Author Topic: Lending Books (discussion of the Kindle lending feature)  (Read 32173 times)  

Offline TheRiddler

• London, UK
    • View Profile
Re: Lending Books
« Reply #75 on: December 31, 2010, 01:03:44 am »
Grumble - yet again I'm feeling left out as a .co.uk user

Anyone know if / when the lending feature is coming across the Atlantic?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline chipotle

• View Profile
    « Reply #76 on: December 31, 2010, 01:51:26 am »
    Does anyone know what happens to highlights and notes when you lend out a book? I have about 50 Kindle cookbooks and I put highlights in each book to remember recipes I want to try. If I lend it to someone do they have the ability to add or delete my highlights?

I'm going through my archives looking for lendable books and I've found that with one exception (the Diva series), ALL of the cozy mystery books I have are lendable.

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #77 on: December 31, 2010, 02:01:59 am »
    I had posted a few months ago when I bought my DIL her Kindle, that I was thinking I should put her on my account because both she and my son had lost their jobs and she had no $$ for books.  I thought I would help get her started... and then when they got back on their feet, she could get her own account and buy books.  It was basically "suggested" that that would not be ethical and that I should have her get her own account and then I should buy her Amazon gift cards.... so that is what I have done.  

I don't see why it would be unethical to have them on your account and share books.  Amazon has set it up so that people on a single accoint can share books.  If they stop being on the account, one could make an argument that those books downloaded from your account should be removed, but as long as they are on your account, they have free access to anything you have purchased...my brother and I share my account!

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #78 on: December 31, 2010, 02:04:40 am »
    Does anyone know what happens to highlights and notes when you lend out a book? I have about 50 Kindle cookbooks and I put highlights in each book to remember recipes I want to try. If I lend it to someone do they have the ability to add or delete my highlights?

I'm going through my archives looking for lendable books and I've found that with one exception (the Diva series), ALL of the cozy mystery books I have are lendable.

I can't speak for deleting, the book I borrowed had no highlights, but I was able to highlight something in it.

Betsy

• Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #79 on: December 31, 2010, 02:06:15 am »
    You can download library books now for ePub eReaders like nook, Sony, Kobo - or even read them on your computer with Adobe Digital Editions.  But you still have to put (some) books on hold - there aren't "infinite" downloads, each library pays for a certain number of "copies" allowed to be lent at one time (like paper library books). 
    Exactly right.  The library pays for a number of licenses; I've had a number of books on hold at our library.  And add the iPad to the eReaders you can read library books on.

Betsy

• Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #80 on: December 31, 2010, 02:11:25 am »
    I am so glad it works for the K1s and thanks for the heads up about only being able to read it on the one device only feature. That is good to know. :)

Hey, I'm pleased to report that I was wrong, wrong, wrong.  :D  (Gee, that never happens, LOL!)

You CAN download to other devices, you just do it from the Manage Your Kindle page.  The loaned book will be in your list of books, and from that page you can designate a different (or the same) device to download to.  I've edited my original post to reflect that!

Betsy

Offline Figment

• View Profile
    « Reply #81 on: December 31, 2010, 06:51:36 am »
    I don't see why it would be unethical to have them on your account and share books.  Amazon has set it up so that people on a single accoint can share books.  If they stop being on the account, one could make an argument that those books downloaded from your account should be removed, but as long as they are on your account, they have free access to anything you have purchased...my brother and I share my account!

Betsy

I have to agree with Betsy on this one.  I share my account with an older sister, two nieces, and my best friend.  All of the Kindles are registered to my account.  We all buy books (and pay for them with the purchase of e-mailed gift cards which immediately get applied to the account on which we try to keep a balance of $50 or so in the event someone sees something they JUST MUST HAVE and it's right before pay day), and they are available to all of us for download. 

I would think if this was something Amazon considered "unethical" in any way, we'd not have the capability of registering multiple devices on the same account.

I say GO FOR IT!
    Alors, sans avoir rien que la force d'aimer, nous aurons dans nos mains le monde entier.  J. Brel

Offline Elk

• View Profile
    « Reply #82 on: December 31, 2010, 07:19:14 am »
    I had posted a few months ago when I bought my DIL her Kindle, that I was thinking I should put her on my account because both she and my son had lost their jobs and she had no $$ for books.  I thought I would help get her started... and then when they got back on their feet, she could get her own account and buy books.  It was basically "suggested" that that would not be ethical . . .  

I also shared with other people who did not have the financial ability to get the book for themselves... or didn't live close to a library like me. One two week loan per book per lifetime??  I guess it's something.... but I'm VERY disappointed.

You are exceedingly kind and generous to those around you.

Your story is a compelling reason for publishers to allow more lending. 

It would be appropriate for your daughter in law to register on your account so that she can read your books.  To not violate the terms of service she needs to remain on the account as she is reading them and to delete them immediately upon deregistering from your account.

I find this both legal and ethical, as well as a way for you to help take care of others.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not really a moderator. :)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #83 on: December 31, 2010, 08:00:55 am »
    Bufo Calvin has what I think is a very good Q&A on his blog (I Love My Kindle) today.

http://ilmk.wordpress.com/2010/12/31/frequently-asked-kindle-questions-special-book-lending-edition/

And note that we have a thread here for borrowing and lending:  https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,47011.0.html and that we hope to get a dedicated sub board set up as well. . . . .
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
    • KB Member #43
      • View Profile
    « Reply #84 on: December 31, 2010, 09:42:20 am »
    Exactly right.  The library pays for a number of licenses; I've had a number of books on hold at our library.  And add the iPad to the eReaders you can read library books on.

Betsy

Yep, and iPhone and Touch with the Bluefire Reader app.  Or the Overdrive app, but I'm perfectly happy with Bluefire Reader so haven't messed with the Overdrive app yet. (Has it been released yet??  Seems like I saw that it was imminent, or maybe even already out.)
    em
    Kindling since August 2008, 2nd & 1st gen Oasis, 2 Fire HD6s, iPad Mini for PDFs

Offline MLPMom

• View Profile
      • My Guilty Obsession Book Reviews
    « Reply #85 on: December 31, 2010, 11:28:29 am »
    So after you loan a book out, when you turn your wireless on it will take the book away from your collection (if it is in one) and then on the first page it has the title and "Notice [on loan]" next to it. I can see all four books that I have loaned out on it.

Pretty neat actually and lets you see right away what you lent out.
    The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.-Jane Austen
    I also have a book blog where I review a new Indie Author every week. http://myguiltyobsession.blogspot.com/

Offline Robin

• Charlotte, NC
      • View Profile
    « Reply #86 on: December 31, 2010, 12:45:38 pm »
    I hope they make more books loanable - I'm finding very few of mine are. It would be really nice to share with a reading group friend who also has a Kindle.

Offline MichelleR

• MN
      • View Profile
    « Reply #87 on: December 31, 2010, 12:57:10 pm »
    I have to agree with Betsy on this one.  I share my account with an older sister, two nieces, and my best friend.  All of the Kindles are registered to my account.  We all buy books (and pay for them with the purchase of e-mailed gift cards which immediately get applied to the account on which we try to keep a balance of $50 or so in the event someone sees something they JUST MUST HAVE and it's right before pay day), and they are available to all of us for download. 

I would think if this was something Amazon considered "unethical" in any way, we'd not have the capability of registering multiple devices on the same account.

I say GO FOR IT!

I remember this discussion happening on a blog. I believe an author was angry over someone doing that. The result was several people calling Amazon and being told it was allowed. I think one employee said they'd rather it didn't happen, but that it was in no way against the rules. I'm ridiculously ethical for the internet age, having shockingly never pirated anything and find the conversations about removing DRM disturbing, but I'd have no qualms about sharing an account with friends. I suspect Amazon set it up that way on purpose, but can't state it that way for fear of making pubs cranky. I think they get that readers being excited about books, having the positive enforcement of sharing books, actually sells books in the long run.

Michelle
    Well we all shine on
    Like the moon and the stars and the sun

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
    • Bellingham WA
    • Love all, moderate all.
      • View Profile
      • KBoards
    « Reply #88 on: December 31, 2010, 01:10:49 pm »
    We've created a Lend and Borrow Exchange board, and so we're moving this thread (and other lending threads) to that board. It's a sub-board under the Book Corner board.
    Flint and Flame: 15%

Authors: set up your own work-in-progress bar with our Author Sig tool.

GoblinWriter

Re: Lending Books (discussion of the Kindle lending feature)
    « Reply #89 on: December 31, 2010, 05:02:25 pm »
    All my 99-cent indie books are available to lend and none of my $9.99 ebooks from traditional publishers. Gee. :P I hope some more publishers get on board!

Offline john_a_karr

• Raleigh and Wilmington, NC
    • write on
      • View Profile
      • John A. Karr, writer
    « Reply #90 on: January 02, 2011, 08:13:28 am »
    I understand that lending can get a writer's name recognition higher, but if I read a book loaned from the library I don't turn around and buy it. I'm done with that title. When decent books are priced .99 to 4.99, I don't see as much a need to lend in general, even if unemployed (which has happened to me a couple times).

Since we can all sample from Kindle before buying, guess I'm not really getting the importance of the lending thing in general.

Offline MichelleR

• MN
      • View Profile
    « Reply #91 on: January 02, 2011, 03:37:01 pm »
    I understand that lending can get a writer's name recognition higher, but if I read a book loaned from the library I don't turn around and buy it. I'm done with that title. When decent books are priced .99 to 4.99, I don't see as much a need to lend in general, even if unemployed (which has happened to me a couple times).

Since we can all sample from Kindle before buying, guess I'm not really getting the importance of the lending thing in general.

I don't have much desire to borrow books -- never cared that Kindle doesn't allow library lending -- but I'm happy to lend what I have. The great thing about the Kindle is it allows people to read what they want, the way they want. Lending makes that all the more so for people who like to borrow books and aren't into filling up their devices willy-nilly. Just because it's not my thing doesn't mean I don't think it's a good thing.

Some people, if they really like a book, will buy a copy, because I've known people like that. In fact, one of my book shelves has some of my favorite childhood books that I tracked down as an adult. Yes, I read them before, but there's sentimental value there and some people are sentimental about books and have a keeper shelf. Some people really do reread favorites. If someone really loves a book from a library or lending and is the kind to have a keeper shelf (or folder), then it follows that they would buy a copy. Even people without keeper shelves but books they love as gifts for others. There are books I've purchased 6 or 7 copies off over the years because I want to share them with others. (And Amazon does have the gifting ability now.)
    Michelle
    Well we all shine on
    Like the moon and the stars and the sun

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
    • Nothin' but a hound dog.
      • View Profile
      • Carmen-Ashland Building
    « Reply #92 on: January 02, 2011, 03:43:15 pm »
    Some people, if they really like a book, will buy a copy, because I've known people like that.

... or they will pick up other books from the same author.
       my e-readers: Kindle 2 Kindle 3 nook iPad Sony-950

• Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #93 on: January 02, 2011, 04:58:56 pm »
    If I get hooked on an author, I WILL buy books even if I read them first from the library or loaned from a friend, because I re-read books I love....  I started reading Robert Parker, Lee Child and JD Robb as library books, then had to get all the books in the series as paper books; now I'm re-buying them as ebooks.

And I find I'm reading lent books that I would probably not actually buy, but I'm curious about the buzz about them.  Yes, I could sample, but I've read books that really didn't grab me until the last few chapters.  (I rarely stop reading a book part way through.)  And those last chapters made the earlier part worthwhile.

Betsy

Offline arshield

• Marietta, GA
      • View Profile
      • Bookwi.se
    « Reply #94 on: January 03, 2011, 03:21:05 am »
    Does anyone know a way to export your lendable kindle books into a list.  Not really excited to check each of my books individually.

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
    • KB Member #43
      • View Profile
    « Reply #95 on: January 03, 2011, 03:03:56 pm »

Some people, if they really like a book, will buy a copy, because I've known people like that.

This may well happen with the book you loaned to me - I'm only a couple of chapters in (because I couldn't stay awake last night) but I liked the writer's style so far.  I have the next two books in the series on Kindle already and if I like it as much as I think I will, I might buy this first one for my daughters to read (they're on my account). 
    em
    Kindling since August 2008, 2nd & 1st gen Oasis, 2 Fire HD6s, iPad Mini for PDFs

Offline Belle2Be

• View Profile
    « Reply #96 on: January 13, 2011, 12:21:36 pm »
    Does anyone know if the file "self destructs" after 2 weeks yet?
    Click Me for an awesome lending site!

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
    • KB Member #43
      • View Profile
    « Reply #97 on: January 13, 2011, 07:26:30 pm »
    Does anyone know if the file "self destructs" after 2 weeks yet?

I'll know in 3 days - I just got an e-mail from Amazon reminding me that my borrowed book expires in 3 days.  I'm leaving it open on my Kindle (finished it and am reading a library book on my nook right now) so we'll see what happens when I try to open it Monday.

And here's what the e-mail said:  "We wanted to remind you that your loaned Kindle book will expire in 3 days.

You can purchase Frankly My Dear, I'm Dead and continue reading at your leisure."

LOL - yes, indeed, they're hoping folks won't finish in two weeks and will end up buying the book!  One thing I did learn, though - the book is lent to your account, so you can put it on more than one device.  In fact I put it on my Kindle & my iPhone AND my daughter's Kindle (she wasn't interested in reading it, I just did it as a test to see if it would work). 
    em

Offline LauraB

• midwest, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #98 on: January 14, 2011, 04:14:30 am »
    !  One thing I did learn, though - the book is lent to your account, so you can put it on more than one device.  In fact I put it on my Kindle & my iPhone AND my daughter's Kindle (she wasn't interested in reading it, I just did it as a test to see if it would work). 

Aren't you using several of the purchasers licenses by doing that? Or Maybe if you remove them from all it won't.  I Wonder if Amazon can and or  will remove the loaned book from all the devices you put them on. Please let us know.
    Books read in 2010: 43 2011: 42 + the Bible 2012: 60; books read 2013:56*

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
    • KB Member #43
      • View Profile
    « Reply #99 on: January 14, 2011, 08:32:29 am »
    Aren't you using several of the purchasers licenses by doing that? Or Maybe if you remove them from all it won't.  I Wonder if Amazon can and or  will remove the loaned book from all the devices you put them on. Please let us know.

I hadn't thought about the licensing issue, but you're only using the license as long as the book is on the Kindle, and the purchaser can't read the book while the book is on loan anyway.  Once the book is off the Kindle or iPhone or whatever, that license is freed up. 

Even if the book doesn't self-destruct as long as I leave it open, I suspect that once I do leave the book and try to go back to it (after the 2 weeks are up) I'll get a message saying that my 14 days are up and I can't access the book any longer.  That's what happens with library books on my nook - I can read them past their "due date" as long as I don't exit the book to do something else.  But I've never borrowed a book from another nook owner, so I don't know how the borrowed books work past their 2 week loan period (I asked the question on the nook board but never got an answer). 

Will definitely post when I see what happens. 
    em

KBoards.com

• Advertisement