that allowed me to designate which of my registered devices to send the book to.  I chose the K1.

Had to charge the K1 because I'd left the wireless on and haven't read any the last week or so.  Once I did, the books I'd purchased and the loaned book downloaded, and I was able to open the loaned book!  Yay, for once a new feature that the K1 crowd can take part in!!!

Note that, once you've sent it to one device, you can't resend it to a different device.  If I click on the "Get your loaned book now" button in the email now, the area on the web page where I could download now says "This loan offer has already been redeemed and is no longer available."  So make sure it is going to the device you want it to go to!

I discovered that you can put it on multiple devices--you go to "Manage Your Kindle."  Loaned books will be listed with the rest of your books and you can download it to a different device from that screen.

Thanks!

Betsy
    « Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 02:09:02 am by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline CaraMarsi27

• View Profile
      • Cara Marsi
    « Reply #57 on: December 30, 2010, 02:47:08 pm »
    I got an email today from Amazon saying lending is now available. Two of my books are stating they're lending enabled so I assume it's available.

Offline MLPMom

• View Profile
    « Reply #58 on: December 30, 2010, 02:48:20 pm »
    I also noticed that I didn't get any kind of email saying I had lent the book out but if I go to my Manage Your Kindle page and click on the book, it shows the date it was lent and the date it will be returned back to me and of course the "loan this book" feature is no longer there.

I am so glad it works for the K1s and thanks for the heads up about only being able to read it on the one device only feature. That is good to know. :)
    The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.-Jane Austen
    I also have a book blog where I review a new Indie Author every week. http://myguiltyobsession.blogspot.com/

Offline amyberta

• View Profile
    « Reply #59 on: December 30, 2010, 02:58:28 pm »
    I think a book can be loaned more than once, just not to the same person.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #60 on: December 30, 2010, 03:00:43 pm »
    Nope, just once period. Thats how its set up on the Nook too. Once you lend it, thats it, never again. At least with the current way its set up.

Offline Geoffrey

• Dallas, Texas
    • Live! Live! Live! Life is a Banquet!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #61 on: December 30, 2010, 03:14:18 pm »
    when checking my books I initially thought my more recent purchases were more likely to be lendable but it ain't necessarily so.

Overall, my Amazon books are 35.6% lendable with 43% for the last half of 2010 and 22% for the last half of 08 .... but the three half-years in between are all in the mid-60's so there's not really a trend ... but I did have fun crunching the numbers so hurray.  Now I just need to update goodreads to show what isn't lendable ....

Offline MLPMom

• View Profile
    « Reply #62 on: December 30, 2010, 03:54:24 pm »
    I think it might be the publishing agencies rather than anything else. I know I have two favorite authors both with the same publishing agency and neither have the option to lend their books out.

I am actually kind of sad about the lack of authors that are available so far. I am hoping that changes with time.

Offline MamaKindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #63 on: December 30, 2010, 04:02:23 pm »
    This is exciting to me, provided more books become available for lending. One of the reasons why I originally didn't want a Kindle was because my mom and I often share books, but now we both have a Kindle, so problem solved!

Offline Luvmy5brats

• Enabler Extraordinaire
    • Eastern Shore, MD
      • View Profile
    « Reply #64 on: December 30, 2010, 04:15:06 pm »
    This is exciting to me, provided more books become available for lending. One of the reasons why I originally didn't want a Kindle was because my mom and I often share books, but now we both have a Kindle, so problem solved!

If you and your mom are on the same account, you can share all of your books.

Offline Tabby

• Louisiana
      • View Profile
    « Reply #65 on: December 30, 2010, 06:05:03 pm »
    I joined the booksformykindle lending site, but I haven't added any books yet. Only a few of my purchased books can be loaned. It would be great if the KB had some sort of organized loaning system like booksformykindle. I may wait a bit to see what happens here before adding my books there.

Offline PraiseGod13

• Iowa
    • <'///>< Member #54
      • View Profile
    « Reply #66 on: December 30, 2010, 06:07:19 pm »
    If you register all three kindles to the same Amazon account, you can share all your books as much as you like. You can even have them temporarily register to your account, download books, then go back to their own account if they don't want to stay on yours.

I had posted a few months ago when I bought my DIL her Kindle, that I was thinking I should put her on my account because both she and my son had lost their jobs and she had no $$ for books.  I thought I would help get her started... and then when they got back on their feet, she could get her own account and buy books.  It was basically "suggested" that that would not be ethical and that I should have her get her own account and then I should buy her Amazon gift cards.... so that is what I have done.  Now she still has very little $$ (they have a young baby) and I am limited in helping them because my job has been eliminated.... so the best I can do is lend her books.... but that will leave my SIL without loaned books.... and I feel bad about having to choose between them.  Okay, so the publishers didn't want to give us unlimited lending ability.... but couldn't they have given us 5 loans/book.... or something like that?  I have always loaned my DTBs to as many people as I could so they could enjoy reading them too. Many of us single moms who had very limited $$ would share books all the time.  I also shared with other people who did not have the financial ability to get the book for themselves... or didn't live close to a library like me. One two week loan per book per lifetime??  I guess it's something.... but I'm VERY disappointed.

MaKK (K1) & Shemar (K3)
    Books let us into their souls and lay open to us the secrets of our own. ~ William Hazl

Offline ak rain

• In the AK Rainforest
      • View Profile
    « Reply #67 on: December 30, 2010, 06:22:35 pm »
    thank you to those that wrote in about extending 14 day by shutting off WN. I am not trying to keep book but worry about my slow reading. Still unsure of book will shut off at 14 days or will dissapeer at contact with WN. It does sound like it could be done via USB cable.
    now I just wish I could work with my little sister with a nook and trade books back and forth now that would be cool. future maybe
    sylvia
    The more you read, the more you know. The more you know, the smarter you grow.

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline amyrebecca

• View Profile
    « Reply #68 on: December 30, 2010, 07:30:57 pm »
    PraiseGod13, it sounds like you might now consider registering the other Kindles to your account and going that route. But you decide, of course, with no influences or suggestions this time.  Mom got my old kindle which remains registered to me and we will share our books.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #69 on: December 30, 2010, 07:36:39 pm »
    I had posted a few months ago when I bought my DIL her Kindle, that I was thinking I should put her on my account because both she and my son had lost their jobs and she had no $$ for books.  I thought I would help get her started... and then when they got back on their feet, she could get her own account and buy books.  It was basically "suggested" that that would not be ethical and that I should have her get her own account and then I should buy her Amazon gift cards.... so that is what I have done.  Now she still has very little $$ (they have a young baby) and I am limited in helping them because my job has been eliminated.... so the best I can do is lend her books.... but that will leave my SIL without loaned books.... and I feel bad about having to choose between them.  Okay, so the publishers didn't want to give us unlimited lending ability.... but couldn't they have given us 5 loans/book.... or something like that?  I have always loaned my DTBs to as many people as I could so they could enjoy reading them too. Many of us single moms who had very limited $$ would share books all the time.  I also shared with other people who did not have the financial ability to get the book for themselves... or didn't live close to a library like me. One two week loan per book per lifetime??  I guess it's something.... but I'm VERY disappointed.

You can always just put her on your account, send all the books you think she might like to it and then she can go back on hers. Do it once in a while to collect your newly purchased books. I read people doing this all the time.
    I see nothing wrong with that at all.

Offline DHammons

• Oak Harbor, WA
      • View Profile
      • The Bean Straw
    « Reply #70 on: December 30, 2010, 07:52:30 pm »
    I wonder if this lending technology will lend itself to some sort of online library e-lending system sometime in the future - like the local library. Imagine never having to go to the library and never having to put any books on hold because there is an infinite amount copies available. I am sure there is a ton of copyright problems to be worked out before that happens.
    You miss strolling on The Far Side? Then take a walk through The Bean Straw!!
     :o FREE COPY!!!! :o of my book in exchange for an Amazon review. Send me a personal message for details!

Offline mtcoco

• alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
    Lending Kindle Books officially started ?!
    « Reply #71 on: December 30, 2010, 08:28:52 pm »
    I just saw on FB kindle announced Lending Kindle Books started today~!   
    How exciting!!! 
     here is the link I got.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_200549320_loan?nodeId=200549320&#loan

coco

Offline MichelleR

• MN
      • View Profile
    « Reply #72 on: December 30, 2010, 08:35:49 pm »
    Once you ascertain which books you can lend, the process is pretty simple. You just need the person's email and it takes less than a minute to send it off.
    Michelle
    Well we all shine on
    Like the moon and the stars and the sun

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
    • KB Member #43
      • View Profile
    « Reply #73 on: December 30, 2010, 08:49:13 pm »
    If I had to bet money, I'd say yes, if you don't turn on wireless on your kindle, then you can have it (and have it work) past the 14 days. ePubs do have an "expiration date" where they stop working on the nook (either due to library loan or loan from another nook user). But I doubt kindle files have that (I could be wrong).

Actually, a library book on the nook will remain readable past its "expiration date" as long as you don't exit from that book and don't turn on wireless (which requires exiting the book anyway on the nook).  I suspect lent Kindle books will be the same.
    em
    Kindling since August 2008, 2nd & 1st gen Oasis, 2 Fire HD6s, iPad Mini for PDFs

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
    • KB Member #43
      • View Profile
    « Reply #74 on: December 30, 2010, 09:02:25 pm »
    I wonder if this lending technology will lend itself to some sort of online library e-lending system sometime in the future - like the local library. Imagine never having to go to the library and never having to put any books on hold because there is an infinite amount copies available. I am sure there is a ton of copyright problems to be worked out before that happens.

You can download library books now for ePub eReaders like nook, Sony, Kobo - or even read them on your computer with Adobe Digital Editions.  But you still have to put (some) books on hold - there aren't "infinite" downloads, each library pays for a certain number of "copies" allowed to be lent at one time (like paper library books). 
    em
    Kindling since August 2008, 2nd & 1st gen Oasis, 2 Fire HD6s, iPad Mini for PDFs

KBoards.com

• Advertisement