Author Topic: How to use the Lend and Borrow exchange (Hint: sort by Subject!)  (Read 17743 times)  

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
  • Bellingham WA
  • Love all, moderate all.
    • View Profile
    • KBoards
How to use the Lend and Borrow exchange (Hint: sort by Subject!)
« on: December 31, 2010, 01:15:44 pm »
"Neither a borrow nor a lender be," advised Shakespeare's Polonius. Well, Polonius clearly did not have a Kindle, which makes lending and borrowing e-books an easy and most well-advised activity.

We've set up this board to give our forum members a place to lend and borrow Kindle e-books. (You can read more about Amazon's Lending feature here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_rel_topic?ie=UTF8&tag=kbpst-20&nodeId=200549320)

A tip for browsing the exchange

When viewing this board, you may want to click on the "Subject" header to sort the board by that column. That can help you find desired books that are available for loan, by listing the book titles in alphabetical order.

Posting books to lend or borrow

Members can post "Available to lend" and "Would like to borrow" messages. Before asking to borrow a book, please check on the Amazon product page to see if the book is loan-enabled.

When making a new post, please use the following format for your subject text:

Available to lend: Xxx by Yyy

Would like to borrow: Xxx by Yyy

... where Xxx is the desired title and Yyy is the author. Note: no quotes around the title, please. No comma after the title. And no double-spaces. This all helps people find your book when they sort the board by subject.

After the loaning

Once the book as been loaned, please update the subject line, as follows:

_LOANED_ Available to lend: Xxx by Yyy

_LOANED_ Would like to borrow: Xxx by Yyy

(Note the underlines, which cause the post to sort to the bottom when the board is sorted by Subject.)

We recommend one thread per book, to make it easier to scan the new board for book titles. However, you can also post one thread per genre or other groupings, and keep track within that thread which books are still available to lend or still wanted for borrowing.  

Other notes

- We're not responsible for problems between borrowers and Lenders.
 - Our PM system should be utilized for sharing e-mail addresses. For confidentiality, don't post email addresses in this thread.
 - Refrain from subsequent self-promotion or any mis-use after acquiring a borrower's e-mail address.
 - Remove books from your posts when they are no longer available to be loaned.
 - If you've posted about a book you want to borrow, update your post once you've been lent that book
 - Reminder that lending is only available between US resident members at this time.

Happy lending and borrowing!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 03:20:30 pm by Harvey »
Flint and Flame: 15%

Authors: set up your own work-in-progress bar with our Author Sig tool.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline jhanel

• Tulsa, OK
      • View Profile
      • Jerry Hanel
    This is AWESOME!
    « Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 01:31:49 pm »
    Thanks to the moderators for opening this topic. I think that this is a great way to discover new artists and authors for free. It's also a great way for independent authors such as myself to get our names out to readers around the world.

If anyone wants to borrow a copy of my work, I'd be glad to lend it. I would hope that people enjoy my work.

Thanks again to the moderators, and I wish that everyone can find the books that they want and new authors that will wake them up and take them to places that they would otherwise never experience.

Jerry Hanel | Website | Twitter | Facebook

Offline telracs

• NYC
    • peace, love, justice.... and chocolate.
      • View Profile
    Re: How to use the Lend and Borrow exchange
    « Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 02:52:07 pm »
    To make things easier, may I suggest that before you ask to borrow a book you check on the amazon product page if it is loan enabled?  This will make it easier for people who wish to lend stuff and keep you from being frustrated that no one is offering to loan it to you.

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
    • Nothin' but a hound dog.
      • View Profile
      • Carmen-Ashland Building
    « Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 03:20:45 pm »
    ... and be realistic. Don't borrow 15 books today and expect to be able to read them all in the next 14 days.
       my e-readers: Kindle 2 Kindle 3 nook iPad Sony-950

Offline MichelleR

• MN
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 04:05:47 pm »
    I did a thread of all the books I have. Would you prefer I convert that into separate threads? If not, from now on would you prefer I start a thread for new books? Ideally I was hoping to maintain one thread and just modify the title to reflect new additions, but I'll do separate threads instead and allow the one to die if that works better.
    Michelle
    Well we all shine on
    Like the moon and the stars and the sun

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
    • Bellingham WA
      • View Profile
      • KBoards
    « Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 05:07:12 pm »
    I did a thread of all the books I have. Would you prefer I convert that into separate threads? If not, from now on would you prefer I start a thread for new books? Ideally I was hoping to maintain one thread and just modify the title to reflect new additions, but I'll do separate threads instead and allow the one to die if that works better.

No need to go through that work, Michelle - thank you though. I think for new additions it will make things a bit easier to have each book in a separate thread. Perhaps if a group of books is related, like a series, they can be in the same thread... but we're trying to figure out a good system where it's easy to tell right from the index of threads which books are available vs which ones have been loaned already.

This will take a bit of figuring out and we'll probably adjust as we all get experience with what works best to make the lending exchange work smoothest!

Offline MLPMom

• View Profile
      • My Guilty Obsession Book Reviews
    « Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 05:28:17 pm »
    Yes, it has to have the Lending: Enabled in order to let someone "borrow" it.

If it isn't loanable then the Lending profile won't even be there.
    The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.-Jane Austen
    I also have a book blog where I review a new Indie Author every week. http://myguiltyobsession.blogspot.com/

Offline MichelleR

• MN
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 05:31:24 pm »
    If it doesn't say it on the purchase page (in the product description) or if you own a copy and, through the manage your Kindle and using the + symbol, have checked and there's no "loan" button, then it's safe to say it isn't enabled on that title.
    Michelle
    Well we all shine on
    Like the moon and the stars and the sun

Offline Labrynth

• Georgia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 06:15:28 pm »
    Good idea and something I wouldn't have considered.  LOL Apparently nothing in my wish list is available.  Oh well.
    « Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 06:27:12 pm by Labrynth »

Offline DYB

• NYC
    • Now Reading: "'Salem's Lot"
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 06:26:36 pm »
    At this point a fairly small number of books are available for loan.  I think some publishers haven't signed on yet.  So it definitely needs to be researched.

Offline BTackitt

• Texas, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 08:23:06 am »
    Harvey? Honestly it already looks unweildy and cumbersome.
    Maybe something a little more concise? I have over 1000 books, I am not going to go through and spam 1000 individual posts, how about a single post per genre someone has, like "BTackitt's Historical fiction list" & "BTackitt's Horror list" Then in each post as they get lent, a title can just be deleted, and as a whole genre disappears (because they can only be lent once) The new title of the thread would be "BTackitt's Romantic Comedy list _all GONE" and if I got another book in that genre, I could re-edit the title back to normal, like "BTackitt's Suspense list"
    "If man has no tea in him, he is incapable of understanding truth and beauty." ~Japanese Proverb
    Screensaver Images: http://s684.photobucket.com/home/B_Tackitt/index

Offline DYB

• NYC
    • Now Reading: "'Salem's Lot"
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: January 01, 2011, 08:26:52 am »
    Maybe something a little more concise? I have over 1000 books, I am not going to go through and spam 1000 individual posts, how about a single post per genre someone has, like "BTackitt's Historical fiction list" & "BTackitt's Horror list" Then in each post as they get lent, a title can just be deleted, and as a whole genre disappears (because they can only be lent once) The new title of the thread would be "BTackitt's Romantic Comedy list _all GONE" and if I got another book in that genre, I could re-edit the title back to normal, like "BTackitt's Suspense list"

The thing is that all 1000 books will not be available to be lent.  Only a fairly small percentage will be.

But it appears as if users can't delete threads?  I just tried to delete mine of books that have been loaned.  (They are marked as Loaned in the title.)  Maybe moderators can delete those.
    « Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 08:29:21 am by DYB »

Offline LauraB

• midwest, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: January 01, 2011, 08:54:48 am »

It does seem like a lot of threads. I like the idea books by genre. Just my 2 cents.
    Books read in 2010: 43 2011: 42 + the Bible 2012: 60; books read 2013:56*

Offline Maria Romana

• NC, USA
    • ...should be working on WIP...
      • View Profile
      • Research Triangle Publications
    « Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 09:44:17 am »
    At this point a fairly small number of books are available for loan.  I think some publishers haven't signed on yet.  So it definitely needs to be researched.

Based on the message we got from DTP, I'd say that loaning is the default unless the publisher specifically opted out, so if it's not available to be loaned now, the publisher has probably said "No!".  I'm guessing a lot of the big publishers are against the whole idea, but you will probably find small and indie-pubbed books will have the feature.

--Maria

Offline BTackitt

• Texas, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: January 01, 2011, 09:54:04 am »
    The thing is that all 1000 books will not be available to be lent.  Only a fairly small percentage will be.

Actually, I can bet at least a quarter of mine would be available, I'm heavy into the indies, and unless they opt out, they are automatically in.
    "If man has no tea in him, he is incapable of understanding truth and beauty." ~Japanese Proverb
    Screensaver Images: http://s684.photobucket.com/home/B_Tackitt/index

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
    • Bellingham WA
      • View Profile
      • KBoards
    « Reply #15 on: January 01, 2011, 10:54:27 am »

Sure, go ahead and try it that way. Not a problem - we're open to what works best for our community in this exchange.

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
    • Bellingham WA
      • View Profile
      • KBoards
    « Reply #16 on: January 01, 2011, 10:56:05 am »
    The thing is that all 1000 books will not be available to be lent.  Only a fairly small percentage will be.

But it appears as if users can't delete threads?  I just tried to delete mine of books that have been loaned.  (They are marked as Loaned in the title.)  Maybe moderators can delete those.

Don't delete them, just mark them as Loaned in the title. In the future we may set up an archive sub-board, but my guess is that the posts for loans that have been accepted will sink to the bottom of the board anyway.

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #17 on: January 01, 2011, 11:03:14 am »
    A tip for folks--

If you click on the "Subject" Header, the threads will sort by subject, making it a little easier to scroll through to see what's available, if everyone is consistent in their format.

However, Harvey, the (LOANED) books come up first--maybe we should have an archive, or people could use X-LOANED  instead, which would sort them to the bottem.

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
    • Bellingham WA
      • View Profile
      • KBoards
    « Reply #18 on: January 01, 2011, 11:40:59 am »
    That's a good tip, Betsy.

Yes, I think we should change our convention to use something that makes the completed loans sort to the bottom.

I would suggest _LOANED_ which moves the thread to the bottom.

Offline Tabby

• Louisiana
      • View Profile
    Re: How to use the Lend and Borrow exchange (Hint: sort by Subject!)
    « Reply #19 on: January 01, 2011, 02:02:38 pm »
    I don't know about everyone else, but I won't bother listing free books. I also won't request a book until I've read a sample to see if it is something I really want to read.
    « Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 02:05:40 pm by Tabby »

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
    • Bellingham WA
      • View Profile
      • KBoards
    « Reply #20 on: January 07, 2011, 01:55:57 pm »
    Well, KindleBoarders, the Lend and Borrow exchange has been up for about a week now. There have been a little over 90 lend/borrow threads created, and a few dozen loans made as a result.

I'd like to get some feedback from these first few days of experience with it.

How's it working for you?

How can we make it better?

Offline PG4003 (Patricia)

• Kentucky
    • A book is like a garden.....carried in the pocket.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: January 10, 2011, 05:41:49 am »
    Harvey, looks like nobody is answering your question, so I will.  I look at the Lend and Borrow thread every day.  So far I've loaned 2 books, and borrowed 4, so I have to say I really like it.
    Visit my Etsy store!  Kindle Bags, Sleeves, and Purses custom made to your order
    http://www.pg4003.etsy.com

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
    • Bellingham WA
      • View Profile
      • KBoards
    « Reply #22 on: January 10, 2011, 12:21:43 pm »
    Thanks, Patricia!

Offline ReneAZ

• Phoenix, Arizona
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: January 13, 2011, 07:27:40 am »
    It does seem like a lot of threads. I like the idea books by genre. Just my 2 cents.

I agree.  I would love to see it by genre.  I personally prefer mysteries and it would help a lot to see all the mysteries/mystery writers together (maybe alphabetically by author (a-e, f-j.. etc).   It would make it a lot easier and save a lot of time.

Thanks,
    Rene

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Card-carrying melodrama villain
      • View Profile
      • All about me....<hee hee>
    « Reply #24 on: January 13, 2011, 08:19:11 am »
    I vote for the current system of listing by title. Some books are genre-benders that straddle more than one genre. Organizing by subject works pretty well for scanning.

After awhile when the number of threads has grown unwieldy it m may be useful to move threads older than a certain age into a separate folder where they would not clog up more recent entries but would still be available to people who wanted to scan the older listings for books still available.
    "Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Steph H

• North Texas
      • K1, K2, KDX, K3, KFire, K4, KPW1, KFireHD, KV, KO
        • View Profile
      « Reply #25 on: January 13, 2011, 09:36:06 am »
      I agree with Claw, having things separated too much will make it more difficult to review.

Maybe go ahead and start moving the LOANED threads off into a sub-forum, like is done in the Buy/Sell Forum? That would unclog things a little.

As for use, I'm not really in the market to borrow right now -- I have hundreds of unread books already :D -- but I still scan the listings in case I see something I really really want to read.  And I've loaned several, just because I don't see a need to borrow doesn't mean I'm not willing to loan. :)  It's really simple to do!
      « Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 09:39:29 am by Steph H »
      Currently active Kindles:                                                  Swag Bucks - Earn Amazon GCs for free!
      KFireHD - Draco                                                              I'm in the fight! - Support Liver Disease Awareness
      KV - TARDIS
      KO - Merlin

Offline Luvmy5brats

• Enabler Extraordinaire
      • Eastern Shore, MD
        • View Profile
      « Reply #26 on: January 13, 2011, 09:44:29 am »
      I've borrowed one, lent two.. It works for me.

Offline jaimee83

• Central Illinois
        • View Profile
      « Reply #27 on: June 05, 2013, 04:12:12 pm »
      I have a homebound/disabled friend who owns a Kindle.  I also have @400 books on my Kindle.  Is it possible for her to read from my booklist on her Kindle?  I could have her re assign her Kindle to my account but I'd rather do it properly.  If it was a paperback book (which would have been much much cheaper) it would have been passed around through a number of hands.  I had my one use, can I pass it on one more time through the Kindle system?

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Card-carrying melodrama villain
        • View Profile
        • All about me....<hee hee>
      « Reply #28 on: June 05, 2013, 06:28:00 pm »
      I have a homebound/disabled friend who owns a Kindle.  I also have @400 books on my Kindle.  Is it possible for her to read from my booklist on her Kindle?  I could have her re assign her Kindle to my account but I'd rather do it properly.  If it was a paperback book (which would have been much much cheaper) it would have been passed around through a number of hands.  I had my one use, can I pass it on one more time through the Kindle system?

For your books that have lending enabled, you can lend them to another Kindle account one time for two weeks. The link below has more info...
      http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200549320
      "Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Muyassar Sattarova

• Uzbekistan
      • Dreams come true!
        • View Profile
        • http://www.kdp.com/muyassarsattarova
      « Reply #29 on: January 11, 2018, 10:16:59 am »
      Now I see that I will have to learn something new (or more) here)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement