Author Topic: iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Kindle app update  (Read 2515 times)  

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Terra firma
    • View Profile
iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Kindle app update
« on: January 10, 2011, 02:00:55 pm »
New version of Kindle app for the iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch  today. I'm downloading it now.

Mike

« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 02:02:50 pm by jmiked »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline JennaAnderson

• Near Minneapolis, MN
      • View Profile
      • Jenna Scribbles
    Re: iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Kindle app update
    « Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 02:11:55 pm »
    New version of Kindle app for the iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch  today. I'm downloading it now.

Mike

I'll have to open my app store app (really?) on my phone and see what I get. I like to use my phone to decide what to read next. I know it sounds silly. Browsing the list of titles on my Kindle is fine, but I can see the covers in their full glory on the Kindle app. It's also faster to pop over to Amazon and reread the descriptions.

Reading will always happen on my actual Kindle - unless I forget my Kindle and am stuck at the doctors office or something. I once read 20% of a book waiting for a doctor to get around to me. And I read slow!

Off to check out the new updates. Thanks for the heads up.

Jenna

About Me - With Pictures - http://www.jennascribbles.com/about-me/

Offline Luvmy5brats

• Enabler Extraordinaire
    • Eastern Shore, MD
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 02:30:15 pm »
    If you have Non DRM mobi files you can now open them in the Kindle for iPhone/iPad app. I keep a bunch in DropBox so I'm happy I can use them on my iPad now.

Offline VictoriaP

• Rainy, dreary, gray Puget Sound
    • ^ ...wish I was back here...
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 02:44:29 pm »
    If you have Non DRM mobi files you can now open them in the Kindle for iPhone/iPad app. I keep a bunch in DropBox so I'm happy I can use them on my iPad now.

Ooooh....that might finally be the reason I can lose my iPad jailbreak and upgrade to 4.2.  That's one of only three reasons I had left for leaving it; of the other two, one I can work around and the other by itself probably isn't a big deal.  Hmmm....
    "If you will practice being fictional for a while, you will understand that fictional characters are sometimes more real than people with bodies and heartbeats." -- Richard Bach, "Illusions"

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 02:40:49 am »

At last. ;D   I've been reading mine using Pages but it's just not as good.
    Linda

Offline RandomizeME

• View Profile
      • RandomizeME
    « Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 03:05:45 am »
    Yeah, it's a great update that a lot of people have been waiting for, native support for mobi/prc files by the Kindle app plus sideloading (without the need for jailbreaking).

*Someone on the MobileRead forum also figured out how to enable syncing of the non Amazon ebooks side loaded to the Kindle app (with all the other Kindle platforms) so the last location read is saved. Makes it a double celebration for me!
    Check out my blog http://randomizeme.net/ for reviews, freebies and bargains!

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Offline webhill

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 09:34:33 am »
    Yeah, it's a great update that a lot of people have been waiting for, native support for mobi/prc files by the Kindle app plus sideloading (without the need for jailbreaking).

*Someone on the MobileRead forum also figured out how to enable syncing of the non Amazon ebooks side loaded to the Kindle app (with all the other Kindle platforms) so the last location read is saved. Makes it a double celebration for me!

"sideloading?"

Offline RandomizeME

• View Profile
      • RandomizeME
    « Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 03:58:06 pm »
    "sideloading?"

Yes, you can now add mobi/prc ebooks that are not from Amazon into the Kindle app
    Check out my blog http://randomizeme.net/ for reviews, freebies and bargains!

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Offline webhill

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 10:43:24 am »
    Yes, you can now add mobi/prc ebooks that are not from Amazon into the Kindle app

Yes, I know you can do that. I'm asking about the word "sideloading." I have never heard that word before. Are you saying that to "sideload" is to "load books that are not from amazon?" I did not know that had its own word. I always just said "loading" or "putting" the files onto the kindle, not "sideloading." Is it still called "sideloading" if it is an amazon book, but you are putting it onto the kindle via USB? I'm just curious about the word.

Thanks,
    h.

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
    • Nothin' but a hound dog.
      • View Profile
      • Carmen-Ashland Building
    « Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 11:01:27 am »
    Yes, sideloading is when you put a book on the Kindle via USB. You'll find this phrase used a lot with other ebook readers, since content purchased from other websites - such as nook content that is not from B&N - must be sideloaded onto the ereader.
       my e-readers: Kindle 2 Kindle 3 nook iPad Sony-950

Offline kwajkat

• The Good Washington
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 01:56:19 am »
    I haven't heard of the term "sideloading" either. Maybe because I am just too busy downloading stuff!!!! :):)

Offline jabrennan

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 04:15:58 am »

Mike

Did this come as an update on iTunes or must it be re-downloaded from amazon? thanks in advance

Offline arshield

• Marietta, GA
      • View Profile
      • Bookwi.se
    « Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 06:15:48 am »
    I'll have to open my app store app (really?) on my phone and see what I get. I like to use my phone to decide what to read next. I know it sounds silly. Browsing the list of titles on my Kindle is fine, but I can see the covers in their full glory on the Kindle app. It's also faster to pop over to Amazon and reread the descriptions.

Reading will always happen on my actual Kindle - unless I forget my Kindle and am stuck at the doctors office or something. I once read 20% of a book waiting for a doctor to get around to me. And I read slow!

Off to check out the new updates. Thanks for the heads up.

Jenna

I agree that it is nice to browse books with covers.  The main weakness on the kindle now is dealing with large libraries.

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Terra firma
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 09:40:31 pm »
    Did this come as an update on iTunes or must it be re-downloaded from amazon? thanks in advance

All the update for these iDevices must come from iTunes. I noted there was another update today.

Mike

Offline Someone Nameless

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 11:02:12 am »
    OK, dumb question but let's say I have a mobi file on my computer.  What do I do to move it to my iTouch and open it with Kindle.  Do I move it through iTunes somehow?

I know with my Android phone I can just copy the file and paste it in the Kindle folder.  I'm not quite sure how to do it on the iTouch.  Thank you!

edited to add:  Nevermind.  I figured it out.  I was having a problem because I didn't realize that the Kindle app had not updated on my iTouch yet.
    « Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 12:52:56 pm by Kindle Gracie »
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~ Groucho Marx

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #15 on: January 26, 2011, 12:01:30 pm »
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline VictoriaP

• Rainy, dreary, gray Puget Sound
    • ^ ...wish I was back here...
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: January 26, 2011, 01:38:04 pm »
    Read this today in another Kindle forum:
    http://www.teleread.com/iphone/apple-enforcement-of-in-app-purchase-clause-may-imperil-e-book-apps/

Betsy

Well, that'd make it a heck of a lot easier for me to by a K3.  Right now, I can't justify it because my K2 still works and I end up doing 75% of my reading through my iPad and iPhone anyway.  But if I can't buy books on those, then I'd pick up a K3--more portable than the K2.  And I'd have even less reason to upgrade either my phone or my iPad this year.

All around, sounds like a bad idea for Apple, but hey, whatever.  They're rarely sensible about their policies on the iThings.
    "If you will practice being fictional for a while, you will understand that fictional characters are sometimes more real than people with bodies and heartbeats." -- Richard Bach, "Illusions"

Offline mom2karen

• View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 10:25:11 am »
    I think you would still be able to side load the books using the USB, but that is more work.

Offline meljackson

• View Profile

KBoards.com

• Advertisement