Author Topic: Kindle on the iPhone by Leslie  (Read 19239 times)  

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle on the iPhone by Leslie
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2009, 05:26:26 pm »
We have Verizon and I have a windows mobile device which I quite like.  If I need to I can activate a data plan and use it as a web browser, though right now I don't use it as anything more than a phone/contact list.  I do like that it sync's directly with Outlook.  I'd love to have a Kindle app for it, though I do almost always have my Kindle right next to me.  Hmmm.  Think I'll ask CS if it's a possibility for the future. . . I'll report back if they have anything useful to say.
Ann

For books available through Mobi or public domain, I use Mobipocket Reader on my smartphone; Verizon; Motorola Q9c
Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline artsandhistoryfan

• Berkeley, CA
      • View Profile
      • A Kindle World
    « Reply #26 on: May 27, 2009, 12:03:41 am »
    I so agree.
      Re the iPhone and Verizon, rumors are that Verizon and Apple are cooking up some kind of announcement for June, so who knows?

For awhile some Apple fans hoped it would be a media-tablet with net access, but if they go ahead with one it won't be ready until 1st half of next year, it's said.   

So people will be waiting to see what it IS that they'll announce soon.

Offline koolmnbv

• View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: May 27, 2009, 12:18:08 am »
    Thanks for the great review!

• Berkeley, CA
      • View Profile
      • A Kindle World
    « Reply #28 on: May 27, 2009, 08:45:16 am »

I know I don't want read a whole book on the iPhone but having this option to look at pictures (and maps, charts, or whatever) is really very cool. And knowing my husband, he will be using this for reading.

I was a skeptic this morning but I have to say, I am impressed, 12 hours later.

L

I think I see this in your iPhone future next, Leslie.

http://th.ingsmadeoutofotherthin.gs/eucalyptus/

It was year's labor for the maker, and it's going for $9.95 and I expect he'll have a lot of money soon.

I see it's very limited in what books it will take in, almost nothing.  But what a beauty.  Here's a story on it.
       http://www.macworld.com/article/140796/2009/05/eucalyptus.html

On the other hand, here's People Magazine.  Now I think this would strain my eyes on the small screen.
       http://iphonehelp.in/2009/05/27/people-magazine-gets-an-app-costs-199/

$1.99
       If you get it, maybe you could tell us what you think of it?
    « Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 09:06:16 am by artsandhistoryfan »

Offline cheeki

• View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: May 27, 2009, 09:47:52 am »
    <<Thanks for the review Les. I'm still pondering a potential iphone purchase. My phone is on its last leg..lasted a good two years. This review of the kindle app will be a great addition the waying of the purchase.>>

1st- I have an iphone and I love the kindle app.  truly awesome and easy and convenient.

2nd- i added my daughters iphone (she doesn't have a kindle) so she has access to all  my       books.  She doesn't read that much... so this is fine for her. (although she went to Venice, Italy this week and borrowed my Kindle for the trip (I'm reading a DTB instead... I really love my DD to lend her my Kindle).

3rd IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING AN IPHONE WAIT TIL THIS SUMMER(JUNE OR JULY).  tHE NEW AND IMPR0VED VERSION COMES OUT.... THEY SAY IT IS AMAZING.

Offline Cowgirl

• Member #291
      • View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: May 27, 2009, 10:22:52 am »
    Yep...I'm waiting for the verizon...my contract is up in August.  Can't wait to get rid of my Motorola razor...worst phone I ever had!!!!!!

Offline Rasputina

• View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: May 27, 2009, 12:21:27 pm »
    Love Love Love the kindle app on my iphone. I use the stanza app for all my other books and documents not purchased from Amazon. With the new update we had it's even better. I read on it pretty much exclusively these days. Can't beat actual color, fast loading and choice of font and background colors and the touchscreen.

• Berkeley, CA
      • View Profile
      • A Kindle World
    « Reply #32 on: May 27, 2009, 08:16:13 pm »
    . . .
    2nd- i added my daughters iphone (she doesn't have a kindle) so she has access to all  my       books.  She doesn't read that much... so this is fine for her. (although she went to Venice, Italy this week and borrowed my Kindle for the trip (I'm reading a DTB instead... I really love my DD to lend her my Kindle).
     . . .

I would say that definitely is a huge example of a mother's love  :-)

• Berkeley, CA
      • View Profile
      • A Kindle World
    « Reply #33 on: May 27, 2009, 08:17:08 pm »
    Love Love Love the kindle app on my iphone. I use the stanza app for all my other books and documents not purchased from Amazon. With the new update we had it's even better. I read on it pretty much exclusively these days. Can't beat actual color, fast loading and choice of font and background colors and the touchscreen.

Rasputina, are you saying you don't read on the Kindle itself anymore, for the most part ?

Offline Rasputina

• View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: May 27, 2009, 08:40:47 pm »
    yea, I rarely use mine anymore. In fact I finally got up the nerve to show the hubby how to use it and offered it to him to use.

• Berkeley, CA
      • View Profile
      • A Kindle World
    « Reply #35 on: May 28, 2009, 12:32:54 am »
    yea, I rarely use mine anymore. In fact I finally got up the nerve to show the hubby how to use it and offered it to him to use.

Interesting.  I'm mesmerized by mine but I like the quality of some of the latest apps for iPhones.

Thanks for the reply.

Offline reemixx

• Australia
    • The Geeks Shall Inherit The Earth
      • View Profile
      • RhiannonFloyd.com
    « Reply #36 on: May 28, 2009, 01:00:49 am »

Whoa. Opposites. The entire reason I bought a K1 was because I was getting annoyed reading Kindle books on the tiny screen of the iPhone. It's good in a pinch, and I do use it to read samples, but that's about it for me.

Different people, different tastes, and all that. I'm still REALLY happy Amazon brought out the app, though. The more choice we have, the better.

Offline libros_lego

• California
      • View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: May 28, 2009, 01:13:44 am »
    I only like using the kindle app for short period of times like when I'm waiting for my sister to finish her shopping. Either way, I love it that I'm able to read when I need to kill some time.
    "Don't do what you can't undo, until you've considered what you can't do once you've done it."--King Shrewd (Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb)

Offline ashash

• View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: May 08, 2010, 08:29:21 pm »
    wow that was a very well thought out review! thanks your your insight! :)

Offline hsuthard

• Honolulu, HI
      • View Profile
      • Suthard, Party of Five
    « Reply #39 on: May 08, 2010, 08:45:15 pm »
    For me, the iPhone app is perfect when I'm out in public. I don't usually have my kindle with me at like, say, the mall, but I can pull out my phone while I have a cup of coffee. It's very inconspicuous, too, which can be nice.
    -- Holly.

The more we live, the more beautiful we are.

Offline Mombearra

• View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: May 28, 2010, 09:46:29 pm »

My daughter (and her young eyes) loves reading via the Kindle app on the iPhone.  I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Kindle app on the iPad.  I don't have one (very pricey) but was thinking waaayy in the future for Christmas versus whatever electronic readers are out at the time.

Offline Sheila29

• View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: February 03, 2011, 07:24:21 am »
      My first introduction to the Kindle was on my Iphone. Of course after seeing it there, I had to go out and by the real thing  ;D

KBoards.com

• Advertisement