Author Topic: Kindle on the iPhone by Leslie  (Read 19243 times)  

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
  • Global Moderator
  • Maine, USA
  • Kindle Paperwhite for Dummies available now!
    • View Profile
    • Maine Desk
Kindle on the iPhone by Leslie
« on: March 05, 2009, 04:04:37 am »
Okay, I was very skeptical about the iPhone/Kindle app and decided I wouldn't bother with putting it on my iPhone. However, my husband has an iPhone -- but no Kindle and no interest in one -- and he was interested in the app as a way to access some of the many books I have purchased on my Kindle. So we just downloaded it.

First, the download was fast and easy. He has the 3G iPhone so everything seems faster on his than on my old 4GB original model. Once it was downloaded and installed, I typed in my Amazon login and PW and voila! There we were -- 125 archived items. I picked two books for him and they also seemed to download instantly. We put the phone with airplane mode "off" and checked the book -- it seems that the whole file is there. You are not accessing it "on the fly" as you read.

The navigation through the books feels familiar. You can go to the table of contents, cover, or select a specific location. All the navigation is Apple intuitive so if you are used to the iPhone/iTouch, you'll be moving around instantly.

The screen looks -- great. This is what I was expecting not to like and I was amazingly surprised. The font is a good size and easily readable. Swipe, swipe to easily move through the pages. But...get ready....there's color. Okay, we've all gotten used to living in a black & white world with our Kindles and that's fine. However, I had one book, Stolen Innocence, which I knew had a photographic insert. I downloaded it to the iPhone and there it was with photos--in color. It was really something to see. First I saw them in 4-scale grey, then 16-scale (much better) and now color! Wow!

I know I don't want read a whole book on the iPhone but having this option to look at pictures (and maps, charts, or whatever) is really very cool. And knowing my husband, he will be using this for reading.

I was a skeptic this morning but I have to say, I am impressed, 12 hours later.

L
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 04:06:29 am by Leslie »

Leslie Nicoll

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline artsandhistoryfan

• Berkeley, CA
      • View Profile
      • A Kindle World
    Re: Kindle on the iPhone by Leslie
    « Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 09:03:47 am »
    I'm impressed too.  By your review!

And by the technology.  If the iPhone weren't on AT&T, I might have switched, but I use my Samsung for video more often than one would think. 

Offline Cowgirl

• Member #291
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 09:12:32 am »
    I'm impressed too.  By your review!

And by the technology.  If the iPhone weren't on AT&T, I might have switched, but I use my Samsung for video more often than one would think. 
    If I could get the iphone through  Verizon I'd be first in line to buy it...I'd use too many minutes with AT&T because everybody I know has Verizon

Offline luvmy4brats

• Enabler Extraordinaire
    • Eastern Shore, MD
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 09:17:18 am »
    Thanks Leslie! I haven't really gotten to play with it very much, but I did download the app to my itouch yesterday. I've got some kinks to work out with Amazon due to haveing used up all my licenses on some books, so I can't read them on another device yet, but they're working it out for me.

I look forward to trying it out.

• Berkeley, CA
      • View Profile
      • A Kindle World
    « Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 09:28:17 am »
    If I could get the iphone through  Verizon I'd be first in line to buy it...I'd use too many minutes with AT&T because everybody I know has Verizon

Also, Verizon (in San Francisco area) is very strong and works in places others like AT&T won't.

Offline Vegas_Asian

• Sin City
    • I know KungFu and 50 other dangerous words!!!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 07:19:50 pm »
    Thanks for the review Les. I'm still pondering a potential iphone purchase. My phone is on its last leg..lasted a good two years. This review of the kindle app will be a great addition the waying of the purchase.

• Berkeley, CA
      • View Profile
      • A Kindle World
    « Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 07:27:17 pm »
    Thanks for the review Les. I'm still pondering a potential iphone purchase. My phone is on its last leg..lasted a good two years. This review of the kindle app will be a great addition the waying of the purchase.

I'm past 2 years of my 2nd Verizon contract and have gotten their usual update ads.

I actually want a Blackberry but they support only the Storm, which many say is sort of wretched.

So I'm waiting for something better, but I wonder if Bezos is planning this app for the Blackberry phones as well.  There was talk they'd make them available on several of these if they could make a good deal for their partners and themselves.

Offline Vegas_Asian

• Sin City
    • I know KungFu and 50 other dangerous words!!!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 08:04:38 pm »
    One thing I like about the blackberry...I think (keyword:think) it supports windows programs. I want to sync my laptop and phone improve my time management skillz. (I'm going to be so good at it.) I would be nice if Bezo made a kindle app for the other smart phones and pda's..then i can share an account with my aunt and uncle who are starting the read my DTBs (the more recent books I have of those series I have on my K)
    « Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 12:32:49 pm by Vegas_Asian (Experiment#305) »

Offline luvmy4brats

• Enabler Extraordinaire
    • Eastern Shore, MD
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 08:12:11 pm »
    My phone is about to die and I ran across a refurbished 16GB iphone today for less than $200 and a 8GB for less than $100.

I'm seriously, seriously considering it. I already have AT&T and have no intention of moving to anybody else. I've actually been with them for at least a dozen years (originally Cingular). I have a data plan on my phone already and use my ipod touch whenever I can. I love my ipod and can only imagine how much I'll enjoy having an iphone...decisions, decisions...

Thanks for the review Leslie!

Offline farmwife99

• Missouri
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 03:43:42 am »

The font is a good size and easily readable.
    L

Great review Lesley.
    Just wanted to add for those who haven't downloaded the app yet that you can adjust the font size. You have a choice of 5 fonts sizes.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 05:13:52 am »
    We have Verizon and I have a windows mobile device which I quite like.  If I need to I can activate a data plan and use it as a web browser, though right now I don't use it as anything more than a phone/contact list.  I do like that it sync's directly with Outlook.  I'd love to have a Kindle app for it, though I do almost always have my Kindle right next to me.  Hmmm.  Think I'll ask CS if it's a possibility for the future. . . I'll report back if they have anything useful to say.

Ann
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline mwvickers

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 11:52:58 am »
    What?  No pictures?

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
    • Global Moderator
    • Maine, USA
      • View Profile
      • Maine Desk
    « Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 01:34:07 pm »
    What?  No pictures?

Unfortunately, my camera is in my iPhone! Sorry!

But, if you go to the Kindleboards blog, Harvey has posted some pictures there:

https://www.kboards.com/blog/2009/03/amazon-releases-kindle-iphone-app/

L

Leslie Nicoll

Offline Chad Winters

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 02:20:10 pm »
    Unfortunately, my camera is in my iPhone! Sorry!

But, if you go to the Kindleboards blog, Harvey has posted some pictures there:

https://www.kboards.com/blog/2009/03/amazon-releases-kindle-iphone-app/

L
    I think there is a way to do screenshots....but I don't know how  :)

Member since 10/28/2008 | (make your own reading bar)

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
    • Bellingham WA
    • Love all, moderate all.
      • View Profile
      • KBoards
    « Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 04:13:03 pm »
    Nice review, Leslie. I agree, it's cool and useful for a lot of things, even though I wouldn't choose to read an entire book on that iPhone screen. But I can see doing so for a chapter or two!

I think there is a way to do screenshots....but I don't know how  Smiley

Here's how to take a screenshot of an iPhone:

1. Navigate the iPhone to the screen you want to capture
       2. Hold the Home button, and press and release the on/off button on the top of your iPhone. Your screen will flash, letting you know that the screenshot was taken.
       3. Navigate to your Camera Roll library (Photos) to find the screenshot image.
    Flint and Flame: 15%

Authors: set up your own work-in-progress bar with our Author Sig tool.

Offline Buttercup

• Monterey Bay, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 05:01:43 pm »
    Wow, thanks for the tip on screenshots Harvey, I had no idea it was possible.
    Bassets are like potato chips, you can't have just one!
    www.ggbassetrescue.org

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
    • Global Moderator
    • Maine, USA
      • View Profile
      • Maine Desk
    « Reply #16 on: March 07, 2009, 06:33:59 am »
    Nice review, Leslie. I agree, it's cool and useful for a lot of things, even though I wouldn't choose to read an entire book on that iPhone screen. But I can see doing so for a chapter or two!

Here's how to take a screenshot of an iPhone:

1. Navigate the iPhone to the screen you want to capture
       2. Hold the Home button, and press and release the on/off button on the top of your iPhone. Your screen will flash, letting you know that the screenshot was taken.
       3. Navigate to your Camera Roll library (Photos) to find the screenshot image.

Thanks for this tip, Harvey! This is great. Wait 'til I show my husband....this will be the first time I've learned something on the iPhone before he has.  ;D

L

Leslie Nicoll

Offline tylerdurden51

• View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 02:25:39 pm »
    i could never read from something so small  ::)
    Knowledge is power!

Offline Dris

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 02:56:01 pm »
    I love the concept of having my Kindle books on my I-phone.  My husband just bought me an I-phone so I have been busy trying to set it up.  I cannot figure out how to get my Kindle books to my I-phone.  Could you please give me a detailed explanation as I am not very tech-sauvy. 

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
    • Global Moderator
    • Maine, USA
      • View Profile
      • Maine Desk
    « Reply #19 on: April 24, 2009, 07:03:36 am »
    I love the concept of having my Kindle books on my I-phone.  My husband just bought me an I-phone so I have been busy trying to set it up.  I cannot figure out how to get my Kindle books to my I-phone.  Could you please give me a detailed explanation as I am not very tech-sauvy. 

Hi Dris, welcome!

First, download the iPhone Kindle app to your phone. Once that is done, go to the home screen. You'll see a choice for "archived items." Select that. The first time you use it, you probably will have to enter your amazon login and password, but only the one time. From there, the phone will show a list of all the books you have in your Amazon digital library. You can sort by title or author. Pick the book you want to read, wait for it to download and voila! You should be good to go.

Enjoy!

L

Leslie Nicoll

Offline Dris

• View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: April 25, 2009, 05:14:30 pm »
    Thank you Leslie, you were a big help.  I now have my Kindle books on my I-phone and absolutely love it.  I wouldn't want to read constantly in the I-phone it is great when waiting around somewhere.  At this point I don't feel I could ask for me.  Love my Kindle and I-phone.  Both are new for me and I'm having a wonderful time...and I love the Kindle boards.  Have a great day or evening everyone.

Offline Dris

• View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: April 25, 2009, 05:17:14 pm »
    Sorry about all my misspelled words.  Think I was typing too fast in my excitement.   Dris

Offline vlapinta

• View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: April 26, 2009, 07:46:11 am »
    I just bought an iphone a few weeks ago. I have a K2 so I loaded the Kindle application on my iphone. I love being able to have my books on hand to read if I forget my Kindle, or if I am somewhere that I don't want to whip out the kindle and start reading. The iphone, being smaller, is more inconspicuous. I have outlook on my laptop and have no problem syncing my calender into my iphone. I also have Verizon Fios for my internet server, and have my email rerouted  to my iphone. I am really enjoying my iphone!

Vicki

Offline cheerio

• View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: May 26, 2009, 04:17:47 pm »
    The iphone is going to take over the world or at least the technology
    "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt

"A successful person is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him or her." David Brinkle

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: May 26, 2009, 05:23:11 pm »
      Also, Verizon ... is very strong and works in places others like AT&T won't.

I so agree.
    Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement